Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring solution for fog lights/without head lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Wiring solution for fog lights/without head lights

I would love to use the fog lights separatley without the headlights, has anyone figured out a way to do this ????
Old 11-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Old 11-25-2003, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Iggy
He's talking about on the 3rd gen cars, which has yet to be done. I plan on making this mod available for the 3rd gens but the problem is I don't have one (yet ) so I can't poke around and see what's what. Plus, just like when I did the mod for the 2nd gens, I want to have the factory service manual available to look at the wiring diagrams. I'm sure it can be done, but it will be tougher than the 2nd gen mod because instead of a fog light switch on the dash, you have a fog light ring on the light stalk. Makes it harder to do the mod without pulling a lot of stuff apart. I think it might be easier to go underhood and attack the problem from the relay side.

When I come up with something I will certainly post it here first.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:32 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by pianoman41
He's talking about on the 3rd gen cars, which has yet to be done. I plan on making this mod available for the 3rd gens but the problem is I don't have one (yet ) so I can't poke around and see what's what. Plus, just like when I did the mod for the 2nd gens, I want to have the factory service manual available to look at the wiring diagrams. I'm sure it can be done, but it will be tougher than the 2nd gen mod because instead of a fog light switch on the dash, you have a fog light ring on the light stalk. Makes it harder to do the mod without pulling a lot of stuff apart. I think it might be easier to go underhood and attack the problem from the relay side.

When I come up with something I will certainly post it here first.
Thanks Pianoman41,

The service manual is not available yet, I tried ordering it.

Also, I had a 96 maxima that had the same issue (fogs only on with head lights and ring type switch on the blinker stalk).

I found the relay in the engine comparment and ran a wire from the parking light to the relay, removed the 1/4" faston from the harness that had the head light feed, and replaced it by crimping a 1/4" faston onto the parking light feed and pushed it back into the relay connector, worked great (plus I did not have to cut any wires, but did have to heavily insulate the head light feed!)

It will only be a mater of time!

Thanks for working on this!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by need4spd
Also, I had a 96 maxima that had the same issue (fogs only on with head lights and ring type switch on the blinker stalk).

I found the relay in the engine comparment and ran a wire from the parking light to the relay, removed the 1/4" faston from the harness that had the head light feed, and replaced it by crimping a 1/4" faston onto the parking light feed and pushed it back into the relay connector, worked great (plus I did not have to cut any wires, but did have to heavily insulate the head light feed!)
I have a '97 Maxima SE and I did the same thing. That's why I'll check out the options in/under the dash first, then out to the relay under the hood as a last resort, like how it was done in the Maximas.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally posted by pianoman41
He's talking about on the 3rd gen cars, which has yet to be done.
Whoooops. Next time I better RTFQ.

Iggy