Aftermarket sub/amp issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket sub/amp issues

Ok, guys...I don't post here much, but I need some help. I have an aftermarket sub & amp hooked up via a LOC. After I installed everything, it worked just fine for a while. Well, I live in New Mexico where it gets pretty hot in the summer. Last summer I noticed some issues with the sub not working. It would randomly shut off. I ignored it for the most part, and had no issues with it through the winter. I decided it was the amp, since it was 6 or 7 years old and replaced that with a brand new one. Well, same thing over the winter I had no issues with it. Come summer, however it started doing it again. I've gone over the wiring a few times, and made sure everything was wired nice, and it is. I don't think it's an issue with the amp, since it's brand new (and it did the same thing with the old amp) nor do I think it has anything to do with the wiring.

Here's what i've noticed:

1. I took a road trip up to the Colorado mountains, and it worked just fine.
2. Sometimes, if I go into settings and turn the subwoofer setting all the way up, it will come on.
3. Sometimes, if it's off and i go over a speed-bump it will come on

Considering everything, it makes me think it's an issue with the LOC. However, i'm not positive on that. Figured i'd get some input from everyone here. What do you guys think? Anything I should look for? As always, any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
It could be a variety of things from the AMP overheating to the LOC not functioning properly and messing up the turn on for the amp or the amp going into protection mode

The best thing to do is check the amp when this happens and see if the protection light is on, see if the amplifier is even running and as well to try putting in a new LOC.
The following users liked this post:
AM046SP (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed my old system in another members TL and we had intermittent issues with his sub also. We replaced the amp, checked the ground wires, fuses, and even all the wiring like you stated. Ended up up replacing the sub and he's had no issues with it since.

Did you double check to see if the original amp that was 6-7 years old was bad? Hope this helps some!
The following users liked this post:
AM046SP (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
It could be a variety of things from the AMP overheating to the LOC not functioning properly and messing up the turn on for the amp or the amp going into protection mode

The best thing to do is check the amp when this happens and see if the protection light is on, see if the amplifier is even running and as well to try putting in a new LOC.
I'll have to check tonight, after work, but last time I checked the amp was running fine. IE, the main green light was on. I don't think the amp has a separate protection light, I believe the main light turns red if there is an issue. I'll check the main remote wire, in the fuse box tonight as I believe that is the olnly wire I didn't check. If that doesn't work, i'll try a new LOC.

Originally Posted by donnieb83
I installed my old system in another members TL and we had intermittent issues with his sub also. We replaced the amp, checked the ground wires, fuses, and even all the wiring like you stated. Ended up up replacing the sub and he's had no issues with it since.

Did you double check to see if the original amp that was 6-7 years old was bad? Hope this helps some!
Well, I know it's not the sub. I've had two different subs in there, with the same thing happening. One was a Sony (which is now in my Jeep, and working fine) and the one in there currently is a Boston. Even had two different boxes.

TBH, I sold the amp to a friend of a friend. I explained to him what was going on, and he still paid $50 for it. I aleady had an amp and sub in the TL, and the Jeep so I had no use for it. He installed it in my driveway, and it worked just fine then, but i'm not sure after that.