2005 TL w/NAV - Xbox Project (The Quest Begins...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 TL w/NAV - Xbox Project (The Quest Begins...)

Hi All,

I am new to the boards and just found this site as I was Googling for ways on how to go about my goal of having access to all my music (90GB and growing), a selection of videos/pictures, and being able to watch DVDs in my 2005 Acura TL w/NAV.

I’ve spent the past day and a half reading old posts and searching threads and have found great information contained here. I wanted to start my own thread so that I can refer back to it and have it as sort of a “blog” from the beginning of my project to the end, with help from the members here who are willing to contribute their thoughts/ideas/suggestions/criticisms.

Here is my background:
I am a 32y/o Network Engineer. Very good with computers, networking and overall a gadget freak. I have experience running CAT5 wiring, and (some, not a lot) electrical wiring in my house. I also built (with help from a friend/expert) a dedicated home theater room in my basement, so I am well-versed with all the electronics equipment and wiring that project entailed. However, I have no experience with car installations and am cautiously optimistic that with lots of research/reading and maybe the help of people here and who knows, maybe somebody might live near my house here in Stone Ridge, VA (Loudoun County), I might be able to pull-off this grand plan. I would rather not just pay somebody to do it, because I want to save money as well as learn how to do this myself so that I can apply the knowledge to future projects (possibly friends/relatives’ cars). I am also not very handy with cutting tools (dremels, etc.) but I am willing to learn as long as I don’t permanently damage anything visible in my car.

So given the above background, let me tell you my plan and you guys let me know if I can pull this off, or if I’m crazy and should just contact a professional to do it for me.

The Goal:
Required: Have ALL my music available to me in the car. An Ipod is out of the question, since 60GB is not enough.
Semi-required but can live without: be able to play Videos/DVDs
Gravy: Play games.

The Plan:
Install a modded Xbox in the trunk so that I can run XBMC for Music/Videos/Pictures/DVD, as well as play Games now and then (when parked of course). All Video goes to the NAV screen, and all sound goes through the car’s speakers. I do NOT need XM, and in fact canceled my subscription a few weeks ago. Ideally, if I can press the XM button and have the NAV screen switch Video/Audio to the Xbox, that would be awesome. Since there is no way to control the Xbox using the touchscreen, I will be using a remote control. I know it’s not the most elegant solution, but it will have to do. Since the Xbox will be in the trunk, I figure I will need an IR eye somewhere in the front to point my remote at.

What I already have:
1. Modded Xbox with a big hard drive
2. Remote Control
3. Spool of Cat5e
4. Various A/V cables, RCA cables etc.
5. Household tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.)

What I think I need: (based on reading the forums here and at MP3car.com)
1. Dom’s Nav2TV adapter (or possibly AV Electronics’ version?)
2. IR receiver/emitter + cabling (possibly cat5)
3. Power inverter
4. Additional cabling and miscellaneous parts (unknown to me at this time)
5. Any task-specific tools (to be determined)

Let me reiterate, I will no longer be using the XM radio in my car, and would like to make use of that audio input for the Xbox. Of course, if this is possible without cutting wires, that would be ideal so that I can put it back to stock if I ever sell the car. But that is not a main concern since I don’t plan on selling for a long time.

Optional features of the project:
It would be nice if I can somehow rig the Xbox on a little stand so that it is facing the drop-down armrest of the back seat, so that if I drop the armrest, I can have access to the DVD tray from inside the car, as opposed to having to open the trunk to put a DVD in.

So, that’s it in a nutshell. Am I crazy? Is this even feasible for a complete car stereo/installation newbie like me? I am open to all thoughts/ideas/suggestions/criticism. I am still way, way early in the planning stage (obviously) and things can change drastically if I am convinced that there is a better way to achieve my goal. I understand my goal can also be met with other devices (mediagate, carputer, etc..) but it would have to be a compelling argument to make me spend for those instead of using what I already have. Not saying that I wouldn’t do it, just that it would have to be worth it due to logistical or technical reasons.

Looking forward to brainstorming with you guys and hopefully in a few weeks (months?) from this first post, the last pages of this thread will show “DONE – here’s the pictures and a small quicktime video”.

Thanks,
Iohan
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
321 whp SAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not crazy at all.. makes sense.. good luck
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds very possible.

You are missing the audio interface to connect your Xbox to the factory head unit. Here is a list of a few popular solutions. The Blitzafe and USA Spec have known compatibility with some '05+ TLs. Its a hit or miss. Both companies are aware of the situation and should fix the problem in their next firmware releases. The PIE X3 has some little annoyances, but the overall sound quality is great.

I see you are checking my Mediagate threads.

Thats another solution for you if you don't need to play games in the car. Check it out finally installed here: TVandNav2Go, Mediagate MG-25P, and PIE X3 Installed

Try searching for PS2 installs. You'll get some ideas from those threads as well.

Good luck with your research. Lots of nice people on here willing to help.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I'm not a fan of video game players in cars, its just too big of a distraction. We know your not planning on parking it everytime you wanna play Ghost Recon. I also have the medigate solution like datmrman. If your looking for a way to have all your music + backups from dvds this is an awesome route. You can go with the 3.5 in version and have a 500gig hd if you so wish. Good luck with your project and keep us updated.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
What you're trying to do is relatively simple to accomplish, and is well documented here. dtamrman has great photos of the tvandnav2go install, which is key. You'll also need a Blitzsafe DMX v.2x aux adapter to get the xbox audio.

We share similar interests and skills based on your description.

The hard part to your project is integration. The XBOX is big and heavy, AND requires a power inverter, which is a big turn off for me.
I wanted to do the exact same thing, but have abandon the idea, due to how messy the job is.

My plan was to dissasseble the XBOX and run the DVD tray and on/off button to the cargo doors in the front console. The only hard part of this is the fabrication of the mounts and keeping the install clean. The messy part is extending all the little wires from the XBOX motherboard (extending the IDE cable), and then, dealing with removing the XBOX for updates, new mp3 loading etc.

I ran my modded XBOX in my previous car. Like you, I have over 100G of mp3.
What I found was manipulating this volume of music is quite difficult and clugy while driving. You had to turn on the XBOX (I installed an RF receiver in the XBOX), locate wireless controller, use wireless contoller to browse to music selection... all while driving. If you haven't noticed, the XBOX controller was designed to be used with 2 hands. I found it's more prudent to filter down to 30-60 GB of data due to the difficulty of browsing with XBOX.
I keep the modded XBOX in the house for the basement party.

It just never worked well for me.

My new plan is this.

www.avelectronic.com AV switcher (instead of tvandnav2go), with a Blitzsafe AUX adapter for audio in.

This thing is a beast, and it should be for 2X the price of the tvandnav2go.
It accepts 3 A/V inputs (and has a built in TV tuner), and can output to 4 A/V sources at the same time... and require NO "button to activate. It uses a RF modulated remote control.

I plan to install a DVD player that supports mp3 disc in the glovebox (1 A/V input)
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/un...vdplayers.html

and PS2 slimlin under the passenger seat (PS2 slimline has a car adapter that DOESN'T require an inverter)
http://store.gameasylum.us/ps2caradposu.html

Then, to fill out the last A/V source, I plan to install this:
http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/cables/roadshow.php
The roadshow allows you to output your Ipod's audio AND video (video content only, NOT interface) to the the video switcher, and thus to the nav screen.

The AV electronics unit also supports an auto reverse camera, and 2 other cameras as video inputs... maybe I'll do a "front cam" one day.

The video switchercomes with a TV tuner and antenna as well, so BAM, I have TV as a 4th source. The DVD player I selected has a built in TV tuner as well, so I plan to Y cable the antenna, that way I'll have seperate sources for TV.

This is important becasue the avelectronics unit supports outputting up to 4 sources INDEPENDENTLY. When/If Iinstall headrest monitors, one rear passenger can watch TV, another rear passenger can play PS2, and the front can watch DVD or Ipod content (yes, I recognize I'll need headphones if they rear passengers wish to watch a different source than I).

Yes it's way overkill, but it's way cool.

Go for what you like, but I've been down the exact road, and I think you'll find you're not real happy with the XBOX natively given it's lack of integration.... Especially without playlists... but if you have playlists, why not just rip that to an Ipod...
As an alternative, consider the mediagate-25 for you mp3 collection... but again, nothing's gonna be easy to manipulate when you have to page through 500 "pages of screen" before you get to the artist beginning with S.

Feel free to ask questions... I'm still waiting on some cables to do the install, but I'm all set with a plan!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by datmrman
Sounds very possible.

You are missing the audio interface to connect your Xbox to the factory head unit. Here is a list of a few popular solutions. The Blitzafe and USA Spec have known compatibility with some '05+ TLs. Its a hit or miss. Both companies are aware of the situation and should fix the problem in their next firmware releases. The PIE X3 has some little annoyances, but the overall sound quality is great.

I see you are checking my Mediagate threads.

Thats another solution for you if you don't need to play games in the car. Check it out finally installed here: TVandNav2Go, Mediagate MG-25P, and PIE X3 Installed

Try searching for PS2 installs. You'll get some ideas from those threads as well.

Good luck with your research. Lots of nice people on here willing to help.
Thanks, I am reading up on those sound interfaces. I was (mistakenly?) thinking that since I don't need and will not use the XM radio, that I can use the input that it is using on the factory unit, but I guess that would require some cutting/splicing (would like to avoid this, but not opposed to it)?

I saw some PS2 installs (notably the one with the slim PS2 in the glove box and the nice pictures on his website.. persephone I think) and those are partly what are driving me to think that I can do this...
Old 07-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kennedy
What you're trying to do is relatively simple to accomplish, and is well documented here. dtamrman has great photos of the tvandnav2go install, which is key. You'll also need a Blitzsafe DMX v.2x aux adapter to get the xbox audio.

We share similar interests and skills based on your description.

The hard part to your project is integration. The XBOX is big and heavy, AND requires a power inverter, which is a big turn off for me.
I wanted to do the exact same thing, but have abandon the idea, due to how messy the job is.

My plan was to dissasseble the XBOX and run the DVD tray and on/off button to the cargo doors in the front console. The only hard part of this is the fabrication of the mounts and keeping the install clean. The messy part is extending all the little wires from the XBOX motherboard (extending the IDE cable), and then, dealing with removing the XBOX for updates, new mp3 loading etc.
Wow, your plan sounds way more involved than mine. Pardon my newbieness, but why are you against power inverters? Should I be concerned about that as well?

I have called AVElectronic.com and that deluxe model is $550... which is a little steep for my tastes. I figure if I spend $225 for the Nav2Go and another $100 for the BlitzSafe, and I already have the modded Xbox, then all I need is some wiring, and possibly $75 for the Helm manual. Keeping everything under $500 would be awesome.

As for the thousands of songs and using playlists thing, I don't plan on fumbling around too much while driving, but I DO want all my music accessible so that I can fumble around and find what I want before driving (I have a 1h15m commute each way to work, so I shuffle through a bunch of music every day). Obviously sometimes it can't be avoided to change songs while driving, but I definitely will not be using the Xbox controller to go through the XBMC menus. I have a remote control (the one that comes with the Xbox media center extender) that works great with XBMC. I just need to mod my xbox so I can turn it on using the remote.

I also have all my music tagged/renamed properly and sorted into folders starting with the Artists' first letter (I have folders called "A", "B", "C", etc..) so it's relatively easy to find what I'm looking for using file view mode rather than library mode.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Trucki!!

I'm sorry I just don't understand this need for 100gig of music readily availiable. I have a 4 gig ipod that I can put more than enough music on for a 2 1/2 hr commute. And if you want to listen to something different that day, it only takes a few seconds to add those songs/ artists. I know I have an 80 gig mediagate solution, but that is mainly for video outut not audio. It would be alot easier to add remove songs from an ipod than the xbox console. I drove from Indiana to California a year ago with my old 5 gig 2gen ipod and never listened to the same song twice. Just seems alittle overkill to me. But I get new music weekly and it would just be a hassle with this solution. If I were you I would get an audio interface like a USAspec and have ipod integration for music, and still have the ability to have the xbox for video/ gaming. Or get the PIEx3 and use whatever personal mp3 player you want. I just think that it is way to cumbersome having to pick up a remote and change a song and all that jazz. I'm fine doing it once for selecting movies, but not when I want to listen to a different folder every other song.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

It's not about changing folders every song (most likely I will choose an album or just hit random play). It's about having everything all the time. I had a 60GB ipod, and invariably, I would get an urge to listen to a song and realize that it's not on the ipod at that moment and would have to remember to add it to the ipod and delete something else to make room. By the time I got home, I had forgotten that I wanted to add it, and the next day I would get the urge to listen to that song again and it still wouldn't be there. Adding all the time and never having to delete (at least for a long time... 300GB will probably be a while before I fill that up) is a major feature for me. For some, managing their ipod constantly is fine. I just want to fill my hard drive up and never have to worry about something missing, it's there when I want to listen to it. If I ever do fill up the 300GB, I will upgrade it to a 500GB, and so on and so forth.

Adding removing songs to an xbox console is actually easier than an ipod. All I have to do is put a wireless adapter on the xbox and keep it turned on while parked in my garage. I can then just ftp the MP3 files onto it. No need for the iTunes synchronization process. Or if the wireless isn't fast enough, I have a laptop I can bring in the car and connect a crossover cable to the wired NIC of the xbox to perform the same FTP at 100Mbit. Granted USB 2.0 is theoretically faster, but it always seemed slow to me using the iTunes syncing feature. I actually ditched iTunes and started using anapod explorer which was much faster, but still wasn't even close to maxing out USB's 480Mbit theoretical max. It was more like 80-90Mbit.

As for using a remote control, what's the difference between that and fiddling with the click wheel? It's still one hand off the steering wheel and having to look at something else (either an ipod display, or the nav screen). Now if the ipod is integrated into the touch screen of the nav, that would be better yes, but it's still not as flexible as a full-fledged Xbox integration. The next step in flexibility and features from an Xbox is a full-blown computer, I'm happy with the middle-ground.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:48 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Lets not judge Zerowiz on his decision to carry 100G of music... his decisionis well articulated below. I understand where he's coming from. I also like the portability of the Xbox, and the ability to be a traveling DJ, which is much easier if I have the entire collection loaded.

Power inverters are large, draw lots of current, get hot, and are generally unsightly... That's why i don't like them. Just another component to potentially fail.

I'm also very familiar with XBOX modding, and it sounds like you're just getting into it. Yes FTP is a grand thing, and transferring songs to the XBOX is a snap, but I wouldn't say it' easier than itunes, just different. This is a matter of preference. What you don't seem to recognize is that flashfxp (common ftp tool) has it's own limitatations with speed of transfer, and zipping over 100G of songs to the XBOX on a wired 100MB network takes ALL NIGHT, and flashfxp doesn't work well at all with large data transfers and wireless. I can't even enumerate my "artist" directory (500+ objects) with flashfxp... it times out. Wait and see... Large data volumes are difficult for a modded xbox.
Also, how will you turn the XBOX on and off? The boot sequence is a PITA. Oh BTW, I'm on my 3rd Logitech wireless controller, have no idea why they keep not working.

I dunno, I just think the Ipod is ideal for cruising around, but I would like to have all my media with me... Hence exploring the mediagate... but it has it's flaws as well.
Totally concur with your statements about anapod.

As for ergonomics. I drive a stick. Try fumbling with an xbox controller, which is designed to be used with 2 hands while driving. The Ipod control wheel is much better suited for single handed operation... Especially if you mount it ona Kuda mount.

Again, I'm not against this, I just know if you plan to rely on this, you're going to be disappointed. I have a LONG commute as well, so I'm heavily vested in getting myself setup.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for ergonomics. I drive a stick. Try fumbling with an xbox controller, which is designed to be used with 2 hands while driving.
I think he plans on using the XBOX Remote or something like it and an IR reciever/emitter to get signal to the IR target on the XBOX.

XBOX remote seen HERE

I think the XBOX is ideal for this situation. I just didnt want to use it for its size. If you could strip it down and fit it into a smaller enclosure it would be perfect. Do a search for "carputer" on this site. I dont remember who did it but they had a nice carputer encolsure in the glovebox.

There are endless alternatives to flashfxp. I like and use LeapFTP. Give it a shot sometime. I think you can download it on CNET for free, last time I checked.

Just curious, are you using XBMC as your default XBOX dashboard? I use that in my living room at home, it is by far the coolest community mod I have seen so far.

Good luck in your install!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

As with any type of audio compilation (audio CD, MP3 CD, DVD-A, XBOX, iPod, Mediagate) there are always limitations. Rarely can you find something that is perfect. You do have the ability to either accept it for what it is or find a way to work around it.

Here is an example:
I also have a large collection of music, but instead of organizing songs into folders of artists, I organize my music on the Mediagate by playlists. I have a folder labeled "Current Hits" where I place the most recent additions to my collection. A folder labeled "Top 100 R&B/Hip Hop Songs" contains my personalized top 100 songs and so on. Granted with this method, I will have songs duplicated across folders, but it makes navigation a breeze. I don't have to cycle through a large directory tree to get to a song I want. I know where I can look for it.

This method works for me, but it might not work for everyone. One of the techniques, I've picked up from school is to "divide and conquer." Split your problems into smaller portions and handle it a small piece at a time and tell you find something that works.

One solution will work for one person, but not the other. I hope you find the solution that works best for you. Just my . I'm done preaching.

Good luck with your install.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
I think he plans on using the XBOX Remote or something like it and an IR reciever/emitter to get signal to the IR target on the XBOX.

XBOX remote seen HERE
Yes, I plan on using this remote. I'm thinking of using this for extending the IR to the front console from the trunk. I've had experience installing these in my house, so I don't see any reason why they can't be installed in a car.

I think the XBOX is ideal for this situation. I just didnt want to use it for its size. If you could strip it down and fit it into a smaller enclosure it would be perfect. Do a search for "carputer" on this site. I dont remember who did it but they had a nice carputer encolsure in the glovebox.
I guess the size issue is not a factor for me since I plan on putting it in the trunk. My current thinking is to "mod" it the poor man's way (put some shims in the xbox power switch so that it is "always on" as soon as it receives power), rather than taking the time to put this in.

I haven't fully researched power inverters yet, so I don't know if there are any that have remote-controlled on/off switches. If not, maybe I should keep the inverter underneath the front passenger's seat so that I can manually turn it on. If that's a bad idea, please let me know of some alternatives. If it's truly necessary to keep the inverter in the trunk and just keep it "on" all the time except when the key is taken out or in 0 position, that's also fine with me.

There are endless alternatives to flashfxp. I like and use LeapFTP. Give it a shot sometime. I think you can download it on CNET for free, last time I checked.
My current favorite is FileZilla. Works flawlessly with the xbox. I tried flashfxp and it was sub-par in my opinion.

Just curious, are you using XBMC as your default XBOX dashboard? I use that in my living room at home, it is by far the coolest community mod I have seen so far.

Good luck in your install!!!
Yes, I am using XBMC with the MC360 skin as my default dashboard. For those that are curious what this looks like and so that you can get an idea of what I'm aiming for, here are some pictures of XBMC+MC360
Old 07-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Intermediate

Being the total newbie that I am, (and I think I know the answer already, but I would like to see opinions anyway), is it necessary for me to buy the Helm's service manual for me to complete my project? Since I imagine I will have to be removing panels, possibly even the rear seats and disassembling other things, would the manual be immensely helpful or are there already tons of how-to instructions on the forums with pictures? The one I found was from www.robertcotran.com which I think is one of the forum members here. However, even in his instructions, he says to refer to Helm's manual.

Maybe I should take baby steps and try and get the Nav2Go and Blitzsafe installed first, test if I can plug in any Audio/Video source in there, and worry about integrating the Xbox later.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

Lets not judge Zerowiz on his decision to carry 100G of music... his decisionis well articulated below. I understand where he's coming from. I also like the portability of the Xbox, and the ability to be a traveling DJ, which is much easier if I have the entire collection loaded.

Power inverters are large, draw lots of current, get hot, and are generally unsightly... That's why i don't like them. Just another component to potentially fail.

I'm also very familiar with XBOX modding, and it sounds like you're just getting into it. Yes FTP is a grand thing, and transferring songs to the XBOX is a snap, but I wouldn't say it' easier than itunes, just different. This is a matter of preference. What you don't seem to recognize is that flashfxp (common ftp tool) has it's own limitatations with speed of transfer, and zipping over 100G of songs to the XBOX on a wired 100MB network takes ALL NIGHT, and flashfxp doesn't work well at all with large data transfers and wireless. I can't even enumerate my "artist" directory (500+ objects) with flashfxp... it times out. Wait and see... Large data volumes are difficult for a modded xbox.
Also, how will you turn the XBOX on and off? The boot sequence is a PITA. Oh BTW, I'm on my 3rd Logitech wireless controller, have no idea why they keep not working.

I dunno, I just think the Ipod is ideal for cruising around, but I would like to have all my media with me... Hence exploring the mediagate... but it has it's flaws as well.
Totally concur with your statements about anapod.

As for ergonomics. I drive a stick. Try fumbling with an xbox controller, which is designed to be used with 2 hands while driving. The Ipod control wheel is much better suited for single handed operation... Especially if you mount it ona Kuda mount.

Again, I'm not against this, I just know if you plan to rely on this, you're going to be disappointed. I have a LONG commute as well, so I'm heavily vested in getting myself setup.
I value your opinions, thanks for giving me a reality check on the Cons of the Xbox. Like I alluded to in earlier posts, I am not 100% committed yet to the Xbox, although it would save me quite a bit of money if I used what I already had. If I find an alternative source that meets all my needs I would really consider it. The mediagate is now heavily in my research radar...if it can support large (250-300G+) hard disks, it may be a really good alternative.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Intermediate

As with any type of audio compilation (audio CD, MP3 CD, DVD-A, XBOX, iPod, Mediagate) there are always limitations. Rarely can you find something that is perfect. You do have the ability to either accept it for what it is or find a way to work around it.

Here is an example:
I also have a large collection of music, but instead of organizing songs into folders of artists, I organize my music on the Mediagate by playlists. I have a folder labeled "Current Hits" where I place the most recent additions to my collection. A folder labeled "Top 100 R&B/Hip Hop Songs" contains my personalized top 100 songs and so on. Granted with this method, I will have songs duplicated across folders, but it makes navigation a breeze. I don't have to cycle through a large directory tree to get to a song I want. I know where I can look for it.

This method works for me, but it might not work for everyone. One of the techniques, I've picked up from school is to "divide and conquer." Split your problems into smaller portions and handle it a small piece at a time and tell you find something that works.

One solution will work for one person, but not the other. I hope you find the solution that works best for you. Just my . I'm done preaching.

Good luck with your install.
My organization scheme goes like this:

Root Folder: My Music
27 Sub-Folders under this named "1", "A", "B", "C", etc.
Within those subfolders, I have 1 album per folder named like this: "Artist - Albumname".
Within the "Artist - Albumname" folder, each track is named like this: "Track# SongTitle.mp3"

If I wanted to listen to Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction, I would go to \My Music\M\Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction\02 Symphony of Destruction.mp3

I used to have a "group all the albums by the same artist into one folder" scheme, but I found it easier to get to things by "dividing and conquering" like you said. That extra layer of 27 sub-folders makes it MUCH easier to find stuff, rather than scrolling through 500+ artists to get to "Ziggy Marley", i scroll through 26 folders, then usually there aren't that many "Z" artists, so the Z folder would be a page or two at most.

I also make use of the XBMC Library (database) so that if I need to, I can search for keywords, and browse "the ipod way" (Artists/Album/Genre, etc..).
Old 07-21-2006, 07:02 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I understand. Interesting concept. I don't have the XBOX remote, and have never tried to use it with a modifed xbox and XBOX media center... so that's news to me. Extending the IR sensor will be a PITA, and not attractive, but can be done.

Shims won't work for power... That's not how the button works. I did this: Pretty neat.
http://www.xboxhackz.com/tutorials/h...emotePower.htm

You program the frequency of the doorbell ringer to one of your home link buttons. Hit the homelink button, XBOX comes on! Only problem is the Xbox is a terrible EM noise maker and you can't use the homelink to turn the XBOX off... So it either shuts off when you turn off the car, or there's a "shutdown command" in most modded applications and dashboards.

My music is organized similar to yours. Paging through100's of pages with a remote is still gonna be awkward. Have you tried to transfer data to your modded xbox? Never used Leap, but have used filezilla. It was not faster than Flashfxp (older version). The XBOX only runs at 10 MB I think. I must admit, this has been the limitation of my exposure... Oce the data's there, it's there.

What else are you planning?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by ZeroWiz
I value your opinions, thanks for giving me a reality check on the Cons of the Xbox. Like I alluded to in earlier posts, I am not 100% committed yet to the Xbox, although it would save me quite a bit of money if I used what I already had. If I find an alternative source that meets all my needs I would really consider it. The mediagate is now heavily in my research radar...if it can support large (250-300G+) hard disks, it may be a really good alternative.
There are 2 routes you can go with the mediagate. The 2.5 laptop drive, and the 3.5 standard HD. With bot yu are limited by the size of HD's availiable. You can get larger HD's with the mg-35.......it also has wifi.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Correction, the MG-35 has a 10/100 Ethernet port; the MG-350HD has 802.11g.

ZeroWiz, your current organization scheme is very similar to how iTunes stores local copies of songs on my computer. This is easy to navigate when you have a mouse, but more work if you only have a remote with an up/down arrow. I would add another layer of folders after the root folder. Might be overkill though, but something like this:

Root\A-F
Root\G-L
Root\M-S
Root\T-Z

where Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction is located at
\My Music\M-S\M\Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction\02 Symphony of Destruction.mp3

Just a suggestion. Seems like lembowski is trying to sell you the Mediagate.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Shims won't work for power... That's not how the button works. I did this: Pretty neat.

You program the frequency of the doorbell ringer to one of your home link buttons. Hit the homelink button, XBOX comes on! Only problem is the Xbox is a terrible EM noise maker and you can't use the homelink to turn the XBOX off... So it either shuts off when you turn off the car, or there's a "shutdown command" in most modded applications and dashboards.
Nice, thanks for the link. I just got back from Home Depot and among other things, I went ahead and bought one of those doorbells. I'll let you know after I install it in the xbox if it works for me.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Correction, the MG-35 has a 10/100 Ethernet port; the MG-350HD has 802.11g.

Seems like lembowski is trying to sell you the Mediagate.
It's a very interesting device and is a worthy alternative if I have problems with the Xbox plans. Right now, I'm still leaning to the Xbox because I'm quite familiar with the interface, the DVD-drive (useful if you're in a rush to leave town and forgot to RIP DVDs in advance), and the ability to play games. I meet at a carpool spot every morning and I always end up 10-15 minutes early... waiting time that can be spent playing games...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Just a follow up on a previous post I made... do you guys think that I should buy the Helm's Service Manual to be able to do this project (being the complete newbie that I am and I have never taken apart anything in my car)? If so, which one(s): http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...6QT8QNBE5UFTFC
Old 07-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Oops... I tried to edit the last post, but apparently I can't edit past the 5-minute grace period. Here's what I wanted to add to that last post:

Will the service manual have detailed instructions/illustrations on things like:
1. How to remove the backseat
2. How to remove the center console
3. How to remove the front console
4. How to tap into vehicle power

Since I will need a power inverter in the trunk, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get/install a lighter outlet back there to plug the inverter into? Or maybe I don't even need the lighter outlet if I get a specific brand/model of inverter? Any suggestions are appreciated....thanks!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

You don't need to buy the Helm's book. Most of the same instructions are posted on this forum.

I've provided the links to them on my last DIY guide. Check it out.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:43 AM
Intermediate

You don't need to buy the Helm's book. Most of the same instructions are posted on this forum.

I've provided the links to them on my last DIY guide. Check it out.
Thanks for the links! They look really detailed and I will definitely study them intently.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

Ugh. I bought one of those doorbell thingies from Home Depot and tried to perform that hack this morning when I woke up, but I botched the job horribly and tore apart the doorbell wires. They just weren't long enough for me to be able to insert them in the molex connector with ease.

I went searching for an alternative, and I found this: http://cheaplpc.com/xir/xireasy.asp

I went ahead and ordered it and I'll let you know if it works well. The advantage of this I guess would be that I can use the same remote to turn on/off the Xbox as well as control XBMC. It's just a matter of having two emitters stickied on top of the two IR receivers (one for the power on/off IR receiver, and one for the Xbox remote IR receiver).
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

OK Guys, after reading through a bunch of the DIY:HowTos and looking at the pictures, I think I have built up sufficient courage to undertake this project. I hope you guys won't mind if I ask dumb/newbie questions now and then, I've tried to do my research as much as I can, but sometimes things are still confusing when they aren't in the context of what you are trying to do (and especially since I've never done this before on any car). What I mean is that I have tried my best to transpose the relevant bits and pieces that others have done (i.e., installing the AV switch, Blitzsafe, etc.) and tried to imagine the extra steps I need to do to integrate my Xbox, and I have a general idea in my head, but there are bound to be issues no matter how well-thought-out/planned any project is.

So far though you guys have been extremely helpful and I appreciate it!

Having said all that, I am placing my order for Dom's Nav2TV unit today (hopefully I can still get in on the power buy). As for the audio interface, which should I get.. PIE or BlitzSafe? Keep in mind, I do not need/want XM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Ugh. I bought one of those doorbell thingies from Home Depot and tried to perform that hack this morning when I woke up, but I botched the job horribly and tore apart the doorbell wires. They just weren't long enough for me to be able to insert them in the molex connector with ease.

I went searching for an alternative, and I found this: http://cheaplpc.com/xir/xireasy.asp

I went ahead and ordered it and I'll let you know if it works well. The advantage of this I guess would be that I can use the same remote to turn on/off the Xbox as well as control XBMC. It's just a matter of having two emitters stickied on top of the two IR receivers (one for the power on/off IR receiver, and one for the Xbox remote IR receiver).
I highly advise figuring out the doorbell/extending the wires. It RF based... I especially like the homelink button integration. The XIR, while nifty, is another "line of sight" sensor you're going to have to extend to the dash. I'm unsure how you mod the XBMC remote to use this...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Having said all that, I am placing my order for Dom's Nav2TV unit today (hopefully I can still get in on the power buy). As for the audio interface, which should I get.. PIE or BlitzSafe? Keep in mind, I do not need/want XM.
I think the PIE unit is neat, but clunky with that big ol box. Remember the PIE unit "hijacks" the XM audio feed, while the Blitzsafe emulates a DC-Changer. I kept XM, I didn't like how the XM text would scroll across the upper display while even when you're in AUX mode. (In your case, it will read XM RADIO ... when in AUX Mode). The Blitzsafe reads CD-C when in AUX mode.

The PIE unit has multiple audio interfaces, so you could add an Ipod or other audio source later, but you have to hack up a spot to put the box.

I think the Blitzsafe is cleaner, and all the bugs have finally been worked out.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

I highly advise figuring out the doorbell/extending the wires. It RF based... I especially like the homelink button integration. The XIR, while nifty, is another "line of sight" sensor you're going to have to extend to the dash. I'm unsure how you mod the XBMC remote to use this...
I have a couple of options with regards to controlling devices in the trunk.

1. Set up a Xantech Hidden Link or Dinky Link kit inside the car.

In this scenario, I would mount an IR sensor somewhere in the front dash area, probably in the cubby hole next to the cigarette lighter. That IR sensor is connected to the connecting block which connects to IR emitters and an AC adapter. The IR emitters would extend to the trunk and would be placed directly in front (via double-sided tape) of the Xbox's IR sensors (for both the Xbox remote control sensor and the XIR power on/off sensor). The AC adapter would plug into an inverter.

Pros: Extremely reliable control (have fully tested this setup in a Home Theater scenario).

Cons: Need to plug it into a power inverter. More expensive.

2. Program all IR codes into a learning RF remote

In this scenario I would not need a sensor in the front. The RF receiver unit (which is also the IR emitter unit) would be in the trunk pointed directly at the Xbox. In essence, the remote control is sending RF signals to the RF receiver unit which then emits IR signals to the Xbox.

Pros: No wiring necessary, easier to install. Less expensive.

Cons: RF is prone to interference and the reliability of control is sometimes iffy. Also need to plug it (the RF receiver/IR emitter unit) into a power inverter.

I'm undecided right now on which route to take... but either way, IR on the Xbox (as opposed to RF) wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

I think the PIE unit is neat, but clunky with that big ol box. Remember the PIE unit "hijacks" the XM audio feed, while the Blitzsafe emulates a DC-Changer. I kept XM, I didn't like how the XM text would scroll across the upper display while even when you're in AUX mode. (In your case, it will read XM RADIO ... when in AUX Mode). The Blitzsafe reads CD-C when in AUX mode.

The PIE unit has multiple audio interfaces, so you could add an Ipod or other audio source later, but you have to hack up a spot to put the box.

I think the Blitzsafe is cleaner, and all the bugs have finally been worked out.

Any recommendations on where to get the "fixed" version of the BlitzSafe?

Although the extra inputs on the PIE are enticing... you never know....
Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Any recommendations on where to get the "fixed" version of the BlitzSafe?

Although the extra inputs on the PIE are enticing... you never know....
www.enfigcarstereo.com -his shop is cl;ose to Blitzsafe, so he gets the updated product first.

If you're original goal was low cost, the IR transmitters blow that (Wow $$$, and i need one for my home theatre)... and the power inverters...

Now you're beginning to see why I didn't go this route with an XBOX.

I JUST ordered a mediagate and HDD myself.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

OK, I ordered Dom's unit today. I am still undecided on PIE vs. BlitzSafe, but am starting to lean towards the PIE unit just because the install instructions on this site (at least the ones that have pictures) seem to all be using the PIE unit. Also, those extra inputs may come in handy someday...

I hope datmrman is still monitoring this thread... I think most of what he did is what I need to do, with the exception of the Xbox of course.

Question regarding powering Dom's unit... I have been reading and seen pictures of this "add-a-circuit" thingy. I guess it's recommended to get one of these and extend the wire from the fusebox back to the trunk?

Is it possible to extend a cigarette lighter outlet to the trunk as well? That way I can just keep the power inverter in the trunk, near the Xbox, and not have to worry about the power cable not reaching the inverter, or the inverter not reaching the center console outlet.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Oh, thought of another question. How many add-a-circuits will I need if I need to power the following things:

1. PIE X3 (under steering wheel like datmrman's install)
2. Dom's Unit in trunk
3. Xbox and IR Extender kit via a 2-outlet Power Inverter

And what kind of wire will I need to use to extend from fusebox to trunk? I have a surplus of 16-gauge speaker wire, as well as a large spool of Cat5e. Will either of those do or do I need to buy specific wiring for power purposes?

More questions to come I'm sure... thanks for any replies...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:39 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

OK, I ordered Dom's unit today. I am still undecided on PIE vs. BlitzSafe, but am starting to lean towards the PIE unit just because the install instructions on this site (at least the ones that have pictures) seem to all be using the PIE unit. Also, those extra inputs may come in handy someday...

I hope datmrman is still monitoring this thread... I think most of what he did is what I need to do, with the exception of the Xbox of course.

Question regarding powering Dom's unit... I have been reading and seen pictures of this "add-a-circuit" thingy. I guess it's recommended to get one of these and extend the wire from the fusebox back to the trunk?

Is it possible to extend a cigarette lighter outlet to the trunk as well? That way I can just keep the power inverter in the trunk, near the Xbox, and not have to worry about the power cable not reaching the inverter, or the inverter not reaching the center console outlet.
Hey, that's not nice. I'm the only guy responding to yuor questions...
Yep datmrman's write up is great. You have to do all that. Your AV source is irrelevant, and can be exchanged for other devices once these things are installed.

Well both blitzsafe and PIE are plug an play... and require the same amount of work to install... but go with whatever floats your boat. The XM display issue still bothers me, and I'm very happy with my Blitz.

Yes, you can run power with the add a circuit thingy.

I didn't. I just tapped pin2 of the Nav's 8 pin connector for my video switcher. There's no need to run another a wire, as that circuit is already fused. I also installed an inline fuse (3A) between the AV box and the Nav power splice for additional security. My splices are clean and my solders are good... The AV switcher take mA's to operate, it in no way place enough load on the circuit to be concerned. Warranty? I could remove the splice and re-tape as no tech would EVER find it... but the risk is VERY low as is. The circuit fuse would blow way before a problem could arise.

Folks like to argue this because they're uncomfortable splicing into wiring... but it's true. It's all about load.

Running a 12V cig lighter from the add a circuit thingy isn't reccomended either... The add a circuit thingy only supports 10A (per the directions). If you plan to install a power inverter (in the cig lighter) and use that to power the XBOX, that may push the limitations. Power for the inverter should come from the battery directly.
You can extend that power wire from the battery, like you we're installing an amp. More work, but the right way to do it.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Oh, thought of another question. How many add-a-circuits will I need if I need to power the following things:

1. PIE X3 (under steering wheel like datmrman's install)
2. Dom's Unit in trunk
3. Xbox and IR Extender kit via a 2-outlet Power Inverter

And what kind of wire will I need to use to extend from fusebox to trunk? I have a surplus of 16-gauge speaker wire, as well as a large spool of Cat5e. Will either of those do or do I need to buy specific wiring for power purposes?

More questions to come I'm sure... thanks for any replies...
You need stranded wire. 16G is fine for these low voltage devices.

1) PIE X3 requires power? Huh. Blitzsafe is completely plug and play. No circuit required...

2) Splice from Nav, no circuit required, if you're OK with it. No circuit required.

3) Power from inverter, which draws from battery. Another consideration... how will you turn the inverter on/off? They usually have a big "switch on them.

Since you're doing dom's unit, plan to install the reverse camera?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

I browse almost every thread in this forum.

I'm not responding since I know helpful members, like yourself, will help out. Thanks Kennedy.

To answer some questions, in reality, you don't really need mini add-a-circuits. I tapped the cig adapter/power outlet of the center console and ran it back to the trunk to power Dom's unit. As for the PIE X3, I could have tapped the front cig adapter to power that instead of the mini add-a-circuit. The current draw of these units are very small, so you can connect a few devices to one power line. Crook and DCC have mentioned in a few threads that they've attached Dom's, DVD Player, and backup camera to one power line.

Just FYI, Dom doesn't recommend tapping the nav for power.

There are many ways to run power wires. I like the idea of switched power wires. This basically means that power is on only when the key is in the ignition and off otherwise. Then I don't have to worry about my battery dying if I forget to turn something off. Fuse location #32 and the cig adapters are switched.

You can buy cig adapter extenders at Radio Shack.

Hope that helps. Otherwise, Kennedy will answer any other questions you have.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I browse almost every thread in this forum.

I'm not responding since I know helpful members, like yourself, will help out. Thanks Kennedy.

To answer some questions, in reality, you don't really need mini add-a-circuits. I tapped the cig adapter/power outlet of the center console and ran it back to the trunk to power Dom's unit. As for the PIE X3, I could have tapped the front cig adapter to power that instead of the mini add-a-circuit. The current draw of these units are very small, so you can connect a few devices to one power line. Crook and DCC have mentioned in a few threads that they've attached Dom's, DVD Player, and backup camera to one power line.

Just FYI, Dom doesn't recommend tapping the nav for power.

There are many ways to run power wires. I like the idea of switched power wires. This basically means that power is on only when the key is in the ignition and off otherwise. Then I don't have to worry about my battery dying if I forget to turn something off. Fuse location #32 and the cig adapters are switched.

You can buy cig adapter extenders at Radio Shack.

Hope that helps. Otherwise, Kennedy will answer any other questions you have.

I'm about done though... You can only lead a horse to water.

BTW... No third party will suggest splicing into your OEM harness for liability reasons if YOU screw up.

Pin2 is switched power, and the wire gauge is more than adequate for the current draw of the Nav AND the TV switcher. There's nothing special going on back there. Dom also suggests against self install if you're not comfortable. Do what makes you feel good, but I'm here to tell you it's fine.
All that talk, yet folks hack right into the exact same harness to install the KPtech window controller.

I installed an add a circuit in #32 to power my radar, DVD, phone charger, and Ipod charger (all permanent mount). I wasn't about to pull all the trim to run another wire to the back.

Again... extending another cig lighter, from an existing cig lighter to power an inverter is not a good idea. the inverters draw will likely blow the "accessory fuse" that the cig lighter is powered from.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Didn't mean it that way... I really appreciate your help!

Yep datmrman's write up is great. You have to do all that. Your AV source is irrelevant, and can be exchanged for other devices once these things are installed.

Well both blitzsafe and PIE are plug an play... and require the same amount of work to install... but go with whatever floats your boat. The XM display issue still bothers me, and I'm very happy with my Blitz.

Yes, you can run power with the add a circuit thingy.

I didn't. I just tapped pin2 of the Nav's 8 pin connector for my video switcher. There's no need to run another a wire, as that circuit is already fused. I also installed an inline fuse (3A) between the AV box and the Nav power splice for additional security. My splices are clean and my solders are good... The AV switcher take mA's to operate, it in no way place enough load on the circuit to be concerned. Warranty? I could remove the splice and re-tape as no tech would EVER find it... but the risk is VERY low as is. The circuit fuse would blow way before a problem could arise.

Folks like to argue this because they're uncomfortable splicing into wiring... but it's true. It's all about load.

Running a 12V cig lighter from the add a circuit thingy isn't reccomended either... The add a circuit thingy only supports 10A (per the directions). If you plan to install a power inverter (in the cig lighter) and use that to power the XBOX, that may push the limitations. Power for the inverter should come from the battery directly.
You can extend that power wire from the battery, like you we're installing an amp. More work, but the right way to do it.
I was originally planning on plugging in the power inverter into the cig lighter of the center console, putting the power inverter under the passenger seat (so I can reach it to turn it on/off manually) and hoping that the Xbox power cord was long enough to get to the passenger seat from the trunk, underneath the carpet. If necessary, I would have used an extension cord.

Then I thought, maybe instead of putting the power inverter under the seat, put it in the trunk and extend the cig lighter instead.

It seems that maybe my first instinct was closer to how I should do it, since I do need to get to the power switch somehow (unless I just kept it on all the time, since it shuts off when the ignition is off).

I would rather not run a wire to the batttery if at all possible. From what I've read on the Xbox forums, the Xbox doesn't require much power...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

I'm about done though... You can only lead a horse to water.
Hey... I resemble that remark!

Quick Reply: 2005 TL w/NAV - Xbox Project (The Quest Begins...)