Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You think you have bad luck?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:41 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy You think you have bad luck?!

Okay, I guess someone is testing my patience, and boy, it got tested today!

As some of you guys know, in just THIS week alone, I got keyed/branched, got a new rock chip, and now, today, some dude backed up into the front of my car (pretty hard). My car was parked at the time.

There's definitely physical bumper damage, not just paint damage (pics later). This pretty much means the bumper will have to be replaced. To give you an idea of how hard the impact was, the black license bracket was completed smashed in to about 1/3 of its original thickness.

But, in my bad luck, I have some very good luck: The guy left his business card (he owns his own company, and its medically/scientifically oriented, not some random startup) and wrote on the back of it an apology note and said that he is willing to cover the costs. He also signed it too.

My questions are:
1. On average, how much would it cost to replace the bumper with a new one (parts and labor)?

2. What things should I look out for when getting a new bumper?

3. If for some reason I can't get it replaced but repaired instead, isn't it pretty likely that the labor/parts will add up to more than just replacing the part itself?

My primary concern is making sure that the new or repaired bumper looks like new and matches exactly with the rest of the car (I was one of very fortunate one to have a perfectly matching set of bumpers in terms of paint with the rest of the car).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your badluck but atleast the guy did the right thing and not the usual Hit & Run Routine.

1: Can't help you with giing you a price but some suggestions.

There might be damages behind the platic bumper cover and this will not be seen until you remove it which I stronlgy suggest that you have done by the shop which will do the estimate.

Choose a well recognized and responsible body shop as painting that bumper cover can lead to pealing paint and you will need a shop which will stand behind their work.

Best of Luck

frenchnew
Old 08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bumper (nonpainted) costs $231.81 here: http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...srchrslts1.jsp

Add in another $600 for painting and installing.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

usually the bumper is about 400 maybe a lil more painted OEM, its not worth fixing it cuz bumps and other things always seem to mess up the way its fixed (usually with bondo) so it has chances of cracking or peeling even if its done by a reputable body shop and yes if you were to get it fixed parts n labor would come out to about the same
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I love threads like this... because we are all insurance adjusters or body shop owners and can give estimates online, especially with no pictures provided.

Go to 2 or 3 body shops, get estimates and send them over to the guy who hit your car. If you prefer one of them but it's not the cheapest, then communicate with the guy and let him know why you want to go there.

Get the money from him, pay the body shop, get the car fixed. Done deal.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
AVB for President!

I didn't think a picture was necessary because I think the bumper needs to be replaced anyhow. Repairs are out of the question in this particular case. I just wanted a ballpark figure of how much it would take to get a new painted/matched bumper. Labor costs, I believe would max out at $150/hr, typically.

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I love threads like this... because we are all insurance adjusters or body shop owners and can give estimates online, especially with no pictures provided.

Go to 2 or 3 body shops, get estimates and send them over to the guy who hit your car. If you prefer one of them but it's not the cheapest, then communicate with the guy and let him know why you want to go there.

Get the money from him, pay the body shop, get the car fixed. Done deal.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Wow, nice to hear that the person left a note.

Personal opinion, I'd get a new bumper. The price(s) I was quoted to have 1/4 inch scratches to have fixed on my bumper were ridiculous. Its the labor that is gonna get you. But like Pure said, this guy did the damage. Get the quotes and give it to the guy. You aren't paying for this.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Racer

Very nice to hear responsible people still exist out there. All to many times some coward hits and runs.

The guy demonstrate integrity, and rightfully so you deserve a repair done properly. There is no need for you to work around his parameters as he is the one at fault. I am not suggesting you should bust the guys balls or try to make some cash on the unfortunate situation, but you deserve to be corrected appropriately.

Having had a handful of bumbers repaired or replaced on other vehicles (in Tampa too many people think Stop signs or Red Lights are mere suggestions), it is not a horrific process, if not inconveniant.

Go to your Acura repair center (or the collision center referred by Acura). Get a written estimate with OEM parts (specify that in the estimate request to be sure - your TL is fairly new and no need to cut corners on parts). Also have them note the # of days the vehicle will be out of service for the needed repairs (likely 3). He should expect to pay about $25 / day for a rental / loaner car. Most collision centers have a vendor on site (or through the Acura dealer) to offer this. That is a customary amount insurance will pay for a rental while your TL is being made new (at least here in FL). He is responsible for that cost as well. Your TL, being fairly new should should be properly restored by an Acura referred facility.

If the guy is upstanding, he will respect the estimate and rental fees and cut you a check. If he is not, contact your insurance co with the info he gave you. Ultimately your TL needs to be repaired and your insurance will do that with your coverage (minus your deductables). Your insurance co can then pursue this guy, legally, to recoup that cost and your deductable (in theory at least).

I've done three methods of claims. Bumper 1: the guy paid me outta pocket, no questions asked. Bumper 2: I had my insurance company pay and successfully recouped from the *@&(%(*% that hit me And last, Bumper 3: I had the insurance co of the other (^%%$ that hit me cover all costs and administration without ever involving my insurance co.

But in the end, my vehicle was always repaired amazingly to my satisfaction (aside from the mental blemish that remained )

Suddenly a rock chip seems insignificant, but if I were a betting man, I'd say you have run your course of bad luck for awhile (or at least your TL has).

Think of it as a convaluted way to get out of having to clay your old / damaged front bumper of bug carcasses.... just get a new one!

Gets pics to document the before and after...post em!

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Advanced

bumper damage

funny, i was just involved in an accident as well (2 accidents in 3 months of owning my TL, none of it is my fault).

i was on the fwy in a bumper to bumper traffic n the guy in a 98 civic behind me ran into me. the damage to the bumper wasn't so bad, but there's a hole caused by the license plate screw.

it turns out that the guy was a UM...uninsured motorist. i called AAA and was told that if the damage was w/in my deductble ($1000), i have to pay for it myself and i'll have to personally settle it with that guy. Well, it turns out that, he had no $$ at all, he says he's a student and is between jobs. I told him to give me $400 or something because if i let him go, i wouldn't know if i can get him to pay up. So I actually went to the bank w/ him and it turns out that he only has $190 in the bank?? WTF... so I just got $180 cash from him and let him go. I told him I will go get a quote from the bodyshop and will need to call him back n get the rest of the money from him.

So I went to Marco's ( dealer/aaa recommended bodyshop ) and got quote $800-$900 for brand new bumper, + more if there's internal damage. I haven't called the guy back yet. I will call today and tell him to pay up.

anyone has this experience before? my friends are telling me that if he doesn't pay up, then i can report him to DMV and he'll get his license/car taken away...

what's the best way to way to deal w/ this?

Sorry, this is kinda over-thread :p
Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro

I'd let a responsible body shop or Acura if there going to warranty it. Unless you are going to keep Acura out of the loop. The main thing you need to worry about.

1. Does the paint match

2. Is the bumper ligned up correctly ie. The gaps are equal all the way around.

Other than that just make they do a good job with the prep and spray.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Trance,
Premier Auto Body in Berkeley is very good (according to Lore), family has had good experiences with 19th Ave. Auto Body in SF as well.

MW
Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Buddy buddy... your making me and Regards, hope everything comes out perfect.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:38 AM
AVB for President!

TL'n IT UP.. Thank you for your concern.. I think I should be okay.. I got really lucky in my unlucky incident, since the guy was noble enough to leave his info. I got in touch with him today and he's more than willing to pay for it all.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLover
The bumper (nonpainted) costs $231.81 here: http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...srchrslts1.jsp

Add in another $600 for painting and installing.
yeow that is high!!! My 2g bumper cover was replaced 3 times...! The cost was 550-600 for the cover and labor... 600 just for labor is crazy... just for the cover...

My advice is (if it is just the bumper cover) to have them order it, paint it, and then spend an hour at the shop for the swap. That way the car is not sitting overnight at the body shop and no rental is needed.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
AVB for President!

Typically the best paint matching occurs when the car is there so that they have a basis of comparison. I'll see what happens when I bring it in for an estimate.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
100k miles club

i have a similar bad luck, but mine occurs ever other month. when my 6 week old TL's front, driver side fender was backed into, the total cost of replacement was about $1,200. hope that gives you an idea

i used Caliber Collisions. they do a good job. good luck on that bumper. i've seen many cars with bumper damage and they never lined up/fit the same way
Old 08-26-2005, 01:49 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad the guy took responsibility for his mistake. Here's a body shop my folks have been using for their cars over the years. The guy take real pride in his work:

http://www.custompaintfinish.com/

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
And I thought I had a bad week:

1.) On my way home from work, a truck in front of me, didn't bother tying anything down into the bed. Toolbox flew out, and nailed my car dead-center at 50+mph. Almost tore off my license plate mounting plate, and left a nice scuff on the bumper. Looks like the license plate took most of the damage tho. I thought for sure my front bumper/lip was a gonner...

2.) Replaced tranny fluid in other car, next day. Went to pull off tranny filter, and the inlet tube snapped, so I spilled tranny fluid all over my face, getting it in my eyes. That really hurt Must've spilled a good couple quarts of tranny fluid all over the garage floor.

3.) Inlet tube snapped inside the tranny, so my slide-hammer wouldn't fit, so I couldn't remove it easily. I wedged a screwdriver in there, so I could break it out. Well, it broke alright, but then it fell into the tranny After some blind probing with my fingers, I got it, and used needle-nose pliars to rip it out.

4.) So with that job done, I went to replace the supercharger oil in my other car. I proceeded to completely strip the fill plug Bought assorted easy-outs and such, but none of them worked, with the hole that's already on the plug. I'll have to drill the plug out, but the plug is only 1/2" long, so I'll probably get metal shavings in the supercharger in the process Will have to make sure to suck all the shavings/oil out.

5.) Took out my other car (same car that got nailed with the toolbox), and took a rock to the windshield dead-center on the driver's side.