Are you guys impressed with the quality of your Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007 | 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sftroy
Quality sucks and I've moved on to Infiniti....

sftroy
Why do you still post in this forum then? To "enlighten" us?
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by M3 350Z
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 2007 TL Type-S and I've never owned an Acura before. I know they have a good reputation but I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on how pleased/displeased you are with the quality of your TL's. Thanks
In 2000 I bought a a new TL and have not had any problems with the car. In fact it is my favorite of all vehicles I have owned. I even talked my wife into buying an '07 and she loves it.
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:01 PM
Racer

i've had my '07 just for 200 miles. keeps pullin to the right. service lady was a b~tch to me on the phone today it was 17° and the TPMS was goin wild, drove it for a few minutes and back up to normal. those are the only annoyances so far. that and not being about to open up the engine bc of the break-in period.
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttribe
Why do you still post in this forum then? To "enlighten" us?
I've been a very big fan of Honda/Acura for many years. I love their products and have spent my hard earned $$$ buying 5 new cars since the early 90's. I've seen the quality suffer (look at all the V6 tranny recalls covering many of their products) and when I had a serious issue with their product, I got treated like crap and had to sue. Now the reason I still post here is to do what others have done before me - enlighten others on the problems we've seen and give advice where I can. I'm really not hear to sing the praises of Infiniti... I really wish my 05 TL didn't have these issues as I love the styling. I'm hear to say things like " if you notice a crack in the windshield coming from side and not from a chip - show your dealer because it is probably a mfg defect" or " be careful as Acuras & Honda's are VERY EASILY BROKEN INTO despite the factory alarms" (just ask your insurance guy). I'm trying to give back to this site as others have done for me.

Most importantly, I'd like Acura to see what their poor quality & cust. service has done to one of their loyal customers. Hopefully, they read this stuff and will make changes that will improve the product. I'd love to purchase the concept Acura I got to preview last Spring in SF - but I wouldn't dare if they haven't addressed the quality and the damn alarm issues.

my 2 cents.
sftroy
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:13 PM
Advanced

think about it in this way... where else can you buy a fully loaded (w/navi) luxury car for around $30k not w/ lexus, infiniti, bmw, merc, etc

even though its made in the USA, at least i'm not paying $55k like they do abroad for a TL, besides made in USA is better than made in Mexico or Korea ryt?
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:35 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

If you end up purchasing the car, I'd say go for a manaul, that's the only problem I have with the TL I drive. The gear ratios on the A/T TL are terrible, nearly as bad as the WRX.

Other than that the car is fine, just don't get the seats wet, I accidentally left the windows open on a clear sunny day, and then it suddenly started to downpoor while I was asleep and rain got into the seats of the TL, now the front seats are wrinkled, but the rear seats are in great shape.
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:40 PM

I've been a very big fan of Honda/Acura for many years. I love their products and have spent my hard earned $$$ buying 5 new cars since the early 90's. I've seen the quality suffer (look at all the V6 tranny recalls covering many of their products) and when I had a serious issue with their product, I got treated like crap and had to sue. Now the reason I still post here is to do what others have done before me - enlighten others on the problems we've seen and give advice where I can. I'm really not hear to sing the praises of Infiniti... I really wish my 05 TL didn't have these issues as I love the styling. I'm hear to say things like " if you notice a crack in the windshield coming from side and not from a chip - show your dealer because it is probably a mfg defect" or " be careful as Acuras & Honda's are VERY EASILY BROKEN INTO despite the factory alarms" (just ask your insurance guy). I'm trying to give back to this site as others have done for me.

Most importantly, I'd like Acura to see what their poor quality & cust. service has done to one of their loyal customers. Hopefully, they read this stuff and will make changes that will improve the product. I'd love to purchase the concept Acura I got to preview last Spring in SF - but I wouldn't dare if they haven't addressed the quality and the damn alarm issues.

my 2 cents.
sftroy
Fair enough.
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I absolutely hate my TL
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:47 PM
Banned

The engine is great!

I'm not so sure about the tranny............. afterall, it's made in America. The engine ain't, which is made by thoughful Japanese hands....
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trancemission
I absolutely hate my TL
Why?
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

don't turn this into a TL vs. G35 debate in disguise......
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by meowCat
Why?

red = sarcasm

I could not of asked for a better car. yeah it rattles, so the fuck what, I have it lowered with a stiff suspension, I expect it to rattle now....
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:54 PM
Banned

red = sarcasm

I could not of asked for a better car. yeah it rattles, so the fuck what, I have it lowered with a stiff suspension, I expect it to rattle now....
oh ok..

I like my TL very much too. As stiff as it is I wouldn't mind stiffer suspension.
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:54 PM
Space for Rent

I had a great experience with my 2005 TL. I can't think of any real problems I had with it. The few times that I did take it in for oil changes, etc, the dealership was excellent. Hands down the best dealership experience, ever. I drove it 43000 miles in 1.5 years and just traded it in. Build quality was excellent, I had no rattles in the car at all. The only negative was the the Turanza tires that came with the car didn't last very long at all, maybe 18k miles.

My 3 week old 2007 TL-S has suddenly developed a bizarre problem with the Nav. Documented here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152228
Other than this single issue, my first impressions are same as the first TL. Great build quality overall. No rattles or noises so far.
Old 01-26-2007 | 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 2007 TL Type-S and I've never owned an Acura before. I know they have a good reputation but I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on how pleased/displeased you are with the quality of your TL's. Thanks
I just got a 2006 with 5km only. The car when I play my cd's the back on the dash making rattling noise.
Old 01-26-2007 | 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I have owned 3 (long story) and 04 TL non-navi then an 06 Navi and now a 07 Navi. The 04 was horrible for squeaks and reattles and all sorts of fit and finish issues as it was year 1. My 06 was rock solid, but I dumpeed it when gas went high. I missed it a bucn and bought an 07 1 month ago. Year one cars suck in my opinion from all makers, by year 3 they have it pretty well nailed. Consumer Reports did a survey a while back that pretty much confirmed that. Acura still has some squeaks and rattles issues, my 07 had a nasty one that took me 2 weeks to resolve, but my 07 Camry was as bad or worse than my 04 TL. I think all makers today face squeak and rattle issues due to the snap together nature of the cars, but the TL is a real fun car, that is a superb value for the $$$ and seems decently built. I am less than impressed with Honda V6 based transmissions, but then I won't own the car past the warranty so I don't care. For the money I woudl be hard pressed to find a better value.
Old 01-26-2007 | 10:32 PM
Green Tea

The best investment you will ever make!
Old 01-26-2007 | 10:35 PM
Got VTEC?

Go for the Type-S man, you won't regret your decision. As for my thoughts on my Acura...I have not had any major problems. The only thing I had to do was change out the memory seat box because it was defective, but that was covered by warranty. Other than that, nothing! The service is also very good at my local Acura Dealership,

Matt
Old 01-26-2007 | 11:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FriscoNick
I bought my TL in 05 and have had no problems with the engine, no wind noise (I think that was a problem in the 04). I love the exterior style, very sporty. The interior is fantasitc. Very roomy and comfy seats. The dvd sound system is probably the best in the world - Don't forget though, to get the great sound you have to use dvd's not just cd's.

I don't know about the S however. It probably has a stiffer suspension than my TL, and it definately has more hp. I would highly recommend the TL, a very hot car indeed.

Is there many DVD cds? where can you get them at?
Old 01-27-2007 | 04:30 AM
Advanced

I don't know what "rattles" you guys are talking about. I haven't experienced one on a 07 NAVI and I love it. It runs so smooth on the freeway and the leather quality is really good. l I have a feeling the 07 leather differs from the 06 leather. Some people don't realize that some luxury manufacturers (BMW) put fake leather in some of their cars and compare it to the TL's leather. Everything is good.
Old 01-27-2007 | 06:53 AM
Senior Moderator

To the original poster:

I have owned three Acuras: 2G TL, 3G TL, 2G RL (current car). Long-term regulars will recall that I posted regular updates on my 3G TL periodically precisely to answer questions like yours. In short, I am pleased with the quality of Acura's cars and the problems I describe are relatively minor or caused by me. I traded it a shade over 56k VERY satisfying miles.

The RL I now own is heads above the TL in build quality, but the TL is pretty good.

A couple of my sample posts should start you off if you're desperate for details.

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/canon-s410-147027/

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/happy-bday-2-photoshop-genius-man-makes-board-possible-134667/
Old 01-27-2007 | 07:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ggesq
don't turn this into a TL vs. G35 debate in disguise......
Agreed, ever notice how it's a similar cast of charactors who start that familar debate

Back to the original thread, I'm very happy with my TL. Not so good OEM Bridgestone tires (cured with Avon A/S M550's last week), a couple rattles that come and go, the outside temp guage has malfunctioned a few time but overall my experience has been very positive at 23K miles at ~2 years of ownership. The build quality and materials are also very good for a $30-40K car.
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:03 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

Hmm, doesn't sound so fun jsong.

Plust I've been reading in the "problem's and fixes" section that almost all the new Type-S owners are having a horrible rattling noise coming from defective rear struts
My strut's don't rattle ... I haven't seen the topic in any forum's either
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:32 AM
Intermediate

The topic is under 3G TL's subforum "problems" and fixes. Shouldn't be a big issue. I can't see how they wouldn't have this fixed by the time my lease is up in 3 months
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

The topic is under 3G TL's subforum "problems" and fixes. Shouldn't be a big issue. I can't see how they wouldn't have this fixed by the time my lease is up in 3 months
at the end of the day its all up to you. the car may rattle who knows

but if you're that worried than I say dont get one. I think I speak for most members here when I say I would rather you not get one then for you to get one and come on here and complain about it....

good luck my friend
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I have an 07 G35 (traded in the POS 05 TL) - it kicks ass over the TL from a quality perspective so far. I'm soooo much happier not having to drive my vibrating, whining, dash-fading, rattling TL to work every day. So many people have said that they like the G over the TL once I've taken them for a ride.
why exactly are you here? no offense really. just wondering. do you think if you complain enough on this site Acura will see it and do something about it?
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Quality sucks and I've moved on to Infiniti. I've owned 3 Honda Accord V6's and 2 3GTLs...

04TL: LEMON - acura bought it back. Lots of rattles, crappy tires, vibrations, tranny problems, 1500RPM vibrations, etc..
05TL: Fading dash, rattles, vibrations, same tranny whine, stress fractured windshield, and the pisser: Alarm that is a POS (if you don't have an after market alarm, you better get one).

ACS is a joke, the generally act like you are the first person to have the particular problem. I'm sooo done with Acura. I love the look of the products but the quality and customer service sucks.

sftroy
holy shit, you went through two of them????

dude we appreciate the comments. dont let the e-door hit you in the ass....

you want to bash take it somewhere else.....
Old 01-27-2007 | 08:54 AM
Advanced

I love my 06 TL wdp 5at. I do have a paint mismatch issue that kind of bugs me. It has a powerful, smooth engine that pulls hard, but also gets great gas mileage. I have no rattles yet (4000 miles). I Love the stereo but can't find any dvdaudio music anywhere to play in it . does anyone know where to get some? start a thread about it. I will buy another TL if the IS350 does not draw me away.
Old 01-27-2007 | 09:24 AM
Intermediate

I don't know about the rattle but the leather on my 07 is softer and won't crack like the older model. I got 5000 miles on it and dashboard and leather is still brand new, my old 04 leather crack and dashboard fade at 3000 miles on me, no rattle on both of my TL.I change 6 cars in the past 7 yrs BMW, Toyota to lexus ,nissan to Infiniti and acura TL caught my eye twice 04 and now an 07.My brother bought a 07 Lexus GS 350 and let me tell this I can hear the engine nose in the cockpit more on the GS than my TL. I chose the base over Type-s due to the rims(ugly honeycomd style), red interior light(not my taste) ,suspension(not soo luxury).

This 07 TL is the best car I'd own to date!!
Old 01-27-2007 | 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevin 36
... I chose the base over Type-s due to the rims(ugly honeycomd style)...

I'm upgrading the rims with the same brushed aluminum 5 spoke wheels that are available on the regular TL

...red interior light(not my taste)...

I don't mind the red interior lights. I think it has a sporty look

...suspension(not soo luxury).

The sportier the better in my opinion
Old 01-27-2007 | 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

The sportier the better in my opinion

Old 01-27-2007 | 11:09 AM
Drifting

I came from owning an Evo, and rattles are something normal for cars built extremely stiff. also did some testing work on RMR's race Evo and that was basically a metal can with lots of noisy things inside.

jumping from the Evo to the TL is night and day. yes mine has the occasional minor rattle that doenst really bother me (after getting used to the Evo), but its no problem. I do agree that the controls are at least logically placed and make sense, whereas some cars are a bit too busy. the styling is what really sold me (i absolutely love the design of the 3G) and despite being FWD, ive managed to drive it (sometimes) the way i drove the Evo. if there's a will, there's a way. i didnt get the 6-speed because i thought that it was time for a change, and with all the techy toys that come standard, i cant really complain.

Old 01-27-2007 | 11:14 AM
The closet is for wimps

I came from an 04 Accord LX. Quality appears to be the same.. and that's a good thing

No rattles to speak of. I've had it since Thanksgiving and just applied Zaino Z-10 to the seats yesterday.
Old 01-27-2007 | 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Rattles, rattles, rattles, and more rattles. Add the poor leather for the seats and this well could be the first and last Acura I own.
Old 01-27-2007 | 12:13 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by meowCat
The engine is great!

I'm not so sure about the tranny............. afterall, it's made in America. The engine ain't, which is made by thoughful Japanese hands....

my 06's engine was made in the US and my tranny, which broke before 400 miles, was made in Japan. Haha

Other than that I love the car more today than when I first drove it off the dealership. Still can't beleive that I have one, I've wanted one since 2004
Old 01-27-2007 | 03:00 PM
Damn Right, Ima G!

Originally Posted by navicaph
Rattles, rattles, rattles, and more rattles. Add the poor leather for the seats and this well could be the first and last Acura I own.
Yeah man i agree....i actually LOVED it the first 8months i had the car with all the mods and everything now its just there to get me from point A to point B this car isnt worth spending another dollar on...my next car is going to be a destroyer... EVO IX baby!
Old 01-27-2007 | 03:05 PM
01 acura cl

Impressed: no
Satisfied: VERY
Old 01-27-2007 | 04:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pnoi521
my 06's engine was made in the US and my tranny, which broke before 400 miles, was made in Japan. Haha

Other than that I love the car more today than when I first drove it off the dealership. Still can't beleive that I have one, I've wanted one since 2004
Your 16 and have a TL? in 2004 you where like 13? dang, wish I was that lucky when I was 16...
Old 01-28-2007 | 02:34 AM
Advanced

https://acurazine.com/forums/image.p...ine=1164777847

this pic will make u wanna buy a WDP TL (664's TL)

don't spend close to $40k for an Infiniti or a Lexus that you'll get tired of driving in 3 months...like i said b4, $30+ for a technology loaded car is a bargain
Old 01-28-2007 | 07:41 AM
AZ Community Team

why exactly are you here? no offense really. just wondering. do you think if you complain enough on this site Acura will see it and do something about it?
"Now the reason I still post here is to do what others have done before me - enlighten others on the problems we've seen and give advice where I can. I'm really not hear to sing the praises of Infiniti....... I'm trying to give back to this site as others have done for me."

As he/she indicated in his previous posting he is trying to give back to the site.

Quick Reply: Are you guys impressed with the quality of your Acura?