Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield replacement

My '02 Acura windshield was cracked and now it is getting worse - best to take to dealer or go to regular windshield place? Don't want to void any warranty and I want Honda Part.

Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
How's your insurance? My policy has a rider on it that calls for my insurance company to replace/repair cracked windshields for $0 deductible and I really didn't even know about it until I called my agent several years ago when I cracked one.

I would first check to see if you insurance would cover and to how much. They would probably have someone they use repair it for you.

I've only used the the companies that come to your location and repair/install the windshield just for convenience sake.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

check your insurance most would cover repair/replacement with no deductible.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Team Anthracite Member

thanks - I will do that. Never had a crack on one that was still kinda young - when they get old I am not so particular, but my old car rusted around the windshield so I am fearful it was sealed wrong etc. Don't want to mess up the '02 - she is still excellent shape

thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by tripp11
How's your insurance? My policy has a rider on it that calls for my insurance company to replace/repair cracked windshields for $0 deductible and I really didn't even know about it until I called my agent several years ago when I cracked one.

I would first check to see if you insurance would cover and to how much. They would probably have someone they use repair it for you.

I've only used the the companies that come to your location and repair/install the windshield just for convenience sake.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several years ago I had a windshield replaced by Royal Glass which cracked two days after it was installed. Seemed like a stress fracture due to a faulty installation but Royal wouldn't replace it. Said I had taken a rock too small to leave a mark. BS.

Anyway, I spoke to my insurance agent (State Farm) who recomended I go to a different shop because there was nothing they SF, who paid for the windshield, could do to get Royal to admit to thier mistake. The interesting part of this story is my agent said that it was within my rights (as a policy holder) to demand an OEM windshield. I did not have to get an aftermarket replacement. The aftermarket was $150. The OEM was $600. Needless to say, I had the OEM installed and never had another problem after that.

My expereience with aftermarket windshields is that they Suck. They seem to chip/crack much faster than the one that came with your car. Check with your agent. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

thanks for the tip - i'll do that. My dad used to call them "JOE" parts.
Nothing beats original Equip.

Originally Posted by michael3314
Several years ago I had a windshield replaced by Royal Glass which cracked two days after it was installed. Seemed like a stress fracture due to a faulty installation but Royal wouldn't replace it. Said I had taken a rock too small to leave a mark. BS.

Anyway, I spoke to my insurance agent (State Farm) who recomended I go to a different shop because there was nothing they SF, who paid for the windshield, could do to get Royal to admit to thier mistake. The interesting part of this story is my agent said that it was within my rights (as a policy holder) to demand an OEM windshield. I did not have to get an aftermarket replacement. The aftermarket was $150. The OEM was $600. Needless to say, I had the OEM installed and never had another problem after that.

My expereience with aftermarket windshields is that they Suck. They seem to chip/crack much faster than the one that came with your car. Check with your agent. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Advanced

Where to do it?

Our TL was only about a month old when it took a rock off the windshield and immediately developed a five-inch crack. The insurance company (Pemco) is great, gave me a claim number over the phone and told me to go anywhere I want to get it fixed, I only pay the first $50. I definitely want the OEM part, any recommendations on where? Will the dealer even do it? I would think that a good collision repair shop would do a better job than the auto glass place, but not sure they'd do it either. Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ntaylor
Our TL was only about a month old when it took a rock off the windshield and immediately developed a five-inch crack. The insurance company (Pemco) is great, gave me a claim number over the phone and told me to go anywhere I want to get it fixed, I only pay the first $50. I definitely want the OEM part, any recommendations on where? Will the dealer even do it? I would think that a good collision repair shop would do a better job than the auto glass place, but not sure they'd do it either. Thoughts?
The dealers and the body shops both use glass companies to replace auto glass. You may want to check with your insurance company to see if they have recomendations on who to use. Definately you should get OEM glass probably PPG due to the proximity to the manufacturing plants. No need to add a dealer or a body shop layer to what it costs to get the job done. Most glass shops will eat the deductible for you because they make good money on these jobs. In this weather take it to a shop where they will do the work indoors. Bad idea to have it done in the cold like the come to you places often do. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro

I had a chip in my camaro before we sold it. I have the $0 deducitble on glass.

They sent a new OEM windshield out on a truck and the guy replaced it right in my driveway. I never had any trouble with it and it was one of the easiest repairs I had ever had done. No headaches at all.

Call a couple glass companies and ask if they work with your insurance and use OEM replacements. Full glass coverage is pretty standard around here and I often get calls fishing to do the repair. It doesn't cost me anything, so all they have to do is find chipped windshields to replace and get paid by the insurance. I don't think they could try any harder to be nice and helpful.

Good luck with it.