Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zeroed Out Mileage "_ _ _ _ _ _"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeroed Out Mileage "_ _ _ _ _ _"

Brought the car in yesterday for a minor rattle fix, and for the outside temperature gauge that read "_ _ _".

They fixed the rattle.

They ran a diagnostic and pulled a couple of fuses related to the OT gauge and the temp reading came back online.

However, my odometer has been zeroed out! It remains inactive while driving the car.

Dealer has order some module to fix the problem. We shall see.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Advanced

I wonder if the milage still counts???? maybe this is just a display error and it still retains the milage.. that would be real freaky if the milage went to zero after they fix it.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro

Drive it around for a couple months then take it back. If the mileage still counted no big deal you were drivining anyways. If it didnt you got a couple hundred miles for free.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:42 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
lol. thats awesome!

lets hope they dont also store your mileage information in the key fob like bmw does
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not think mileage will be wiped out. It will be a federal offence and Honda will not get themselves into such trouble. It is only a display error.

Soopa, I liked your new avtar.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

My previous car had the odometer go out. They replaced a module that fixed it. What I didn't know at the time was that the mileage would be reset to zero. When I tried to trade it in, I couldn't get any money for the car since the odometer reading was not accurate.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

My last car had the cluster replaced which reset the mileage to 0. It was a lease so I just turned it in with the service record that showed the mileage it was replaced at and they added the mileage to get my fees straight. I dont know if the value was different, b/c I just gave it back to Honda Financial

You have to be careful when you do trade/ turn the car in because if you sign the odometer statement and not mark that there is a discrepancy, that can come back to bite you.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Man good luck with that, hopefully the car retains the correct mileage
Old 07-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Doesn't the outside temperature guage read _ _ _ when the external temperature is over 100? Since I live in Miami and this only happens in the hottest part of the afternoon I assumed it was just designed this way and not a defect.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dseag2
Doesn't the outside temperature guage read _ _ _ when the external temperature is over 100? Since I live in Miami and this only happens in the hottest part of the afternoon I assumed it was just designed this way and not a defect.
Nope, Mine read 104 yesterday.

Nick
Old 07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,005 Likes on 575 Posts
There should be a form they can give you which states the mileage that was on the odometer when it was replaced/repaired. They used to use one in Arkansas when I was there. I would think it should be a state or federal law that some type of paperwork must be given to you when the odometer is replaced or reset. Check with your Department of Motor Vehicles about this.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nxtr
Nope, Mine read 104 yesterday.

Nick
Thanks, Nick. Anyway, not going to worry about it. If it's over 100 outside I really don't want to know what the temp is!
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Since it is digital, you should be able to display and record anything. In fact, there should be a way to alter the system so that a true mile is recorded as 1/2 mile or 4 miles.

With the tranny failures, I don't think mileage should count for a rat's @ss. Give me the computer readings of how often the car has been "pushed" and the service records, and a 100K mile car may be better than a 20K mile car.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:25 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Ask for a new car, thats BS that the mileage gets messed up and your resale value takes a hit.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OAT goes to ---.

I've had that problem crop up too, but no odo problem.

So far disconnecting the negative battery terminal has snapped it back. I found out today that if you disconnect the terminal for about a count of 5 and replace it, you don't have to reset the radio or navi security codes.

If you could, please find out which 2 fuses they pulled to get the OAT to reset. It would be less hassle than disconnecting the battery every time.

If pulling power to a specific circuit fixes the stuck OAT problem then I'd bet this is some sort of firmware issue with one of the body control modules. I'll go so far as to bet that the problem is the OAT gets stuck in a loop running the calibration routine.

In my case, both times this has happened, it is on a cooler day that has followed a very warm day.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Advanced

Here's the actual text on the Acura service invoice:

CUSTOMER STATES NOTICE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE READS "--" AFTER A FEW DAY LATER (REPLACE SEAT MEMORY MODULE), WHEN START UP SHOWS LO FOR BOTH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE. CHECK AND ADVISE.

CAUSE: FOUND DTC B1155 AND B1062 GAUGE CONTROL MODULE. 734099 ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS FOR FUEL SENDING UNIT 157

GAUGE CONTROL MODULE TIMED TO RECALIBRATE TEMP. WITH HDS DID NOT WORK REMOVED FUSES #7, #21. RE INSTALLED FUSE'S TEMP. DISPLAY WORKS BUT LOST O DOMETER DISPLAY ORDERED GAUGE CONTROL MODULE.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be firm about getting the car replaced if the mileage was reset to zero by their mistake. Unless u plan to keep the car forever and resale value is not an issue
Old 07-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro

Huh?

My last car had the cluster replaced which reset the mileage to 0.
According to service manual the odometer reading can be retrieved from the gauge control module by the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) if the gauge control module is communicating. If they have to replace the module, the tech is supposed to upload the odometer reading to the HDS first, replace the module, then rewrite the odometer number to the the new module.

According to the factory manual:

"If the HDS retrieves the ODO data from the gauge control module, the ODO value on the multi-information display will appear as "---", making the ODO function unusable, and the HDS will be unable to retrieve additional ODO values."

I'll let people draw their own conclusions about what may have happened...

DTC B1155: Gauge Control Module lost communications with the combination switch control unit (headlight switch message).

DTC B1062: Relay Control Module lost communication with Combination Switch Control Unit (headlight switch message)
Old 07-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

RE: Zeroed Out Mileage

Your photo of the MID display is showing trip counter A. I think you need to press the left or right arrow button a couple times to show the actual odometer mileage reading.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro

Nope...

The main odometer reading is always supposed to show regardless of whether trip A, B, the outside air temp, or oil life is displayed. Cycling the display won't make any difference in this case.

If you looks again you'll see the trip odometer is showing 0.0.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Just got a call from Acura. They cannot restore the mileage, so I'm getting the car back with 0 miles.

I've been driving the car for three weeks and don't have a clue how many miles were driven, but I'm sure it's in the 4-digit range.

The mileage on the car is no longer verifiable.

Any thoughts on my next course of action?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

I wouldn't be complaing, I would driver for at least a few months then destroy them on the repair. I would hope it doesnt register. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Racer

I would be complaining, as I believe there is another hidden diagnostic setting that keeps track of odometer mileage to prevent tampering. If these are out of sync then it could reflect badly on resale value of the car. If the dealer can get access to the diagnostic odometer setting, then one would hope that they could tweak the MID odometer to match (but then again, if it were possible to do that, then it would defeat the tamper-proof argument for why it's there in the first place).

In any event, I wouild put up a mild stink about this and don't just accept a "don't worry about it" reply. At the very least, I would try to get some sort of official letter from the dealership outlining the known discrepancy between the MID and diagnostic odometer readings and claim some sort of responsibility for it, so you can have a paper trail back to the culprit in case you ever need it.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

If you have only been driving the car for four weeks, the mileage should be about 1,200 or thereabouts.

You could get affidavits from people who know you driving habits stating the estimated mileage, and also a statement from the dealer showing the purchase date, the odometer replacement date, and maybe his estimate of miles driven.

Anyway, anyone seeing that the odometer was replaced only 1 month after you bought the car would not be too critical of the fact that it zeroed out.

Last, and most important, no one really ever needs to know that the odometer was replaced. They could probably not find out this information, and if they did a check of service records, it would show that it was replaced only a month after you got the car, so how many miles could there have been on the original odometer.

Quit worrying. It is not as if you had the car 2 or 3 years, or are trying to defraud anyone. By the time you want to sell or trade the TL, all this will be forgotten.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

I do believe you are looking at the trip A odometer. This isn't a record of the miles on the car, just a record of the miles since you last reset the trip computer.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sweaver
I do believe you are looking at the trip A odometer. This isn't a record of the miles on the car, just a record of the miles since you last reset the trip computer.
He is definitely looking at the trip A odometer. The problem is that those 6 dashes (------) above Trip A 0.0 Line are supposed to be numbers showing the total accumulated mileage. The fact that there are no numbers there is the problem.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron A
Quit worrying. It is not as if you had the car 2 or 3 years, or are trying to defraud anyone. By the time you want to sell or trade the TL, all this will be forgotten.
You and I are on the same page most of the time, Ron A, but I sort of disagree with you here.

SFzip - If you're planning to keep the car for 10 years or 200,000 miles, then I think Ron A is right. This is not worth worrying about. But if you might want to sell the car in 3 years, it could matter a great deal. Because depending on who you sell it to and in what state, you might be asked to sign a form verifying the accuracy of the odometer. Assuming you want to sign that form honestly, it could reduce the resale/trade-in value of your car by thousands of dollars. Your claim that only a 1000 or so miles could have been / were put on the car won't matter much in that setting. For that matter, if the car is totaled in an accident and you put an insurance claim in, they may want you to sign a similar form. Your claim could also be greatly reduced if an accurate mileage reading cannot be obtained.

So if I were you I would not drop this matter, unless, as I said, you're going to drive the car into the ground anyway. I think you should complain to corporate Acura, and if they don't give you statisfaction, I think you should consider hiring a lawyer. You may also want to consult with your insurance company. Just my 3 cents.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

TLgator-that's why I said this:

"You could get affidavits from people who know you driving habits stating the estimated mileage, and also a statement from the dealer showing the purchase date, the odometer replacement date, and maybe his estimate of miles driven."

This way, you would have something to back you up in case you need it, and if you didn't need it, you would still have it.

I should have repeated this subject I brought up earlier: Many states have a form which the repair shop is required to fill out when replacing a speedometer, giving either the actual or estimated mileage. See if your state requires this. If they don't require it, see if they have such a form for the dealer to fill out, which will give you more proof of milegae at time of replacement.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Sweaver, Right but if you look above that there should be the odometer reading and that is what has gone to "-----"
Old 07-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ron A - I missed your prior post about the repair shop form. That would probably suffice. Thanks for the info. Affidavits from friends on the other hand, probably wouldn't do much on their own.

In any event, I think this guy ought to get SOME kind of legally acceptable documentation and make a quick call to his insurance company, rather than just let it be where it is right now.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TLGator

In any event, I think this guy ought to get SOME kind of legally acceptable documentation and make a quick call to his insurance company, rather than just let it be where it is right now.
That pretty well sums up what should be done.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:00 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

When you took your car in for service, don't they take down your mileage in? All the dealers I've been to do that so they can verify that you're still covered under the 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty...

I would make a pretty big stink about it because that's one of the biggest factors in resale value. Who cares if you don't plan on selling it TODAY - you might want to sell the car in 2 years. Regardless, Acura should either fix it, provide you with adequate documentation evidencing the failure of the odometer unit, or provide you with a car that has the actual number of miles it says it has (i.e., BRAND NEW CAR! hehe)
Old 07-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Thank you all for the sound advices.

Yes, the shop has records of all my visits. The time they zeroed out the mileage, my car had ~13,000 miles. Maybe they should have kept my car for three weeks, but they did not, so now there are undocumented miles in the 4-digit range.

Their course of action is to order a new odometer and then send it out to some odometer calibration shop to enter whatever miles I want. This doesn't sound right to me.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:45 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by SFzip

Yes, the shop has records of all my visits. The time they zeroed out the mileage, my car had ~13,000 miles. Maybe they should have kept my car for three weeks, but they did not, so now there are undocumented miles in the 4-digit range.

Their course of action is to order a new odometer and then send it out to some odometer calibration shop to enter whatever miles I want. This doesn't sound right to me.
I would definitely put in a complaint with Acura Client Services and have a case manager get back to you. Sending it to some odometer shop is pretty shady to me.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Advanced

About 3 or so years ago I had to get a control module replaced in my '96 Jeep. That module also controlled the mileage. The dealer had to order the part and give my vehicles mileage at the same time. Then chrylser programed the mileage into the computer and then sent it out to the dealer. Chrysler wouldn't send it out until it was coded with the mileage. Just seems odd that Acura doesn't handle this in a similar way.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
If they comply with Federal Law, they have to affix a sticker in a prominet location that indicates that the odometer should have XXXXX miles added to it, if they cannot recover the true mileage from flash memory. I doubt it is stored in the ECM, so likely the defective module will need to be re-set to indicate estimated true mileage or stickered as previously described. Do the right thing - would you be happy to know you bought a used car with a juiced odometer?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Shift_faster

13K miles! I think I must have misread your earlier posts. I thought you only owned your car for 3 weeks, which is why I thought the odometer error was not serious. It seems you have around 14K miles total, that is a lot to zero out. I would estimate the amount of miles you drove in those three weeks, and add it to the ~13K.

Also, as others mentioned get all the documentation you can from the dealership and from the place calibrating the odo. I know my post probably doesn't add any value, but I'm sure there were other people who also assumed your total miles on the car was around 1 to 2K miles.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
13K miles! I think I must have misread your earlier posts. I thought you only owned your car for 3 weeks.....
Just got a call from Acura. They cannot restore the mileage, so I'm getting the car back with 0 miles.
I've been driving the car for three weeks.....
Yes, me too. After rereading this thread several times, I realize he meant he had been driving the car for 3 weeks after the odometer lost the reading. This changes the whole meaning of the thread, and makes some replies invalid.

But most of the advice is still good. GET DOCUMENTATION.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:11 AM
Advanced

Yes, I should have been more clear about the total miles. My bad. But like Ron A said, good advices nonetheless. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hope you get it all straightened out. Let us know.

Quick Reply: Zeroed Out Mileage "_ _ _ _ _ _"