3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on Acura TL nose mask for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by jpgayan
Nose bras are for people who want the next owner to have a pretty car while they drive around in an ugly one. To each their own, though.
Or for people who care and don't want thier cars looking like crap for the next 5 summers they have it .. Some of us like to run the Bra on road trips and in the winter to keep the car nice for summer.

Its like the guy that runs his $2000 aftermarket wheels all winter to be cool and then is willing to live with the ruined finish come spring ..

Or some are just slobs and don't care what thier cars look like.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VicTL06
Yeah, I posted a WTB and responded to an ad for one in SoCal. Just playing the waiting game. I've got a line on an 07 in Seattle, but I don't want to buy it and then I can't mod it.
Sorry forgot the link

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/a...ra-tl-bra.html
Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a professional car detailer and say NO to the bra. All cons stated are correct and if you put a nice coat of wax on it and generally keep it clean, you'll be fine. Silver is a great color for hiding fine scratches and nicks. And lastly, bras are very 80's, along with the GTS black out headlight covers of that time, lol.
Ultimately the choice is yours.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 07TLBOY
I'm a professional car detailer and say NO to the bra. All cons stated are correct and if you put a nice coat of wax on it and generally keep it clean, you'll be fine. Silver is a great color for hiding fine scratches and nicks. And lastly, bras are very 80's, along with the GTS black out headlight covers of that time, lol.
Ultimately the choice is yours.
I don't know what wax you use (BTW I'm a pro detailer too ) but none I have or have ever seen will prevent or help prevent rock chips.

Its nothing to do with style .. its function.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
After this past winter I'm seriously thinking about a bra for next year. My bumper really got messed up and I would cringe when trucks would kick up salt on the highway. I would just hear the rocks bouncing off the car and there was nothing I could do about it. Went through a lot of touch up paint a couple weeks ago. Paint is too damaged to justify the cost of a clear bra, but might give the vinyl one a try. Now if I get the hood and bumper redone, thats a different thing..

I'd imagine as long as you remove the bra periodically through the winter and wash the car, it shouldnt damage the paint.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can see doing something like "Invisishield" on the front to prevent rock chips but I just can't justify driving around with a ridiculous looking nose bra all winter just so I so my car looks nicer to people who are within ten feet of my car in the summer. Why look like complete crap all winter so I can look a little better in the summer? If you're the kind of person that does car shows I could see making the sacrifice but I'd drive myself batty if I tried keeping my daily driver in show car shape.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Nose bras are for people who want the next owner to have a pretty car while they drive around in an ugly one. To each their own, though.
Thank you for your very positive contribution to this thread. Any more pearls of wisdom you care to pass along? Take care of you car how you want and I will take care of mine as I see fit.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugly or not but it works. You have to atleast bi-weekly completely take it off clean under it and the paint itself and also let it beathe with all that trapped moisture. I have an OE one and it trapped everything, from sand, dirt, tree leaves, etc.

You have to take also take it off for every car wash and when it rains or your paint becomes foggy like how it did on my TSX(but cleared when I took it off). In NYC it helps a lot with the bra and the full rear guard I posted in another thread. I may buy one for my TL but only for winter and long road trips, and possibly when I know I'm going to go out and I have to leave it in the street.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

VicTL06: The OP wanted to get opinions on whether to use a nose bra or not. I posted my opinion and the reason for it. What have you contributed? Oh yeah, a WTB post earlier in the thread. Thank YOU, for your very positive contribution to this thread.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
OR...for folks who dont want rock / salt chips on the front of their cars.

Did you even read the question being asked?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Read the "Cons" portion of the OP's question. The debate isn't whether or not nose bra's protect the front of the car from rock chips because they obviously do, the debate is whether it's worth the trade off of having an ugly car for the duration that the bra is installed. It's the equivalent of walking around all winter with a band-aid on your forehead with the promise that when summer comes you're guaranteed not to have a pimple on your forehead. Some people are happy to make that tradeoff, others aren't. I fall in the latter category. Don't take my opinion as a personal attack. The comment was directed primarily at people who slap a bra on the day they get their car and leave it on until they sell it. That makes no sense to me, unless you drive a Pontiac Aztec and looks don't matter.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Read the "Cons" portion of the OP's question. .
Cons: Ugly as fuck, lol <<-- yes as in the pix it is .. properly installed not pretty but not bad.

Did this guy even put it on right? <<< No its thrown over the front of the car and not fastened down. When installed properly it conforms to the shape of the car and on top of that its not even the right one for the model year.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think an OE bra is ugly.