Abandon audio project?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
Abandon audio project?

I sort of just need to get my thoughts out there, and maybe some input from those who have been in my position too. Title of this was meant to have a question mark at the end...

Currently I have a JL xd500/3 connected to a 10w6v2. I love the sub. IMO, it was definitely needed, and it will be staying regardless. The other 2 channels are currently unused.

I also have a set of focal KR2 component speakers, an alpine PDX V9, a RF 3sixty.2, and some raamat deadening.

I just haven't gotten around to putting any of it in, and I'm wondering if I should just sell moat of it, switch the 3 channel for a small mono, and call it a day. I've never been a huge audiophile, and I listen to 99% XM. I know it comes in well, but it isn't some super high quality signal.

So anyone else change their mind before jumping down the rabbit hole? Or wish that they had?

Sorry if anything doesn't make sense, typing this from my phone while getting an alignment.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm not a huge audiophile and listen to mostly mp3s, but based on the 20+ threads I've seen, there seem to be a few common paths for upgrading the TL's audio:

1. Simple - replace the stock center channel and subwoofer with aftermarket. You'll need an amplifier and LOC for the subwoofer, but use the factory wiring and keep the factory amplifier.
2. Moderate - replace all speakers with aftermarket, including an amplifier, but keep the factory headunit and amplifier for the center channel so that you can maintain the handsfreelink.
3. Full - speakers, sound deadening, amplifiers, show car package, video capabilities, tablet to replace navigation system, etc..

I've stuck to the simple route, but it's a little lacking. Just my $0.02...

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
If it were me I would use the 5 channel amp 4 channels bridged to front components. sub channel to sub. rear speakers and center channel on OEM amp for voice prompts and some rear fill if you want. for sure the 360. If the V9 cannot drive the sub adequately then put the sub in an Infinite baffle and you would be good.

check my build thread for a similar concept. "mild grade fever" https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/mild-grade-fever-854353/
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
well, if the sound doesn't bother you, which could be if you really don't care or you have nothing to compare it to
and if you get no pleasure out of dismantilng your car
then i say, don't do anything else
you'll save a lot of time and money!

stock TL sound is not terrible by any means

my TL upgrade was caused by an upgrade of my Odyssey's audio system, which WAS terrible stock compared to TL's

after i upgraded the Odyssey i was so impressed with MS-8 and the new speakers, that now my TL's audio was weak by comparison

and that's how i got sucked into it

i'm happy now, many hours and several thousands of dollars later ...

so, if you can live with it, an you don't have an urge to fill your garage with loose parts, then leave it alone
otherwise, good luck to you!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the input guys, sorry, I've been sick for the last several days and forgot I made this thread.

Triax, I agree, those seem like the standard routes. I'm obviously on stage 1, and have the equipment to go to maybe a stage 2.5 with the crap in my basement. However, with the cost to install that, vs the cost of no install and selling the stuff off, I see upwards of $1K difference between the two. When I start to weigh how much I really care, I'm not sure it adds up to a thousand bucks.

Pohl - I agree with what you are saying, coz that is basically how I set the system up in my head. Although the speakers only call for 80 watts RMS, and the PDX birth sheet puts out about 125 per channel, not sure I was going to bother bridging. And I've actually read thru your thread a few times, good info there

abirvalg - I've had my car torn apart a few times, and I can't say I love doing it! I'm starting to think I'm happy enough, although I think I could probably tweek the settings on the sub a little bit. I can probably be happy enough with the sound, and put the money towards other things.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I know where I'm headed now, not the fun route maybe, but probably the more sensible route I guess.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Best of luck, brother!

I fixed your title for you too.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
I sort of just need to get my thoughts out there, and maybe some input from those who have been in my position too. Title of this was meant to have a question mark at the end...

Currently I have a JL xd500/3 connected to a 10w6v2. I love the sub. IMO, it was definitely needed, and it will be staying regardless. The other 2 channels are currently unused.

I also have a set of focal KR2 component speakers, an alpine PDX V9, a RF 3sixty.2, and some raamat deadening.

I just haven't gotten around to putting any of it in, and I'm wondering if I should just sell moat of it, switch the 3 channel for a small mono, and call it a day. I've never been a huge audiophile, and I listen to 99% XM. I know it comes in well, but it isn't some super high quality signal.

So anyone else change their mind before jumping down the rabbit hole? Or wish that they had?

Sorry if anything doesn't make sense, typing this from my phone while getting an alignment.
I was starting to go down this path too! I blew my factory sub and ended up installing an amp and sub - huge difference. This got me wondering how much better the fronts would sound if I installed another amp I had laying around. I decided I didn't want to start cutting wires and tearing apart my car when everything is working "good enough" for me for XM and my iPhone. I don't typically have my sound cranked since the wife and kid are usually in the car. I would also hate to have to put everything back to stock if I sold the car for whatever reason. ...just my .

Jon
Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Damned if I'm not considering doing that front speaker upgrade again with the Focals.

I got a quote for Abt Electronics on the install since I work next door to them, but the price was crazy, so that's out. I need a little more info on what exactly I'll need to do though to make it all work.

So I currently have the JL XD500/3 powering just my 10W6v2, everything else is stock.

I want to maintain handsfree functionality/navi sound just because I do.

My question is, what is required to get the Focals up and running, powered by the amp that's already in the trunk?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

It completely depends upon how you brought the signal to your sub amp did you take a left and right channel or just mono signal if you have left and right then you're good to go and you just need to bring your speaker wires back up to the crossover to power your focals
Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Unfortunately it was so long ago that I can't remember how the sub got wired, I had it done. I know they just grabbed the sub wiring from the factory sub in the trunk, but I'm not sure of anything more exact at the moment.

Abt said I wouldn't be able to make this work without some sort of processor - they recommended this one:
Pac 2-Channel Digital Line Output Converter - PDLC21

I thought many people here have done this without a processor, but maybe I'm wrong. They said the signal from the headunit couldn't go straight to the amp without sounding like crap. Is any of that correct?

Edit: Maybe its not as big a deal - I see that that unit is actually half the cost at Amazon. Still, is it required?

Last edited by KJ TL-S; 01-13-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

It really depends upon the amp. I'm running a JL amp and it accepts the low voltage signal from the head unit perfectly fine but it all depends upon the amp.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

That's also a line output converter it's not a processor
Old 01-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Drifting

I thought JL amps had something to do with it, and yes, the line out converter is what I mean. They kept saying processor, and I guess I just followed suit.

My amp is a JL XD500/3, any idea if it will pick up the low-voltage signal just fine?

I do have an Alpine PDX V9 as well, but I had planned on selling it and just sticking with the JL.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

The JL amp should work fine without a LOC.