Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yakima Roof Rack Available Now

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yakima Roof Rack Available Now

After a long wait, Yakima has finally completed the fit for the 3rd generation TL's. Up until now, you had to go with a Thule aero rack.

The Yakima rack uses Q-towers with the following fit clips:

Front Clips: Q116
Front Dimensions: M1=41-1/8", M2= 11"

Back Clips: Q112
Back Dimensions: M3= 40-3/8", M4=24"

Explanations for the M1-M4 dimension can be found on the clip instruction sheets at Yakima.com

If you go to Yakima.com, the fit selector will show the clips required. However, the installation instructions do not show the specific dimensions yet for the TL. You need to copy them from this post or call Yakima (during business hours) for the specific dimensions.

There are some load restrictions, but you can mount bikes, boats, and luggage carriers that meet the restrictions. Go to http://www.yakima.com for the fit details.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by mmkacura
After a long wait, Yakima has finally completed the fit for the 3rd generation TL's. Up until now, you had to go with a Thule aero rack.

The Yakima rack uses Q-towers with the following fit clips:

Explanations for the M1-M4 dimension can be found on the clip instruction sheets at Yakima.com

If you go to Yakima.com, the fit selector will show the clips required. However, the installation instructions do not show the specific dimensions yet for the TL. You need to copy them from this post or call Yakima (during business hours) for the specific dimensions.

There are some load restrictions, but you can mount bikes, boats, and luggage carriers that meet the restrictions. Go to http://www.yakima.com for the fit details.
If anyone is getting the bike rack, please pm me. Perhaps we could get a group rate. I am interested in getting one. thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
they list cost for all of this?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
6th Gear

any idea how this will compare from a price/performance perspective with the Thule? I'm going to need a bike rack for my 04 TL very soon as well...

Thanks!
Randy
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
One on the right for me

The only difference I know of between the two rack brands has to do with the load bars. Thule uses square bars, yakima uses round ones. I assume the prices are pretty much the same.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:28 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by subinf
The only difference I know of between the two rack brands has to do with the load bars. Thule uses square bars, yakima uses round ones. I assume the prices are pretty much the same.
I can go with Thule, how much are they for our 3G TL?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
One on the right for me

Here are the part numbers I posted back in 2005. I doubt they have changed, though I'm sure the prices have gone up (I know the load bars have gone up)

2004 Acura TL Thule rack part numbers
Feet: 400xt (what mounts up with the fit kit to go on the roof) 129.00 dollars
Fit Kit: 2138 (designed specifically for the 3rd gen TL) 50.00 dollars
SRA: 477 (short roof adapter, rec. for more bar space) 105.00 dollars
Bars: LB50 (the load bars) 50.00 dollars

You can get away with not using the SRA if you want to save money but you are limited to a max. bar spread of 16 inches, whereas if you use the SRA the bar spread is increased to 26 inches. It all depends on what you plan on carrying.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
they list cost for all of this?

Looks like 247 for the roof package when I selected Acura TL 06.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
That looks like the price just for the base rack system. You will still need something to mount your gear to.

I did a quote for a snow package: 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards
The top end LiftTicket 6 package is going for $423.94

Q Towers
Part # 8000124 4 locks $134.99
48" Crossbar
Part # 8000408 0 locks $53.99
Q116 Clips
Part # 8000716 0 locks $28.99
Q112 Clips
Part # 8000712 0 locks $28.99

LiftTicket 6
Part # 8003063 2 locks $119.99
Your selected products require 6 lock cores.
SKS Lock Core Pack
Part #8007206 6 locks $56.99

More info at the manufacture's website. Don't think thats s/h yet.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
One on the right for me

unless you can find it much cheaper online i'd buy from your local supplier-save on shipping. i cant say for yakima but i know thule got really pissed at their suppliers when they put their stuff on sale...similiar to what oakley did with their sun glasses.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 PM
8th Gear

Yakima Pics

Here are some pics for those interested.
Had the Yakima previously on an Audi, thanks for info on the clips.

-full side

-clip/tower detail (dirt not included in msrp )

-across
Old 04-30-2006, 03:24 PM
The Master Doctor

How much weight

wonder how much weight you could put on this assembly - I mean some serious weight. I am plannin on moving a queen size mattress and box spring. I mean I know I am not supposed to move crazy stuff like this on this car but I mean I only have one $45k car and I didn't want to pay 2k for a rental truck when all of my stuff put together doesn't cost as much.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:53 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Dr.P
wonder how much weight you could put on this assembly - I mean some serious weight. I am plannin on moving a queen size mattress and box spring. I mean I know I am not supposed to move crazy stuff like this on this car but I mean I only have one $45k car and I didn't want to pay 2k for a rental truck when all of my stuff put together doesn't cost as much.
per www.yakima.com...

probably would want 'load stops'... but, they're gonna be alot smaller than a mattress ?!?

Fit Notes:
- Canoes must be 14’ or less on this application.
- Caution! Check clips after installing. Grab each clip and try to pull them hard away from your vehicle. If the clip moves tighten the adjustment post. If the clip still moves, recheck your measurements between the towers and adjust if necessary. Check clip again.
- Kayaks must be carried with HullyRollers, LandShark, Mako saddles, HullRaiser on this application.
- Maximum allowable weight load is 125 lbs.
- Surf/Sailboard length limited to 10’ or less on this application.
- Weight Limit: 125
- When open, sunroof may interfere with some accessories
Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
If you look up the fit for a 2004 honda civic SI you can make those work also, I have been using that one without the extender bars for several years now with excellent results.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:30 PM
The Master Doctor

Originally Posted by msbolder
per www.yakima.com...

Maximum allowable weight load is 125 lbs.
yeah plus I am sure if the mattress could encounter the constant wind resistance for about 1000 miles at 85 mph. It might rip the rack of the car. Maybe I'll just rid of the mattress and not put my baby in harms way
Old 05-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

msbolder: thanks for the pics! Some questions for you:
1) What package do you have?
2) How difficult is it to mount the rack? Does it "feel" sturdy?
3) How safe is it to mount and unmount? Any paint scratches?
4) Did you buy it locally or through the website?

I'm interested in something for my snowboard gear.. but then again, I'm on the fence about bringing my baby to the mountains.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by datmrman
I'm interested in something for my snowboard gear.. but then again, I'm on the fence about bringing my baby to the mountains.
LOL. I'm SO in the same dilemma, especialy this year with all those snow at Mammoth and local mountain. Every year, I keep going back and forth. Funny thing is that everytime I always see an Audi A4 with snowboard rack then I ask myself how come there isn't any TL with rack on. (I have not seen one in person).

TL owner just baby their car too much? TL owner aren't into outdoor sport? TL owner just have a lot of friends drive SUV or owned 2nd car? My wife wants to get an used SUV this year, so I won't have to ponder this anymore.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah plus I am sure if the mattress could encounter the constant wind resistance for about 1000 miles at 85 mph. It might rip the rack of the car. Maybe I'll just rid of the mattress and not put my baby in harms way
Definitely NOT WORTH the risk..
Get rid of the mattres at this instance
BTW, why would you spend 2k for a rental truck, where are you moving to ?!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Racer

The roof weight limit is probably due to car handling limits. I have a Yakama rack for another car and I swear it could support the weight of the car in compression or tension. I guy at work flipped a car end over end and the roof rack (either Yakama or Thule - I don't remember which) came out fine. The bicycle and what was left of the car were another story.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:51 PM
The Master Doctor

Originally Posted by waacow
Definitely NOT WORTH the risk..
Get rid of the mattres at this instance
BTW, why would you spend 2k for a rental truck, where are you moving to ?!
well u know 2 k including everything, gas + truck rental etc. Moving from Flag, AZ to Sac, CA about a 1000 mile move. Yeah maybe I'll probably just get me a new sleeper
Old 05-02-2006, 08:04 PM
One on the right for me

I think the weight limit is dependent on the load bars but I've also heard of people rolling their cars and having the rack remain attatched. I'm more inclined to believe that they low ball the weight in order to keep people from stacking 500 pounds of crap on their car and having it lose control on the highway.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

well u know 2 k including everything, gas + truck rental etc. Moving from Flag, AZ to Sac, CA about a 1000 mile move. Yeah maybe I'll probably just get me a new sleeper
sorry to highjack the thread, but that doesn't seem bad. My dad paid $5000 to move his wine (about 3000+ bottles) from Jersey to Las Vegas. I think he's suffering from a mid-life crisis.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
8th Gear

More Yakima info

1) What package do you have?
pretty much the basics:
Q Towers
48" Crossbars
Q116 Clips
Q112 Clips
Lock Cores

Have a couple different bike attachments (old models), 4pr ski attach, want to do the kayak deal...but, now paying for car instead of for fun (j/k)

I actually am using a 38" fairing... For Acura, looks like they suggest 44"
I had my setup on an Audi before... so, my gear is all ~8 years used
All I had to do was get new clips for the fit on this car. $56

cons:
Fairing and placement over the sunroof are taking me some time to get used to on the TL
Haven't determined that I like it, and may look into the Thule's fit instead

Basically, if you look at the pics, you can see how close the crossbars are to one-another. The front crossbar sits just about 3/4 back of the sunroof area. That makes the fairing sit back a long way from the windshield (although maybe partly because I have the wrong fairing)...
Thing is, I was afraid to try to use the sunroof with that fairing sitting on it, clamped to the bars and all, but, actually, closed my eyes and tried it, and you can do the tilt or the open... (open straight up to your bike however, with a gap between the front of the sunroof and the fairing... so goes aerodynamics)

On the Audi, the rack sits further forward, closer to the windshield, and fairing angle is essentially an extension up from the windshield angle. I can see on the TL body styling that placement near the front of the front doors wouldnt be real feasible, angle on the door frame isnt flat enough to clip there...

Here are more pix.... background is an Audi with a Thule that sits like this rack did on my A4

2) How difficult is it to mount the rack? Does it "feel" sturdy?
piece of cake... toughest part is just measuring and getting the caps on the end of the crossbars... (honestly, was harder changing the interior dome lights)
sturdy... unbelieveably so... see other posts re: crashing car but rack survives

3) How safe is it to mount and unmount? Any paint scratches?
Have never had a scratch... on the bottom of the towers, you have a pad that is the 'foot' that rests on the car... this goes above the doors and below the 'rain gutter' trim

The clip part comes with a pad sticker that you put over the coated metal. That part goes inside your door... never had any sign on either car that it was there.
From the pic, imagine the circle part at the top of your door and the angled part inside your door jam.

4) Did you buy it locally or through the website?
locally at REI for me

Moosejaw.com is a good supplier on the web, several others online too, I didnt want to wait for delivery

Mountains are a BLAST in this car.... haven't done any true winter driving (just bought in Apr) and I gave up AWD when changed from the Audi, so, time will tell.
But, has been fantastic on the sightseeing and tours I've taken up the hill so far!
fun fun fun!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Safety Car

msbolder: Thanks so much for the excellent follow-up!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:01 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
sorry to highjack the thread, but that doesn't seem bad. My dad paid $5000 to move his wine (about 3000+ bottles) from Jersey to Las Vegas. I think he's suffering from a mid-life crisis.

Wine is a pain in the ass to ship/move though. There are 8 million more things you have to think about when moving wine than moving a bed and some clothes. 5K is a lot of freaking cash though, that sounds like one hell of a collection.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 AM
6th Gear

Anyone have pics of Thule rack?

Hey Guys,

GREAT write up! I need to do something VERY soon or I won't be mountain biking nearly enough this year. Does anyone have any pics of the Thule system on a 3G TL? I was kinda hoping the fit over the sunroof might be more forward of the sunroof than the Yakima. Also, which of the bike attachements do you guys recommend? I've never owned one of these racks before....

Thanks very much!
Randy

04 TL Anthracite/auto/Nav
Kawasaki Ninja ZX11
Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
One on the right for me

^ - 'thegabrielles' had a pic up with their Thule rack on the TL but I dont know what happened to it. You can PM them and see if they can send it to you, although last log on date was November of 05.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 PM
8th Gear

Thule v. Yak Fit

Ok here goes... did some more research on this... more pics too

In the dimension directions at the initial post in this thread... indicates
M2 is the Yak measure for the Front of the Front Tower from the top of the windshield... e.g., the front of the front tower should be 11" from the windshield

The M4 measurement is basically the space between the crossbars (front to back)... so the rear crossbar sits 24" from the front bar

The 11" measure on the front which is places the front crossbar directly over the sunroof (as you'll see below, looks as though I actually need to move mine forward about 2-3" more, so it will be in the middle of the sunroof instead of 3/4 way back)

another view

[ps, yes, it is actually raining at the same time the sun is shining as I'm taking more dumb pics of roof racks... ]

Now... for Thule...

2 options are listed as fit kits specific to 3GTL... a 2138 Fit Kit for both.... one involves a "Short Roof Adapter" aka SRA477, one without the adapter

go to Thuleracks.com to look at the specifics and pricing.

Here are the Thule measurements from the 2138 Instructions (avail at their site):

a) Thule 2138 without the SRA:

...notice that the front measure is the same as Yak... 11" from the windshield Also, on this one, the rear crossbar is 16" from the front one... so, these are VERY close together... and you get the warning box there about not putting long loads on this... and it mentions 'bike' in that warning

b) Thule 2138 with the SRA:

Look familiar? our 11" on the front again...this one actually results in a third clip on each side of the car... distance from front bar to the middle support clip is 16", then an additional 10" to the rear crossbar... so a total of 26" span (vs. Yak's 24"), but 3 clips.

I did notice that the max load on Thule says 75Kg (165 lbs) Also noticed that the suggested crossbar length (width of the car) on Thule is 50" compared with Yak's suggested 48"

All in all, both are great products, best bet is to look at them in person, or look at other cars and determine what you prefer.

One thing for certain, all of them spoil the beatiful styling of the TL...

Thanks for putting up with these long, long posts
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 PM
6th Gear

Thanks VERY much for this! It helps me a TON! I'll probably go with the Yakima as I save the $$$ cuz I don't have to buy the SRA and I don't need to add the 3rd clip to the car!

This is GREAT information!

Thanks again!
-Randy
Old 05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Keep it clean

I'm new here but I just wanted to say thanks for posting all the great info regarding both racks. I too will probobly go with the Yakima rack to hold my snowboards for the winter season.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:13 AM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
REI.com has Yakima stuff for 20% (maybe through 5/14/06)...

selecting the steelhead bikemount, it was a saving of $83...

6 pack of SKS Lock Cores - $45.59
Steelhead Bike Mount - $87.99
Q 112 Clips - $23.19
Q 116 Clips - $23.19
48" Round Bars - $42.99
Q Towers - $107.99
Total - $330.94
plus tax of $27.30 for me...

will pick it today...
Old 05-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Racer

^ - 'thegabrielles' had a pic up with their Thule rack on the TL but I dont know what happened to it. You can PM them and see if they can send it to you, although last log on date was November of 05.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2046787

Here is a link to some pictures of the TL, no great close ups of the Thule but it sure worked great!!! I believe we surpassed the 125lb rating though, oops!!! Anyway, note teh A-spec effects on the car now, $200 painted and installed How about that for a deal!!!!

I actually purchased all my Thule rack and Yakima topper at REI, I got the 1-% discount for signing up for thier membership (no cost) and they had a sale going on as well. I dont remember what I paid for the whole set-up but I think it was under $500...including the topper.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM
8th Gear

Anyone who buys... react?

Originally Posted by spacejamz
will pick it today...

Do you get "whistle" without the fairing??? I did on Audi, so, just assumed on TL

Anyone who buys... please provide feedback... spent alot of research and time on those posts and stupid roof rack pics.... and want to make sure folks are happy.... ... if I misled, will redirect...

Thanks in advance

MsB
Old 05-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Racer

no whistle on ours but it is noisy, we were told it would be quieter with the fairing but we opted to go without it.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned

Here's a pic of my Thulerack, if anyone is interested in Thule:

Old 05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

some stuff came up and I wasn't able to pick up the parts until today...ended up getting the 44" fairing as well...total w/ tax was $403 (would have been around $500 without the 20% off)...

will install it tonight...wish me luck!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Racer

Luck probably not required but if I remember right I ran out of hands. I was attemting to install at REI because the box would not fit in the car, I ended up getting one of the guys from inside to help. Once I got it on (I think it was about 45 minutes) it was easier to reinstall the second time, maybe it was just ignorance the first time.

Hope you enjoy!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

one of the clips didn't have the boots inside the box so I had to drive back to REI after just having installed the front bar...around 60 mph, that thing was pretty noisy...(just the front bar without the fairing installed)

got the parts and everything is installed now (including the fairing) but havent taken it back on the freeway yet...

happy with the look...will report on the wind noise tomorrow...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Here is a pic
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
2020 RDX A-Spec

fairing made a big difference...fairing rattles a bit over 70 mph...

just out of curiousity, is it safe to run these through a carwash??

Quick Reply: Yakima Roof Rack Available Now