Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino plus Mr. Clean Autodry system

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino plus Mr. Clean Autodry system

I zainoed my car weekend before last. I did the whole process right by the book. Looks great. I then used my Mr. Clean Auto Dry system on it this last weekend. The water beaded amazingly well while initially getting the car wet. However, after I was done soaping, the rinse water did not bead well at all. Now I know the system says that the polymer in the soap causes a "sheeting action" and that the instructions for the Mr. Clean system says it will not strip wax. It also says that the beading effect will be back next time it gets wet. But I want to know that it won't strip my Z2 polish off. I worked too hard all day to put the two coats on. Any thoughts on this? Also I have found in general the Mr. Clean system works very well. I have very hard, well water and the system doesn't leave any hard water spots. Before this system it was very difficult getting the car dry before hard water spots set in. Any Zaino experts please help with this question.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Osteoman,

I cannot help much seeing I just purchased the wash system today. However, I ONLY purchased it for the filter because I also have hard water. Thanks at least for the heads-up on the other crap with the system.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:27 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mr. Clean autodry works great. When you use it to wash the car, there wont be any water beading. You will see the sheeting action. I used it on my car and it rained today and there is water beading.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
VTEC=Happiness apparently posed this question to Sal Zaino or did some research relative to this topic and he noted that the Mr. Clean Autodry stuff does not work well with Zaino and that it should not be used if you are already using Zaino on your car.

I'm sure he'll chime in here soon enough.....west coast kid is probably still in bed.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Team WDP Surgeon General

tripp11

Thanks for the info. Although I would wonder rather they might say this to cause more people to buy their soap versus the soap you have to use in the system. I'm not saying this is true, but I wonder.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Instructor

I've got two coats of Zaino on my TL and have used the Mr. Clean system twice on it since (with one Z7/Z6 wash in between) and have seen no obvious sign it had any bad effect on the shine. I think over time it probably will. I plan on using the Mr. Clean as a quick wash solution when my car gets dusty (Abyss Blue shows the dirt quickly). But when I have time to do a real wash and dry, I'll use the Zaino.

One thing I would recommend is that when you use the Mr. Clean, make sure you rinse the car really well after soaping/washing. The TL has lots of nooks and crannies that hold water/soap (around the rear window for example) and this can cause spots and streaks. I tend to think that Zaino will always say, "only use Zaino". After all, they are in the business to make money. One thing to remember is that this is just polish/wax and if the Mr. Clean takes it off, you can always put more on.

Let's see what happens after we have used the Mr. Clean for a few months.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

from what i read on autopia.org the Mr Clean Autodry is not recommended. There has been nothing said about stripping wax from the car but its a little contradicting when wax is suppose to make the water bead and Mr Clean makes it sheet. Also people have said that the car wash leaves behind a thin nasty film. There were some that said it worked great but it was more nays than yays. i will stick to Meguiars for now.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:22 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by tripp11
VTEC=Happiness apparently posed this question to Sal Zaino or did some research relative to this topic and he noted that the Mr. Clean Autodry stuff does not work well with Zaino and that it should not be used if you are already using Zaino on your car.

I'm sure he'll chime in here soon enough.....west coast kid is probably still in bed.
Hello and good morning....good call Tripp, still in bed, but now ready to being a solid day of postwhoring. Anywho, I have talked both to the Zaino people as well as the Mr. Clean Autodry people (they recently did a corporate based demo at a local auto parts store near me). Both groups agreed that the products may not cooperate with each other. The concern I got from the Zaino people was that the polymer in the auto wash leaves behind layers of residue on your Zaino treatment which makes using Z6 after the Mr. Clean system worthless. Also, this residue way cloud the shine that had been acheived through multiple layers of Zaino. The polymer is simply not a good thing to use with the Zaino.

I approached the Mr. Clean people during their local demo and asked about the product. They told me that the polymers in the Mr. Clean system do continually build up with every wash, thus increasing the "sheeting ability". So, I told them that i have a product (Z6) that I like to use after I wash the car. They indicated that the performance of products like th Z6 may be affected by the additives in their car wash. I then asked about using another kind of wash concentrate other than the Mr. Clean, then finish up with the rinse water that was filtered through the Mr. Clean system. They told me that the only way to make this a truly hands free drying process was to use their car wash to allow for the water to sheet.

After watching the demo on a scale model of a car that they had on hand, the product works fantastic. For me, however, based on how much I believe in my Zaino products and how much I want those products to work as well as they can, it looks like I can't get rid of the drying towels just yet.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

Vtec

Great Info. VTEC. Thankyou. However, now that I have used the Auto dry system once since my Zaino process, what do I need to do? I'll start using the Zaino soap now but have I lost my benefit of Z6'ing? or can I just reapply another coat of Z2 and move on from there. I don't want to start over with the whole process.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

One good thing about the Mr Clean system is the filtered water. It deionizes the water and there are no water spots on the car. you can get a filter for your garden hose that will do the same. alot of RV supply companies sell this water deionizer filter. its about 30-40 bucks and has a valve to switch between regular and filtered water. i have yet to try it as i am ordering one of these filters and will be waiting for it to arrive. its like a brita filter for your garden hose.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Originally Posted by caball88
One good thing about the Mr Clean system is the filtered water. It deionizes the water and there are no water spots on the car. you can get a filter for your garden hose that will do the same. alot of RV supply companies sell this water deionizer filter. its about 30-40 bucks and has a valve to switch between regular and filtered water. i have yet to try it as i am ordering one of these filters and will be waiting for it to arrive. its like a brita filter for your garden hose.

The darn thing is huge. Feel like I'm holding a 44 AutoMag
Old 04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

I use the Zaino car wash concentrate in my Mr. Clean and then following up with the filtered rinse. I don't use the Mr. Clean so I won't have to towel dry, I just like the fact that it filters the hard water. I use the filtered rinse, blow off the water with a leaf blower, and the follow up with a towel and the Zaino gloss enhancer.