Aftermarket Radio Installs?? Is It Even Possible

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Radio Installs?? Is It Even Possible

Well Ive been tearing through this and many other forums to find out if it is at all possible to install an aftermarket radio in a 3G Tl (2004 TL Non-Navi if it makes a difference) I understand that this is gonna be met with harsh responses....i seen some kid get castrated with a brick for asking how to bypass the seatbelt chime but all i wanna know is if it is possible im not concerned about probable just wanna know if anywhere makes a dash kit or if someone somebody knows has customed one b4 I had an 03 type-s with a pioneer avic-d3 with my ipod integrated and well i got spoiled.....and frankly none of the newest ipod interfaces could even hold a candle to the d3 so i am thinking about replacing radios....i know this is long but also if a radio install has been done do u know about keeping the bluetooth ( i figure its a long shot)
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
the blue tooth is handled by the Radio, so replacing it wouldn't keep it. I would highly recommend a carputer setup if you want a navi, And great ipod integration. Otherwise, the only way to replace the factory unit is to rip it out, including the AMP and get a custom dash kit (none are made for the 3G tl) and put in a new HU with new wires for the stock speakers.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

yeah well i figured id have to bypass the amp i dunno about ripping it out cuz if i ever trade it back in im gonna be stuffing the radio back in a carputer isnt a bad idea but honestly im looking for something more conventional i went on crutchfield and it told me that i would need a "modified kit" to put in a radio now does that mean i gotta 'glass the entire center console or do they make something similar that i can nip and tuck?? i mean i seen dozens of systems on here and no one has ever touched the stock radio.....i mean it cant be that great of a radio could it?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

oh and also i know i had to get a custom kit made for my 03 cuz it was double din does anyone know of anyone who makes a custom kit for3g's???
Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

no one makes the kit, only customs. The only thing that needs the plate is just the radio, the area form disk insertion to the 1-6 cd numbers. The factory stero is pretty good and keeps the functionality of the car. A carptuer is the easiest way to go and can be hooked up to the factory deck using a aux in such as an USA SPEC HON2Y which also allows for Ipod hookup which gives control from steering, or the dice unit which gives IPOD text too.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock HU is indeed very good. Someone has won SQ events with the stock HU. It's only drawback is the variable factory EQ that change the bass and treble as the volume changes.

If you want navi and bluetooth then the Pioneer avic-d3 or the eclipse avn6610 may be for you. Both offer optional bluethooth add-ons. The only thing you'll lose is the steering wheel controls. And yes you will need to make a custom kit to install it.

Most members shy away from this because aftermarket installs leave those ugly halfmoon cut-outs where the knob are located.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Intermediate

thank u thats all i needed to hear....cuz i was wondering WTF!? i looked at about 20 different cars on here and no body touched the radio....at all...like 6 grand of components and subs and eqs all offf the stock radio.....i guess ill have to look heavily into this dice adapter cuz my main sell is the ipod......its gotta have a good interface and from what i read ppl are all excited about it saying oooo it displays texts i mean thats cool but i gotta be able to search thru my ipod easily i got over 30 gig's of music on it sooo i guess my final question would be how easy is the interface wit dice and do u know of maybe like a video of its use in action that would be tremendous
Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3pt2TypeS
thank u thats all i needed to hear....cuz i was wondering WTF!? i looked at about 20 different cars on here and no body touched the radio....at all...like 6 grand of components and subs and eqs all offf the stock radio.....i guess ill have to look heavily into this dice adapter cuz my main sell is the ipod......its gotta have a good interface and from what i read ppl are all excited about it saying oooo it displays texts i mean thats cool but i gotta be able to search thru my ipod easily i got over 30 gig's of music on it sooo i guess my final question would be how easy is the interface wit dice and do u know of maybe like a video of its use in action that would be tremendous
I personally have the USA SPEC HON2Y, though it does not display text, it retains XM radio. As well, you can program the radio's butons1-5 to play certain playlists. The USA SPEC allows control from the steeringwheel and the IPOD at the same time, I am not sure if the dice does this. If all you want is an Ipod hookup, look into the Dice unit and the USA SPEC. If you want a navi and the other cool things, look into a carpter, just search for carputer and you should pull up some good threads.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I've only seen one aftermarket HU install on an 05 TL that looked halfway decent. It was installed next to the e-brake handle. Go to www.zapco.com the forums section, page 4 of Installs has photo's of the install.

As King of Pain said, the stock HU is really good, and if all you are looking for is iPod functionality, it is awefully expensive and a lot of work to switch out HU's...go for one of the iPod link systems.

I am having my whole system redone, pretty much the same equipment, just different configuration: Three compenents in the kicks (mid-bass, mid range, and tweeter), new amp rack, and potentially new sub set-up...no rear fill or center channel. May be adding the 360.2 as well...we'll see. Work is going to be done the two weeks after Thanksgiving...should be real sweet
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

thanx for the link i gotta check it out but yeah the more i look into it the more frustrating it is cuz i like somethings about stock and my only real gripe is lack of ipod ease of use (i know they have kits but i really liked how my d3 interfaced with the ipod) but good luck wit ur project be sure to post pics.....btw if i ever hit the lottery its gonna be a carputer in there a week later haha
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3pt2TypeS
thanx for the link i gotta check it out but yeah the more i look into it the more frustrating it is cuz i like somethings about stock and my only real gripe is lack of ipod ease of use (i know they have kits but i really liked how my d3 interfaced with the ipod) but good luck wit ur project be sure to post pics.....btw if i ever hit the lottery its gonna be a carputer in there a week later haha
carputers are pretty cheap compared to full systems. A carputer is pretty cheap, you will need a screen and computer, thats it. I did one, it cost me 800 dollars since I had to connect it to my OEM navi system, but for you it would be much cheaper, if you have a spare PC lying around maybe less than 200 dollars.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

yeah but i aint that technically savvy but i do agree that it would be bad ass i dunno i think im gonna try the dice solution being as its less then 200 bux and if i hate it well...take it from there and sell the dice thing on ebay thank u for all ur hep tho it has been beneficial....also for King of Pain i checked out zapco.....yeah not so much....def would hum the song to myself wit no radio b4 putting my radio in sideways and upside down below the armrest....but hey at least u gave me some sorta feedback
Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just a matter of finding the right shop to install an aftermarket head unit with the factory amplifier. The factory amp has a few low level signals and remote turn-on wire to work on my 05 TL. I had invested and clean sweep, USA Spec ipod interface and regret it. It's much better just to change the stereo, you get much better functions. I have the Kenwood DNX7160 with bluetooth and steering wheel controls connected.

The shop used the factory bracket to hold the radio, shaved the kenwood trim to size and recovered the side and center pieces. I've never been happier with this car.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:44 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:51 AM
6th Gear

looks amazing, im trying to do the same to mine. but im keep getting stuck somewhere