Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wipers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Wipers...

I bought my TL about a month and 2 weeks ago... Already got 2500 miles (bought my baby at 4 miles)... But, I rarely used my windshield wipers! But, it's skipping on the window!!! It's not smooth at all!!! I've even tried wiping the wipers and even putting on extra coat of Rain-X!! Any advice? Will the Service Dept take care of it when I take mine in for the first oil change?!?! It's getting really annoying and I don't want to buy new wipers already!! and I don't want to wait until my oil change!! HELP!!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by timdaley73
I bought my TL about a month and 2 weeks ago... Already got 2500 miles (bought my baby at 4 miles)... But, I rarely used my windshield wipers! But, it's skipping on the window!!! It's not smooth at all!!! I've even tried wiping the wipers and even putting on extra coat of Rain-X!! Any advice? Will the Service Dept take care of it when I take mine in for the first oil change?!?! It's getting really annoying and I don't want to buy new wipers already!! and I don't want to wait until my oil change!! HELP!!!!
Took a few weeks and several rain storms of use for my wipers to break in, but they are still pretty poor wipers, it is like the tension force on the wiper pressing on the glass is not strong enough, or maybe those factory blades just suck that bad.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
2004 Acura TL SSM 6MT

My wipers work great... in fact, it was raining the day I bought the car and brought it home.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Just like an Eagle's fan/Philly person to be helpful!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TireSmoke
My wipers work great... in fact, it was raining the day I bought the car and brought it home.

Just like an Eagle's fan/Philly person to be helpful! NOT!!!!!!!1
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Anyways... I decided to call the Service Department of the dealership where I bought it from and they said that they would replace them right away!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
see if you can find some glass polish. Rain-X used to make some in a white bottle / blue label, it's a fine polish for windows and any glass. Used to return my wipers to brand new status whenever I did it.. which was every other car wash or so due to road grime and Atlanta pollution. Can't find it anymore tho.. But use any glass polish and it works.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Banned

i switched to piaa silicone wiper blades, my 03 S was doing the same, from day one. i like the piaa better than any other blade i have ever had. but there more money than brand x y or z. i put my oem,s in the trash after i tried the piaa silicone blade..
Old 07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my wipers work excellent. they are actually one of the best wipers i have seen.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
A couple of months ago my wipers did the same thing. I stopped at the dealer to show him, but couldn't wait to get them replaced. He said he would order me some since they didn't have any in stock.

When I got home, my windshield was gritty, so I cleaned it twice with an alcohol based cleaner, and then twice more with windex, and it wasn't gritty anymore. Had to wait over a month for more rain, but no more squaking. I have rainx on the windshield, and the cleaning didn't seem to hurt it.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've owned several Honda/Acura cars and never been impressed with the wipers. I suppose I should try an aftermarket brand.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGator
I've owned several Honda/Acura cars and never been impressed with the wipers. I suppose I should try an aftermarket brand.
My 96TL was 2 years old when I bought it in 98, so I changed the wiper inserts. At this time, I parked outside in the sun a lot, and 3 years later they were still good but I changed them anyway, and 3 years later when I traded the car they were still on there and still good. But I guess it depends where you are and what kind of junk is in the air.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Racer

The wipers on the car work great. No skipping or lines on the glass when i have used them...

Old 07-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
The wipers work fine - it is the crud on the windshields. I have found Rain-X and other silicones tend to coat unevenly, and glom onto the blades unevenly as well. This creates areas of stick/slip, which is what chatter is all about.

Plus, during PDI, I have seen the wax rags used to wipe down the windshield - a no no.

I recommend a thorough cleaning of the blades with rubbing alcohol, and then a light rub in of 303 Protectant. You do not want any more silicone.

I then colean the windshield with pure dish detergent (like Dawn), then Stoner glass cleaner. if they stillc hatter, I go for the big gun: Bon Ami. Bon Ami will not scratch, but it gets into the glass and removes all the gunk. You need a small amount of BA, and lots of water to flush it away. UIt also is great for any water spots in the glass. It will not hurt paint if it gets on paint, but of course I do not say use it to clean paint.

I have silicone rubber blkades on my outback, and while they last forever, they are noisy, and put up much more drag than stock blades.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

PIAAs are great - you won't be disapointed. (but if you buy them, the sizing book may not be updated for the 04TL - and the passenger side wiper on the 03 is smaller than the 04)
Old 07-23-2004, 03:41 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by cullal
The wipers on the car work great. No skipping or lines on the glass when i have used them
ditto...
Old 07-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Another great way to rid glass of road crap is to use MaGuires Swirl Remover - It's a very fine abrasive that is even safe for clear coat if used properly. I bet that most wiper problems are caused by yuk on the glass itself and not the wipers. They, of course, need to be cleaned or replaced when the windshield is cleaned - I replace my wipers once a year - hate looking through a bad windshield, especially at night.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Never put Rain X on a "dirty" windshield! It will leave a haze that can be a beast to get rid of. Some vinegar and water will cut the haze, just be careful to not get it on the paint or you'll have some waxing to do...

BTW, I clean my windshield once in awhile with Meguiars Cleaner Wax, w/ lot's of buffing. Then, re-Rain X. Worx for me!
Old 07-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Instructor

I found PIAA silicone replacement blades. They work great. No need to buy the whole unit, the refills are much cheaper.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
To fix rough windshield wiper blades: rub the blade with a some fine-grit sandpaper, then wipe with moist paper towel. This usually smooths them and relieves squeeking.

This is also a trick if your blades are worn out and you can't get to the store quickly to buy new ones. Lightly sanding off the outer layer of rubber rejuvenates them.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
my wipers work excellent. they are actually one of the best wipers i have seen.
I second the comments, work great. I REALLY love to hit the mist setting (with faster cycle).

Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Setting sun

My windows don't have anything on them. My wipers work fine.

The rubber can take a set in hot sun.

Mine is in a garage.

XP
Old 07-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Pug, Road Rage, and all for the interesting bits of advice. Guess I've just had bad luck with my Honda/Acura cars.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Pug, Road Rage, and all for the interesting bits of advice. Guess I've just had bad luck with my Honda/Acura cars.
Cool. I took my first road trip in the TL today, round trip Richmond to DC to hear prototypes of some amazing loudspeakers I am going to review. Amazing (PM me if you want more ifo).

On the way back, the rain hit, and the wipers started to chatter, and I could see telltale signs of silicone streaking, although the blades seemed to do a good jopb. So tomorrow, it gets the full Monty:

1) I will clean the blades with some rubbing alcohol (I do not recommend sand paper) and apply a tiny film of 303, but have the blades elevated off the glass so none gets on the glass
2) Strong clean with liquid dish detergent (Dawn Palmolive), let it sit a few minutes, then rinse fully.
3) Clean with Meguiar's #7 or #9 (same swirl remover as mentioned by tedanddenise), or Pinnacle Cleaner. I do not recommend cleaner/wax on the windshield (and neither does McGuiar's)
4) Check wiper action.
5) If still poor, get out the big guns - Bon Ami or Baking Soda, lots of water
6) If still poor, new rubber inserts, perhaps some PIAA's.

I have found Rain-X works, but over time, it messes up the windshield more than I like. So I have stopped using any of those products, except on the side windows.

BTW, I got over 32 MPG average for the trip, on an car with now 612 miles on it! That included the usual DC metro traffic mess, where we creep along for miles, only to find a state policeman has someone stopped weay off the road, and everyone has slowed down for a good look-see. Drives you crazy! I was very impressed with the mileage, and the car was great in the rain.

My Zaino was fresh, and when the sun came out., it barely looked dirty. At one point, a guy in a Solara ( a chick car that no man should drive) asked me what I was using on my car, because he had never seen beading like that! It was cool, but he could not deal with Zaino - outside of his word heritage I guess.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Kollage is funn!

i have a 03 mercury marauder and i put Bosch Micro Edge Excel blades on it....whenever i rainX it, it wears off REALLY FAST.....like i'd rainX it, then i'd be in the middle of my FIRST rainstorm and it would start sucking...

my 03 TL-S Nav's factory blades are freaking awesome. rainX stays on for months. now my question is, if i take it to the dealer, can they put on blades similar to the factory's? also, anyone know if silicone blades would take rainX off/be less friction-al? thanks. -shawn