'08 Type S Navigation in Italy

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Type S Navigation in Italy

New to the furom had a quick question about my wifes's TL we just had it shipped to Italy. My question is

1. Will the car still be able to provide Navigation overseas or will I have to get another DVD Disc all together.

2. Will the satillite update anuyhing for the car also for maintenance etc...
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i dunno but thats so cool i wanna ship my car over... But def. gotta switch some stuff for it to work.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM
University of Tennessee

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
If the stock navi is anything like tomtom or garmin, than it will not work overseas. You may want to contact acura to see if they have any navi discs for europe.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 PM
8th Gear

Well I mailed the Navigation disk to here yesterday so more to come. I was hearing some horror stories from here who claimed that another GI had no navi once his car shippped. I really home thats not hte case becuase I would think that the Acuralink would work anywhere and it would atleast provide some limited navigation.... if a tom tom can do it why not the TL.... but more to come thanxs for the replies guys. and I dont want to do anything wiht this damed local acura pukes....very bad customer service...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 AM
8th Gear

OK folks so my wife recieved the Navi DVD rom and this Effin TL Navi doesn't work in Italy!!! How the hell acura has a car that's a worldwide Japan car and the dam navi doenst work... this is garbage on honda part?!
1. Now that's unacceptable for the wife now I know she's gonna grab a "Tom-Tom" or equivalent but....
2. How come after searching I cant find a "euro" disc on ebay nor any info at Navtec website.... wow?!?!

Who on hear has serious insight on this? isn't there a TL's in Italy and Europe?

Dont tell me my wife has to go to Honda downtown in Italy and attempt to get a DVD for a 08 TL....
Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by sadam-insane
How the hell acura has a car that's a worldwide Japan car...
2. How come after searching I cant find a "euro" disc on ebay nor any info at Navtec website....

The Acura 3G TL is a USDM-- United States Domestic Market-- vehicle. It was assembled in the US and sold in North America. The 3G TL was not distributed or sold by Honda in Japan or Europe. There may have been some assemblies and sales in China, though.

As a result, only Navi DVDs with info for the US and Canada exist for the 3G TL.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sadam-insane
Who on hear has serious insight on this? isn't there a TL's in Italy and Europe?
Do not look for what does not exist. TL navigation system will not work in Europe. Car Navigation Systems Alpine for the U.S., Europe and Asia have the technical differences. I know them on a physical level. Their presence could explain the peculiarities in the warning systems on road conditions. But the real reason deeper. Honda has its own policies to protect markets.
You can use alternative solutions. Do a search on youtube.com by key Honda Acura Navi Hack
Old 04-01-2010, 04:33 AM
8th Gear

GUys thanxs so much for the help....I was hitting this on a Honda angle as a matter of fact but It tripped me out whe n the wife told me what the car was doing when she got the disc. Well I guess this will be my opportunity to start modifying that TL then...

Also that is crazy that this car is USDM only.... then the Accord/TSX is the worldwide frame? I guess when I get there I gotta to look at the accords to see what navigation their running.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 AM
8th Gear

Ok Guys I just looked a few more of the Navi Mod and additions... But

1. Will it allow the Navi to work across the water I saw that there was a satellite/gps screen but will it unlock the Alpine.

2. I might be jumping ahead of this but is the RL and or Accord the same thing or can I grab one of those from a wreck and stop all this mess and or add the hack to the later?

Sorry guys but Im on night owl status and oly able to engae when im going to bed... sorry
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM
e92 335i

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
if they sell hondas in italy you can try going to your local honda dealership and buy a navi disc and put it in the tl, im sure it will work, the only thing that could possibly be different is the splash screen "honda" instead of "acura"
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Acura Love

Cool There is No Way to Load a European Navi DVD in your USDM Car.

Originally Posted by ladiesman217
if they sell hondas in italy you can try going to your local honda dealership and buy a navi disc and put it in the tl, im sure it will work, the only thing that could possibly be different is the splash screen "honda" instead of "acura"
The reason the Honda European Navigation DVD will not work here is due to the Region Codes of the Navigation DVD. The US is Region 1 NTSC while Europe is Region 2 PAL. The DVD's are completely incompatible.

Let me tell you, we bought the Honda Europe disc and found out the hard way. We bought it from a U.K Honda dealership and paid in British £(s). We got our money back, and I was smart enough to save an image of the Europe disc. I tried to reformat the disc to the US region code, but unfortunately, the code for the US Navi uses a completely different traffic system (NAVTEC) than European Hondas, so this too was incompatible.

We came up with a workaround using the Alpine Blackbird II, the Alpine Vehicle Hub and NAV-TV Honda Adapter. I can give you the Model Numbers if you are interested. I sent a message to your profile.

BTW: The TL and Accord are USDM only models, so Honda/Acura really do not see the benefit of offering a EU disc for these models. If they realized how many Acura's are in Europe and how many customers they lose to BMW, Audi and Volvo, they might change their outlook.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lando77

We came up with a workaround using the Alpine Blackbird II, the Alpine Vehicle Hub and NAV-TV Honda Adapter. I can give you the Model Numbers if you are interested. I sent a message to your profile.

Oh man hey guys this is defiantely an old post but here goes... Lando I saw your message and post but this is something I already knew about when I saw guys doing the CarPc thing but, the added components etc is something I ddint want to do... especially when I saw that there only compat with up to 07 cars... My wife's Car is an 08 type S which I was weary about trying since it might be diferent molex plugs etc.... I thought the Navi hack would allow region setting and manipilation etc... I was definatle gonna try the same thing you did with the local Honda dealership so thanxs for that insight, for I wont try that route now... I guess. But has anyone else able to do the image manipulation like LAndo attempting? or will I have to go with a Carpc and or component addition hack for Navi in this forsaken country?

Last edited by sadam-insane; 12-03-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 AM
3rd Gear

Hey, I just moved to the UK but I called a Honda dealership and they said they might be able to help with the Accord Euro discs (East+West) so i'll let you guys know if they help me out. I haven't used my Navi here yet but fingers crossed!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
so you can't just get a NAVI unit in Europe and just connect that to the TL screen? It isn't compatible like that?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry i dont visit more often....

anyway lived in italy for three years. that is three years without navi.

here are some things to do

1. get a beater. the tls "hips" are way too wide for some of the areas espicially if you are in sigonella. only drive her in main areas.

2. get a car pc that has GPS.

3. modify the screen for other use.

4. and if you are in sig def learn how to maintain your own car dont take it to the "auto port" even for an oil change.

5. dont use the "esso" (esp the one near mineo) fill her up with "agip"

6. learn to navigate the area and learn the back streets so when shit gets flooded out you know how find your way.