2007 Navigation System Survey

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007 | 05:35 PM
Racer

2007 Navigation System Survey

I received a 2007 navigation survey in the mail today from Acura. A navigation user tips guide was also enclosed. I found question #13 interesting as it might indicate what Acura is considering to include on the 4G TL & other future Acuras.

13. Tell us about the importance of each of the following navigation system features, using an 8-point scale, where "8" means "extremely important" and "1" means "not at all important".

- Real time parking availability (to avoid the garages which are full)
- Real time movie theater schedules
- Real time stock quotes
- Real time sport events information (scores)
- Real time transportation schedule information (updated airport dep./arr. info)
- Latest map updates via internet download (this one got my attention and I circled the 8 of course)

- Information on road width and terrain
- Carpool lane information, such as safe exit and entry points
- Restaurant information details (hours of business, menu, price ranges)

Real time weather/news was missing from this group, but could be a possibility. It's also possible that we'll get a hard drive/SSD with USB port to transfer the map updates (as well as music files) after we download the map updates. Maybe we'll even get to browse the internet & e-mail...while we're parked of course.
Old 08-01-2007 | 06:18 PM
Instructor

SWEET for the next TL! But even sweeter is if they would allow us to download NAVI updates via the internet now and burn it on a DVD, update our current navi units with new stuff like u mentioned.
Old 08-01-2007 | 06:43 PM
Racer

I envy your navi system. My Prius' does not hold a candle to it.
Old 08-02-2007 | 03:02 AM
Safety Car

Nice.. seems like there are plans to upgrade satallite radio to transmit various types of data.

My :

- Real time parking availability (to avoid the garages which are full)
Not going to happen. Newer parking garages are built with sensors to detect how many spaces are available per floor. They'll have to rely on older garages to upgrade to this technology for this feature to work reliably.

- Real time movie theater schedules
Convenient, especially with a touch screen interaction. Maybe book the movie too while we're at it.

- Real time stock quotes
Not sure if its worth it. Nice for people with stocks, but would have to implement a feature to personalize the stock ticker.

- Real time sport events information (scores)
More ways to get distracted while driving..

- Real time transportation schedule information (updated airport dep./arr. info)
Another convenience that might not be used a lot, but definitely cool to have.

- Latest map updates via internet download
I agree with dampfnudel. Hard drive based navigation system with ability to perform updates via USB/CD swap is key. Maybe they can stream the updates in via satellite radio.

I hope I get a survey.
Old 08-02-2007 | 10:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by evoman
SWEET for the next TL! But even sweeter is if they would allow us to download NAVI updates via the internet now and burn it on a DVD, update our current navi units with new stuff like u mentioned.
Even if they could do that, I doubt it that they ever would. As far as Acura is concerned, it would be really sweet if you got a '09.
Old 08-28-2007 | 02:49 AM
8th Gear

will the dvd drive from a 07 work in a 05?

is the navi in the 07 tl touch screen as well?. I am here in hawaii with my 05. There will not be an upgrade for my navi to work here. But there is a patch that will make the 07 work. can i just unplug my navi and plug in the 07?
Old 09-01-2007 | 09:02 AM
RoadRunner

Navi Survey

I received the same survey. I indicated I thought the 'Real Time Traffic' was useless I look out the front window and could see all the break lights and that was a clear indication that I was stuck in traffic. I think the next generation navigation will have a market edge from Honda/Acura. Basically asking about future features.
Old 09-04-2007 | 04:17 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Interesting - I got the same survey a month earlier: [URL=https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162070[/URL]