Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows Tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows Tint

Well, I just my windows tinted. I went with Llmar titanium. No interference with the navi or the radio. However, I have one problem. I noticed rear defroster lines gives off a lot of glare and reflections at night. It's like seeing thounds of haloish lines behind me. It's almost unbareable driving on the free way at night. Is it because it's still moist and has to settle in first?

All my previous cars had tinted windows before, but I never noticed this problem. Man, it's been so long since I had a new car, maybe I just forgotten. Any info. would be greatly appreciate it. TIA.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Banned

Re: Windows Tint

Originally posted by dtchung
However, I have one problem. I noticed rear defroster lines gives off a lot of glare and reflections at night. It's like seeing thounds of haloish lines behind me. It's almost unbareable driving on the free way at night. Is it because it's still moist and has to settle in first?

TIA.
I used Diamond Tint Film for their nationwide lifetime guarantee including scratches or even a broken window. Mine were the same way as you describe yours with the distortion when new. However, after a week it was back to normal again. Yours, if properly adhered, should be fine in a short period of time.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Dumb question here.

Did they also put Tint into the window in front of 3rd brake? I mean whether the tint shop cuts/adheres the tint film around the 3rd brake light or they just carefully insert the tint film into the whole rear window...

Someone tinting his window ever complained the 3rd brake light was reflected back to him 'cause of the bad tint installation.

Thanks...
Old 01-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rets
Dumb question here.

Did they also put Tint into the window in front of 3rd brake? I mean whether the tint shop cuts/adheres the tint film around the 3rd brake light or they just carefully insert the tint film into the whole rear window...

Someone tinting his window ever complained the 3rd brake light was reflected back to him 'cause of the bad tint installation.

Thanks...

Well, I had a choice, and I went with whole window tint, covering the 3rd brake light. There is a casing around that 3rd brake light that can be popped off. I haven't noticed any light reflecting back. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Windows Tint

Originally posted by Z Factor
Mine were the same way as you describe yours with the distortion when new. However, after a week it was back to normal again. Yours, if properly adhered, should be fine in a short period of time.

Thanks for your info. I really appreciate it!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Got mine done today at Rollin Sound in Jacksonville.. Very good job.... went legal 35/20 I think, and they used 3M because I had a concern about any tints with metalic pieces the the GPS. I did not cover the 3rd brake light... .02
Old 01-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
dtchung,

Mine were the same way. I got Llumar Centaur I think (no telling what they really put on there). I saw some haziness and at night headlights were a little blurry. But after a few days (maybe a week), everything was fine. I have 20% on the back window.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Rocketsfan
dtchung,

Mine were the same way. I got Llumar Centaur I think (no telling what they really put on there). I saw some haziness and at night headlights were a little blurry. But after a few days (maybe a week), everything was fine. I have 20% on the back window.
Thank you all for your input. My problem isn't really hazing though. Yeah, my description was rather vague. My problem is reflection off of defroster lines.

if O O are headlights from other cars, this is what I see.

- -
--- ---
--- ---
O O
--- ---
--- ---
- -

Dashes represent light reflections off rear defroster lines. It's only been a day since I got it tinted. I hope this goes away. It's driving up the wall, unacceptable. I haven't noticed these reflection lines before on any other cars with tinted windows, including my old cars.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Windows Tint

Well, I just my windows tinted. I went with Llmar titanium.
I have Llumar Titanium also. I had it done late November and I had a similar problem, also a few small bubbles. The tint guy pointed them out and said they would disappear in a couple of weeks but if not he'd redo the tint. Now after 2 months no colours, no bubbles and all is fine. Try to get as much sun on the tint as you can as he said that's what cures the tint more quickly.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Windows Tint

Originally posted by Jss1
I have Llumar Titanium also. I had it done late November and I had a similar problem, also a few small bubbles. The tint guy pointed them out and said they would disappear in a couple of weeks but if not he'd redo the tint. Now after 2 months no colours, no bubbles and all is fine. Try to get as much sun on the tint as you can as he said that's what cures the tint more quickly.
Thanks for your help. Did you understand what I was talking about from the post before about the reflection off defroster lines? About how long did it take before it went away?

I noticed some bubbles myself, but the bubbles were located at the edge of the windows. Almost looks as though it didn't adhere at all. It's about 1/8" That seems almost too big to be just normal air bubble. Good thing I have lifetime warrenty.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Windows Tint

Thanks for your help. Did you understand what I was talking about from the post before about the reflection off defroster lines? About how long did it take before it went away?
I had some reflection when lights from the car behind me hit at a certain angle, like a rainbow. The tint guy said it was the liquid between the tint and window and would disapear when it cured. After a couple of weeks I didn't notice it anymore. If you have a problem after a month just take it back and have them redo the back window. The bubbles should go away but you have to give it lots of sun.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Windows Tint

Originally posted by Jss1
I had some reflection when lights from the car behind me hit at a certain angle, like a rainbow. The tint guy said it was the liquid between the tint and window and would disapear when it cured. After a couple of weeks I didn't notice it anymore. If you have a problem after a month just take it back and have them redo the back window. The bubbles should go away but you have to give it lots of sun.
I usually park my car to avoid sun light, but I guess I should try to park elsewhere for next few days. Too bad it's winter time when we get less day light
Old 01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Racer

I found a thread on the tintdude message board where someone is having a similar distortion problem.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....0&#entry100589
Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone having issues with the tint getting scratched when lowering the window? Some folks have been talking about this....Also, is there any issues with NAVI and metallized tint?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kona
I found a thread on the tintdude message board where someone is having a similar distortion problem.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....0&#entry100589
Thanks for this thread. Man, that sucks, because this is driving me up the wall. Will getting non-metallic tint reduce this effect?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by gbriank
Anyone having issues with the tint getting scratched when lowering the window? Some folks have been talking about this....Also, is there any issues with NAVI and metallized tint?
I'm not sure about rolling windows down, but I got a metallized tint and it doesn't seem to affect GPS. However, I got a medium tint (35%), so there aren't too many metal particle to begin with. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to take longer to find the satellite signal. You can tell by the word GPS on upper left display. If it's white, no signal. When it's green, signal found...
Old 01-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Racer

Originally posted by gbriank
Anyone having issues with the tint getting scratched when lowering the window?
Yes, here's a recent link.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=65819