Aftermarket HU ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket HU ideas

Greetings,

I've been contemplating this for awhile. What do people would look good? I'll need some basic features, looking for high end sound, iPod control, steering wheel controls, and Bluetooth if possible. Don't need a dsp, I'm very happy with my zapco processing.

I have a deh-80prs in my truck with basic amps, poor speaker locations, medium grade speakers and it sounds good It has all the features I want, but feels cheap.

My ideas-

P99rs with a pioneer 6-disc in dash under it - overkill with the hu, but it should sound good!

80prs with the 6-disc, will sound good, but look??

Mcintosh mx-406 with volt meter- $$, and not all the features, but damn sexy

Double din mcintosh 6-dish hu. (Subaru version)

Would love to hear other ideas, I have the dark leather/trim tls interior.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
A single din isnt going to look good at all no matter the model, the best LOOKING setup is stock because it obviously flows the best. Believe it or not there is a lot of exapandability possible with the factory head unit. Mine has full ipod control, bluetooth and all those goodies and i didnt have to try to fit any kind of aftermarket/non factory looking radio to get all of that.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Double din for sure. Anything smaller will look out of place and have an ugly plastic cover.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Agreed, while I have not found many dd head units, I'll def do a dd install by adding a din changer or volt meter, or something

As far as keeping stock, I've had the car for 5 years, stock novelty is wearing off, I'd like to get better iPod sound, and I simply want to try it. I can always switch back.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Mac
Agreed, while I have not found many dd head units, I'll def do a dd install by adding a din changer or volt meter, or something

As far as keeping stock, I've had the car for 5 years, stock novelty is wearing off, I'd like to get better iPod sound, and I simply want to try it. I can always switch back.
The iSimple and USASpec ipod modules have GREAT sound quality for factory radios. If you dont want to stay stock then definitely do your research on double din's and do even more research on installations of them because thats where it gets tricky since theres no kit for them so you have to get creative.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Here you go....

Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
The iSimple and USASpec ipod modules have GREAT sound quality for factory radios. If you dont want to stay stock then definitely do your research on double din's and do even more research on installations of them because thats where it gets tricky since theres no kit for them so you have to get creative.
Maybe it's just me but I find the iSimple thru the factory radio to be lacking. It sounds a lot lower than a CD or even when I use the iPod thru an Aux cable. I too am thinking about doing an aftermarket double din radio.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Maybe it's just me but I find the iSimple thru the factory radio to be lacking. It sounds a lot lower than a CD or even when I use the iPod thru an Aux cable. I too am thinking about doing an aftermarket double din radio.
Your install is nice btw, it's a shame today did not work out
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
A single din isnt going to look good at all no matter the model, the best LOOKING setup is stock because it obviously flows the best. Believe it or not there is a lot of exapandability possible with the factory head unit. Mine has full ipod control, bluetooth and all those goodies and i didnt have to try to fit any kind of aftermarket/non factory looking radio to get all of that.
Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
Double din for sure. Anything smaller will look out of place and have an ugly plastic cover.
Really?????

I thought mine looked pretty good.

Gary, I would honestly go with the P99. As you can see, it matches really well in appearance with the glass front and the white display, plus the iPod functionality is really good. I agree though, the McIntosh looks damn sexy and the SQ is amazing.

Last edited by niebur3; 08-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
prankay (07-21-2020)
Old 08-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Mac
Your install is nice btw, it's a shame today did not work out
Thx man. I was really looking forward to the meet. I'm having trouble with the 6 to 8 clipping and was hoping the guys could help me figure the problem out. I'm interested in what you come up with for an aftermarket radio, I think that's my next project. There's a shop that I follow on IG that did double din and iPad mini in a TL-S. I've been talking to a guy from the shop to see about my options.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by niebur3
Really?????

I thought mine looked pretty good.

Gary, I would honestly go with the P99. As you can see, it matches really well in appearance with the glass front and the white display, plus the iPod functionality is really good. I agree though, the McIntosh looks damn sexy and the SQ is amazing.
Agreed, your install gave me the idea, I think that hu with the DVD changer you had mounted under it will look sweet. It's got to sound better too.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Thx man. I was really looking forward to the meet. I'm having trouble with the 6 to 8 clipping and was hoping the guys could help me figure the problem out. I'm interested in what you come up with for an aftermarket radio, I think that's my next project. There's a shop that I follow on IG that did double din and iPad mini in a TL-S. I've been talking to a guy from the shop to see about my options.
Did you talk to mic about the 6-8 clipping?

If you go to the Pottsville show, there will be several guys running the 6-8 there, if you never been to a comp, it's like 8 hours of waiting, so you will have plenty of time to talk to ppl.