AcuraLink and Verizon Wireless....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AcuraLink and Verizon Wireless....

Alright, I'm back on my AcuraLink kick....there HAS to be a solution to this. I've tried the "easy setup" with no luck. I've tried the following custom setup:

DIAL STRING: #777

USER NAME: 5555555555@vzw3g.com (with the series of 5s being my phone number)

PASSWORD: vzw

I get nothing....the phone goes as far as disconnecting from bluetooth, and seemingly attempting to "connect", but then I get the "Connection not Confirmed" message on the nav screen.

Has ANYONE has success with AcuraLink and Verizon Wireless (using a BlackBerry as a handset)????
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the exact same issues... any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So'm I. At first I thought it was my crappy 5 year old phone, but now I have a Droid, which can damn near drive the car by itself, and it still won't connect.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shadowkahn
So'm I. At first I thought it was my crappy 5 year old phone, but now I have a Droid, which can damn near drive the car by itself, and it still won't connect.
I'm convinced it's a Verizon Wireless issue....anyone know anyone who works at VZW???
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Racer

What protocol is used by Acuralink to send and receive data? Is it a modem type setup, where various tones transmit data over the phone, or is it actually using the data side of your phone in a tether? I had assumed it was the previous, in which case it shouldn't matter what carrier you're on. But it's starting to look like it's a tether-like setup.

If that's the case, then that's probably why it doesn't work, because Verizon supposedly disables tethering by default. That's due to change - soon, I think, but from what I hear, if they catch you tethering, they'll charge you a second dataplan charge - so $60 a month instead of $30. Disclaimer: Those are just rumors I've been reading on Android forums. Whether they're true or not is anyone's guess.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Racer

Interesting update. I had the car in for some minor warranty work, and just for fun I asked them to check the acuralink system and make sure it was functional, and then tell me what protocol it uses to send data, as I still strongly suspect that Verizon is blocking it for some reason.

The tech called later and told me "the systems in the TL are so advanced that only one phone will work with them -the rest haven't caught up yet."

He also told me that if your phone doesn't work it doesn't matter, because the car sends the data up to the XM satellite, which was also, of course, BS, as the TL does not have a satellite transmitter on it.

So I explained that any car that first came out in '04 that still isn't compatible in 2010 must be incredibly advanced, Skunkworks-level stuff, and therefore I knew they were trying to snow me. Now I've got the service director calling the project manager for Acuralink to find out exactly how the system uses your phone to transmit the data.

Once we know that, we should be able to determine how and why Verizon is blocking us.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For what its worth, i have an iphone running on tmobile and the acuralink did the same thing to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Keep us updated.....i've had lengthy conversations with my service manager and AcuraLink service, and they both have no clue......your guy's response was priceless!!!! "Phone is not compatible".........LOL....my BlackBerry (or respective iPhone) has more computing power than our entire car's computing system!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spinxt
Keep us updated.....i've had lengthy conversations with my service manager and AcuraLink service, and they both have no clue......your guy's response was priceless!!!! "Phone is not compatible".........LOL....my BlackBerry (or respective iPhone) has more computing power than our entire car's computing system!!!
Exactly. Something tells me my Droid should be compatible with. . pretty much everything.

He called back and said it required a phone capable of data - - i.e. a "smart" phone (his emphasis). So I asked him exactly how a Droid does not qualify as a "smart" phone.

I'm starting to think that A-link uses some weird little protocol that's about a millimeter off of standard, which means many phones reject it out of hand - same way webpages written with "standard" HTML don't work so well on Internet Explorer.

To get further on this I think we'd somehow have to get in contact with the actual designer of A-link, rather than the guys who support it, because no one at the service level really seems to understand how it works.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Instructor

yea I have a droid too and I been trying to link it to my 07 TLS.. no clue yet.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Cruisin'

I read that some are having success if they have purchased the teathering option. I think verizon charges $15 a month for this. It let's you use the phone to connect your laptop to the internet, but apparently may be needed for acuralink, but haven't seen anyone who wasn't able to connect, add this option and then be able to connect.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Instructor

I was unable to connect with a Galaxy Nexus (I do pay for tethering/hotspot).

I tried this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...blue_dun&hl=en

and it connected on the first try...

Hope this helps someone....

Dave
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jpk7
I read that some are having success if they have purchased the teathering option. I think verizon charges $15 a month for this. It let's you use the phone to connect your laptop to the internet, but apparently may be needed for acuralink, but haven't seen anyone who wasn't able to connect, add this option and then be able to connect.
I have the tethering option and that doesn't make it work either. As for the dealer who said only one phone was so advanced, my old basic Sprint phone used to work with it.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM
07 TL-S

I tried to connect my iphone 4/5 and have the same issues. I'm with att. I don't there there's a difference with carriers. Just adaptability. I know some just posted a google set up. But I have no luck. Anyone out there was able to connect the acuralnk?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I've owned an 04 TL and an 08 TLS along with multiple Droid, BlackBerry and iPhones on both AT&T and Sprint. Never been able to get any combination to connect........