Adding aftermarket amp to power stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012 | 01:38 PM
Instructor

Adding aftermarket amp to power stock speakers

Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed already but I didn't want to hi-jack anyone's thread so I thought I start m own for a little input. I'm also a newbie and would getting help from a friend who runs a stereo shop.

I don't want to add a subwoofer or lose the center channel. Some of the other posts have mentioned if I removed the stock amp, I'd lose the center channel and the navi prompts would have to be routed to one of the other speakers.

This is what I'd like to do. Add a aftermarket amp to power the stock speakers with no intention of adding a sub or losing the center channel. I just want a cleaner sound with a little more bump.

1. Can this be done with just adding an amp and keeping the stock amp?
2. What amps do you guys recommend? I been hearing good things from the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4.

Let me know if there's anything else I should know.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012 | 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am no expect but willing to help. The PBR300x4 is a four channel amp. You can get 2 amps. One 5 channel for the four speaker and sub., one 2 channel for the center. FYI. Replacing the amp without replacing the speakers is not a big improvement in sound.
Old 12-24-2012 | 05:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by THTL
I am no expect but willing to help. The PBR300x4 is a four channel amp. You can get 2 amps. One 5 channel for the four speaker and sub., one 2 channel for the center. FYI. Replacing the amp without replacing the speakers is not a big improvement in sound.
Can I hold onto the stock amp for for the center channel?
Old 12-25-2012 | 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/mild-grade-fever-854353/

My build thread. all your questions have been answered numerous times in different build threads. keep center and rears on OEM amp. add 5 channel amp. bridged or active to the front components and sub.
Old 12-26-2012 | 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pohljm
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854353

My build thread. all your questions have been answered numerous times in different build threads. keep center and rears on OEM amp. add 5 channel amp. bridged or active to the front components and sub.
Thank you but that thread looks insane and I don't even understand most of it. I'll keep trying to read through it.

I'm still confused on why 5 channel amp if I don't want to add an aftermarket sub. I'm sorry.....I'm a stupid newbie.
Old 12-28-2012 | 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Less the IB baffle fabrication, that is actually one of the simplest builds to obtain quality sound that you will find. replace OEM speakers with quality components and add a amp that works well with the acura HU. Trust me you will want to upgrade your sub. you could get by with a 2 channel, but why limit yourself? when you decide to upgrade later it will just cost you more money.
Old 12-28-2012 | 07:39 PM
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by warrior15r
Hi Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed already but I didn't want to hi-jack anyone's thread so I thought I start m own for a little input. I'm also a newbie and would getting help from a friend who runs a stereo shop.

I don't want to add a subwoofer or lose the center channel. Some of the other posts have mentioned if I removed the stock amp, I'd lose the center channel and the navi prompts would have to be routed to one of the other speakers.

This is what I'd like to do. Add a aftermarket amp to power the stock speakers with no intention of adding a sub or losing the center channel. I just want a cleaner sound with a little more bump.

1. Can this be done with just adding an amp and keeping the stock amp?
2. What amps do you guys recommend? I been hearing good things from the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4.

Let me know if there's anything else I should know.

Thanks!
Yes you can keep keep the stock amp for the center, rears, and use an aftermarket amp with a crossover for the front stage but you probably will be disappointed with the sound from the factory speakers and as far as the amp install goes it's not very straight forward and will require some work. First since your probably want to add the amp to the front speakers then your going to want to grab the audio signal prior to the factory amp to minimize noise so that might require a line driver. There's a few other things to consider so do our research.

As for me I current have 3 amps in my system and an Audicontrol Matrix line driver. First amp is for my front stage, front doors and tweeters. The second amp is for sub and the last amp is the factory amp which is for center and rears. All aftermarket speakers and amp where wired with Stinger cable and doors and trunk sealed and deaden. all I've spent about $1500 which is not much since I've reused a lot of my components from previous installs. So just a warning once you start your probably gonna keep on going.