Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woe is ME!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Once more into the breach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woe is ME!

Just got back from the dealership.....the recall for the faulty oil injector was not so minor. My 04' TL 2nd gear was shot at 19k miles. They have to put in a whole new transmission . I thought I got past this crap when I kicked American made cars to the curb. Anyone else get bad news from that recall? Im hurtin.....it will probably never behave the same, and im looking out my window at a rented Chevy Malibu.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peacefrog
Just got back from the dealership.....the recall for the faulty oil injector was not so minor. My 04' TL 2nd gear was shot at 19k miles. They have to put in a whole new transmission . I thought I got past this crap when I kicked American made cars to the curb. Anyone else get bad news from that recall? Im hurtin.....it will probably never behave the same, and im looking out my window at a rented Chevy Malibu.
is your 04 TL early model? Because I called my dealership to check, they said my vin does not fall under RECALL.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, only the early 04 TL's has the recall.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by peacefrog
Im hurtin.....it will probably never behave the same, and im looking out my window at a rented Chevy Malibu.
Cheer up, it's not a wreck. With a brand spankin new tranny, it will probably perform better than ever! Better now than on your dime at 80k! Good luck and punish that Malibu for its very existence.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JackSprat01 is right. Cheer up.
They gave you a new tranny instead of a refurbished one.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:45 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
JackSprat01 is right. Cheer up.
They gave you a new tranny instead of a refurbished one.
It's probably refurbished. By "whole new transmission" I think he meant that they replaced the entire thing.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:19 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
It's probably refurbished. By "whole new transmission" I think he meant that they replaced the entire thing.
From what I have heard, Lore is probably right. A refurbished trans is most likely what you will receive. I would definitely ask your service manager.... It may not even be remanufactured by Acura/Honda..... Probably a sub-contractor (but to Honda's specs of course..)

Overall, will be better than what you have now though
Seriously, it wouldn't bother me... as long as my car wasn't all scratched/jacked up when they were done...

Best of luck
Old 03-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

its no surprise that the 04 TL auto tranny will suffer from the same problems as the 2nd gen TL. its the same tranny, just modified with that oil jet thing. what will be interesting later down the road is if the modified tranny's survive after the fix. alot of 2nd gen TL's had their trannies replaced with the oil jet fix and still failed later on. i hope for the 3rd gen that this is not true as well because that would really leave a bad taste in a lot of TL owners mouths.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:54 PM

The service manager did mention that the "new" tranny (hopefully not refurb.) will have performance viariations, especially in shifting patterns, but should be up to current specs for the 05's, could be my only bright spot. I was due for an oil change....wonder if they'll charge me.....hehehehehe.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Best of luck...

refurbished... IMHO.

Sorry to say that, but I haven't heard anyone really getting the brand new tranny for this matter.

In the recall procedure, if your mileage is more than 15k, it says what Acura dealers techs should pay attention to. Your dealer prolly make a safe call to have your tranny replaced.

When did you get your recall letter? Just curious.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation Appendix...

Maybe you could re-confirm with your dealer. I just hope your dealer would tell you the truth. (Or they already told you the truth.)

Acura TSB 04-020: Safety Recall: CL and TL Automatically Transmission 2nd Gear Inspection

Vehicles with more than 15000 miles...
  • If you determine that the color of the gear in your photos matches any gear level other than number 1 on the inspection guide, submit a completed A/T order form, with your digital photographs attached, to RPO Tech Line. RPO will either cancel your A/T order and let you know you need to install an A/T Oil Jet Kit, or process your A/T order so you can install a remanufactured A/T...

Btw, I'd guess 3GTL's tranny is still different to 2GTL/CL's. The main part could be identical, but 3GTL's prolly get some new parts or modification.

While 2GTL/CL get the tranny replacement, the TSB states they have to get PCM, fuel pressure regulator, etc, besides the remanufactured A/T.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it is just starting.. Like in the 2G models... It took about a year or so for it all to happen.. The 05s probably have the same issue.. They just had the oil jet installed at the factory... Good luck with the new tranny. Did they replace the ECU as well?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Why isn't anyone asking the obvious question...... Did you have the "oil injector" TSB performed when you first learned about it? If so, when was it? Or did you not learn about it at that time and only now (after nearly 20K miles) learn of the need to install the injector? If you had the oil injector installed and STILL experienced this problem.... We may all have an issue.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

goddamn honda tranny !
Old 03-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Why isn't anyone asking the obvious question...... Did you have the "oil injector" TSB performed when you first learned about it? If so, when was it? Or did you not learn about it at that time and only now (after nearly 20K miles) learn of the need to install the injector? If you had the oil injector installed and STILL experienced this problem.... We may all have an issue.
I guess... he got the recall and finally got the inspection when his car is already 19k... after techs took shots and compared with Acura's digital pics, they decided not to put the oil jet kit. Instead, they have a "new" tranny ordered....

I wanna know, too. (I did ask when he received that letter.. but he has checked here yet...)
Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Wow you guys need to calm down. This is the start? God damn Honda Tranny? Did you guys even read the first post? The recall was done for a reason, because of a lubrication problem for 2nd gear. Peacefrog's car drove 19,000 miles without a properly lubricated 2nd gear. OBVIOUSLY there is going to be damage there. That is why Acura is replacing the transmission. Some of you are making it seem as if this is an entire new problem. It says in the TSB to open the tranny and inspect it if the car has more than 15k miles on it because of possible damage. This isn't a new problem. It's the same thing. Only difference is that peacefrog actually had damage done before the TSB could be done. I might be wrong but from the way it sounds, the damage was noticed when peacefrog took his car in for the TSB. I don't think he had the TSB done and THEN the damage still happened after that.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by vtecracer
Wow you guys need to calm down. This is the start? God damn Honda Tranny? Did you guys even read the first post? The recall was done for a reason, because of a lubrication problem for 2nd gear. Peacefrog's car drove 19,000 miles without a properly lubricated 2nd gear. OBVIOUSLY there is going to be damage there. That is why Acura is replacing the transmission. Some of you are making it seem as if this is an entire new problem. It says in the TSB to open the tranny and inspect it if the car has more than 15k miles on it because of possible damage. This isn't a new problem. It's the same thing. Only difference is that peacefrog actually had damage done before the TSB could be done. I might be wrong but from the way it sounds, the damage was noticed when peacefrog took his car in for the TSB. I don't think he had the TSB done and THEN the damage still happened after that.

All ppl above know this issue is well-known TSB and recall...
Old 03-09-2005, 07:57 AM

Ok....before I come off too neglectful, I think I got the recall notice in the mail around August......I went to the dealership within about a week to schedule an appointment. The tech there asked me what I had, and when I told him it was an '04 TL, he shrugged his shoulders and said I shouldnt worry they havent seen any problems with the model and they were scheduling appointments 3 months out. So I assumed his opinion could be trusted, this wasnt JimBob's Lube Shack, it was a reputable dealership. So I shedule the appointment for Nov., then the holidays come around and scheduling conflicts delay me bringing it in. Still thinking that it was not a huge issue I just now got it in. Perhaps it was my fault, I wasnt a member of this forum then....I wish I had been. I never noticed any performance issues to cause alarm....aside from the Bridgestone Turd-enzas. So yes I had no idea there was a problem until yesterday.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The oil jet issue is on all 5AT The 01 CL S model I had was recalled as well... If you have a 5AT I would say the best thing to do is to always have it in fully automatic mode and only use the manual mode on occasion. The people I know who use it all the time in manual mode has had the most problems since they use it to slow down. My brakes were original at 83000 miles when I got rid of the 01, but the tranny was not...
Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by rets
I guess... he got the recall and finally got the inspection when his car is already 19k... after techs took shots and compared with Acura's digital pics, they decided not to put the oil jet kit. Instead, they have a "new" tranny ordered....

I wanna know, too. (I did ask when he received that letter.. but he has checked here yet...)

That is exactly what happened, when I got the dealership there had just sent the shots to Acura and consequently ordered a new tranny.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Best of luck to you...

Ok, peacefrog, it's all clear now. It seems your dealer failed to advise you the proper information, and acted to inspect your car as soon as possible.

I used to have my car serviced by a reputable dealership, too... but, in my opinion, they "SUCK", especially with the new models of Acura. They think it's the "similar" vehcile as what they usually have.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Instructor

I bought my TL, 31 Oct 03, tranny was replaced Jul 04. You will not get a brand new tranny, it WILL be refurbished.