[TABLET] Nexus 7 (2013) Dash Install (Non-Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ thanks. I am trying to contact the developer of the kernel Timur and see what he has to say about this. If it really is the ROM that is causing the problem, no point of reflashing it.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRB
I use Timur's Kernel V3.0. It does come with Firm Sleep mode which was enabled, this is why I don't understand why it still draws too much power while idle/standby SMH. Most of the draw comes from Android systems: 78%, next is idle: 22% and google play service 19% . I only installed one app so far "Here" from Nokia for GPS. I also downloaded the "Deep Sleep Battery Saver" App with no help, it still draws a lot of power. Hope you can help. Thanks.
Diagnose with Better Battery Stats or Wakelock Detector. Don't bother the rom or kernel dev for that right away. :S
The following users liked this post:
TheRB (04-29-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

^ Thanks for chiming in bro. I ran Gsam battery monitor before and it showed that most of the drain is from Android OS and systems which means that the devices is awake the whole time. Something is preventing it from going into deep sleep. I read about the wakock detector too but havn't installed it yet but I will try wakelock blocker app next and see what will happens. I have disabled my GPS app and run Deep sleep battery saver app now and see if this will fix it.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
JMiles, sorry to piggy back your thread but its related directly. You would know this for sure.

On a non-nav 3G, could the big hvac display thingy be replaced if one was to use a nav version (or type-S nav), which has those displays in the dash clock.

a) could a different version dash clock fit in the same space?

b) is it a big hassle to rewire that according?

Possible?
Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by enzyme
JMiles, sorry to piggy back your thread but its related directly. You would know this for sure.

On a non-nav 3G, could the big hvac display thingy be replaced if one was to use a nav version (or type-S nav), which has those displays in the dash clock.

a) could a different version dash clock fit in the same space?

b) is it a big hassle to rewire that according?

Possible?
All research have done for this point to it not being possible because it is controlled by the GPS/Nav. It sucks, because that's obviously what I would have done too. Instead you gotta relocate both screens and it's not as elegant as I wish it was.

^ Thanks for chiming in bro. I ran Gsam battery monitor before and it showed that most of the drain is from Android OS and systems which means that the devices is awake the whole time. Something is preventing it from going into deep sleep. I read about the wakock detector too but havn't installed it yet but I will try wakelock blocker app next and see what will happens. I have disabled my GPS app and run Deep sleep battery saver app now and see if this will fix it.
Gsam won't tell you what exactly in Android OS is keeping your phone awake. Don't get wakelock blocker crap before knowing what you're doing, it's putting a plaster on a big gash. Sure, it works, but what you need is stitches.

Last edited by polobunny; 04-27-2015 at 01:00 PM.
enzyme (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up. You know what I have seen lately that has been extremely tempting. There are some android 4.2.2 + android double din head units. Full range of hard buttons, 6.2-7.2 touch screen,CD, SD(micro),aux, USB, BT, sim for 3G(i think). It appears to be very practical and versatile.

Cassette must go. I would sacrifice streamline looking dash for more functionality. Many of them look very barebone versions android. Some have their own simple UI's.

Last edited by enzyme; 04-27-2015 at 11:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by enzyme
Thank you for clearing that up. You know what I have seen lately that has been extremely tempting. There are some android 4.2.2 + android double din head units. Full range of hard buttons, 6.2-7.2 touch screen,CD, SD(micro),aux, USB, BT, sim for 3G(i think). It appears to be very practical and versatile.

Cassette must go. I would sacrifice streamline looking dash for more functionality. Many of them look very barebone versions android. Some have their own simple UI's.
I've seen that too but I cannot part with the looks of the TL dash. If you shop around a Nexus 7 2013 can be had for $100-$120 with a scratched back cover but without scratches on the screen (since it doesn't matter for you!). Need an iSimple device and a few little things, but then you're set. You can pull it off well under $300.

Either way, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

OK, so I downloaded "BetterBatteryStats" and was able to pin point exactly what was drawing the power during the 13 hours that I left the device in standby or idle. The main thing that sucked the power is the "Android systems alarm" which stayed awaked about half of the time the device was indle (approximately 6 hours). The "android systems alarm" consisted of two things: "Android" and "com.google.android.gms" within which there are multiple other small alarms (see pics below). Right now, I am looking for solution as to whether I can disable those two alarms while the device is idle, but in the mean time, if anyone has any idea, please share with me. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by polobunny
Diagnose with Better Battery Stats or Wakelock Detector. Don't bother the rom or kernel dev for that right away. :S

Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Registered Bunny

Google google google. Half the time Google Play Services are the cause.

Here's interesting read that might help you:
[GUIDE] Insanely Better Battery Life When Id… | T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4 | XDA Forums
TheRB (04-29-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

^ Thanks for the link buddy. Will give it a try tonight and seenwhat happens. Will report back
Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Google google google. Half the time Google Play Services are the cause.

Here's interesting read that might help you:
[GUIDE] Insanely Better Battery Life When Id… | T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4 | XDA Forums
Thanks for the lead bro. I did that last night and my battery drain problem got improved alot. It nows only drain 7% per night now. The main source of drain is now isolated to just "Android Alarms" particularly the five shown in pic below. Now if I can find out how to disable those "Android Alarms", I will be golden. Thanks again man, really appreciate your help so far.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered Bunny

Thanks for the lead bro. I did that last night and my battery drain problem got improved alot. It nows only drain 7% per night now. The main source of drain is now isolated to just "Android Alarms" particularly the five shown in pic below. Now if I can find out how to disable those "Android Alarms", I will be golden. Thanks again man, really appreciate your help so far.
That's definitely not too bad. An alarm is simply a process telling your tablet to do something, you don't necessarily want to stop all of them otherwise you will lose some functionality. On top of that, an alarm can be just a "hey, wake up and show me you're alive" then your tablet falls back asleep. 12 wakeups over the course of 12 hours is nothing terrible.

What do you have under partial wakelocks?
TheRB (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

^ Oh I didn't take any pic of the partical wakelock as I didn't get much info out of it. I think it only shows that the device is at sleep for 98% of the time. I already turned off the table to converse battery for my next debug, so I am not sure if I will able to retrieve the partial wakelock info from the last record, but If I can, I will post it here.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered Bunny

^ Oh I didn't take any pic of the partical wakelock as I didn't get much info out of it. I think it only shows that the device is at sleep for 98% of the time. I already turned off the table to converse battery for my next debug, so I am not sure if I will able to retrieve the partial wakelock info from the last record, but If I can, I will post it here.
Asleep for 98% of the time is really good.
TheRB (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

^ I agree, but I still don't understand why it is still drawing too much power
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Registered Bunny

^ I agree, but I still don't understand why it is still drawing too much power
7% over a period of 12 hours really isn't that bad. I don't see how that's an issue unless your tablet has never any time to charge.

You can use something such as Amplify or Power Nap for Xposed framework to really kill all the alarms and sources of wakeup.
TheRB (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:10 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

7% over a period of 12 hours really isn't that bad. I don't see how that's an issue unless your tablet has never any time to charge.

You can use something such as Amplify or Power Nap for Xposed framework to really kill all the alarms and sources of wakeup.
That's true 7% isn't bad at all for most people. The problem is that I don't drive enough to charge it. I mostly use my car to and from work which is only like 10 miles total, so I am only charging like 3-4% max per day. I am thinking about changing my charger to the 2.1A (if I don't already have one, just don't remember what I got now) so hopefully I can get more juice out of it to make up for the 7% loss per day. Worst case scenario, I just have to live with it.

You have been extremely persistent and helpful my friend. Thank you so much. We need more people like you in this forumn which I grateful to be a member of.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Registered Bunny

That's true 7% isn't bad at all for most people. The problem is that I don't drive enough to charge it. I mostly use my car to and from work which is only like 10 miles total, so I am only charging like 3-4% max per day. I am thinking about changing my charger to the 2.1A (if I don't already have one, just don't remember what I got now) so hopefully I can get more juice out of it to make up for the 7% loss per day. Worst case scenario, I just have to live with it.

You have been extremely persistent and helpful my friend. Thank you so much. We need more people like you in this forumn which I grateful to be a member of.
Don't sweat it, help is free!

I definitely suggest a 2A charger for a tablet. Anything less and you'll run out of juice when using the tablet extensively even while it's charging!

I understand the issue, I live 10 minutes from work max, 1.86 miles to be exact so whenever I'll have my tablet installed in my car I might run into issues. To counter this, I might have an extended battery wired to it so it can last a long time, at least until the weekend , where I usually drive for longer.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the kernel on mine and only loose about 2% overnight most of the time. I have had it fail to go to sleep a time or two and it loses like 30% overnight. I have a switch to constant power so if that happens I power down the tablet and flip the switch. I do have a nice power supply wired in so never have to worry about it unless something weird happens.
TheRB (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

I am moving my charging port to the glove compartment this weekend and upgrade my charger to the 3A one too as I happen to have one just laying around lol. So when the battery gets low due to excessive drain, i ma just gonna charge it with a portable battery that I use for camping or if I want to charge it fast, just run an extension wire from the wall outlet and the battery will be full in no time, so thats how I deal with the problem for now until I can find a fix for it.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Hmmm. Now that I think about it. I might just follow your idea about having a switch sitting between a constantly hot wire and the charger "tjl_48" but do you think that the nexus will draw too much power that it will mess up your car battery assuming that this all happens while the car is off (not charging its battery)? and where do you place the switch anyway?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Jesus, how come I can't edit my post???????? Anyway. I have made up my mind and use your idea "tjl_48" as it will save me a bunch of work. Thanks for sheeding light on this. Apprecciate your input bro!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Here is a picture of my setup. I have a buddy with access to a 3D printer and he made me the housing the buttons sit in. To answer your question I have never had any issues with it screwing with my battery. If it happens to be low and I charge it with the car off I either do it over night or when I am at work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c344t3n6l...50.18.jpg?dl=0
TheRB (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 12:38 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Nice, but I don't think I can place the switch like you as my spot was taken for the radio and climate display. I am just gonna hide it in the glove compartment then. BTW, look like we do have something else in common too that is carbon fiber lol, see pic of my set up.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Wow. I even have the same background on my tablet. Ha
Old 05-01-2015, 01:03 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

BTW, just to be on the safe side, I will be using the single pole double throw switch so that only one source of power supply is active at a time.This is to prevent the risk of shorting out the power supply in case where the switch is accidentally closed while the car is on. This tends to happen a lot when you let someone else drive the car because by curiosity they will want to hit whatever switch they can see SMH.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:05 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Originally Posted by tjl_48
Wow. I even have the same background on my tablet. Ha
LOL we might be brothers separated at birth.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

The switch is in, charging like a charm now. Never seen the battery at 100% full since I installed this DAMN tablet until now. Battery drain issue is a thing in the past now thanks to Mr "tjl_48". I love you man (no homo tho) for sharing this idea with me. So glad I made a post in this thread

triax37 (05-02-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 10:43 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Got some good news to report. Last night my battery drain was only 2% (this make me happy as hell). This is weird cuz I didn't do anything to the Nexus except adding in the switch and a new 3A charger. So I think I might have had a bad charger that sucks out more juice from my device than expected. The new charger fixed the problem (very unexpectedly lol) . Thank you so much to those who helped me out. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by TheRB; 05-03-2015 at 10:47 AM.
triax37 (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Nice. That looks good.
TheRB (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:06 AM
BANNED *AKA Tl4eva*

Guys. I got some really exciting news to report. My battery drain problem was completely SOLVED. All that needs to be done is to disable all the google service related apps that are running under the setting menu. After doing that last night, I checked my battery level and it was at 81%. When I woke up this morning, it was still at 81%. NO BATTERY DRAIN AT ALL over night. I am super happy about this.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Registered Bunny

Guys. I got some really exciting news to report. My battery drain problem was completely SOLVED. All that needs to be done is to disable all the google service related apps that are running under the setting menu. After doing that last night, I checked my battery level and it was at 81%. When I woke up this morning, it was still at 81%. NO BATTERY DRAIN AT ALL over night. I am super happy about this.
Yep, as I said earlier, Google Services are often the issue. Glad to know it's fixed.
TheRB (05-07-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Updates (Backup Camera, Power, Features)

Backup Camera
I finally got a functioning backup camera, but it wasn't without challenges.
I purchased the Easycap Viewer app from the Google Play store. It will automatically switch to the camera footage when I shift to reverse.

This is the camera I bought:

Esky® EC170-08

I went through 4 different Easycap devices, and only one worked with the tablet.

These three Didn't work:
  • Sabrent USB-AVCPT
    STK1160 chip, which the tablet recognized but the footage was so garbled, it ended up being useless.
  • AFUNTA EasyCap DC60
    Somagic SMI-2021cbe chip. The stick was labeled "Easier Cap." The tablet didn't recognize it.
  • Tera Grand EasyCap
    eMPIA Technology, Inc. chip (eb1a:2861)
    Again, the tablet wouldn't recognize it. I searched for Linux drivers for this chip but I couldn't find any.

It's fortunate that Amazon hasn't been a pain about accepting returns.

The one that worked shipped from China, and took 2 weeks to arrive, but even this one wasn't without hiccups.
EasyCap DC60"><span style=EasyCap DC60" /> EasyCap DC60">EasyCap DC60
Interestingly enough, this one was also labeled "EasierCap." The chip in this one is a UTV007.
There is static/lines across the camera footage. It's not the camera's fault, either. I tested the Easycap with my old PlayStation and it showed the same lines. See below for video footage.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm just having a run of bad luck. The lines annoy me but it's not so terrible that I feel compelled to return it. It wasn't that expensive anyway.

Power
Someone mentioned power concerns in this thread.
Simply put, I really haven't had any.
The only time I've seen trouble charging is when car has been sitting out in the sun on a hot day, but I attribute that to some sort of thermal protection built into the tablet. Driving around with the air conditioner on will cool down the vehicle interior, and eventually the tablet will start to fast-charge again.

The DC-DC adapter I used works fine. I did wire up a switch that lets me power the tablet without running the engine, but so far I haven't needed to use it since there's been no excessive discharge during tablet sleep.

Lengthier feature test (no commentary):

Last edited by JMiles_T; 07-14-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Links not appearing correctly
polobunny (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered Bunny

Hey Jmiles_T, your video is set to private, we can't see it.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Talking

Hey Jmiles_T, your video is set to private, we can't see it.
Fixed. Sorry about that.
polobunny (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by JMiles_T
Fixed. Sorry about that.
Nice to see it in operation but the reverse cam is def too grainy for my taste. Hasn't triax37 also have a backup camera with a cap device that works better? I think he spent like $70 for it.
JMiles_T (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Nice to see it in operation but the reverse cam is def too grainy for my taste. Hasn't triax37 also have a backup camera with a cap device that works better? I think he spent like $70 for it.
The camera itself works fine, and to be honest I'm not looking to disassemble my interior over again to run wires.

It's just a properly funtioning Easycap that I need. Unfortunately the original genuine Easycap DC60 (STK1160) is no longer in production. Every time I think I've found one, it ends up being an imitation Chinese knock-off. There's false advertising abound, even on Amazon.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Registered Bunny

The camera itself works fine, and to be honest I'm not looking to disassemble my interior over again to run wires.

It's just a properly funtioning Easycap that I need. Unfortunately the original genuine Easycap DC60 (STK1160) is no longer in production. Every time I think I've found one, it ends up being an imitation Chinese knock-off. There's false advertising abound, even on Amazon.
Definitely a lot of fakes even on Amazon. Sometimes the sellers are not aware themselves they have fakes in their hands.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a working setup as of last week. I ordered one Easycap from Amazon, it was no go. So I took to eBay. Didn't want to order from China, but I found one from a computer parts store in Florida that claimed STK1160 (this is the chip you want for autodroid and Easycap viewer!).

Long story short, it is an STK1160 (I popped it open) and it does work...its not absolutely perfect, every so often Easycap viewer will freeze when I shift out of reverse, sometimes I get that static screen for a second when I shift into reverse, etc. But its like 90-95% perfect. I'll try and grab a vid later. Here is the link, and below I'll put paste their email. They had great customer service and it seems like they'd be very open to a return:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291025947107?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Email:
Hi there, how are you?

Thanks for giving us the opportunity, yes, it is STK1160 Grabber Syntek Chipset. If it does not work for your project by any reason, we offer 30 days warranty and we will pay shipping back to us for up to 2 units purchase if return is necessary, just contact us using eBay messaging service. We are 100% committed to your satisfaction.

If you have any other question please let us know, we are here to assist and to ensure your satisfaction. Thanks for giving us the opportunity and have a Blessed Day...
Sincerely,

Boule Najm
Click Computer Parts
JMiles_T (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Just to follow-up - yes, I bought a Febon 100 (link) last year for $70 and it's been working great with the Nexus 2012 USB-ROM kernel. I'm a little jealous of those using the STK1160 folks and new kernels that can auto-detect when the backup camera is receiving power, but for now I just access the backup camera app when needed. Everything has been working great for the past 12 months.
JMiles_T (07-16-2015)

Quick Reply: [TABLET] Nexus 7 (2013) Dash Install (Non-Nav)