Sponsored by:

would it be unethical to use the boards in trying to deal w/ a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would it be unethical to use the boards in trying to deal w/ a dealer

you know what i am saying?

show the dealer the thread where people are getting around 33500 for their TL's w/ Nav

would that be unethical?
not sure how much power that would have, but it might. anyone tried it?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

For what its worth, i dont think it would be. Your just pointing out to the sales person that it can be done for a certain price and if not at their dealership, than someone elses!!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EzEee
For what its worth, i dont think it would be. Your just pointing out to the sales person that it can be done for a certain price and if not at their dealership, than someone elses!!!!
see, that is how i look at it....like "look, here is what some people are getting it for, if you cant match it or come close, ill take my buisness there"

kinda deal....not tough guy, but a competitive bid type deal
Old 11-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Racer

This board (and the internet in general) provides consumers with knowledge and knowledge is power.

Dealers HATE the internet because now with edmunds, kbb, etc. everybody has access to the dealer's cost (invoice) and holdbacks, etc.

I don't see how using tjis board is any different than using Edmunds.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Minarets
you know what i am saying?

show the dealer the thread where people are getting around 33500 for their TL's w/ Nav

would that be unethical?
not sure how much power that would have, but it might. anyone tried it?

HERE IS A SUGGESTION: Every Dealer have a "Fleet Manager", try getting a qoute from him...no hustle other than that you can use Costco or AAA to help you get a fair deal.

Goodluck!!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Racer

I tell you what, find me an ethical car dealer and then we can talk about this.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This forum and others empower a prospective buyer with very valuable information. I don't think one needs to "bring in the thread", but one can use it as leverage. For instance, when the sales guy says "this car is going at $2000 over invoice everywhere" the reply can be "per my communication with others I know that isn't true; here's what I'll give you for it".

greg
Old 11-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It would only be unethical if America is Illegal

We live in a free market, captilistic society

The power is in the hands of the consumer now. Use the internet to your fullest ability. Show dealers that they need to be competitive!

(FYI, they are ALREADY using this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 11-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

http://www.carbuyingtips.com lots of useful information...
Old 11-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's worth a try, but expect the dealer to say that "those posts are all made up" and that the people didn't really get those prices.

But you do need to keep in mind that the market is different in different parts of the country. What applies in Philadelphia isn't relevant to Los Angeles, for example. Some places are basically still "MSRP only" and others are near invoice price.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I love cars!

Hybrid, you just ruined the thread! Now the sales guys will all say, "Yeah, look at what Hybrid posted. That's true."
Old 11-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

I used 'em, and it got me a price of just under $500 over invoice on a non-navi anthracite. Needless to say, I think these boards are great! Information is power....use it to your advantage!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid
But you do need to keep in mind that the market is different in different parts of the country. What applies in Philadelphia isn't relevant to Los Angeles, for example. Some places are basically still "MSRP only" and others are near invoice price.
Also, don't rule out buying out of state. I bought my car in Texas, because the dealers in Oregon wouldn't budge on price. Even paying the $600 for shipping, I still saved a boatload compared to what the local dealers wanted... I even considered flying out there, and driving it back and making it a mini roadtrip/vacation.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Instructor

I used information from this site to find a dealer who gave me the best price. You could use info from this site to get price quotes from OH & PA dealers. The question is not whether the dealer will meet their prices, but will he give you a reasonable deal based on your knowledge of the market. Can you tell him that if you don't offer a competitive price you'll go elsewhere? Out of town? How many dealers are you considering? What price are you willing to accept? If the dealer knows you will buy from him he isn't going to give you "the best deal".
Old 11-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Certainly not unethical - and you are dealing with car salesperople, so what does ethics have to do with it?

I too believe that they have pretty much come up with an answer to everything, and will not be impressed if you wave a bunch of posts from the 'Net at them. They hate the 'Net - i agree with and live by the knowledge is power statement.

Xpiditor wrote out as good a car buying strategy as I have seen - and even curmudgeonly ol me gave recog points for that post. Ypu might search for it, or perhaps 'X' will provide the link.

I come in with a high and low price I am willing to pay, based on market demand, availability, average dealer days in inventory, etc. I alsways look at the door jamb to see when the car was built - gives you an idea how long it has been sitting, pushing the dealer's Nut up - remember that they get some money from Acura to offset the cost of that nut (financing unsold inventory), but the amount drops over time. Acura (well, AHM) like any sales org wants inventory turns - that is the bottom line in business - turning inventory.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Systems Overlord

These days the Internet Manager and the Fleet Manager are usual the same person. Try getting quotes from the Internet Managers that are a reasonable distance from each other. Getting quotes from dealers 500 miles from each other will usual get you told to go there by the salespeople. One of the most important things to do is stay away from the "Regular" sales personnel at the dealership. The Internet/Fleet Managers are usually salaried plus get addtional monies for volume. The "Regulars" rely on commision and may not be more willing to cut into their commission too much.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Agree with the positive post and can only add a little.
Of course you have the right to share whatever information you get from here. Keep in mind that your local dealer also has the right to not deal. I also live in a city that only has one Acura dealer and little or no inventory.

Take the advice from this thread and broaden your search. Deal only with the internet or fleet manager (via email or fax) for the best price. Some dealers even show their current inventory on their websites. They also offer to give you a quote on-line or by fax, it works. The price can be negoiated in a few hours at most. Be committed to having to travel a reasonable distance or having the car shipped if necessary.

I was able to locate an available car less than 3 hours from home @ about $2000 below MSRP. I ended up placing an order with my local dealer for $400 more because I'm lazy ($34,200 +TTL) 5AT/Navi. Mine will be in in about two weeks. Good luck and keep us posted please.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

are you saying that car sales persons have a reputation as ethical?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Systems Overlord

Does the Pope live in the Vatican? Does a bear shit in the woods?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Car Addict

I used this board for research, and then referenced it during our sale. Worked great.

My rule of thumb is to tell the internet manager what you want to get if for, complete, before tax, and then see if he agrees to be in that range. Then I would come out. The guys who did not directly answer my question did not a visit from us.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Awesome to the Max

if the dealers allow it, do it..
Old 11-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Go Giants!!

How many years did we get "unethical and lousy" treatment from car dealers (new and used). That's why the ultimate put down is "he/she is like a used car salesman".

I agree with most on this thread. Do what you can to get the best deal for yourself.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Instructor

When it comes to handing over your hard earned money to dealerships look at it as hand to hand combat-anything goes.!!!! Theatrics, drama, posturing etc . And do no ever let it get personal. We all have bend over too often and are not going to take it anymore!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Best Deal

I believe you get the best deal by using the internet manager. Just bought an '04 AT/Nav from Acura of Augusta and had my best car buying experience ever. Very little haggling and got a great deal over the phone after asking for a dealer quote from a dealer vouched for on this board. Went to kbb.com for the selling range and wound up on the low end. Thanks everyone. Knowledge is power.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by midas69
I tell you what, find me an ethical car dealer and then we can talk about this.
I've been in these forums for years and have never seen a comment more on point ! ! !
Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

suggestion...what i did was call the dealers and tell them, that look im gettin this price from xyz dealer can u offer me this...see what he sayz and im sure he'll come to that price thatz good with you.!!!!!

thatz what i did and i got a great deal with my car

laterz, good luck
Old 11-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One dealer told me not to believe anything I read on the internet. I told him I'd believe EVERYTHING I read on the internet before I'd believe a car salesman. I didn't buy my car from him. He wanted $1k OVER msrp!!. Got mine for $2K under.

There's nothing wrong with doing research. The only ones who don't want an informed buyer are the ones trying to cheat you. An honest salesman (I know there are some, not many) would want an informed buyer. Makes his job easier beacaue the buyer knows what's possible and what's not. The guy who walks in and wants to pay $20K for a $35K car is a pain in the ass and makes it much harder for everyone.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Banned

Unethical? Are you kidding me!!!??? IMO, buying a car is a pain in the ass. Car salesmen will lie and cheat to squeeze every penny out of you. Why shouldn't you do the same?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Whatever gets you the best deal. Plain and simple. Ethics and buiying a car do not belong in the same conversation. They try to take you to the cleaners in any way possible. There is no reason why you shouldn't use all your resources to get the best deal.