Sponsored by:

Window Tint % on NBP w/ Tan Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint % on NBP w/ Tan Interior?

Hey guys,

I know there's a couple threads on tinting but I couldn't really find any posts that mentioned interior color. I know the interior can effect how dark the tint looks so I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on how dark to get my windows tinted? I drive an '07 NBP with tan interior. Pictures (from inside and outside if possible!) would help a lot as well if you have the same color combination as me!

Thanks guys!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
which state you live in??
its all about what is legal and whats not, I have NBP with black interior, had 20% all around, got pulled over couple of times than changed the tint to 35% legal limit, with black interior it still looks dark, if i were you go with 20% if its ok in your state, otherwise no higher than 35%
here are some pics of my current 35% tint...

Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a NBP TL or any pictures with the door open. However, I do have a Silver TL Type-S with a new tint job and taupe interior (close to tan). I was trying to decide between 20% or 15%. I went with LLumar Formula One 15% tint and I am glad I did. If I had black interior, I probably would have went with 20%. Here in SC the cops aren't bad (knock on wood). Here are a few pics for anyone interested.

Two shots right after I left the shop and parked in my lot at work:

Finally, here it is with the glass all cleaned up. Whatever they cleaned my windows with left streaks all over the outside and down the doors.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
4th Gear

I live in Oklahoma, and from what I understand the cops here aren't too bad about tint being too dark. I have plenty of friends who have 5% tint all around and haven't had problems.

@Sixth_Gear: Do you have any pictures directly from the side of the car in the sunlight? If so I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Heres for everyone and there state for Tint Laws

http://www.tintworld.com/images/AUTOMOTIVE-LAWS.pdf

right click on it and you can zoom to actual size... I recently bought julys issue of modified and they threw this link out so it is current. there is a website that gets updated just incase there is changed. i just gotta grab the magazine out of my car.

EDITl Sixth gear they take your windows out? I want to get mine redone because they didnt take them out, so i got nasty outlines.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Advanced

They didn't take my windows out, and I don't really have outlines. I have silver with taupe interior. Light interior needs darker tint imo. I have 15% all around and in daylight outside u can still see through it a bit. Even with pictures..it's hard to tell from online because the camera can change the exposure, depends on angle and day light/how far away you are etc. Just get legal tint if they hassle you around your area. In TX they don't really pull people over for tint.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 AM
The One

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Anything 20% or lower on the tint and the interior won't matter. Cause you won't see it. Check the tint law & then make a decision.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Racer

The back back windows you can tell if they took the window out or not. interior or not.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With a tan interior I would recommend an amber tint!!! Had it on a 2000 BMW 328i and had my cousins car tinted yesterday in a 35% amber tint!! LOOKS AMAZING!!!!! I will try to take a picture of it later on today and post a picture so you can see what it looks like...
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by oneonlywgs
Anything 20% or lower on the tint and the interior won't matter. Cause you won't see it. Check the tint law & then make a decision.
That's not completely true. Tan interior WILL make a difference, especially on the back window with the rear deck. It just depends on what you're going for: dark tint or blacked out.

OP - I have tan interior and bought my TL with the tint already on it. I believe it to be either 25% or 20%, but gun to my head I would say 25%. Here's my advice, in retrospect.
I like my tint BUT I wish it was just a LITTLE bit darker. If I end up getting my tint redone this is what I would do, given my tan interior:

1. Go 20% on all side windows
2. MAKE SURE that they completely tint your rear quarter windows, as well as the rear window. DO NOT let them get away with leaving strips on your quarter windows or cutting around your rear window brake light. Some shops tell you they can't tint the entire quarter window underneath the seal, which is BS. It can be done and you will be sorry if you don't get it done right. My car wasn't done right (quarter windows and rear brake light) when I bought it and now I'm considering getting the whole car redone.
3. I would recommend getting the very rear window tinted a shade darker than your side windows, because of your tan interior. Because of how close the tan rear deck is to the back window it makes the tint look much lighter than the rest of the car. If you get the rear window tinted in a darker shade then it will match better. I will do this without a doubt, in retrospect. Also, a darker rear tint will let in less light which will make your side windows look darker. For this reason, you would probably be very happy with 25% if you end up going darker on your rear window.

Also, something I'm considering, but I don't recommend, is tinting my windshield. I would go a very light percentage... definitely no darker than 50%, but I'm considering it for a couple of reasons. A little more UV/heat protection for my car, more protection from the sun for my dash, and to make the rest of my tint appear darker. Again, I'm only considering it and don't recommend it.

If the tint shop can match the rest of my windows, I may just get the tint shop to re-tint my quarter windows and my rear window. Like I said, I would go a little darker on the rear because of the tan deck, but otherwise I'm happy with my existing side windows tint. My point in telling you this is that if you get the rest of the car done right, you would be happy with 25% on the sides.

Anyway, there's my on tinting a car with tan interior. Hope this helps.

EDIT*** OP, looking back, I remembered that you had a NBP and also are from Oklahoma. Two things: In my opinion, dark tint on a dark car stands out much more than dark tint on a white or light colored car. I have a WDP and even though I'm below the legal limit in MD (35%) I have never had trouble with it. It might be riskier for you with a black car. It looks like the legal limit in OK is 25%, so I would just go with that. It's very dark, will look darker on an NBP, is legal, and if you do the rear window a shade darker will be more than adequate (I don't care for blacked out tint because I think you lose the "classy" aspect). Since your legal limit is 25% I would just go with that... 20% wouldn't be difference enough to justify being illegal, and it's always nice to have the peace of mind that you have no worries about getting a tint ticket. Just my

Last edited by jsonkimz; 06-24-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2005 NBP and I got 20% all around and a ten inch tin strip. Looks great. Definately dark enough. I have gotten 1 warning so far on the tint but most cops will leave you alone with 20%. Here in Georgia the legal limit is 32%.

Heres a couple pics...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Advanced

O just to clarify, mine has the tan interior as well!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have nbp with camel interior as well. Check my sig for tint specs. My tint guy talked me into getting my front windshield done as well, told me he had it on his car for years and never had trouble with it. So we'll see how that goes. But as it is, the tint is perfect on my car. The front windshield helps out a lot I'm sure as far as making it look darker. He also tinted my sunroof 5% free of charge so I just ride around with the sunroof cover thingy open. Kind of like a poor man's panoramic sunroof. And I have carbon based tint, which he told me gives it more of a black look which makes it look a tad darker. I would post pictures but I'm a hopeless noob and don't know how.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zbarbato016
I have a 2005 NBP and I got 20% all around and a ten inch tin strip. Looks great. Definately dark enough. I have gotten 1 warning so far on the tint but most cops will leave you alone with 20%. Here in Georgia the legal limit is 32%.

Heres a couple pics...

I wouldn't personally rock your rims on my car but DAYUM they're sick. Very unique. They're not my style but I respect the design if that makes any sense.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by henrokk
I wouldn't personally rock your rims on my car but DAYUM they're sick. Very unique. They're not my style but I respect the design if that makes any sense.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
35% all around looks real nice and clean IMO. Its legal in most states, and you can see decently out at night.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
4th Gear

@zbarbato016: Thanks for the pictures, they're just what I was looking for.

Does anyone else have pictures of 15% tint on a NBP with tan interior? I'm trying to decide between 15% and 20%. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Ok let me clarify something here. To have a fair comparison and discussion we have to make sure we are discussing the same brand tints. Without this information this conversation wont be accurate. I can tell you right off e bat that a 20% tint from 3M vs 20% LLUMAR tints will appear very different on an NBP w/ parchment interior. How do I know? Cuz I'm the ideot that got a tint job 3x cuz I didn't realize in the beginning.

Basically 20% from 3M is darker than 20% from LLUMAR. I originally tinted my car with 20% from LUMAR and wow it was like I never got tints. I then had it redone with 15% and it looked much better but even then on a bright sunny day you can see right through. But it's really not that bad.

I then had it redone a few years later with 20% from 3M and since it's charcoal shaded tint it appears to be slightly darker than 15% from LLUMAR and I love it!! I also have my Front Windshield tinted 40% and that's the real key with tan interior to balance out the whole car.

You can click the link in my sig to see pics!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

@AMach - no, I don't have any pictures from the side in the sun. I can try to get some this weekend if you'd like to see. I can see through the windows if the sun is shining through the windshield and I'm looking from the rear, out the windshield. Not so much side to side (if that makes sense).

@Drewman752 - no, they did not take my windows out. They did cut out around the brake light in the rear window, which I wish they wouldn't have. Oh well, the rest looks pretty good.

I am happy with the tint job. I too was going back and forth on 15% or 20% for a week. The 15% was exactly what I was looking for - not crazy blacked out but just enough "privacy." All my previous cars had tint and I literally did not like driving this car without it. After 15 years & 4 cars with tint, it just felt weird driving one without it. Hard to explain to others but that's how I felt.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Instructor

not on tan interior but i have the quartz/gray interior but this is 3m ceramic 15%

in Florida the legal limit is 28% on the front side windows then 15% on the backs but i went 15% all the way around and have never been hassled by any police. All my other cars have been 5% limo and have never been questioned by the police but its been difficult to see out at night.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Ok let me clarify something here. To have a fair comparison and discussion we have to make sure we are discussing the same brand tints. Without this information this conversation wont be accurate. I can tell you right off e bat that a 20% tint from 3M vs 20% LLUMAR tints will appear very different on an NBP w/ parchment interior. How do I know? Cuz I'm the ideot that got a tint job 3x cuz I didn't realize in the beginning.

Basically 20% from 3M is darker than 20% from LLUMAR. I originally tinted my car with 20% from LUMAR and wow it was like I never got tints. I then had it redone with 15% and it looked much better but even then on a bright sunny day you can see right through. But it's really not that bad.

I then had it redone a few years later with 20% from 3M and since it's charcoal shaded tint it appears to be slightly darker than 15% from LLUMAR and I love it!! I also have my Front Windshield tinted 40% and that's the real key with tan interior to balance out the whole car.

You can click the link in my sig to see pics!
Thanks for the tip! The place I'm taking it to uses LLUMAR tint. What color combination is your car? As of right now I'm sort of leaning towards 15% but that can definitely change.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Pro

You also have to consider the "mod" factor on your car as to how much attention you'll draw from "the fuzz." My car is completely stock and so I don't draw a lot of attention from police. So I don't get hassled for my tint. If you're dropped with flashy wheels and a loud exhaust the chances that you'll get more attention and possibly a tint ticket increases dramatically.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMach
Thanks for the tip! The place I'm taking it to uses LLUMAR tint. What color combination is your car? As of right now I'm sort of leaning towards 15% but that can definitely change.
He has tan interior.

Elegant - what's your opinion on the 40% windshield? I'm considering getting mine done but don't want to gain any police attention. Ive not been given a second look with my 25% all around and I'm afraid windshield tint might change that. I was thinking 50%. Thoughts? Does that scream, "pull me over!"?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by AMach
I will strongly urge you to get 3M rather than LLUMAR since LLUMAR uses metal in their tint..... don't know if they have new products now.. you'll have to do some research but I know the LLUMAR platinum plus has it and it will affect your radio reception slightly.

If you still go with LLUMAR... go with 15% all around first. And then see how you like it and if you want it a little bit darker.. then go back and get your windshield tinted 50%. Having the windshield tinted is awesome... never need sunglasses.

If going with the 3M then go with the 20% all around and 40% on the windshield if you desire slightly darker.

Originally Posted by jsonkimz
He has tan interior.

Elegant - what's your opinion on the 40% windshield? I'm considering getting mine done but don't want to gain any police attention. Ive not been given a second look with my 25% all around and I'm afraid windshield tint might change that. I was thinking 50%. Thoughts? Does that scream, "pull me over!"?
How and why are you on this site? LMAO.. I'm just playing... but yes I have tan interior. And getting 50% windshield tint... is awesome and will be so easy on the eyes in the sun and prevent the dashboard fade and cracking.