Are you guys impressed with the quality of your Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008 | 05:10 PM
2007 TL TYPE S ASM

I own 3 Acura's, the first being an '07 MDX no navi, had 13,500+ miles with no issues and low maintenance. Traded it in on an '08 with the Tech package, extremely pleased. The 2nd is a '07 TL Type S with 10,700 miles and have really enjoyed this car with no problems. The 3rd is a '09 TSX with Tech package that now has 4,000 miles on it and the integration of the iPod is outstanding in this car. All cars are extremely pleased with and it is nice to have a good dealership to take care of me also.
Old 07-05-2008 | 09:37 PM
Racer

Have had zero problems with my 07 TL navi after 10K miles.
No rattles or squeaks (course I don't probably hear the best in the world)lol
No real tire wear on the factory Mich tires.
It's garaged at night, and under a parking structure at day, so have not seen any signs of interior fading at all.

All in all it's been a great car so far...I had good luck with my 1990 & 2000 Accord as well.
I'm one of those people that some bag on for just driving normally...I see no need for punishing the car. I certainly didn't buy it because I thought it was a fast car, The mid-class luxury for a good price was too much to resist.

Only peeve for me is that it won't read the phone book in my razor cellphone; but that's just a minor deal as all I have to do is change phones to one that is compatabile.

The dealer I purchased from is a bit too far away to make it easy for visits.
The local dealer in the town I live in is a very small place with limited real estate...kinda afraid of where they may park the car if it needs to stay there awhile

My experience with Acura has been good so far, and I see no reason why it should not stay that way for many years....at least I hope so
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:39 AM
Advanced

I got a 04 TL AT and honestly this car is the best of both worlds it is very sporty and luxurious. It looks and feels sporty and I always get compliments from others when driving it.
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:23 AM
Pro

I think the paint sort of sucks because its soft and easily chipped and what not. Also the after market isn't that great either but that is no fault of acura. Other than that I am pleased with the car.

D
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:46 AM
Instructor

Fuel economy was one of the major reasons I bought the TL as I do about 40,000 miles a year. I didn't want a Prius or some wussy subcompact. The TL has performed well in this regard, getting me ~31mpg during my daily commute.
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:54 AM
Safety Car

other than interior rattles its all good. acura/hondas are very prone to interior rattles and it takes many tries to correct them.
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jsong83
lots of rattles, poor paint quality, ridiculously horrible customer service, leather seats are uncomfortable and start to crack after only 3k miles

other than that, its fine
Originally Posted by FriscoNick
Are you sure you bought a TL? I had mine almost 2 years, 15k miles and no one problem.
maybe he bought a infiniti
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:39 PM
Fight On!

other than the rattles I love the car. Hopefully Acura fixes this in the new TL. But my Accord was solid and never sounded like it was going to shake apart.

oh, and the cassette player is so medieval! They might as well have stuck an 8 Track in it.

This is a good transition brand...My next car is a Lexus GS.
Old 07-06-2008 | 01:09 PM
Pro

i'm use to the honda/acura name (hence, thats all i've owned in my 16 year driving career) I love the Tl and all the goodies. I bought my Tl used so i figured it wouldn't act or be new, but some stuff annoys me. My biggest annoyance is the dashboard on the passenger side, you can see a bunch of divest on the top where maybe the clips are at underneath. It looks like shit!! thats really about it except for all the know TSB issues it may or may not have.. I wish the navigation would play dvd-r disks. And if you want to mod your car, i mean even change the headlight bulbs, its not an easy task.. Simple things that should take 5-10 minutes to change out take 30 min to an 1hr or more to do...

The best bang for the buck in my opinion.

I could've went out and bought a new 2008 civic si for 22k with navi and had a new car, but i went ahead and bought a 05 tl 6 speed. I wanted leather, navi, the speed, hids, bluietooth, ect.. stuff the civic didnt
Old 07-06-2008 | 02:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by minkl81
acura/hondas are very prone to interior rattles and it takes many tries to correct them.

Your experience would be unusual based on most quality surveys.

I've had two Acuras and two Hondas over 20 years or so- none had rattles. The '88 Integra had a dash creak that was fixed on the first dealer visit. The '04 Odyssey had one seat squeak that was a loose seat track, also fixed on the first dealer visit. The Civic and the TL didn't have rattles either.
Still have the Integra, Odyssey and TL, too.
Old 07-06-2008 | 03:46 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Will Y.

Your experience would be unusual based on most quality surveys.

I've had two Acuras and two Hondas over 20 years or so- none had rattles. The '88 Integra had a dash creak that was fixed on the first dealer visit. The '04 Odyssey had one seat squeak that was a loose seat track, also fixed on the first dealer visit. The Civic and the TL didn't have rattles either.
Still have the Integra, Odyssey and TL, too.
My car doesn't rattle at all...never has...
Old 07-06-2008 | 03:51 PM
Intermediate

OMG people THERE IS NO PERFECT CAR!!!!! I own a 2005 Acura TL and its very beautiful car! I like the performance and all the stylish things in the car! WHy look for some minor problems! Go buy a bike and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-06-2008 | 10:51 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

We're loyal Honda owners. Between my wife and I we've owned 7 Honda products. I purchased my '06 TL in 9/2006. It now has 33,000 trouble-free miles. The car has been great. I had just one problem with the passenger front seat developing a squeaking noise. The annoyance there was that the dealer seem to be guessing and trying to fix the problem as cheaply as possible. On my third visit I insisted that they be aggressive (and consider replacing the seat) to fix the problem. Two days later I got my car back and it has been perfect since.

Other than the passenger seat issue my car has been a pleasure to drive. Looks great, great power and it's mileage is not too bad on the highway.
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:00 PM
Spinnin them beats

Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
oh, and the cassette player is so medieval! They might as well have stuck an 8 Track in it.

This is a good transition brand...My next car is a Lexus GS.
Which also has a cassette tape player?

Old 07-06-2008 | 11:46 PM
Fight On!

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
Which also has a cassette tape player?

hahah! I forgot about that.

It better not have than sh** for the 2010 model year.

I've ridden in my friends GS and I swear you could sleep in that thing, shoot I'd live in it. Freakin' nice.
Old 07-07-2008 | 12:50 AM
2011 BMW 335i

I bought my 05 TL brand new in October 2005. No mechanical problems, only minor problems I have had are for minor stuff like mirror motors were replaced under warranty, window regulators have been replaced under warranty, OH YEAH my stupid steering wheel lights just went out a couple days ago. I don't mind minor issues like that, because like someone mention earlier, there is NO perfect car, unless you have a Lexus...lol jk. For some reason tho, I never hear complaints about those cars. Ehh, I dont care I still love my 3G TL and I would by one again, again and again
Old 07-07-2008 | 12:56 AM
East Coast Crew

I hate the paint on my TSX. My front bumper is full of nicks and chips.
Old 07-07-2008 | 03:23 AM
3rd Gear

I am kind of disappointed with the quality of mine. My 2006 Tl has ben in the shop with problems so far on 7 different occasions, twice needing to be towed. Next car will definitely not be an acura it will be of german decent
Old 07-07-2008 | 06:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moe9121
I am kind of disappointed with the quality of mine. My 2006 Tl has ben in the shop with problems so far on 7 different occasions, twice needing to be towed. Next car will definitely not be an acura it will be of german decent

I went from a TL to a audi. What a difference... I know that while they can have their issues as well, I have logged 40,000 miles and never made a trip to the dealer (fingers crossed) for some issue.
Old 07-07-2008 | 07:10 AM
Intermediate

I have a 2008 base model TL with 4000 miles on it and so far I'm happy with the way the car is driving. My only real complaint, which is minor, is that I wish the paint on the front bumper was a little thicker to help against rock chips. Granted it's hard to stop a rock chip when ur driving 80mph and ur following a bunch of construction dump trucks that LOVE to drop little rocks here and there. I'm not too crazy about putting a front bumper bra, nor do I want to install a clear bra....

my $0.02

For the latest in imported video games and anime, visit
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-5mke.html
Old 07-07-2008 | 07:32 AM
Advanced

3 months, flawless so far. Having a cassette player was a huge bonus for me as I've got tons of stuff from the old days. Burning to CD is a PITA.
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:27 AM
Advanced

I've had my 08 TL-S for 2000 miles now. I agree that the paint on the front bumper needs to be thicker. I am dissapointed that in only 2000 miles have ha so many chips up front. Also I have 3 or 4 rattles around the dash. No issues with the rear struts though, and besides those 2 complaints the car is perfect. I love it and I am hopeful the dealer can straighten out the rattles. Service from the dealer has been nothing but top notch so far.
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:38 AM
Instructor

I'm extremely happy with my 06 TL (30k miles) with NO problems whatsoever, and I feel that I got all the luxury I paid for. No rattles, leather problems, etc. to speak of. No it's not an $80k Mercedes so sure the leather isn't quite up to that standard, but I think I got a very balanced product for the price.
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:47 AM
Spinnin them beats

Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
hahah! I forgot about that.

It better not have than sh** for the 2010 model year.

I've ridden in my friends GS and I swear you could sleep in that thing, shoot I'd live in it. Freakin' nice.
<- dad had an LX470. could sleep through a drive by

ha but anyway... i finally bought my tl from pops and ive always loved it. nothing really has been a problem other than the recalls which usually get fixed.

ONE QUALITY PROBLEM IMO. damn butt prints on the leather... its sooooo damn loose now on the 04s. but i can live with it
Old 07-07-2008 | 08:54 AM
Instructor

Ok, I have an 07 TLS and the quality is horrible for a car of this money

1) Navi system on the fritz 3 times - first they reset, second time they replaced and third time they updated the program
2) Rear spoiler has peeled of twice
3) numerous interior rattles - Drivers vent, center speaker, center compartment
4) Rear suspension sucks. Struts replaced twice, links replaced twice. Rear still making noise.
5) 6MT rebuilt for 3rd gear problem.

For a $37K these problems should not exist. Had an o6 that they took back because the car burnt antifreeze and they could not find the problem after 6 repair attempts.

Should have bought something else.
Old 07-07-2008 | 09:29 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

The only two complaints I have with my 07 TL-S so far are the fact that the leather is prematurely wrinkling and there is sometimes a rear deck rattle if I listen to a song that has a certain frequency of bass. Other than that, knock on wood, the car has been trouble free so far Very happy with the purchase. Oh, and mine already has 46k miles on it (hah) so it's had time to work out the bugs!
Old 07-07-2008 | 10:23 AM
ADVANCE.

Originally Posted by M3 350Z
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 2007 TL Type-S and I've never owned an Acura before. I know they have a good reputation but I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on how pleased/displeased you are with the quality of your TL's. Thanks
I have a '07 TL-S and I love it bro. Best car EVER! I just lowered it 1.2in.and slapped a CAI in it... All good bro! It's my weekend car. To me, its a perfect car....PEACE!
Old 07-07-2008 | 10:43 AM
Team Owner

#1 complaint is the paint. Mine looks like a 20 year old car the way the paint is chipping.
#2 is it's appetite for octane. We haven't figured out if it's the gas or the car but pretty sure it's not the gas that's causing the pinging.
#3 is the leather.

Road/wind noise is about the same as the IS350 with sport suspension.

I had a couple rattles that fixed themselves somehow.

I have a deck rattle but I also have 2-12" subs with 1,000 watts and it doesn't rattle at normal volumes so I can't say that's a problem with the car.

It's been super reliable at 64,000 miles. I'm still happy with my purchase and I would probably get another but next time it will be a lease due to the paint and leather issues. I'm scared to think what it's going to look like in another few years.
Old 07-07-2008 | 09:56 PM
Advanced

I've had my 07 TL-S for about 1.5 years. Absolutely love it.
Never have heard any real rattles that others on the forum complain about. No problems at all, but just a minor annoyance: the leather quality. Now I admit I haven't been conditioning the leather like I should, but the seats are showing significant wrinkling. Heck, my BIL has a mini-van which is about 8 years older with leather seats and the leather looks much better.

I could probably agree with the paint issues, but I had a clear bra put on right after I got it, and no regrets.

I'd buy it again--it's pure pleasure to drive, has wonderful features, attractive styling, love the XM, everyone wants to ride in it (or drive it and I won't let them).
Old 07-07-2008 | 11:15 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

I have an 01' MDX. I haven't gotten my TL yet but soon. I haven't had any out of the ordinary problems with the MDX and I recommend an Acura vehicle to anyone.
Old 07-22-2008 | 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

Owner of a 07 TL for one year

I like my TL, loved my Lexus ES300 more for the ride and luxury feel. The leather seats on the TL are inferior to what I had + the car rides lower so you feel every bump on the road. The stereo system and blue tooth are the perks of this car both work flawlessly.

My biggest gripe is the air conditioning. It's fine until the outside temperature reaches 90 and above. It simply does not cool down quickly for short around town drives 10 miles or less. I took it back to the dealer for a check up, I actually felt it did not work. He insisted it worked properly.

I took out an 08' TL loaner for the day. At lunch time I took the car for a spin and found the a/c in the newer model was also terrible. I sat with the mechanic who told me it was the design of the system versus any actual defect. He admitted most other vehicles have a superior system to what they offer.

The maintenance trip was not a complete waste since he told me it was perfectly okay to use regular gasoline in my tank. I've been doing this for the past 6 weeks and have not noticed one bit of difference in performance or mileage.

So for now I just grin and bear the heat waves we've been having.
Old 07-22-2008 | 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Terry61
I like my TL, loved my Lexus ES300 more for the ride and luxury feel. The leather seats on the TL are inferior to what I had + the car rides lower so you feel every bump on the road. The stereo system and blue tooth are the perks of this car both work flawlessly.

My biggest gripe is the air conditioning. It's fine until the outside temperature reaches 90 and above. It simply does not cool down quickly for short around town drives 10 miles or less. I took it back to the dealer for a check up, I actually felt it did not work. He insisted it worked properly.

I took out an 08' TL loaner for the day. At lunch time I took the car for a spin and found the a/c in the newer model was also terrible. I sat with the mechanic who told me it was the design of the system versus any actual defect. He admitted most other vehicles have a superior system to what they offer.

The maintenance trip was not a complete waste since he told me it was perfectly okay to use regular gasoline in my tank. I've been doing this for the past 6 weeks and have not noticed one bit of difference in performance or mileage.

So for now I just grin and bear the heat waves we've been having.
Hmm, I live in Houston and have no complaints about the AC in my car. It gets fairly fast.. to expect any system to go from 150 degrees to 70 degrees in a couple of minutes is a lot to ask. My F-150 takes a bit longer to cool off.

I have have my TL for 3 months.. love it!
Old 07-22-2008 | 07:14 PM
Cruisin'

i just bought a WDP 07 TL-S 6MT 3 weeks ago. although the car is currently in the shop for some problems (3rd gear synchro/6th gear-reverse issues, back panels on both seats loose, rattle on driver door). Bell Acura over here in AZ is gladly fixing everything. i noticed these problems within the first 3 days of buying the car and during this whole time it STILL DROVE LIKE A DREAM lol. basically im saying that it is a wonderful car! the factory brake pads wear out fast though...i'll be switching them out with hawk ceramics as soon as i get it back.
Old 07-22-2008 | 09:24 PM
Your garage

I love my car, but it makes lots of weird interior noises. I mean lots.