07 TL-S Reverse Camera - Constant On?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 TL-S Reverse Camera - Constant On?

I think I may have brought up this topic quite some time ago but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

I've been thinking I'd like to have the option to have my reverse camera constantly on. Basically I'd like to be driving down the road and If I choose I'd like to be able to see the traffic behind me. I know this would be possible with an aftermarket system... but I'd like to know if it's ever been done with a stock unit.

I'm sure it's possible but I wouldn't know where to start. I might be shooting up the wrong alley here but I'm wondering if there would be anyway to have it routed to "aux" so basically when you toggle over to "Aux" the camera would activate.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why would you want that feature?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Let's Go Pens

Damnit ray, don't make me explain myself to you haha. It's just one of those little extras I wouldn't mind having. I've actually wanted this since riding in Ahmad's TL (06 Acura TL) I'm not sure how but I think it might help at night in blind spots too
Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Huh? You have a rear view mirror for that. Why would you need to see the area around your bumper while driving down the road?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
He wannabe a Gemballa TL-S
Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Instructor

I have wanted to do this too. But did not know where to start... Where is the switch that actually turns it on? The camera has a way wider viewing span to than the review mirror. When I'm backing out of the garage in the morning I can see cars coming down the road way ahead of time before I can see them in the mirror.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM

it's hooked up to the reverse switch/lights

the camera gets powered when you put the car into reverse. get the schematics, and you should be able to figure out which wire(s) need to be used
Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once you get this working, then you need to put a motorized zoom lens on the camera and image recognition software so you can pick off the fuzz scoping you out from the distance.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by FRST4DR
I have wanted to do this too. But did not know where to start... Where is the switch that actually turns it on? The camera has a way wider viewing span to than the review mirror. When I'm backing out of the garage in the morning I can see cars coming down the road way ahead of time before I can see them in the mirror.
Exactly which is why I figure this would be nice for blind spots. I love it when i'm backing out of a driveway or even parked on the street and if I just put it in reverse I can see the oncoming traffic that I would have to struggle to see by looking over my shoulder. It would be nice to just have it in drive and be able to use this feature.. Just my thoughts. Might be a fun spring/summer experiment, but it would be nice to know which wires are for what before I start toying around with them
Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Evader
Exactly which is why I figure this would be nice for blind spots. I love it when i'm backing out of a driveway or even parked on the street and if I just put it in reverse I can see the oncoming traffic that I would have to struggle to see by looking over my shoulder. It would be nice to just have it in drive and be able to use this feature.. Just my thoughts. Might be a fun spring/summer experiment, but it would be nice to know which wires are for what before I start toying around with them
from a quick glance of the schematics it looks as if it's the green/black wire that comes from the reverse relay
Old 03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Try the rear view mirror. Its free and the picture is of much higher resolution.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Let's Go Pens

damn! I didn't think I was going to get flamed for this shit lol
Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
2007 TL Type-S

damn! I didn't think I was going to get flamed for this shit lol
I agree man. I think it would be cool. Even cooler would have it hooked to a hard drive and a proximity sensor so it can record that dirtbag that hit's your bumper in the parking lot.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yea I am interested in this also... I have seen a couple of the guys with wendy cams make a switch for them... works bad ass I would love to have it constantly on while I am parking rather than it switching... why? well that half second delay .... lmfao

dunno if I'd like to look down to cover my blindspots... rather turn my head it is more natural
Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

LOL at the responses...

Brad, that may sound like a cool idea, but when you are driving, watching a screen is bad news man. You can't see what's in front if you are looking down trying to figure out what lane which car is in and how fast they are coming. It happens quicker with the rear view mirror because it is looking ahead and everything is still within your peripheral vision. That's why they don't want you doing the Navi while driving, and why DVD displays are illegal up front in most states. By looking down and focusing on that, you lose some concentration for what is coming ahead. Remember a second is all it takes for someone to change lanes and crash your shit up. Be careful my dude...the bad outweighs the good in this.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
ok just to set you all at ease. Doesnt look like its feasable anyway. The input to Navigation unit to turn on the rear camera is the same circuit as the reverse lights. In other words the the reverse lights would have to come on in order for the camera to come on. And secondly the multiplex sends out that signal on the automatic and would most likely throw a code if it detected voltage on the reverse light circuit when the gear selector is in drive.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ Good, because Brad is supposed to be washing my car this spring/summer and I would hate to have to do it myself because he got fucked up looking at a R8 in that rear view cam!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Let's Go Pens

see now I have to find a way to make this shit possible...Saying it isn't feasable i'm not someone who can accept that haha. I'm going to have to do some extensive research on this little project and If I come up with anything I'll ressurect this thread. I know it's not the samy system and all that shit but I believe Yukon Denlai has this exact feature standard.

The point Al made about the half-second delay is just another reason why I'd like to have this little feature. I have more important things to worry about for now though like a drop, wheels and the lower grille.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I have more important things to worry about for now though like a drop, wheels and the lower grille.
...And washing my car right?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Instructor

see now I have to find a way to make this shit possible...Saying it isn't feasable i'm not someone who can accept that haha. I'm going to have to do some extensive research on this little project and If I come up with anything I'll ressurect this thread. I know it's not the samy system and all that shit but I believe Yukon Denlai has this exact feature standard.

The point Al made about the half-second delay is just another reason why I'd like to have this little feature. I have more important things to worry about for now though like a drop, wheels and the lower grille.
I'm not sure if this will help, but I saw a similar discussion here:

http://www.hondapilot.org/

Some guy wanted a toggle for his rear view camera so he could check the trailer he was towing while on the highway. I have an 08 Pilot with Navi and it's a very similar setup to the 07+ TLs so perhaps his solution will work for you.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Let's Go Pens

Thanks redman!

I just found the link:

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/sho...+Camera+Toggle

Now I just have to find out where this wire would be in the TL and I'll be in business
Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Without getting this thread booted to the modifications area, does anyone know if this would be a generally correct breakdown of what jctatman was describing here?

I don't have real knowledge of electrical wiring, but have tinkered quite a bit with good success in the past and was just curious to know if I was following his description correctly?

Also, based on his description, does anyone know if powering the reverse relay side of the diode lets the system function as "stock" or if both conditions power up the camera?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks redman!

I just found the link:

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/sho...+Camera+Toggle

Now I just have to find out where this wire would be in the TL and I'll be in business
you can get the wire either directly on the navi drive or at the relay under the dash
Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Let's Go Pens

^ Thanks man! You're avatar scares me but I bet the ladies love it lol
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could always just run a cheap second cam feeding the input through your nav2go or something similar.I know this is extra money but sounds like less work
Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 AM

^ Thanks man! You're avatar scares me but I bet the ladies love it lol
my wife enjoys it
Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys I have thought about this for a while, but have been too lazy to do it (sorry). Plus I thought I was the only one interested in doing it. Seeing as there is other interest, I might just go ahead and do it to prove it's done. This project got put on hold after my (much more labor intensive project) of putting seat heaters in my rear seats https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173199

Anyway, back to point. I have a 6 speed, and I haven't looked into the schematics for an Auto. But for the 6 speeders out there, this mod would be very easy and straight forward. All that would be needed is wire, a toggle switch, and a diode (and of course misc connectors, etc).

Without posting the schematic, this is a little more difficult to explain. But basically all you would need to do is run a wire from a power source (empty fuse spot in the box, battery, another hot wire, etc), to the toggle switch, and then to the back of the wire in the navi for the feed in/command on. (I forget which wire this is since I don't have my "plans" with me here by my side).

The diode would then be placed before the splice in, not allowing that 12v to be sent back, i.e. to the multiplex. This would keep the reverse lights from coming on, ECU/multiplex/anything else from thinking you're in reverse. Overall you would just simply be telling the navi "I'm in reverse, so turn the camera on", but nothing else would think you're in reverse.

Again without the schematic this probably doesn't make a lot of sense. And I wrote this up rather quickly, so it may not make sense/sound formal. Maybe I'll actually get around to doing this mod since poeple are asking.

And I'll double check for all you auto trans guys out there too

-- Kevin
Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by acuratech239
Guys I have thought about this for a while, but have been too lazy to do it (sorry). Plus I thought I was the only one interested in doing it. Seeing as there is other interest, I might just go ahead and do it to prove it's done. This project got put on hold after my (much more labor intensive project) of putting seat heaters in my rear seats https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173199

Anyway, back to point. I have a 6 speed, and I haven't looked into the schematics for an Auto. But for the 6 speeders out there, this mod would be very easy and straight forward. All that would be needed is wire, a toggle switch, and a diode (and of course misc connectors, etc).

Without posting the schematic, this is a little more difficult to explain. But basically all you would need to do is run a wire from a power source (empty fuse spot in the box, battery, another hot wire, etc), to the toggle switch, and then to the back of the wire in the navi for the feed in/command on. (I forget which wire this is since I don't have my "plans" with me here by my side).

The diode would then be placed before the splice in, not allowing that 12v to be sent back, i.e. to the multiplex. This would keep the reverse lights from coming on, ECU/multiplex/anything else from thinking you're in reverse. Overall you would just simply be telling the navi "I'm in reverse, so turn the camera on", but nothing else would think you're in reverse.

Again without the schematic this probably doesn't make a lot of sense. And I wrote this up rather quickly, so it may not make sense/sound formal. Maybe I'll actually get around to doing this mod since poeple are asking.

And I'll double check for all you auto trans guys out there too

-- Kevin
Sounds like Brad (Evader) needs to take a trip to Lancaster County!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had that on my 2005 tl but when ever i had it on the reverse lights would come on.but now i have the type s
Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

It's done now I'll post up a write up of all the details at a later time...I'm at work now but just wanted to let everyone know it's possible. And no, the reverse lights don't come on, the mirror doesn't tilt down, etc. Just the camera's image comes up on the nav

-- Kevin
Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
mine stays on all the time, but i dont have factory nav...i have the option to switch back and forth.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratech239
It's done now I'll post up a write up of all the details at a later time...I'm at work now but just wanted to let everyone know it's possible. And no, the reverse lights don't come on, the mirror doesn't tilt down, etc. Just the camera's image comes up on the nav

-- Kevin

Let's Hear it!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by MustBeTL
Let's Hear it!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178222

There you go! Click the link for the write-up

-- Kevin