5.1 channel CDs for you TL DVD-A player

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004 | 03:36 PM
Racer

5.1 channel CDs for you TL DVD-A player

There is a lot of chatter around 5.1 channel CDs (Dolby Digital and/or DTS) which can be played on the TL's DVD-A player. Unfortunately, not many people are familiar with how to rip the audio track from a DVD and convert it to such a format...so I am going to try to help.

Unfortunately, I am not extremely familiar with it either. I know how to use some of the bits/pieces, but not all of them (and there can be several).

I am scouring the net (doom9.org, audiocoding.com, etc) to try to piece together procedures.

If anyone has step-by-step for any piece of this process, please post it on this thread. I am going to compile everything and hopefully put together a word document with screenprints to help everyone.

This is a complex process but together we'll get there....THANKS!
Old 04-20-2004 | 03:57 PM
Racer

Also...forgot to tell you....

...I have detail as far as extracting the .AC3 file

What I am trying to get to is from be-sweet, be-sure forward.

This software is very confusing and doesn't convert anything for me so far.
Old 04-20-2004 | 04:23 PM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

Here's what I did to create a DTS-CD of "Santana Supernatual Live" (awesome in the TL, BTW).

1) DVD Decrypter to pull the main movie files from the DVD to the HD. They are VOB files and an IFO file.

Note: This program is pretty straight forward; I used the “Select Main Movie Files” from the Edit menu to keep the space consumed on my HD to a minimum.

2) DVD2AVI to create one large AC3 file from the VOB files.

Note: You may have to select different track numbers from the “Audio” menu to find the DTS track. This program displays a Status window as it’s creating the AC3 file. This the middle of that windows you should see the Audio Format that it is creating, if it doesn’t say “DD 3/2” or “DTS..” you’re not creating a 5.1 AC3 file.

3) Chapter-X-tractor to get the Chapter Breaks from the IFO file. This program will also create the command line input for the BeSplit program. BeSplit will create the individual song AC3 files.

Note: On the Raw Data tab click the “Open IFO” button. Find the IFO that was created from DVD Decrypter. On the Format tab select “BeSplit parameters” from the “Presets:” dropdown list. You need find the AC3 file you created using the Down arrow for the “Filename” field, and add the output filename to the end of the path it puts in the “Directory” field.

4) Besure is a “front-end” that will feed the correct setting into BeSweet and SurCode CD Pro DTS.

Note: You need to set the Files and Folders options first. Then select all the AC3 song files from the “Input files” list.

Oh yea, SurCode CD Pro DTS retails for $499.

5) Nero 6 to burn the WAV files to an audio CD...remember each audio CD holds a maximum of 80 minutes.

It’s really simple actually…the biggest thing to make sure of is that DVD2AVI is creating a 5.1 (also known as 3/2) AC3 file.

My next project will be “Eagles – When Hell Freezes Over”

And finally, Props to frozenpenguin and Zon76 for doing the initial research on this!
Old 04-20-2004 | 04:58 PM
Racer

GREAT START!

Looking for some more detail around be-sweet/besure other then "used it to...." This is a good start. Anyone can step in and add more detail. Again, I'll compile it all and post one all encompassing doc.
Old 04-20-2004 | 04:59 PM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

I've done 6 Concerts using the same procedure listed above. The only gripe I have is that some of the concerts have the chapters in the middle of a song! Then I am forced to go back and manually adjust the chapters and that takes forever. Oh well - the finished product sounds unbelievable. Dave Matthews Band - Central Park - that is the best sounding one yet.
Old 04-20-2004 | 05:20 PM
100k miles club

anyone have a besweet that works for them. i've downloaded one from their website and i keep getting a .dll error
Old 04-20-2004 | 06:14 PM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

Originally Posted by w1n78
anyone have a besweet that works for them. i've downloaded one from their website and i keep getting a .dll error
I downloaded all the "Be" apps from www.doom9.org.
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:05 PM
Instructor

I just started playing with these apps to get DTS CDs from DVD-Video concert discs. Anyone still working on this?
Old 07-10-2004 | 11:41 PM
Advanced

Has anyone created a DVD-Audio out of a 5.1 concert DVD? Sheesh - I thought I was pretty cool for making DVD-Audio stereo discs (that hold like 5 cds). Looks like there is more to figure out!

-Greg
Old 07-11-2004 | 12:23 AM
Instructor

I don't have a DVD burner; that's why I'm going the DTS-CD route. I've gotten it to work using SmartRipper, BeSweet and SurCode, and I'm trying to refine my process before I post it. Creating DVD-A discs from DVD-V concerts probably requires a similar combination of software to extract the audio from the DVD-V, encode it and write it to a DVD-R. Writing 5.1 audio may require DiscWelder; I don't know if there is free software that can do that. There's quite a bit of info here on DiscWelder if you haven't found it already. Perhaps someone who has used it can be of more help.