Adding extra thump

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Adding extra thump

I heard that there is a way you can add subs to the existing system without taking apart the whole system. Anyone ever heard of a adding subs to the factory system just by modding or tapping into the speaker inputs? I know this can be done, but I'm not sure how?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I've heard of that too. You can tap into the sub's speaker wires by accessing the the subwoofer from your trunk. You'll have to drop the liner to expose the sub. While lying in the trunk, you can get to the sub's wires. The audio signal from the sub's speaker wires will sound fine. Tap into the speaker wires and extend it to where ever you decide to mount your amp. If your amp doesn't have high level inputs then you'll need a LOC. Make sure your amp has a crossover.
Run a cable from your battery to the amp for main power and run a remote turn on wire to your amp if it requires one.

If you add some subs, I suggest you atleast change out your tweeters because the stock ones sound a little too flat.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I've got a Kenwood eXcelon Amp 2 channel and 3 MTX Subs. Hope I'll be able to power everything. Thing this will be a hard unstall (as in how many hours)?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I've got a Kenwood eXcelon Amp 2 channel and 3 MTX Subs. Hope I'll be able to power everything. Think this will be a hard install (as in how many hours)? LOC<-------??????
Old 08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SlimTL,

You've never heard of Tone LOCs? Kidding, (Line output converter) if your amp doesn't already have one built in for speaker level inputs. Walmart sells a $20 Scosche brand that will work fine for the sub.

The time it will take to install your equipment depends on your experience and how elaborate you want to get. Two to six hours probably but you can go for days depending what you end up installing. Just keep it clean to test the system before you put it all back together.

Here are some threads to adding a sub, remote signal and changing out tweeters. This should give you a little more insight on how easy it should be.

Do you already have a prebuilt sub enclosure or are you going custom? Where are you planning to mount your amp? What is your amp rating and what size/ohm subs do you have?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crook
SlimTL,

You've never heard of Tone LOCs? Kidding, (Line output converter) if your amp doesn't already have one built in for speaker level inputs. Walmart sells a $20 Scosche brand that will work fine for the sub.

The time it will take to install your equipment depends on your experience and how elaborate you want to get. Two to six hours probably but you can go for days depending what you end up installing. Just keep it clean to test the system before you put it all back together.

Here are some threads to adding a sub, remote signal and changing out tweeters. This should give you a little more insight on how easy it should be.

Do you already have a prebuilt sub enclosure or are you going custom? Where are you planning to mount your amp? What is your amp rating and what size/ohm subs do you have?
My previous car was a 2000 Honda Accord V6. It was tricked out, but the transmission went out so I opted for the TL instead of spending 4 grand for repairs.
I had a Kenwood Screen with 10- disc changer, a 2-channel 900watts X 1 amp(400 watts R.M.S.), and a sub box with 3 ten inch MTX speakers (4ohms). I sold my screen but wanted to keep the amp and subs. Thought I would add them to the TL because the stock sub isn't powerful enough for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, it sounds clean and I love it, but I like to "feel" my music a little more, so I just wanted to enhance the bass a little more. I might mount the amp on either the Enclosure or the back of the seat in the trunk. Thanks for the Threads!! I love theTL sound system, but would just like a little more bass
Old 08-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know more about this too.
What subs have you purchased for your TL?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Using 10" MTX subs from previous car