2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh snap! It's OP!! @sockr1 thanks for the initial write up. I have to applaud your desire to dive into the world of Android, and your ability to effectively communicate instructions to the rest of us. As someone who was new to Android once too, <hat tip>
Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by llamaste
Oh snap! It's OP!! @sockr1 thanks for the initial write up. I have to applaud your desire to dive into the world of Android, and your ability to effectively communicate instructions to the rest of us. As someone who was new to Android once too, <hat tip>
haha all good, appreciate the kind words! once i set my mind on something i go all in, and then i like for others to enjoy what i did..why not! haha. it was a huuuge uphill battle learning some of the android stuff but it's all do-able with some time and patience. i'm an engineer so hearing that i communicated well that's a rare compliment haha

all in all, i'm still here to help out!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
it's not an old thread compared to others...PLUS i'm still active!

but GP answered all your questions, you'll be good to go! get that tablet in there asap unlike our moderator up above

Hey... I got other more pressing things in life to worry about ... i did end up buying a bezel so that's baby steps

speaking of which, how's the young one??!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Hey... I got other more pressing things in life to worry about ... i did end up buying a bezel so that's baby steps

speaking of which, how's the young one??!
hehe you know i can't let it go that your tablet has been sitting in your closet...

the little one is great, crazy, but great haha, she keeps us on our toes. i'm glad i got this task done and DIY written before we had her otherwise there would have been no time haha. hope all is well man!
Old 12-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey guys, was wondering about putting 10 inch wide Vossen's vfs-2 (255-40-19) all around with 55 offset. Would that be too close to suspension/body?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally Posted by deepa1600
Hey guys, was wondering about putting 10 inch wide Vossen's vfs-2 (255-40-19) all around with 55 offset. Would that be too close to suspension/body?
Wrong thread and sub forum. Try searching in the wheels and tires subfirum for better answers.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Oh Sorry, i searched for tire thread on my phone for RL forum and it brought me here. Anyway, very nice install i wish we could do this in RL, but it's too complex.

Last edited by deepa1600; 12-08-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

Nexus install failed - HVAC and display dead - shorted -urgent help

hehe you know i can't let it go that your tablet has been sitting in your closet...

the little one is great, crazy, but great haha, she keeps us on our toes. i'm glad i got this task done and DIY written before we had her otherwise there would have been no time haha. hope all is well man!

guys

need help, I cut all wires coming in below Center vent above dash to extend and in the process, shorted them - there was a spark and now everything is dead - blower starts by pressing Mode - something went wrong - any suggestions to check and fix
Old 12-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Nexus install failed- HVAC and display shorted

Originally Posted by aameetsha

guys

need help, I cut all wires coming in below Center vent above dash to extend and in the process, shorted them - there was a spark and now everything is dead - blower starts by pressing Mode - something went wrong - any suggestions to check and fix
Here is a photo

Old 01-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Sounds like you didn't disconnect your battery. Did you check your fuse box?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

Help

Where can I find Timur rooting?

Originally Posted by Csakstar
If you are able to figure out a way to integrate it into the head-unit please let me know.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskerne...r_android_601/
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (01-22-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:11 PM
10th Gear

I bought a non-navi unit off Ebay since I wanted to take my time modifying the bezel and fitting everything without having to take out the one in my TL and keep it out(also didn't want the navi buttons sitting there doing nothing). I'm curious if I would lose anything if I used the PCB that came with the non-navi unit that I bought? It'd be easy enough to remove the LCD screens that are soldered onto it. That way I could cut the metal casing, route the usb cables from the tablet etc etc, have hopefully have the entire unit ready to install before I needed to rip anything out. Would that mess with the LCD screen above the vents, or anything else?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

You have navi, right? I'm pretty sure that this screen above vents is connected to navi board, and non-navi board doesn't have that connection. Besides, all other connections are also different. Non-navi and navi units are not simply plug and play.
For reference take a look at https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-05-tl-622349/

jptl04 needed to make custom wiring harness to convert his non-navi to navi. Very similar (just the other way around) process would be to use non-navi screen on originally navi car.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wilsont1988
I bought a non-navi unit off Ebay since I wanted to take my time modifying the bezel and fitting everything without having to take out the one in my TL and keep it out(also didn't want the navi buttons sitting there doing nothing). I'm curious if I would lose anything if I used the PCB that came with the non-navi unit that I bought? It'd be easy enough to remove the LCD screens that are soldered onto it. That way I could cut the metal casing, route the usb cables from the tablet etc etc, have hopefully have the entire unit ready to install before I needed to rip anything out. Would that mess with the LCD screen above the vents, or anything else?
I actually literally did the same thing. Bought a non-navi off Ebay and modified everything. I have the navi unit also. But the rear of the non navi unit is missing a connector so you'll be missing some features ( I forget which connector, it's been awhile) So all that work I put in modding the non-navi bezel was to waste. I ended up just modifying my current Navi unit, being careful not to damage anything so I can go back to stock if needed. All in all, It's not too difficult, just extra steps vs the non-navi units.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

Im currently trying to finish mine. My tl is base non navi. Bought a failed transmission 05 navi. Took the aux clock sub display and center radio and navi unit out. Moved the radio and pcbs to my non navi faceplate that I had already modified. Made a harness for the aux display. All other connections worked. May have to move the dvd unit. I have full function except the aux display shows everything but radio info. I have all the HVAC display information and clock. Anyone know if the GA Buslink from dvd drive carrys this information back to the display control unit. If not it still is was better to me than moving the non navi display.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:12 PM
5th Gear

Hey guys,
`i’ve been skimming thru this thread and cant seem to find what im looking for and forgive me if it is already there. `this seems like a fun project to take on as my 07 type s interior is stock and outdated. My question is, does this only work with 12/13 nexus 7 tablets or are there any newere up to date tablets it will work with? Also, is all of this information still accurate and relevant as of todays date or is there anything i should know before considering this write up the “bible” of installing a tablet into my car. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

It should be fairly accurate. The only outdated thing here is Nexus 7 itself - compared to my phone is much slower, but still doesn't have problems with navigation, playing music, and backup camera (and Youtube and Netflix sometimes). And that's all that I'm using it for.

About fitment - well everything that has similar dimensions to the Nexus 7 will fit there. Nothing bigger, as installing Nexus requires some trimming, but something slightly smaller should be ok. The only problem is that there's not many 7 inch tablets, and this one has all the software for fixed installation already completed and tested by many.

So I would say that overall, Nexus 7 2013 is still the best bet.
LowkeyM (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:17 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by peter6
It should be fairly accurate. The only outdated thing here is Nexus 7 itself - compared to my phone is much slower, but still doesn't have problems with navigation, playing music, and backup camera (and Youtube and Netflix sometimes). And that's all that I'm using it for.

About fitment - well everything that has similar dimensions to the Nexus 7 will fit there. Nothing bigger, as installing Nexus requires some trimming, but something slightly smaller should be ok. The only problem is that there's not many 7 inch tablets, and this one has all the software for fixed installation already completed and tested by many.

So I would say that overall, Nexus 7 2013 is still the best bet.
ok thank you..it does seem like a ton of work for a 5 year old tablet install but much better than the current 11 year old unit. I will read thru and jump in! Thanks
Old 02-27-2019, 06:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LowkeyM

ok thank you..it does seem like a ton of work for a 5 year old tablet install but much better than the current 11 year old unit. I will read thru and jump in! Thanks
any alternatives to the tablet install to get the same effect? I really just want bluetooth, browser, youtube,spotify, maybe netflix
Old 02-27-2019, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LowkeyM

any alternatives to the tablet install to get the same effect? I really just want bluetooth, browser, youtube,spotify, maybe netflix
Install a laptop in your car
Old 02-27-2019, 06:33 PM
5th Gear

Install a laptop in your car
not sure if your being sarcastic or not lol but that actually strikes me as a good idea.... i guess i could always find a good small touch screen laptop and integrate it behind there... with that said im guessing the short answer to my question is no....not many other alternatives...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think somebody here was considering getting 7 inch touch screen of ebay and using one of those hdmi computer sticks. But never followed on the idea.

Somebody also installed iPad - but those are much harder to control (unless you jailbreak) and it's too big to fit into that cutout.
He modified the bezel to fit bigger device, but I would say it's worse than Nexus almost OEM look.

If you go with Nexus idea, just get 2013 version, preferably with bigger memory.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

Finished mine for now. Have it installed and tested. Found that since I already have a HON-BT45 that i can stream across it and that it will still give me the full steering wheel controls for the tablet. Still have not found out why I do not have the radio data showing on the auxillary displaty
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Safety Car

time for some updates! had some "free time" since i took time off for the birth of our second daughter, and had downtime on my daily driver to work on updating some tablet switches.

switch update #1: i currently have a switch that changes between my bluetooth receiver and the tablet as my source of aux sound, and the switch i installed was located in a bad spot. when i took trips and wanted to rest my leg it hit the switch..so annoying! i wanted to relocate it to the center cubby doors/storage

switch update #2: i never put in a constant power switch to charge my tablet overnight or to allow my tablet to update with my house wifi, so i decided it was time to put that in. normally wouldn't need to, but since my work commute is less than 5 minutes, my tablet would never charge long enough to overcome the nightly power drain, so my tablet was always out of power or too low to use properly. time to fix that! i got a good tip from @guitarplayer16 to use a diode so that current doesn't flow backwards. i used 1N4001 diodes, got a pack of 25 for like $5 on amazon.

now onto the fun part!

soldered in the diode to the switch and then added heat shrink over

tested the constant power switch and it did work

following a tip from tony stark (not THAT tony stark, a fellow TL owner who did the tablet install on his base and did a similar mounting solution), i found some abs at a local plastic store and bought scraps for $1. used a dremel to cut to size and then used a heat gun to soften the plastic so that i could make the bends in the plastic for a snug, snap fit into the storage cubbies.

next i had to figure out how to route the new wires for the switches. decided to dremel out a large hole in the top back of the bottom cubby. big enough for wires to comfortably go through yet no noticeable from inside the car. i sanded the edge with a dremel and added some foam tape.

dremeled a hole for the switch and did a test fit...not too bad so far, this is the constant power switch

now it was for the hard part...disconnecting 9 audio wires and soldering 9 more to a new switch, all inside the car. didn't want to do it but SO glad i decided to

new switch wired up to 9 extensions

heat shrink installed

now that the new switch was ready, i cut all existing wires from old switch and started to solder them onto the new switch extensions

both new switches wired up and confirmed working!

fuse area "cleaned up", way too much going on this is why i keep a fire extinguisher in my car...

dremeled another hole for the audio switch

everything installed and working! extremely happy i took the time to do this even though it was time consuming

Last edited by sockr1; 06-14-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Great job bro!
Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Huge update!

MAJOR UPDATE AND HUGE FEATURE --> you can have CARPLAY!

taken from this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-power-982578/

i wanted to provide my update since i recently received this device in as well and have tested it a bit. OVERALL THIS THING IS AMAZING! this is seriously a game changer and took my tablet install from a 6 to a 10. thank you to OP for finding it and posting it for others to check out. i ended up buying the "box" with the mic in it since i have mic issues with my tablet and i wanted to have the most options available for using voice commands.

to make my install work (nexus 7, 2013, timur's kernel), i had to change my setting to "compatible" otherwise it would not find my phone on initial setup.

device with mic in box:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VLDRXZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VLDRXZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

positives:
- game changer. absolutely love it
- the new iOS 13 made a huge change to the interface for carplay and it's super streamlined and user friendly
- the main screen has maps, next turn, and the song controls on the same screen...love this
- super quick inputs with phone
- wireless!
- there are options to use the "box" mic or "tablet" mic

negatives (these do not come close to outweighing the positives):
- takes a little bit of time to connect but i'm happy with it overall
- it makes my opening "acura" video a little choppy but not a big deal
- i need to figure out how to use the mic in the box easier or find out how to make my tablet mic work (currently says other apps are using it and it can't be used)
- i can't rearrange the icons yet even though i think i should be able to. not a deal breaker

next steps:
- figure out how to make my tablet mic work or extend the box to somewhere where it can easily hear my voice (i already know it works but it's not in an ideal location to pick up my voice right now in the center console)

seriously in love with this thing. everyone that has a tablet should do this!!

Last edited by sockr1; 10-01-2019 at 03:17 PM.
thoiboi (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Bummer about the mic, i take it there is no mic input?
Old 10-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Bummer about the mic, i take it there is no mic input?
like can i plug a mic in you mean? not from what i can see on the outside it just has one little label that says mic on the box. it's prob a circuit board mounted mic
Old 10-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

ahh

yeah, i was referring to an external mic input (3.5mm or otherwise)
Old 10-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

ahh

yeah, i was referring to an external mic input (3.5mm or otherwise)
yea i didn't see anything obvious to plug into but i also didn't study the box. i'll check tonight! this should give you the itch to put in your tablet!! you still have your car right?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

yea i didn't see anything obvious to plug into but i also didn't study the box. i'll check tonight! this should give you the itch to put in your tablet!! you still have your car right?
I do but it's just been garage queened because I've been dailying another car for work. Actually thinking about selling her but want to do a bunch of things before doing it (i.e. timing belt... maybe nexus 7 install if it means the next owner will pay more for it )
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Hows the constant power switch working for you? I was thinking of doing a similar idea - thought maybe we could help each other here.

Right now I have 2 power sources to the Nexus. You may have seen it in the carplay thread. I have one source that is constant power to a chip, which is soldered into the battery leads on the nexus. I'll put the link below, but essentially this charges the tablet through the battery leads, so the tablet doesn't think its charging.

Power directly to battery connection

That is on add a fuse on seat adjustments, so always on. Then I have a USB from ACC (ignition) that goes into the OTG cable like everyone else.

So essentially, my tablet is always at 100%. Great. But I want the constant power to be switchable. Here is the catch. My tablet will NOT stay charged from OTG only, never has. So when the car is running, I want my tablet to be on OTG AND on the constant power. Then I want a switch so I can put it on constant power permanently if I want to.

So here are my two schematics, current and proposed. I'm basically taking my current setup and trying to meld in your addition. Thoughts?

Current

Proposed

Proposed

Last edited by jateelover; 10-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

After some testing with my tablet, right now I'm powering it straight from 5V source. No battery, 5V to battery protection board, or it won't work too well. It doesn't get hot and works pretty stable. I put some decent sized caps right on that board, but no idea if they are required.

Nexus is still getting "waked up" by getting power from OTG cable and there's no issue, no diodes used.

Two downsides:
- charger draws ~0.04A continuously from car's battery, so if car would be left for some longer time it might fail to start
- if power removed, and then restored, tablet will need to get "charger" signal (power from OTG cable) or it won't turn ON.

About your question:
- diode on left top is not required - power won't back feed from ACC USB to USB PORT to ADD A FUSE. Especially if switch is open.
- middle diode to prevent USB PORT feeding into ACC USB and turning ON all usb devices is required.

Otherwise it should work. Oh and board that you are using is based around voltage regulator, which means that all "extra" electricity (converting 5V to 4.2 or whatever) is wasted as heat (not efficient, hurts car's main battery). I also had some of those boards fail on me.
I've been using one of those with timer, to charge tablet's battery for 1h after car was turned OFF, but from my calculations recharging battery takes more electricity than feeding the tablet all the time.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks! All of that makes sense. Appreciate it.

Your no battery method is definitely the best way, I may do that at some at some point.

It makes sense that keeping it topped off is less power than charging. I noticed the board gets hotter when recharging vs keeping it at 100% as well. The reason I wanted the option is that most of the time, I do drive it enough to keep the tablet near charged with the two power sources, so the constant power is unnecessary. But I'd like to be able to flip it on if the car sits for a week or something for some reason.

Its probably unnecessary - with fastboot set to boot immediately, if the car does sit and the tablet dies, it boots back up pretty much right away when it receives power. Yet I'll still do it.

Originally Posted by peter6
After some testing with my tablet, right now I'm powering it straight from 5V source. No battery, 5V to battery protection board, or it won't work too well. It doesn't get hot and works pretty stable. I put some decent sized caps right on that board, but no idea if they are required.

Nexus is still getting "waked up" by getting power from OTG cable and there's no issue, no diodes used.

Two downsides:
- charger draws ~0.04A continuously from car's battery, so if car would be left for some longer time it might fail to start
- if power removed, and then restored, tablet will need to get "charger" signal (power from OTG cable) or it won't turn ON.

About your question:
- diode on left top is not required - power won't back feed from ACC USB to USB PORT to ADD A FUSE. Especially if switch is open.
- middle diode to prevent USB PORT feeding into ACC USB and turning ON all usb devices is required.

Otherwise it should work. Oh and board that you are using is based around voltage regulator, which means that all "extra" electricity (converting 5V to 4.2 or whatever) is wasted as heat (not efficient, hurts car's main battery). I also had some of those boards fail on me.
I've been using one of those with timer, to charge tablet's battery for 1h after car was turned OFF, but from my calculations recharging battery takes more electricity than feeding the tablet all the time.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you ever decide to do no battery mod then do some testing before putting everything back together. Now when I think about it I believe I connected power between tablet and battery protection board, and I think I bridged ground between power source and battery board negative.

This way tablet believes battery is at 100% and it bypasses battery board 's protection (as there's nothing but a capacitor connected to it).
Old 11-05-2019, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Hey Dave, do you by any chance still have the Softkeys zip file available? The hyperlink in your first post is no longer working.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Just kidding... found the zip file within your Google Drive now. Also, I looked online and it looks like there are other options to chose having the volume buttons/media buttons on the left or right side. I already have the volume controls and brightness controls integrated in my drop-down menu. I'm wondering if I even want to download new sofkeys. Hmmm.... decisions decisions. I like keeping my main screen less cluttered.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Just kidding... found the zip file within your Google Drive now. Also, I looked online and it looks like there are other options to chose having the volume buttons/media buttons on the left or right side. I already have the volume controls and brightness controls integrated in my drop-down menu. I'm wondering if I even want to download new sofkeys. Hmmm.... decisions decisions. I like keeping my main screen less cluttered.
glad you found it! i like having them permanently on the screen for easy access. they do go away with carplay so not sure if that changes your decision. let me know if you get that black screen video up and working with carplay i might borrow it too haha

i still haven't relocated my car play with mic dongle into the cupholder yet with a usb extension. i'll try that this weekend i think
Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, I've also noticed the OEM Smartkeys go away too when CarPlay is open. I suppose it still might be nice to have them when I'm using other applications, besides CarPlay. I may download them tonight.

I love my iPhone, but this Nexus 7 tablet has me really starting to like Android, simply for all of the customization it offers.

PS - Sorry for blowing up your thread lol

Quick Reply: 2013 Nexus 7 DIY Install in Type S with Reverse Camera