Acura TL 2004 MacMini "WorkLog"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Acura TL 2004 MacMini "WorkLog"

WorkLog MacTL
This is my new thread dedicated on my MacMini Installation. I'll try to post all information I used during my installation and will try my best to answer all question related on my install.
LAST UPDATE: 14/12/09

1- Relocate Non-Navi Display Under Stereo
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/acura-tl-2004-carpc-worklog-627572/

If you have any question on relocating the Non-Navi Display, post it here or send me a PM. I'll be more then happy to help.

2- Fabrication of Navi Bezel

I used some Dynatron 660 to work on the Navi Bezel. The best way to achieve this, was to dismantle my Xenarc and bondo the front part of the casing with my Bezel. That way, the screen is flush and it looks more OEM.

Once the shape is done, I primed the surface, sanded, primed, sanded. I first used some 80 Grid for the shaping steps, then I move to the 220 Grid and finished with some 1000 Grid + wet sanding.

I applied 3 primer coat. It wasn't for the coat, but more to see where the imperfections are. Remember to sand between each PRIMER & PAINT coat.

Primer : Gray high temp primer
Paint: Flat Black high temp engine paint

3- When the bezel is done it's time for test fit

Test fit before paint

Here's some test fit in the car, looks good.

@ this stage, the installation was only for test fit and MacOSX Configurations.

4- Wiring of the CARNETIX 1900 - Car Power Supply

You can find the CNX1900 in the mp3car.com store @
http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-010.htm

I'm also using the MacPac power cable. This is a must for an easy connections. NO NEED TO CREATE YOUR HARNESS.
http://store.mp3car.com/MacPac_Power..._p/cbl-086.htm

I finally bought this small wiring harness from a local electronic store. It gives you the opportunity to wire your Xenarc or Lilliput with the CNX1900 secondary 12v Output
http://store.mp3car.com/Extra_Monito..._p/adt-006.htm

**I know my car is dirty, but it was only for testing and configuration. I'll take some FINAL install pics later !!!

Next post will include a Wiring diagram for the CARNETIX & MacMini...
The following users liked this post:
Sj Espo (05-03-2012)
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to the next post about your....

Macura TL...
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
TL

Looks like you're off to a great start! What are you goals for this system? Navigation?

Are you replacing oem nav?

What are your running costs so far/expected total costs? If this can be done for under 1k I'd be very tempted to do it for my non nav 07.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by Paintballny
Are you replacing oem nav?
I have a Base 04 TL, so I simply relocated the HVAC Display below the Stereo.

Originally Posted by Paintballny
What are your running costs so far/expected total costs? If this can be done for under 1k I'd be very tempted to do it for my non nav 07.
I'll try to post a price list of all the stuff used....
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
"Advance"

Just a small Temperature log in case some people have some doubt.

The MAC devices impress me everyday!! **temperature here is without WIND

Monday december 14 : -12 Celcius ; Started Without delay
Tuesday december 15 : -10 Celcius ; Started Without delay
Wed december 16 : -15 Celcius ; Started Without delay
Thursday december 17 : -18 Celcius ; Started Without delay
Friday december 18 : -17 Celcius ; Started Without delay

All test have been done when the car was COLD AS ICE.

My Old CarPc: Intel base Windows XP wouldnt startup under 0 Celcius

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
"Advance"

Quick Price List

Touch Screen: Xenarc 700TSV 250$
System: MacMini 450$
Power: Carnetix 1900 100$
Cabling: MacPac 30$
Other Cabling: ALL gage wiring & 10A FUSE 30$
Audio: USB Creative Xmod 60$ + Noise Filter 5$
Other audio: P.I.E HON03 Ipod + RCA Auxiliar 100$

!! Time: Priceless !!

Total: 1025$
Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced

I'm curious to see how this works out. Good luck man!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by tigger76
I'm curious to see how this works out. Good luck man!
It's now installed and running for 3 months and didn't have any issue.

Will post a video when it will be 100% done.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Just letting you know that I'll be joining the mac'd TL soon. Picked up a Macbook Pro, moving the IMac to the wife, I get the mini for the car.

I also haven't forgotten about the joystick. I have been busy trying to help my mother in law back to health. I will get to it soon!

BTW, When you get a chance, can you post the specs? I am curious what frontend, navigation and specs of the mini.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Just letting you know that I'll be joining the mac'd TL soon. Picked up a Macbook Pro, moving the IMac to the wife, I get the mini for the car.

I also haven't forgotten about the joystick. I have been busy trying to help my mother in law back to health. I will get to it soon!

BTW, When you get a chance, can you post the specs? I am curious what frontend, navigation and specs of the mini.
Yeah I'll post this later today no problem!

As for the joystick, I'm having trouble connecting one single buttons, could you take a look @ the wiring diagram and let me know if you understand how I should for instance connect the MAP/GUIDE button to the Mini-Pac device....... I'm a little bit lost with that device....

Thanks bro!!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

Hey VMT,

I've read through a lot of your updates and pictures and just wanted to first off say thanks for everything (videos, links, ideas, etc). It's much appreciated.

A few questions:

What do you plan on putting in your bezeled out slots under your screen? The open rectangle, circle, and rectangle slots. Perhaps you mentioned it already, but I didn't see it? Apologies if so.

Do you have anything you would have done differently throughout the process? Any of the components you bought that you would have liked to gone another route? Different cables? Different wiring? Had any issues with it? Something that has just annoyed you about the whole thing?

And have you lost any of the "factory" functionality? Something like your XM radio doesn't work? CD Changer has no audio? Have to do some weird "button pressing" or turn something on in order to get sound working type of thing?

My apologies if these sound like retarded questions. I'm just trying to get a feel for what's "easiest" from someone who has been there and done that.

Thanks, buddy.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bryanray
Hey VMT,
What do you plan on putting in your bezeled out slots under your screen? The open rectangle, circle, and rectangle slots. Perhaps you mentioned it already, but I didn't see it? Apologies if so.
Ah, I'm an idiot. Those are the factory navigation buttons. You're planning on putting those in place to work with your CarPC then, right? I'm assuming that's the plan.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
"Advance"

Hey bryanray

I've read through a lot of your updates and pictures and just wanted to first off say thanks for everything (videos, links, ideas, etc). It's much appreciated.

Always nice to see that my contribution helps!!

A few questions:

This is the factory buttons, I'm rerouting those buttons to the mac so I can run some scripts/commands and use more functionality of the MAC OSx. Just to busy with the job right now to get this done...

Do you have anything you would have done differently throughout the process? Any of the components you bought that you would have liked to gone another route? Different cables? Different wiring? Had any issues with it? Something that has just annoyed you about the whole thing?

YES - I should have got a Mac Mini the first day instead of WindowsXP....that's the only regret I have...but I learned from that mistake and now my setup is working at 98.9%, still need to add some buttons and wiring...a carPc project is never really OVER, you just want to add more stuff and more stuff...

And have you lost any of the "factory" functionality? Something like your XM radio doesn't work? CD Changer has no audio? Have to do some weird "button pressing" or turn something on in order to get sound working type of thing?

NOP - that wasnt the goal, I gained A LOT!

Thanks, buddy.

No problem, don't hesitate if you have any questions relating carPCs!
Sj Espo (05-03-2012)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
"Advance"

SUCCESS: NAVI Buttons --> Keyboard Shortcut --> AppleScripts!!!

Frist I want to give credits to all forum users who helped me with finding the wiring of the NAVI buttons, I coudnt do this without your help!

Back on topic: (Get ready to read and understand)

The goal was to send commands to ICE3 with the help of AppleScript. Then I could assign some keyboard shortcuts to those scripts and those shortcuts would be assigned to a PowerMate or another USB joystick...

In my case I wanted to make it look OEM and took the chalange to reroute the OEM Navi buttons to my mac.

1st STEP: Find a module where I could connect my OEM Buttons
I found this: http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html
That tiny module is so easy to setup and gives me the chance to edit the command assigned to all buttons. I got more then I'm asking for with this device. I will explain how to program it later...

2nd STEP: Find a way to assign keyboard shortcut to my AppleScript
I've been searching the web since 2009 for this but didnt find anything good inside OSX to help me. So I found this: http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/
This is a BEAUTIFUL apps that lets you assign a bunch of stuff to some USB devices attached to your MAC. I wont get into the details here since I will give more explanation on how I used the software to acheive my goal!

3rd STEP: Create all my AppleScripts
I did this couple months ago just to see if it could be usable. Thank god IT IS!!!
First I used UIElementInspector to get some details on how ICE3 was defining his buttons. Then I went into the AppleScript Editor and started scripting. Here is my finished script that bring me back to the "HOME" screen of ICE3, no mater where I am in ICE3.

AppleScript - HomeScreen
Code:
if checkICE3Panel("Coverflow View") then
end if

if checkICE3Panel("Home") then
	tell application "System Events"
		tell process "ICE³"
			click button "Home" of group 1 of window 1
		end tell
	end tell
end if

if checkICE3Panel("Movie Bar") then
		tell process "ICE³"
			click at {11, 826}
		end tell
	end tell
end if

on checkICE3Panel(ButtonName)
		tell process "ICE³" to return name of every button of group 1 of window 1 contains ButtonName
	end tell

end checkICE3Panel
I know the code is not really optimized, but the goal is achieved...I will use it like this for now! Feel free to still my code :thumb: If you want to try it simply open AppleScript editor, copy paste the code inside, OPEN ICE3 and click PLAY in the AppleScript Editor. Where ever you are in ICE3, it will get you to the HOME Screen pretty simple script and really useful since I have a MENU OEM button

So, here I am with all this programming and wiring again ...

The story continue on the next post....

Last edited by VmtSquad; 04-14-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Sj Espo (05-03-2012)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
"Advance"

NaviButtons: 1st STEP - MiniPac Module Explanation & Wiring

Link to module used: http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html

This module is really easy to use. Here is the wiring diagram:

I have 32 possible buttons on the right side and some track ball and spinner possibility. For now, I'm only working with the switches (push buttons).

First I needed to find the correct wiring of my OEM buttons which I did with some friends from the tl.acurazine.com forum.

This is the OEM buttons I want to reroute!

Here is the wiring info of those buttons:

There's 11 wire, that are connected to 8 buttons and 1 spinning ball.

Wires
1 - light blue
2 - brown
3 - red
4 - dark blue
5 - black
6 - grey
7 - yellow
8 - pink
9 - dark green
10 - tan
11 - light green

Buttons / wires
1- MAP/Guide = Wire 7-8 ; yellow / pink
2- Menu = wire 8 - 5 ; Pink / Black
3- Setup = 9 - 5 ; dark-green / Black
4- Info = Wire 7-9 ; yellow / dark-green
5- Zoom(up) = wire 4-8 ; dark blue / pink
6- Zoom(down) = wire 1-8 ; Light blue / pink
7- Cancel = wire 4-9 ; dark blue / dark-green
8- Audio = wire 1-9 ; light blue / dark-green

Whit that info, I simply need to connect one wire to a switch on the module and the other wire to the ground on the module. Since one wire is used on 2 buttons, this is much more easier for me and makes less connections to make

When this is done we can go on the MAC and customize the firmware of the module.
Software:http://www.ultimarc.com/MacIPAC.dmg

The Software used here is MacIPAC, really simple to install and takes 2 minutes to understand.

Based on the previous image, you can see that I'm assigning a keyboard button to the SWITCH1. You would normally see the device connected on the left with the Type an ID.
When you done choosing which keyboard command to assign, you simply click on Upload to Device and thats it Your module is configured...

For testing purpose I simply opened a TextEdit window and clicked my button and saw the correct output.

**Here I had to be careful with choosing which keyboard shortcut to use since ICE3 has some Keyboard Mapping already configured. If the keyboard mapping already do something in ICE3 I cannot use the keyboard key in my module.

Anyway, it's not really helpfull to assign for instance "m" to a button, cause this would prevent me for using my keyboard to type text in a integrated browser, but this is another THING
Sj Espo (05-03-2012)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 PM
"Advance"

NaviButtons: 2nd STEP - Assign keyboard shortcuts to AppleScripts

Software used: http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

This software is really helpfull and could help many people who are limited with their USB controller. I tried it with the Griffin PowerMate and the posibility are unlimited...

Here's how it works:

The software starts and search for all devices attached to your computer. Once started, you can see all the device recognized and choose the one you wish to configure.

Here's the list of controller I had listed. When I connected my mini-Pac. It was listed in that list and I simply had to click on it to get a list of all the commands

Once you found the device, simply click on it and you'll get a command list associated to this device.

Here I used my USB mouse for that exemple. Whats really nice with this software is when you click the button on the device it shows in the commands list which button you press. If I click the right button on my mouse the "Button #2" lite up green PRETTY COOL!

Once we identified the controller then identified the button we want to use we can start programming. By programming I mean real UI programming, there's no code to write here lol THANK GOD!

Programming
Here I want to assign a script to the right click of my mouse. (I know its stupid, but it's simply for the write up)

So you simply drag and drop the command from the list and place it in the blank Programming board on the left. You will get this:

Next you want to assign a task to that button, In my case it will be an AppleScript.
What the script do: It checks which spaces is active and changes to the other one. If its space 1 it changes to space 2 ; if its space 2 it changes to space 1... here's the script:

Code:
set xxVar to 0
	tell process "SystemUIServer"
		set xVar to value of attribute "AXChildren" of menu bar 1
		set cVar to count of xVar
		repeat with iVar from 1 to cVar
			set zVar to value of attribute "AXDescription" of item iVar of xVar
			try
				if zVar = "spaces menu extra" then
					set xxVar to iVar
					exit repeat
				end if
			end try
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell
if xxVar = 0 then
	display dialog "Spaces Menu Extra not installed"
else
		tell process "SystemUIServer"
			set theCurrentSpace to value of menu bar item xxVar of menu bar 1
		end tell
	end tell
end if

if theCurrentSpace = "1" then
		tell process "Finder"
			keystroke "2" using command down
		end tell
	end tell
else
		tell process "Finder"
			keystroke "1" using command down
		end tell
	end tell
end if
Once your script is done you go back the Palette window in ControllerMate. In the drop down menu choose AppelScript. You'll get this:

Now drag and drop the AppleScript below the Button #2 into the UI interface on the left.

After you go in the Inspector window and choose the script to assign:

VOILÀ!

Now if I click on my right button mouse my script is executed ....

3rd STEP will be posted soon as I need to finish all my scripts first!!
Sj Espo (05-03-2012)
Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
whys is the mac mini better than the xp??

nice bro, i love what u are doing
Old 03-23-2011, 03:28 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by 24no7
whys is the mac mini better than the xp??

nice bro, i love what u are doing
Do I really need to answer to this question? :P
Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Do I really need to answer to this question? :P
not really. but if you do wait another 4 1/2 months
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
jk! :p good job man any updates?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM
"Advance"

^^ ahah - I was out of aZine for a while since this site is really good to make me spend my $$$ lol

Anyway, thanks man! As for the updates, didnt add anything important, simply added some dynamat to the trunk lid and removed the center seatbelt since the mechanism was rattling like a motha f*ka :P

Besides that, Im planning a complete rewiring of my Mini setup in the dash, and maybe a fiberglass housing to make it good lookin
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
UA6 SSM TL

^ any picts??

BTW, how much would you charge to do something like this (the harness, etc) for a pc??

Last edited by 24no7; 03-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
"Advance"

Hey 24no7 I will have pics during summer, I didn't have time to work on my mini since last year....Im planing to pull it out and reinstall everything in June.

As for the price I would charge is relative and I don't I would have time to do it except during weekends. It's pretty time consuming and if I estimate the bezel work at around 25 hours of sanding and painting, not to sure you would love the total price

It's so custom made that it's kinda essential that you install this your self in case you run into troubles...

There's a lot of info in my threads, maybe you could start from there and see if you could achieve this...remember, I didnt have any experience with bondo before...but I'm working with computers and have a good interest in electronics
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
8th Gear

I have a question about the screen. Would I be able to use any touch screen such as an ELO 700L, or does it have to be the Xenarc 7 inch?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by Sj Espo
I have a question about the screen. Would I be able to use any touch screen such as an ELO 700L, or does it have to be the Xenarc 7 inch?
It could be any kind of touchscreen, simply needs to be able to connect on the computer you're installing. It's the same thing as a computer screen at the office or at home! Except that it's touchscreen

Last edited by VmtSquad; 05-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Sj Espo (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM
8th Gear

Awsome! Thanks for the response. I will give this a try and report back with the results.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM
8th Gear

Question Ice 3

I just read in mp3 car that srbatty will not release the source code for ICE3. Any other front end software you recommend? or maybe you still have the source code ?

Sorry for the double post btw...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM
UA6 SSM TL

any updates?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
"Advance"

Awsome! Thanks for the response. I will give this a try and report back with the results.
Just make sure you buy a touch screen!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
"Advance"

I just read in mp3 car that srbatty will not release the source code for ICE3. Any other front end software you recommend? or maybe you still have the source code ?

Sorry for the double post btw...
Yeah that sucks real bad but the software is running fine in my daily use. I got no issue at all...I just wanted to take the software to the next level!!

To answer your question, it's been a while I went on Mp3car so Im not up to date on MAC frontend...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by 24no7
any updates?
Not really, my system is running fine...but never got to setup the glove box like I wanted to. I just don't have enough time and I'm always away for work...