Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Don't use your high beams on me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF? Don't use your high beams on me!

Has the following ever happened to anyone? This has been happening a lot to me lately. Oncoming traffic turning their high beams on as they are coming towards me as if to let me know my high beams are on. Its not my fault that my LOW BEAMS look like High beams are on people!!! So....what have I done? I have showed them what my high beams look like..haha. Thats makes them go back to their low beams real quick.

The other day a truck got right behind me and turned his high beams on for no reason. He left them on for minutes! And even with my auto dimming mirror it was still gurting my eyes! I slowed down allowed them to pass, got right behind them and did the same thing. I bet you they will never high beam another car again! Thank you Acura TL for your bi-xenon headlights!

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Just to clarify, I do not have road rage, but don't do something to someone you don't want done back to you.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, believe me you arent the only one!! This shit happens to me almost every night coming home from work.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Happens from time-to-time. I do the same thing as you - show 'em what the High Beams look like.

Just in case (if this is happening a lot), double check that the headlights aren't aimed to high, even a little high can be a problem. There are Service Manual scans in the 3G Garage if you want to DIY - looks pretty easy to check and adjust.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
you may need to realign your headlights, make sure your cutoff line is even
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I bet you the reason you are getting high-beamed is because your fog-lights are on. Just check. Because they are on the inner side of the headlight it has the appearance of an old GM car with 4 headlights and it's high beams on......Well only a moron wouldn't know the difference, but there are a lot out there.

As is with HIDs in general, a lot of people get distracted with the the color cutoff and think it's glare of a beam that's too bright. Again those morons, need to get off those cell-phones and pay attention instead of cursin at us and flashing.......Just give em a high-beam dose of your Bi-xenons!!! I get flashed all the time but I got my hand on the stalk with a hair-trigger. If anyone dares they get spanked.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HID's Rock!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MustBeTL
HID's Rock!
X2
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
2011 BMW 335i

I occasionally use my foglights but I usually don't because I actually dont like where Acura positioned them on the 04-06 TL's. Having said that...I know I did not have my fog lights on at the times when others high beamed me. I agree with you 100% though that having your fog lights might confuse other drivers into thinking your high beams are on!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I bet you the reason you are getting high-beamed is because your fog-lights are on. Just check. Because they are on the inner side of the headlight it has the appearance of an old GM car with 4 headlights and it's high beams on......Well only a moron wouldn't know the difference, but there are a lot out there.

As is with HIDs in general, a lot of people get distracted with the the color cutoff and think it's glare of a beam that's too bright. Again those morons, need to get off those cell-phones and pay attention instead of cursin at us and flashing.......Just give em a high-beam dose of your Bi-xenons!!! I get flashed all the time but I got my hand on the stalk with a hair-trigger. If anyone dares they get spanked.
I occasionally use my foglights but I usually don't because I actually dont like where Acura positioned them on the 04-06 TL's. Having said that...I know I did not have my fog lights on at the times when others high beamed me. I agree with you 100% though that having your fog lights might confuse other drivers into thinking your high beams are on!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by MustBeTL
HID's Rock!
x3!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Fog lights

I occasionally use my foglights but I usually don't because I actually dont like where Acura positioned them on the 04-06 TL's. Having said that...I know I did not have my fog lights on at the times when others high beamed me. I agree with you 100% though that having your fog lights on might confuse other drivers into thinking your high beams are on!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Advanced

I get some flashes in my wrangler because I haven't adjusted the headlights yet since I lifted it. I love when people feel the need to tell me my high beams are on repeatedly because I just turn on my 140 watt offroad lights for a second or two and they get the picture.
I've turned them on my friends' cars in a safe environment and they just pull over because they really cant see.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Advanced

This has happened to me a few times...hubby says maybe I need to get the lights adjusted, ha ha. Interesting, with the old '85 Bimmer, we both agree we could see better with the brights than with the brights on the '07 TLS. Not sure how many of you are in a position to compare, but the Bimmer had fantastic brights. The difference in the TL's regular and brights are minimal, IMO.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by muranojo
This has happened to me a few times...hubby says maybe I need to get the lights adjusted, ha ha. Interesting, with the old '85 Bimmer, we both agree we could see better with the brights than with the brights on the '07 TLS. Not sure how many of you are in a position to compare, but the Bimmer had fantastic brights. The difference in the TL's regular and brights are minimal, IMO.
I'll have to check out my cousins car then...She has either an 1985 or 1986...318is? does that sound right? I know its a 3 series. I am not fimiliar with numbers on the older bimmers only the newer ones..
Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Most truck drivers are Blue collar workers (construction, etc) and they usually are in the low/middle income bracket.

Although their the income level of blue collar workers does not always result in poor and un-classy driving behaviors although it has been observed to be a tendency among blue collar workers.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Most truck drivers are Blue collar workers (construction, etc) and they usually are in the low/middle income bracket.

Although their the income level of blue collar workers does not always result in poor and un-classy driving behaviors although it has been observed to be a tendency among blue collar workers.
I bet your elitist shit don't stink either.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM
08 NBP Type S Sucka !!

and the prize for the most ignorant shit ever said goes to.............
Old 04-10-2008, 07:05 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^ I read wat xenonhid said 3 times... stil don't understand it

ps. I've been highbeamed a couple of times... but from people behind me... solution: brake check then floor it
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Racer

My mom had a 94' Pontiac Gran Prix. Might be off on the year. It's grill lit up. Had a few morons do the same thing to me when I drove it. They got the brights and I left them on till they passed.

I drive a lot of windy backroads and frequently leave my fogs on so I can see side of the road. Lots of animals jump out on the road. I frequently get the same thing in this car. They bright me. So I do it right back.

Two or three weeks ago on a Saturday night I came around a corner and saw some fool crashed into the guard rail facing towards me on MY side of the road. So I pass him. Get around a couple turns and some asshat in a truck brights me. As he is coming towards me. Doesn't he get it this is a bad road and you need all the lights you can get. Wonder if he crashed into the other fool?

I sometime I wish I was in a truck with the super high beams for off roading so I could do what 540idinan does. I think thats great. Most of the time the oncoming car can only see me for a couple of seconds since the road is so windy so not like I am blinding them for a long time.

I agree get the hell off the cell and pay attention. Now on a highway other drivers with brights annoy me. But, in situations like backroad driving fogs and or brights are needed.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i love when people high beam me cuz of the fogs being on and they are HIDs too.... when u really show them the power of ur high beams they feel like babydicks.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

You might be a Redneck if...^^^^^
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I get it everynight...
I even get it from people WITH HID's (even people w/ projectors). They apparently don't realize how bright their headlights really are as well...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
I get it everynight...
I even get it from people WITH HID's (even people w/ projectors). They apparently don't realize how bright their headlights really are as well...
obviously something's wrong if you get it every night.. holy.. re-aim them. i've never been flashed because mine are aimed PROPERLY.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Cruisin'

They're just Hating on you lol
Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I used to have 2 sets of auxillary lights on my old car in college.....I had a set of yellow fogs in the airdam and I had a pair of 85 watt white projectors up on a front brush bar. These were aimed up PURPOSELY. I used the fogs as normal and I hardly ever used the projectors because they were blinding. I had them there expressly for the power to flash people back, especially truck drivers. I used to flash them so badly I could clearly see their faces wincing and the shadow of their heads on the back wall of their cab....lol!!! They'd be cursing and putting a hand up to their face. They'd pass me and I'd see their brake lights on...........

Well, after I grew out of those immature years I realized it wasn't funny anymore to practically almost kill these people so I stopped doing it. It's really mean and dangerous! If someone flashes you all you need to do is just flash them back. Don't blind them for 30 seconds! Some people have additional visual impairment which can mean disaster. If you happen to kill someone because they run over somebody or they go into a ditch you will never forgive yourself.

xenonhid, you have no idea what you are talking about....blue collar workers, unclassy driving??? I know doctors and lawyers in their S-classes and 5-series that drive like bonafide certified Grade-A jackasses......No blue collar there. I've rode along in construction trucks with those "unclassy" type of guys and we were laughing and joking in traffic.....go figure? (Truck drivers may be blue collar but they are not always in a low income bracket...I know one that pulls in $75k a year with a big rig, you'd be surprised)

It's not about your working class or education level or a "tendency" (read assumption), it's about your personality. Whether it is more of a competitive, impatient or aggressive type. All it takes is a Type-A personality. You should know what that means right? Your observation was pretty unscientific and "unclassy". You're not blue-collar are you?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
My TL can do this, too!

I got flashed by a dude once. When I back out of my driveway I always have my parking lights on only, b/c I don't want to shine on the house (at 6AM) with my lights. So one morning I was backing out, and some µ¢k€r in a 10-year old Saturn was speeding over the hill - he had to slow down. (the elevation apex of my street is one house away) At the time I had only my parking lights on, and turned on my regular lights. Apparently, I forgot that the foglights were in the "ON" position. He must be sensitive, because he "flashed me back".

Another point: If you really want to flash someone, use a 1M CP spotlight plugged into your cig lighter FTMFW. Or so I've heard! (be careful with that)
Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Racer

Well, after I grew out of those immature years I realized it wasn't funny anymore to practically almost kill these people so I stopped doing it. It's really mean and dangerous! If someone flashes you all you need to do is just flash them back. Don't blind them for 30 seconds! Some people have additional visual impairment which can mean disaster.
My car is 100% stock with street legal lights. If they bother someone that much they shouldn't be driving. The lights on my mom's Grand Prix where not that bright. They were decrotive more then anything else. People need to get their heads out of their ass and relize not everyone is driving around with old weak headlights.

I have had plenty of TLs approch me on the other side of the road and didn't feel the need to flash them and blind them. Have I seen aftermarket lights on all different types of cars and trucks that are TOO bright or high? sure. Those morons deserve a ticket at the minium.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

I guess he hasn't priced a big diesel truck lately. LOL.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most truck drivers are Blue collar workers (construction, etc)... low/middle income bracket...tendency...un-classy driving behaviors....
I had to read this about 3 times too.... R U 4 Real?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I almost never get flashed and that's a big surprise to me seeing how many people without HIDs bitch about them. Nobody that actually has HIDs actually ever, ever, bitches about them though.

Now, if I had a nickel for every fool with their driving/fog light on and misaligned I'd be driving an RL, not a TL !
Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM
blah

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rksokol
I got flashed by a dude once.

I'm sorry but I just found this funny. hahaha.

Anyways, I think it just depends on the area where you live. In my city, there are a lot of cars with HIDs so I think everyone is pretty used to it. But when I go back to my parent's city, there aren't a lot of cars with HIDs so I get high beamed once in a blue moon.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carlos9827
I'll have to check out my cousins car then...She has either an 1985 or 1986...318is? does that sound right? I know its a 3 series. I am not fimiliar with numbers on the older bimmers only the newer ones..

It's an '85 318i, 2-door, stick. I just LOVE that car. Hubby kept getting new pickups and I said, "Whoa--am I gonna go to the grave with this car I've had for ages?" So, wanted more bells & whistles, but the BMW driving experience. Closest thing I could find, with reliability, safety, and just my size was the TL-S!

And I love it, too--every day. Still have the Bimmer, but get offers on it all the time. It has like 140k miles, pretty low for that year, and in great shape. We took care of it. But I did like those brights in it, whatever they were.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

Wow. I thought I'd read posts by ignorant douchebags before, but they just get better and better.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
been there done that...haha
Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Racer

How many of you people who get flashed have larger wheels than the stock 17" wheels?
Maybe that little change in diameter puts the lights too high.

With the stock wheels, when I hit imperfections in the road at night time, you can see the effect it has on the light pattern....at least a 1/4 mile ahead....it's pretty drastic

Can't help but think that if a wheel raised the car by even a 1/2", the light pattern could be blinding
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by scv76_
How many of you people who get flashed have larger wheels than the stock 17" wheels?

With the stock wheels, when I hit imperfections in the road at night time, you can see the effect it has on the light pattern....at least a 1/4 mile ahead....it's pretty drastic

Can't help but think that if a wheel raised the car by even a 1/2", the light pattern could be blinding
Didn't think about this but it makes sense...I just got high beamed again last night by a 03-08 toyota corolla...quickly showed them my high beams were not on therefore they needed to go back to their low beams also....haha.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by scv76_

Didn't think about this but it makes sense. I just put the 19s on my car a couple months ago, prior to that my car had its stock wheels since brand new (for about 2 years) I would still alway get high beamed tho, maybe cause of road imperfections, I guess that could be it too. I think the main thing is the fact that some people have just don't get it....it's like they have have no clue...I just got high beamed again last night by a 03-08 toyota corolla, I quickly showed them my high beams were not on tho and therefore they needed to go back to their low beams also....haha.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

They flash me, i dont get mad, i dont get irritated, i just show em what my real hi-beams are like =D

and i leave them on until they get the idea
Old 04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Regardless of our thoughts on this issue its obvious that some people are negatively affected by the HID's. If they are bothered just flash back & let it go at that.

Getting into a "mine is bigger then yours contest" over head lights is silly.

I have been driving the past year and a half with both sets of lights on because we have a lot of deer here. The fog light HID combo throws nice light to both sides of the road so you can see them coming.

IIRC I have been flashed maybe 6 times since I have had the TL, so maybe some of you have a headlight aiming issue.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Regardless of our thoughts on this issue its obvious that some people are negatively affected by the HID's. If they are bothered just flash back & let it go at that.

Getting into a "mine is bigger then yours contest" over head lights is silly.

I have been driving the past year and a half with both sets of lights on because we have a lot of deer here. The fog light HID combo throws nice light to both sides of the road so you can see them coming.

IIRC I have been flashed maybe 6 times since I have had the TL, so maybe some of you have a headlight aiming issue.
Exactly. It's not a game, and if they're having visual problems with your low beams, why make it worse and risk them crashing head on into you?

Quick Reply: WTF? Don't use your high beams on me!