After reading a zillion threads - I need IPOD help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading a zillion threads - I need IPOD help please

I've been a way for a little while, so I might be a little out of the loop - but can someone guide me in the right direction as far as the direct connect for the Ipod? I have an 05TL with navi - what are my options? http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9...iclink16qu.jpg ? I also looked up the IceLink Plus - but it seems like you have to have playlists set up in order for it to work - and I don't want to do that.....

So - If I want the BEST sound possible, what do I use? I don't mind changing the song on the IPOD - or if I can search by artist on HU - what is the best for that?

HELP!!!

THANK YOU

Marc
Old 08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I have the Blitzsafe adapter for the iPod: 06 TL with Navi

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...LINK1_V2X.html
+'s: it's relatively cheap- $79/ $ w/ shipping (for M-Link/V.2x)
easy installation/ no drilling through dash (like Drive and Play)
works through iPod interface (not off the radio)- guess that's a minus
steering wheel controls (for volume) can be used

-'s: have to look at the iPod to change song

Try this site off apple.com
http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/accessories.html

It's a list of all the interfaces for the car.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

I have the USASPEC, and I love it.

Pros:
- can use steering wheel controls to change tracks
- iPod can be placed anywhere you need to (mine is in the upper compartment above the gearshift)
- It can be used to shuffle within playlist, or via direct control of the iPod
- Charges the iPod
- Great sound
- Powered off of the stereo - only one connection required
- Works with XM (with the y-cable)

Cons:
- It's quirky when changing from another source (like FM) to the iPod - you have to push the disc + button twice to get it to work (alleged future update will fix)

I like it - you should check it out
Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the USASpec. Works perfectly - no bleedover from the XM, and i've noticed no quirks in switching sources. The only thing is that i've noticed you have to have the iPod connected before you start the car - or you would have to turn the radio off and then on again to get it work right. I love being able to control the iPod from the device if needed but still have the ability to use the buttons on the dash/steering wheel if i just want to change the song. It's the best choice IMO. Also, the USA Spec has extra inputs in case you ever want to add Sirius or some other source. It works by changing the Disc # on the HU. If you activate the AUX ports on the USA Spec, Disc 1 is the iPod and Disc 6 is the AUX. This can be disabled though like I did and then there is no Disc # displayed - and the iPod works great. I considered Drive and Play but its just too much to put in the car and you STILL need an AUX adapter.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Lt. Dangle

ronbarr, quantum31 -- What year TL do you guys have? I have a 2005 and hear the USASpec does not function properly in the 2005.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by quantum13
Get the USASpec. Works perfectly - no bleedover from the XM, and i've noticed no quirks in switching sources. The only thing is that i've noticed you have to have the iPod connected before you start the car - or you would have to turn the radio off and then on again to get it work right. I love being able to control the iPod from the device if needed but still have the ability to use the buttons on the dash/steering wheel if i just want to change the song. It's the best choice IMO. Also, the USA Spec has extra inputs in case you ever want to add Sirius or some other source. It works by changing the Disc # on the HU. If you activate the AUX ports on the USA Spec, Disc 1 is the iPod and Disc 6 is the AUX. This can be disabled though like I did and then there is no Disc # displayed - and the iPod works great. I considered Drive and Play but its just too much to put in the car and you STILL need an AUX adapter.
i have a 2005 tl with navi
i use the usa spec i hate it...it bleeds
Old 08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by luniz97
i have a 2005 tl with navi
i use the usa spec i hate it...it bleeds
no bleed here................love my USAspec
Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda Fan

I have a 2004 w/ no problems using the USA Spec.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:19 PM
5th Gear

usaspec for ipod or other?

I'm about to buy an '06 TL with nav and was told that the iPod displays tunes and such on the nav screen - but I've also been told the opposite. What's the truth? are there other choices?

bartone
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by bartone
I'm about to buy an '06 TL with nav and was told that the iPod displays tunes and such on the nav screen - but I've also been told the opposite. What's the truth? are there other choices?

bartone
The ipod will not (on its own) display any information on the screen. Not with the acura music link or anyother device.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:52 AM
5th Gear

iPod integration - how 'bout the '07?

Originally Posted by lembowski
The ipod will not (on its own) display any information on the screen. Not with the acura music link or anyother device.
Of course, my dealer said it would, but I've not seen it - I'm sure it was BS. So, will the '07 display the tunes? Will the RL? Anyone know? Odd how such a small thing becomes important, but hey, it's all I listen to.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Trucki!!

Of course, my dealer said it would, but I've not seen it - I'm sure it was BS. So, will the '07 display the tunes? Will the RL? Anyone know? Odd how such a small thing becomes important, but hey, it's all I listen to.
Who really knows? You'll have to wait till the 07 comes out for that. On the pictures of the 07 that are out it shows an aux cable (that would lead me to think no).....we have no word on the RL that I've seen. Anyways the $15k more for the RL isn't worth it for music showing on the screen.........atleast to me.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lembowski

Well, of course I bought the Acura link the other day - and it did not work like the dealer said........... what do I need to do it make it more user friendly

Thanks

marc
Old 08-18-2006, 03:38 AM
SSM 6MT

2004 and USASPEC, wish it would automatically play when you hook it up and turn on the radio (hit or miss, some times it works, most times it doesn't). Other than that, I love it. Where's this firmware update and how do we get it?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by Magnutz
Well, of course I bought the Acura link the other day - and it did not work like the dealer said........... what do I need to do it make it more user friendly

Thanks

marc
Well the only way to get ipod information on the screen is with the valor ilink. But with this you also need the DOM unit and a audio device like the USAspec or PIEx3. Total cost will run you around $600 for everything if you do the install yourself. $800 if you pay a shop. This is the only way we have seen to get ipod info on the screen. Yet even with this you have to use a remote to make your selections, since the touch screen will not work with the ipod.

So in sort you can either use the Acura Music link, USAspec, or the option above. The USAspec will be the least expensive option.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enormus
ronbarr, quantum31 -- What year TL do you guys have? I have a 2005 and hear the USASpec does not function properly in the 2005.
I have a 2006 TL. I don't get any bleeding from XM at all - the iPod sound is very very good, much better than XM. I am using the standard Y-cable.

Except for occasional oddness when switching sources, it works fine. Your mileage may vary - it likes some cars better than others, apparently.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:58 AM
5th Gear

Which adapter?

Originally Posted by ronbarr
I have a 2006 TL. I don't get any bleeding from XM at all - the iPod sound is very very good, much better than XM. I am using the standard Y-cable.

Except for occasional oddness when switching sources, it works fine. Your mileage may vary - it likes some cars better than others, apparently.
Ron,
What adapter are you using, and how's the useability with it? Dealer installed or not? Can you still recieve XM?
Bartone
Old 08-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Ron,
What adapter are you using, and how's the useability with it? Dealer installed or not? Can you still recieve XM?
Bartone
From post #3:

Originally Posted by ronbarr
I have the USASPEC, and I love it...
Read the whole post above.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Hi Guys - Does the ipod link show the ipod screen/menu on the Navi ? Mine is a 06 TL with Navi.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda Fan

Nothing from the iPod shows up on the screen or anywhere else. Honda radios don't support text. I presume that you are talking about the Acura factory link - which sucks. Do yourself a favor and go aftermarket. The acura link locks up the screen of the ipod and all you can do is navigate with the voice tags you set up with the acura software or change songs with the channel buttons. I have a USA Spec iPod adapter which allows me to control from the radio with the channel buttons or the iPod to manage what i want to listen to. The Acura product is dismal. Either way though, nothing will ever show up on the screen.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM
6th Gear

It looks like none of the aftermarket solutions allow you to advance from song to song using the "channel up" button on the steering wheel or dashboard radio controls, right?

I had three big techie requirements for my new car: Navi, Bluetooth and iPod integration. My 06 TL is great, but it looks like #3 isn't panning out too well. I don't want to look at or have to grab an iPod to change songs, especially when I'm zipping down I-95 in the mornings.

Maybe Acura will bring out a new version soon which won't suck :-)
Old 11-30-2006, 10:59 PM
SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by brikelly
It looks like none of the aftermarket solutions allow you to advance from song to song using the "channel up" button on the steering wheel or dashboard radio controls, right?
The USASpec does allow the use of the channel up/down button on the steering wheel for the next or previous track selection.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Most of this is covered here: 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ

You will also find direct links to other threads for each adapter.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 AM
6th Gear

Thanks rstark and datmrman - I know you're probably sick of sending people to that FAQ.

Believe it or not, but I had read the FAQ -- it's just that I only scanned the "pros+cons" of each adapter, and the USASpec one says "Pros: Direct control via iPod". I missed the bit in the text above it which said that it can be controlled from the wheel too.

In a word: Doh! :-)