04 TL Double Din swap amp bypass - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 TL Double Din swap amp bypass - need help

Got an 04 TL Navi and I've successfully swapped in a Double Din deck where the factory navigation screen is and it fits perfectly flush looking OEM.
For the AMP bypass, I couldn't figure it out, and I saw a tutorial where it said to take the amp GREY and BLACK harness out and match corresponding wires from harness to harness.
For example, BLUE and RED from Connector B (14 PIN) to BLACK and GREY from Connector A (20PIN), and that will make the Passenger Front speaker work. (Then do the rest for the other speakers)
For now, I've put everything back together to stock till I can figure out the speaker wiring.

Will this work or is there an easier way to bypass the factory amp? If there is, please let me know because wiring wise, I am not the best and Acurazine has the brightest Acura minds in the world.
Could I also go from the radio harness and tap into amp wires to corresponding speakers?
Also saw a method done all behind the dash with the other grey harness and the AMP ON wire.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mousa Msh,

If your intent is to by-pass the factory amp, this can be done at the factory amp location (passenger side kick panel) by disconnecting both wire harnesses. You will then tap into the respective speakers positive/negative wires and connect to the double din wire harness.

Tapping the signal before (Black Harness) shown in the below diagram provides a flat signal. If you tapped the speaker wires after (Grey Harness), the signal will be amplified.

If I understand correctly, you will need to disconnect both the -20- pin and -14- pin Harnesses at the factory location. Tap into the respective speakers positive/negative wires from the -20- pin harness connect directly to the double din speaker wire harness.

Hopefully this helps.Good luck with your install; Lastly, post pictures of the double din install in the Navigation location.

IN
@ the Stereo Amplifierin the passenger kick panel in the 20 pin Black & White connector

Right Front + Black
Right Front - Gray
Left Front + Green
Left Front - Blue
C+ Brown
C- Greeen w/White
RR+ Orange
RR- Red
LR+ White
LR- Yellow
SW+ Red w/Blue
SW- White w/Green

Remote Turn-on -> Red w/Yellow
Amp Mute -> Yellow w/Green

OUT

@ the Stereo Amplifier in the passenger kick panel with the 14 pin gray connector contains the speaker outputs if you want to utilize the factory wiring.

Right Front + Blue
Right Front - Red
Left Front + Light Green
Left Front - Purple
C+ Green w/White
C- Blue w/Yellow
RR+ Red w/Blue
RR- Yellow
LR+ Brown w/White
LR- Red w/Yellow
SW+ Yellow w/Black
SW- Light Green w/Red

Ground -> Black
+12V -> White
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 AM
9th Gear

i’m doing the same thing right now. I’ll finish it up tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Old 04-23-2019, 09:30 PM
5th Gear

Completely forgot about this post but I figured it out the day off, I essentially did exactly what was posted above. Works perfectly, the Head unit has a PRE-AMP built in.

All speakers are working with zero hissing in them or rattling.

It will work 100%, I didn’t solder the connections, I just heat shrunk them and tapped them together just incase I decide to go back to stock when selling it.
Let me know how your install goes brother. Best of luck. Post pictures of it too!!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:36 PM
9th Gear

Yeah I forgot too haha. I finished the install and everything works fine. Glad yours went good too . Here’s my headunit, with 2 12inch subs and my amp in the trunk. Also used a 100ohm resistor to retain my navi functions. Im a happy camper lol

Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Glad I found this thread, I've been searching for a while on how exactly to bypass my factory amp after just installing an aftermarket stereo.

wlbolton mentions connecting the outputs from the aftermarket stereo to the 20-pin IN harness but wouldn't those be the wires that go back to the radio? Wouldn't you want to tap into the OUT harness, as those would go back to the speakers? I'm not familiar with the system at all, so mainly just looking for clarfication.

Secondly, I already bought an adapter to connect my aftermarket unit to the stock radio connector. I'm wondering if I could just unhook the IN/OUT harnesses from the amplifier and then connect the respective wires together? Thus bypassing the amp.

For example, could I simply connect the Black wire from the 20-pin IN harness to the Blue wire on the 14-pin OUT harness, which would be for the Right Front + line? And so on and so forth(Right Front -: Gray on IN, to Red on OUT, etc etc)?

This is assuming that the wires from the stock radio harness, that I connected to the aftermarket stereo using an adapter, go to the IN harness that connects to the amplifier. Is that so?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:51 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by wilsont1988
Glad I found this thread, I've been searching for a while on how exactly to bypass my factory amp after just installing an aftermarket stereo.

wlbolton mentions connecting the outputs from the aftermarket stereo to the 20-pin IN harness but wouldn't those be the wires that go back to the radio? Wouldn't you want to tap into the OUT harness, as those would go back to the speakers? I'm not familiar with the system at all, so mainly just looking for clarfication.

Secondly, I already bought an adapter to connect my aftermarket unit to the stock radio connector. I'm wondering if I could just unhook the IN/OUT harnesses from the amplifier and then connect the respective wires together? Thus bypassing the amp.

For example, could I simply connect the Black wire from the 20-pin IN harness to the Blue wire on the 14-pin OUT harness, which would be for the Right Front + line? And so on and so forth(Right Front -: Gray on IN, to Red on OUT, etc etc)?

This is assuming that the wires from the stock radio harness, that I connected to the aftermarket stereo using an adapter, go to the IN harness that connects to the amplifier. Is that so?
Yep, you're exactly right. Just connect the respective wires from the IN connector to the OUT connector on the amplifier. That will bypass the amp and you'll be set. However if you have an 07-08 the color codes may be different from the 04-06 so just be wary of that.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear

Bypass

can you send me or show me how to keep Navi
Originally Posted by dylangundel
Yeah I forgot too haha. I finished the install and everything works fine. Glad yours went good too . Here’s my headunit, with 2 12inch subs and my amp in the trunk. Also used a 100ohm resistor to retain my navi functions. Im a happy camper lol
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Samuel Rivera
can you send me or show me how to keep Navi
Samuel,

Attached is a video showing the wiring for Double Din installation to keep the factory Navigation by adding a resistor to the harness.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 AM
3rd Gear

60ohm??? Or 100ohm

Any specific 60or100ohm resistor??? Which one did you use
Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Samuel Rivera
Any specific 60or100ohm resistor??? Which one did you use
I used a 100 ohm and I just got it from amazon