06 Non Navi to 07/08 Navi w/Navtraffic COMPLETED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
06 Non Navi to 07/08 Navi w/Navtraffic COMPLETED!!!!

Ok,

So i ordered the 07-08 screen, mp3 radio, sub display, dvd drive and disc from one seller for $829 shipped and a diff seller had all of this:
List of parts again for 08 TL $850 shipped
-Roof harness
-DVD drive harness including antenna on roof
-Dash harness
-Antenna under the passenger rear speaker
-Backup cam w/wires and trunk license mounting plate
-XM satellite computer box
-Trunk liner
-Both left and right aluminum center console trim pieces(mine are all beat up)

I also ordered screws from acura of delray for the gps antenna and dvd drive. I opted to not bother with the voice command as of right now. Had navigation in a previous car with VC and seemed pointless to me anyhow, never used it.

ONLY thing i need is the 07-08 HFL which im having a hard time locating so if anyone knows where i can get one cheap.

I should have everything by friday and maybe get to installing over the wknd. Prob start tearing car apart fri evening and start wiring sat. Oh and not to mention gutting the factory wiring harnesses...

Ok kenny416, zeppelin77, and bzyrice :

First off I am curious about adding the MP3 radio to my current system (i know the connectors are diff but ill have the complete dash harness so no worries there. Maybe if i knew all the pin outs on each connector i could just pop out all of my current wires in the 06 radio connector and then pop them into the 07-08 radio connector? since im going thru hell to add the NAV anyhow may as well do a little extra and use the mp3 feature. ill also be selling all of my original 06 TL crap im left over with if anyone is interested...

I know you guys have both converted 04-06 TL's to the 07-08 Nav with nav traffic. I have everything ill need to do the same, just wondered if either one of you guys can help me out when it comes time to running the wiring. Even tho ill have the complete factory harnesses surely there is a couple wires i will need to route somewhere to configure it into the 06 to make this stuff work. I am almost positive that i cannot just make this totally PnP. So if you guys can assist me in anyway id greatly appreciate it. I dont have the Electrical manuals either. Im also not sure if either one of you 2 had the 08 TL navi factory harnesses to work with or not. If you guys want to PM me your phone #'s i can call you or if your near Indianapolis come HELP haha.

I also would like to add in the capability to play dvd movies while im at it, but dont have the money to invest in the doms unit yet. I was talkin with Martin from ebay and he claims he can make me a custom harness that would give me the inputs to add a dvd player... if its that simple then why dont we all just do that? I mean y cant we tap into where the back up cam input is and add a y connector and put in some rca inputs? Or something along those lines?

Also, if anyone else has any words of wisdom that could help me out id greatly appreciate it! I am very familiar with cars and electronics as well as soldering and circuit boards etc... after all i solder CB's and tiny wires daily at work. I've got 10 yrs electronics exp and almost 18yrs of working on cars so i feel pretty confident in being able to do this conversion.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey if possible if the have another offer like the 850, can you hit me up.. it will help me out a lot... good looks
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SOrry man, cant help with the mp3 wiring.. since I did not deal with that.. maybe kenny can help you with that... Ask Martin how he is going to do the "video in" wiring in because I would have loved that when I bought it from him!! lol

I thought that the 07-08 radios has an extra plug in the back for the audio in wire.. I could be wrong.. so all you would need is the plug and extend the wige to your glove box.. and get the piece to connect to the glove box..

I have alot of the diagrams in my thread between me posting them and vmtsquad. So take a look at those. But they are scans from 04-06..
Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Racer

According to tracking #'s i will have everything today.... Can anyone help? Maybe rent out their 06, 07, 08 acura service manuals and electrical manual or make some scans of the connectors you jumper into? could use the radio connector and what wire goes where on each pin for the 06 radio as well as the 07/08 radio so i can depin the 06 and repin into the 07 connector.

TIA
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Go to the Helms site and sign up for the online subscription. It has everything you need and is easier to follow than the manual. I used it when I did my conversion and recently bought the paper version for some other work I am going to do.

You can save everything to your computer as well.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Isn't MP3 capability just internal to the HU? I don't know for sure though
Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Racer

KN_TL,

Thanks a lot!! i am looking at it now! That is awesome, its like renting one from someone on here for 30 days!

Hmm good point, ur right it would be internal, wonder if the internals could just be switched out?

Do you still have ur account with them and the manuals avail... if so, what if i pay u half the cost? Oh and how long do u have left?
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Racer

Update.... lots of pics!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Racer

Glad i ordered a chracoal cabin filter other day! dont think this nasty thing ever been changed! took me 5 mins to remove glove box and other crap to access filter... EASY!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Racer

My 1 1/2 yr old yorkie decided she would massage my back for me as im playing with wires!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL
KN_TL,

Thanks a lot!! i am looking at it now! That is awesome, its like renting one from someone on here for 30 days!

Hmm good point, ur right it would be internal, wonder if the internals could just be switched out?

Do you still have ur account with them and the manuals avail... if so, what if i pay u half the cost? Oh and how long do u have left?
I didn't see your post, sorry for not replying.

I only signed up for 20 days or something like that, it was cheap. I had to order a service manual for my pilot so I went ahead and ordered the ETM too. But the soft version is easier to navigate.

You shouldn't have to swap anything out. As long as you have the 07+ head unit, it should be MP3 compatible.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Nice work! You made the harness your self? Nice!! Congrats!! Have you completed your install yet?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Racer

I actually got the ENTIRE 08 TL harness from the dash, floor and roof. So i spent a lot of time gutting it... PITA!! its not finished yet but should have done today. i hope... i got the rear camera and license plate mount installed(had painted to match car so my 04-06 plate mount will be up for sale soon) and wiring ran to dvd drive, and that is installed as well as the 08 xm receiver. OH and got the 08 xm roof antenna installed. The Harness ran from drive and so far up to the pass seat and got the red/blk and yellow wires installed. so now for the dash.... im also going to run my amp wiring while car is torn apart.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Instructor

oh my jesus, good luck on that!
I have a base w/o navi and was considering it till i saw your pics,
there's no way I'm going neurosurgeon on my beautiful tl lol
Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by samplemonster
oh my jesus, good luck on that!
I have a base w/o navi and was considering it till i saw your pics,
there's no way I'm going neurosurgeon on my beautiful tl lol
if you dont want to do the wiring like this, then get the custom harness off of ebay!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
O M G...i give major props to you for the wiring!! i am so glad that i got the harness from martin instead of going this way myself. I had a chance to strip a car and take the harness myself and do it the exact same way you are but i figured i could make life alot easier if i just buy the harness from martin, thank god i did. major props to you though, it looks like fun!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Racer

Smile Finished!!!

First i must give my sincere thanks to kenny416 and acuratech239. I must say w/o their help this wouldnt have at all been possible! They both went out of their way and took the time to help a complete and total stranger! So thank you so very much to you 2 for everything you did, thanks to you guys not only do i have the 07/08 style navi system but it WORKS 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!!! Id prob never do it again but damn its sweet!!!

Now i have 07/08 style nav with navtraffic and even mp3 player as well as aux input and back up cam but a nice added bonus is the radio has the xm service hooked up and traffic works as well! the only thing i havent added yet was the HFL since i havent located one yet...

OMG this was a PITA using the entire cars factory harness... i highly recommend anyone to get the martin harness!

As everyone knows, when you buy something used that just because the seller says it works you really have no idea if it does or not and with and expert level conversion such as this if something doesnt work at the point u connect battery and turn on the key (damn was i nervous right as i turned it to on) then u dont know if something u did was done wrong or if you just fried it or the system didnt work once you received it and would make for a VERY difficult starting point to trouble shoot .... as i found out when i first turned the key!

MY PROBLEM at initial battery connect and key on.... i hear the screen beep and see the back lighting come on tho screen staying black. I hear the dvd drive in the back trying to read and screen beeps couple more times NEVER showing a picture but back lighting going on and off. So naturally i freak out not knowing where im going to start and of course a slight bit of anger sets in. So i suddenly remember 2 things... 1 i forgot to put in the nav disc... so i do and still no work... then i membered the 2nd... forgot to plug in my fcan hi and low alond with vss connector. so i did that and still same thing happens and doesnt work. so i turn on the lights and all buttons light up and even security light on radio is flashing. ALSO forgot to mention the subdisplay isnt working at all but i can turn on my vents and everything else just no screen display.. navi controls beep when i push any button. So im really confuse here and thinkin maybe bad screen. So i pull radio completely out and immediately see the problem.... I SOMEHOW FORGOT TO PLUG IN ONE OF THE SCREEN CONNECTORS!!! damned idiot!! so i plug in and turn on and EVERYTHING works perfectly as it should! entered my codes and was extremely excited and happy and suddenly it all became worth it!

Now for the pics!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

wow thats nice dude i need to do the same to my 05...can u help me?

i think my nave is broken its always saying pls check disk....do u know why?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Racer

Title edit

Mods... can you please edit the title of this thread to: 06 Non Navi to 07/08 Navi w/Navtraffic COMPLETED!!!!

TIA!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Instructor

First i must give my sincere thanks to kenny416 and acuratech239. I must say w/o their help this wouldnt have at all been possible! They both went out of their way and took the time to help a complete and total stranger! So thank you so very much to you 2 for everything you did, thanks to you guys not only do i have the 07/08 style navi system but it WORKS 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i have 07/08 style nav with navtraffic and even mp3 player as well as aux input and back up cam but a nice added bonus is the radio has the xm service hooked up and traffic works as well! the only thing i havent added yet was the HFL since i havent located one yet...

OMG this was a PITA using the entire cars factory harness... i highly recommend anyone to get the martin harness!

As everyone knows, when you buy something used that just because the seller says it works you really have no idea if it does or not and with and expert level conversion such as this if something doesnt work at the point u connect battery and turn on the key (damn was i nervous right as i turned it to on) then u dont know if something u did was done wrong or if you just fried it or the system didnt work once you received it and would make for a VERY difficult starting point to trouble shoot .... as i found out when i first turned the key!

MY PROBLEM at initial battery connect and key on.... i hear the screen beep and see the back lighting come on tho screen staying black. I hear the dvd drive in the back trying to read and screen beeps couple more times NEVER showing a picture but back lighting going on and off. So naturally i freak out not knowing where im going to start and of course a slight bit of anger sets in. So i suddenly remember 2 things... 1 i forgot to put in the nav disc... so i do and still no work... then i membered the 2nd... forgot to plug in my fcan hi and low alond with vss connector. so i did that and still same thing happens and doesnt work. so i turn on the lights and all buttons light up and even security light on radio is flashing. ALSO forgot to mention the subdisplay isnt working at all but i can turn on my vents and everything else just no screen display.. navi controls beep when i push any button. So im really confuse here and thinkin maybe bad screen. So i pull radio completely out and immediately see the problem.... I SOMEHOW FORGOT TO PLUG IN ONE OF THE SCREEN CONNECTORS!!! damned idiot!! so i plug in and turn on and EVERYTHING works perfectly as it should! entered my codes and was extremely excited and happy and suddenly it all became worth it!

Now for the pics!

]
Finally, it can be done for the 06 to 07/08 conversion!

Enjoy...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great Swap!

I am going to do the same on my car!

But i have TSX 08 non navi.. .and i want to convert it to Navi!
I already have the OEM parts.. but no harness!

It will be a pain no?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

props on your hard work.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
How did you remove the upper vent panel? I'm trying to do that right now and it's a PITA! I fashioned my own "special tool" and got it hooked back behind the panel and pulled but got nothing. I'm afraid to pull too hard. Do you have any tips?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
How did you remove the upper vent panel? I'm trying to do that right now and it's a PITA! I fashioned my own "special tool" and got it hooked back behind the panel and pulled but got nothing. I'm afraid to pull too hard. Do you have any tips?
You just gotta pull it hard.. DONT BE AFRAID!!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by bzyrice
You just gotta pull it hard.. DONT BE AFRAID!!
Yeah, you sure do. Finally got it. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Now for the pics!

Hey man I'm glad it all came together and worked for you! I saved ALL the pages I faxed you just in case we need them again, or someone else on here needs them. I'm still trying to keep an eye out for the HFL unit for you, but like I said before, they are hard to come by, and expensive new, even at my cost! Congrats again, and let me know if you end up needing anything else!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 PM
8th Gear

Hi,
How do I find out some more info about the Martin harness?

Thanks,
r.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

dam thats nice dude...is the the oem camera? and dose it have the lines to guide u wen u park? i wanna add the camera to my 05 tl tech with navi cud u help me out doin it?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
dam thats nice dude...is the the oem camera? and dose it have the lines to guide u wen u park? i wanna add the camera to my 05 tl tech with navi cud u help me out doin it?
You are going to need a video converter such as doms TVANDNAV2GO or Navtool. Then you are going to need an aftermarket camera. Sanyo makes one which has the lines like you want when parking. It'll essentially the same as when you do the DVD conversion, however instead of a DVD player you plug in a rear view camera.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

wire diagram for my 07 tl backup camera there is 6 wire on my plug