3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tinting -- pull out the rear deck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
cmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window tinting -- pull out the rear deck?

I just picked up a new 07 and need to get the windows tinted. I'm picky -- really really picky. Seeing how tight the rear deck is, is it better to have the installer pull the rear deck out so you don't get fuzz under the tint? What have your experience been? I've had minor fuzz on the last 2 sedans I've owned.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cmd
I just picked up a new 07 and need to get the windows tinted. I'm picky -- really really picky. Seeing how tight the rear deck is, is it better to have the installer pull the rear deck out so you don't get fuzz under the tint? What have your experience been? I've had minor fuzz on the last 2 sedans I've owned.
You can try that, but I don't think it'll help. That shit's everywhere... in the air etc. It's virtually impossble to not get a small bit of "fuzz" or impurity on a piece of tint so large without it coming from the factory that way.

Removing the rear deck would set an expectation of perfection, which is near impossible. Don't accept crap, but realize there's noone in the world who can do this perfectly lint free outside a overpressurized clean room... which no tint shop I've ever seen has.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Ours is nearly flawless (maybe got lucky) and they didn't have to remove the rear deck.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Ours is nearly flawless (maybe got lucky) and they didn't have to remove the rear deck.
So is mine... but this guy he is "really really picky". I work with people like this... the fact that "nearly" was used to describe perfection will not suffice to these folks.

I'm trying to suggest tot eh OP that it's not worth having an anyeurism over if a few pieces of lint makes it's way to the tint... It's inevitable.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM
cmd
Instructor

Geez this forum is rough... I don't believe in perfection, but believe in taking pride in what you do. I picked up a car once where the tint was creased over half way down one window. They hoped I didn't notice -- or care. If that is how I ran my business I'd be out of work.

Let me clarify, I'm not talking about lint or dust, but fuzz -- fabric fuzz were the window and deck come together. You really don't want it small carpet fibers in your tint (looks like hair). I'm just trying to avoid it this time as the area looks even tighter than my other cars.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree about extreme fussiness, but honestly if you deal with a Professional installer there will be no problem.

I watched my tint guy when he did my rear deck, and he used 6" wide low-tack clear tape to hold the carpet mat down when he did the rear window. There is absolutely zero fuzz under my rear window tint.

Perhaps you might suggest that to your installer, or even bring some along to have him use when he does yours. IMO, it's a better solution to removing the rear deck.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM
cmd
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I agree about extreme fussiness, but honestly if you deal with a Professional installer there will be no problem.

I watched my tint guy when he did my rear deck, and he used 6" wide low-tack clear tape to hold the carpet mat down when he did the rear window. There is absolutely zero fuzz under my rear window tint.

Perhaps you might suggest that to your installer, or even bring some along to have him use when he does yours. IMO, it's a better solution to removing the rear deck.
Very good suggestion. I'll try that.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cmd
Very good suggestion. I'll try that.
Hey, perhaps I can help...

Honestly, a good tinter with the proper tools will not need to remove the rear deck. When my guys did my back window there were no problems whatsoever.

Also, while dust is a common problem in tinting, you can minimize most of it by having a clean shop and the proper technique. Sometimes a speck or two will slip in but in all honesty thats unavoidable. As long as they take their time and are careful you shouldn't have any visible lint on that window.

Ask to see a few of their back windows, and remind them that this is something your concerned about and will be inspecting before paying.

Post pics when you have em.
Collin
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
cmd - taken with the above posts on a "professional shop/installer" I think the condition of my car had an impact on the care and quality of the tint install.

The car was only a couple weeks old and I had detailed (clay, polish, wax, etc) just a day or 2 before tinting. It looked *outstanding*. I think that gave the installers a positive impression. After the install, I paid got my receipt, etc and went around the side to get my car. The techs were standing there taking a smoke break and admiring their work. They really took pride in the job they did and how it enhanced the *overall* look of the car.

Based on your comments, I have no doubt your car looks good; a nice touch up just before you take it in might help "set the tone".
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
The Taz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

ChicagoBurbs, where did you get your tint done? What did they charge? Knowing how strict they are here in Chicagoland (I live in Streamwood) about tinting side windows; did you get all 4 side windows tinted? What percent tint did you get done?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 AM
cuwnicu

tint

i jus redid my tint today...i had 35 and i changed it to 5 percent...it was the first time i watched them tint the windows and he took out the rear deck put the tint on and it looks great...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TheTaz
ChicagoBurbs, where did you get your tint done? What did they charge? Knowing how strict they are here in Chicagoland (I live in Streamwood) about tinting side windows; did you get all 4 side windows tinted? What percent tint did you get done?

PM'ed you with info...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
The Taz

PM'ed you with info...
ChicagoBurbs, can you try again. My account was set to not receive emails from other members. It was set up to receive emails from moderators/admins only.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 AM
cuwnicu

chicago burbs

i got it done at soundwaves over in canoga park ca...i did all 4 windows the rear window and the back side panels for 180 and i got all of it 5 % tint...and a few weeks before that i blacked out all the yellow on my headlights and the reflectors on the side of my tl for about 60...its lookin really fresh il post up some pics
Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Pro

I got mine done by a guy who does a great job. Period. Installed the tints, double felt on all four doors, and got 99% of the rear quarter windows without removing the glass from the door (something most tint shops appear not to able to do). He charged me $305. A bit more than some of the shops in the area, but Dave is a perfectionist who will spend about 4 hours installing your tints. He's done several of my cars, and I've yet to see a single bubble or any peeling or scratching anywhere. And he guarantees his work unconditionally. It's a real pleasure to deal with him, he is just so careful.

http://www.dgtint.com/

Dave's Glass Tinting
Palatine, IL
847-609-1610

He works out of a glass shop in Naperville.

Good luck with Dave!

Dan