Are you guys impressed with the quality of your Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007 | 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Are you guys impressed with the quality of your Acura?

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 2007 TL Type-S and I've never owned an Acura before. I know they have a good reputation but I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on how pleased/displeased you are with the quality of your TL's. Thanks
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by M3 350Z
Hey guys. I'm in the market for a 2007 TL Type-S and I've never owned an Acura before. I know they have a good reputation but I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on how pleased/displeased you are with the quality of your TL's. Thanks
I bought my TL in 05 and have had no problems with the engine, no wind noise (I think that was a problem in the 04). I love the exterior style, very sporty. The interior is fantasitc. Very roomy and comfy seats. The dvd sound system is probably the best in the world - Don't forget though, to get the great sound you have to use dvd's not just cd's.

I don't know about the S however. It probably has a stiffer suspension than my TL, and it definately has more hp. I would highly recommend the TL, a very hot car indeed.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:22 PM
Racer

lots of rattles, poor paint quality, ridiculously horrible customer service, leather seats are uncomfortable and start to crack after only 3k miles

other than that, its fine
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Hmm, doesn't sound so fun jsong.

Plust I've been reading in the "problem's and fixes" section that almost all the new Type-S owners are having a horrible rattling noise coming from defective rear struts
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:41 PM
Instructor

i am overall happy with the car, but as others have mentioned, the material quality may not match other import luxury cars, eg. leather seat quality, dashboard and plastic interior trim. Some rattlings but I am still not able to pin point exactly where it is coming from.

I just think it is rare to find a car that is perfect. Problems vary, and it really depends on what your tolerance level is.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jsong83
lots of rattles, poor paint quality, ridiculously horrible customer service, leather seats are uncomfortable and start to crack after only 3k miles

Are you sure you bought a TL? I had mine almost 2 years, 15k miles and no one problem.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:45 PM
nnInn

Simple answer===YES
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M3 350Z
Hmm, doesn't sound so fun jsong.

Plust I've been reading in the "problem's and fixes" section that almost all the new Type-S owners are having a horrible rattling noise coming from defective rear struts
You have to realize that forums like this brings out the naysayers and complainers of the smallest little detail that they can find fault in.

The Acura TL Type S is a very nice car and every bit the competitor with any car brand at or near this price point. It has a great technology platform for all of it's systems and the styling is current and appealing (at least to my eye).

I have the pleasure of owning an O7 TL Type S and there are no rattles, except in the other drivers as they walk by my TLS in the parking lot or as I drive by them on the road.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:48 PM
Team SSM

Love the car...only thing is that 1500rpm vibration.......have had no time to bring the car in. Other than that....love my car=)
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:50 PM
Instructor

TL def has poor paint quality and the dealer service is THE WORST service ever experienced from any car dealer. Leather is definitely not quality leather. The car does have a certain design to it that no other manufacturer has duplicated. It does come "fully equiped" where most of the standard features on a TL are options on a BMW. For the price I shoulda gone for the new Infinit G or put down alittle more for the BMW 335. However, I like the style and lines of the TL so i'll deal with the negatives to have a really sharp looking car.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:54 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I have an '05 and love it. The only problem is rattles here and there and I've fixed a good many of them myself. The TL is fun to drive and I still get compliments on it from those who ride in it for the first time.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:54 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Parents are completely satisfied with their '00 TL, and I am completely satisfied with my '04. Customer service satisfaction is going to depend on your dealership (from things I've read here); that said, I've only experienced excellent customer service, from pre-purchase to after purchase service/maintenance over the last two and a half years.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:56 PM
Safety Car

I came from a Infiniti G35 and I love my TL. Comfortable, well built, excellent seats, fit and finish, paint is also excellent. Customer services is worlds better than Infiniti.

I had two rattles and they were fixed.
Air Vice Marshal

I was VERY happy - right up until yesterday morning when it wouldn't start. I parked it Friday night and the following Thursday morning the battery was stone cold dead. Nothing was left on. The dealer checked it out this morning, said the battery and charging system pass all their tests and the current draw was very low. The battery was on the low end of the good range, so they replaced it as a dealer courtesy item. Now I get to worry every time I park it for a few days, wondering if it will start.

The car had exactly 2,500 miles when the battery died. No way it should drain completely in five days.

I purchased my '06 in August and currently have almost 9,000 miles on it. I continue to enjoy driving this car and have had no complaints.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Basit06TL
TL def has poor paint quality and the dealer service is THE WORST service ever experienced from any car dealer. Leather is definitely not quality leather. The car does have a certain design to it that no other manufacturer has duplicated. It does come "fully equiped" where most of the standard features on a TL are options on a BMW. For the price I shoulda gone for the new Infinit G or put down alittle more for the BMW 335. However, I like the style and lines of the TL so i'll deal with the negatives to have a really sharp looking car.
You haven't seen poor quality till you get into a G35. I had two and will not again.

The TL is very good quality. Much better paint than Infiniti.
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

I have an 05 and think the quality of my TL is up to par w/ a 35k-40k car. I had a problem with my battery dying on me but you can't blame Acura for a bad batch of batteries. Acura replaced the battery for free and off I went. I can see how some complain about the leather. I condition my driver's seat once a month and it still looks new. My 05 also has a faded looking dash but that was easily fixed as well. Overall, I am completely satisifed with my TL and its quality.
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:31 PM
Go TL it on the mountain!

I bought my TL in December, and I love it. I had a BMW 328i before that. I do wish that it was AWD, and I wish it had Navi and AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS. But it is still a great car. I love the performance (I had my 328 modded to hell and still couldn't touch the stock TL) and the styling. The bluetooth is such an invaluable tool in my line of work. The seats and paint do leave A LOT to be desired, but they haven't been trouble. The seats are a bit firm and uncomfortable compared to my bimmer, and they seem to be a step down from the 2G tl's. My brother in law has an '00 TL and his seats are better than mine. No cracking yet though. The paint is easily chipped by stones, but I guess that is true of all cars. I do not like how my car (WDP) does seem to have some paint mis-match. That stuff shouldnt happen.
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by FriscoNick
Are you sure you bought a TL? I had mine almost 2 years, 15k miles and no one problem.
uhh, yea i bought a TL. what kind of person doesnt know what car he bought?

Originally Posted by chuckh
You have to realize that forums like this brings out the naysayers and complainers of the smallest little detail that they can find fault in.

The Acura TL Type S is a very nice car and every bit the competitor with any car brand at or near this price point. It has a great technology platform for all of it's systems and the styling is current and appealing (at least to my eye).

I have the pleasure of owning an O7 TL Type S and there are no rattles, except in the other drivers as they walk by my TLS in the parking lot or as I drive by them on the road.
just because your tl doesnt have any problems doesnt mean others dont have problems with their tl. i doubt that others on this forum will say bad customer service, poor paint quality, and rattles are "little details" for a 34k car.

i can handle the poor paint job and the rattles because i like to listen to my music loud and the loud music drowns out the rattles BUT not when the rattle is from the rear deck subwoofer which is a part of the music system.

its amazing how oblivious people are and confined to their own little world where they believe that just because they dont have problems with their TL, that others won't either.

im not bashing my TL but im just pointing out some problems that i have encountered since purchasing it 6 months ago. i still love it but wish these minor changes could be made.
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:52 PM
Intermediate

I got a 06 in May, 06, the quality is very good in the interior, but I recently have problems with the 3rd gear so i might bring it in to see what the dealer would do, otherwise i think is a very solid, well built car.
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

I have had my car for exactly a week now. I have to say that I absolutely love it. I am super anal and pickey with anything I buy, and so far my TL has exceeded my expectations. I was always a fan of the TL. However, I was originally looking at a BMW. Although, the Bimmer's are great, I couldn't see spending all that extra money. The TL comes with everything standard. The styling is freakin sweet as well. Just a great car...
Old 01-26-2007 | 01:58 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

1-year and 3 months of ownership and still love it!

Last night we went to the Motor Trend Auto Show and once again I walked away feeling very good about purchasing my TL in 11/2005.

I like to sit in all of the cars - ranging from Hyundai (for a good chuckle) to Mazda to Cadillac to Jag, BMW, Lexus, MB - I like sitting in them all. And I always make sure to go to Acura last so I have a solid comparison. At the end of my visit, there was no other vehicle that (IMO) had a better cockpit than Acura. The layout (IMO) compares to none other, really; it's perfectly fit for me.
Although - I can't believe (as an avid Honda/Acura lover) that I must admit...the Lexus IS350 could possibly sway me to the "otherside" at some point; that is one nice looking machine!

I have had my TL now for one year and three months - 11,700 miles - and absolutely NO problems <<knock on wood>>. Actually every Honda I've owned, even dating back to my first used del Sol - I never had problems with any of them. They're pretty solid IMO.

However, I have had a "glitch" so-to-speak, which I have read others complain about and that is one day - out of the blue - I am leaving a CVS, get in my car, and the sucker wouldn't start at first. I was tripping! But, it turned over the next try and never had any issues since. Literally, that is the only "glitch" that I've had.
Old 01-26-2007 | 02:00 PM
2007 NBP TL

I'm pretty impressed so far. Only had it a few weeks, but love the way it handles. still figuring out the bells and whistles though.

being someone who always buys the latest and greatest for the current year, i am happy with this choice over other cars i looked at
Old 01-26-2007 | 02:24 PM
Racer

i do enjoy...best bang for the buck IMO
Old 01-26-2007 | 02:27 PM
Intermediate

uhh, yea i bought a TL. what kind of person doesnt know what car he bought?

just because your tl doesnt have any problems doesnt mean others dont have problems with their tl. i doubt that others on this forum will say bad customer service, poor paint quality, and rattles are "little details" for a 34k car.

i can handle the poor paint job and the rattles because i like to listen to my music loud and the loud music drowns out the rattles BUT not when the rattle is from the rear deck subwoofer which is a part of the music system.

its amazing how oblivious people are and confined to their own little world where they believe that just because they dont have problems with their TL, that others won't either.
I didn't say that my TLS didn't have some "character", but overall the execution of the TLS is excellent. Kudos to Acura.

Unbeknowst to you - this isn't my first new car nor is it the most expensive car I've owned. For you it may be and the issues you raise may be causing you some real angst due to your frame of reference.

As you gain some experience, you'll find out that other manufacturers of even more expensive automobiles have their design, manufacturing and service issues also.

Am I impressed with the quality of my Acura TLS? Yes - for it's current price point it offers to me a very real set of "value advantages" compared to other new cars available on the market today.
Old 01-26-2007 | 02:28 PM
Racer

After 30K miles in 18 months, ZERO Problems!

Great car
Old 01-26-2007 | 02:35 PM
Just enjoying the ride!

i have an 06 and love it except for the RATTLES!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2007 | 03:01 PM
Go Gators!

I have NBP 07' type s, i love it so nice, only problem is one small ratttle but other than that the car is sharp and the accessories are awesome. Car can fly on the freeway. Recommend it!
Old 01-26-2007 | 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

I have an 05. Love the car. I come from a Honda/Acura family. When people praise Hondas it's not necessarily that it is free of any imperfections but at close to 200K miles the car is still running. I've had my car for 2yrs and 17K miles later, I haven't taken it into to the dealer apart for scheduled maintenance and oil/filter changes. It does however have intermittent maddening rattles.
Old 01-26-2007 | 03:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csilano
i have an 06 and love it except for the RATTLES!!!!!!!

I second this sentiment
Old 01-26-2007 | 03:36 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

I know this won't be a cure all for the rattles, but in my experience it stops if you open the upper center console compartment (the one in front of the shifter, not the armrest).

If your subwoofer rattles, take it to the dealer! Speakers are covered under the warranty, they'll give you a new one.
Old 01-26-2007 | 04:38 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

I love it more today than the day I bought it. I keep trying to tell myself it's just a car and it's silly to like it so much.

Yeah, sure, it's had a few rattles. I just found them and fixed them. Most of the time it was contents in the trunk, glove box or door pockets making the noise anyway
Old 01-26-2007 | 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Our family has had Acura's since the late 80's and have been impressed with the quality compared to others. Mom still drives a Legend and I had a 1990 Integra GS until it died last October. It served me well for 16 yrs! It dying was the best thing since it gave me the chance to look at new cars!

I'm partial to Acura but after looking at the TL, IS and G, I was the most pleased with the quality/value of the TL compared to the other two. I haven't regretted the decision at all!

Old 01-26-2007 | 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I've been happy since day 1!
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:06 PM
Instructor

I can't complain, I owned an 06 TL and now an 07 TL-S, and I like everything about it. Yeah people complain about the rattles, but so far after 4500 miles mine hasn't started and
even if it does the way I look at it is, what car doesn't develop some type of rattle over time.
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
You haven't seen poor quality till you get into a G35. I had two and will not again.

The TL is very good quality. Much better paint than Infiniti.
I beg to differ.
I think the quality of my G35 is much better than my TL. The G35's leather is much softer, and is not developing cracks and/or buttprints like our TL's... The dash is also of uniform color, unlike our TL.

Sure the interior might "seem cheap" to some, tho I'd point you to my Pontiac if you want to see what a cheap interior looks like... But at least it's put together well... Only the rear-view mirror buzzes every now and then.

Our TL also rattles... But I can live with that... However, the headliner in our TL keeps falling down The headliner around the sunroof is only held up with velcro... This piece keeps falling down... That is just a retarded design in my opinion. Even the headliner in my two Pontiac hasn't falled down after 130,000+ miles, and our TL doesn't even have 30,000 miles yet.
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:31 PM
Instructor

Quality sucks and I've moved on to Infiniti. I've owned 3 Honda Accord V6's and 2 3GTLs...

04TL: LEMON - acura bought it back. Lots of rattles, crappy tires, vibrations, tranny problems, 1500RPM vibrations, etc..
05TL: Fading dash, rattles, vibrations, same tranny whine, stress fractured windshield, and the pisser: Alarm that is a POS (if you don't have an after market alarm, you better get one).

ACS is a joke, the generally act like you are the first person to have the particular problem. I'm sooo done with Acura. I love the look of the products but the quality and customer service sucks.

sftroy
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:33 PM
Engineer

all I gotta say is all Canadian TLs are WAY over priced for the quality of Honda parts. If I had another chance, I'd buy one from the States.
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007
I beg to differ.
I think the quality of my G35 is much better than my TL. The G35's leather is much softer, and is not developing cracks and/or buttprints like our TL's... The dash is also of uniform color, unlike our TL.

Sure the interior might "seem cheap" to some, tho I'd point you to my Pontiac if you want to see what a cheap interior looks like... But at least it's put together well... Only the rear-view mirror buzzes every now and then.

Our TL also rattles... But I can live with that... However, the headliner in our TL keeps falling down The headliner around the sunroof is only held up with velcro... This piece keeps falling down... That is just a retarded design in my opinion. Even the headliner in my two Pontiac hasn't falled down after 130,000+ miles, and our TL doesn't even have 30,000 miles yet.

I have an 07 G35 (traded in the POS 05 TL) - it kicks ass over the TL from a quality perspective so far. I'm soooo much happier not having to drive my vibrating, whining, dash-fading, rattling TL to work every day. So many people have said that they like the G over the TL once I've taken them for a ride.
Old 01-26-2007 | 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

I second that.

Quick Reply: Are you guys impressed with the quality of your Acura?