3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife left MILK on seat, leather rock hard!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wife left MILK on seat, leather rock hard!!!!!!

Ok, I am REALLY pissed right now. I got my 06TL one week ago and my wife took it to work. She took her breakfast and spilled milk on the seat. She did not realize that she spilled milk on the seat (perforated area) until today (TWO DAYS LATER!). I wiped the area but the soft leather where the milk spilt is now hard as a rock and deformed into the shape of the stain. Also the leather takes on a cracked look when I press it. It looks like old leather in that area. Is there any way to fix/recondition the leather to be soft again and lose the stain shape or am I going to have to get the leather redone in the car [cringe]. I have had leather redone in other cars and it is not pretty. The grain/color never matches unless you get the whole interior re-done. I am PISSED!! The car is only a week old and she screws it up the third time she uses it!!! I should not be suprised since she is so careless with everything. She leaves the garage door open sometimes, the fridge door open, the stove burner on low when she thinks it's off, swings her car door open ito a pole, etc, etc, etc. I am so pissed because I want to keep this car for a long time but she trashes everything without even trying!

Any hope or fixing the leather without replacing it?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't know how you can fix it, But I would soak that area like crazy with leather conditioner.

also..get some leather cleaner too.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Racer

any specific type/brand of cleaner/conditioner I should get?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Lexol seems to work fine for me. Sorry to hear about the accident, I know how frustrating it is when even the smallest thing about your car is just not right.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Racer

Lightbulb

You may want to ask this question in the Wash & Wax forum.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:41 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to have to get back to you unless you have already tried the suggestions above, I have a manual at work and would like to look at what's under the leather before I suggest you take a sponge to soften the milk ( under the seat cushion they may be some coils that heat it so I would be cautiousnot to soak it), afterwards I would apply either saddle soap By KIWI or Lexol on a regular bases until the leasther feels soft to the touch...good luck and as I recommend to those who share cars, set rules such as no eating or smoking inside the car, it leaves the car smelling like food and can prevent arguments later on as is your case, it's not worth getting mad at the woman you wanted to spend the rest of your life with, unless she broke the rule then DIVORCE comes to mind...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Racer

Just make sure you get all the milk residue out soon. Otherwise your car will smell like rotten milk/vomit in a week.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by davenlei
Ok, I am REALLY pissed right now. I got my 06TL one week ago and my wife took it to work. She took her breakfast and spilled milk on the seat. She did not realize that she spilled milk on the seat (perforated area) until today (TWO DAYS LATER!). I wiped the area but the soft leather where the milk spilt is now hard as a rock and deformed into the shape of the stain. Also the leather takes on a cracked look when I press it. It looks like old leather in that area. Is there any way to fix/recondition the leather to be soft again and lose the stain shape or am I going to have to get the leather redone in the car [cringe]. I have had leather redone in other cars and it is not pretty. The grain/color never matches unless you get the whole interior re-done. I am PISSED!! The car is only a week old and she screws it up the third time she uses it!!! I should not be suprised since she is so careless with everything. She leaves the garage door open sometimes, the fridge door open, the stove burner on low when she thinks it's off, swings her car door open ito a pole, etc, etc, etc. I am so pissed because I want to keep this car for a long time but she trashes everything without even trying!

Any hope or fixing the leather without replacing it?
I feel your pain, this happened with a car of mine (not the TL), a couple of years ago I had a brand spanking new Jeep Cherokee with tan upholstery on the seats and within my first two weeks I went out with some friends to go bowling, when we were coming back I made the mistake of allowing one of them to carry his soda with him and you can guess what happened, within 5 minutes the guy spilled about half a can of dark, sticky coke on my seat, as much as tried to clean it up the seat never looked the same, I hope you have better luck

PS From your post it sounds like the leather is not your biggest problem, you should work out these issues or else she might end up with half of your TL
Old 01-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Instructor

www.zainostore.com

check this stuff out it might work

and if you do have to replace the leather buy the leather cover fron your acura dealer. it is replaceable i do it almost every day
its the origional seat cover so it matches 100%
Old 01-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Shesh, why are women so freakin' dumb sometimes??? I doubt she didn't know that the milk spilled on the seat, she just didn't try to clean it up right when it happened. What BS! Anyway, I would try and use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner, it is the best product on the market. Also, don't be too worried about the electric heater in the seat. Then, after you get the stain cleaned up, have a talk with your wife. It seems that her carelessness may get you into deeper trouble than you need. How does someone leave the fridge door open and just walk away. Btw, is she blonde??
Old 01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DocTL
Shesh, why are women so freakin' dumb sometimes???
Ever heard of the Darwin awards? 90% of those people were men.

At least one of these "my wife/girlfriend did something to my car" threads comes up every week. Accidents happen to both sexes, some people are more prone to them than others.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:17 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this is horrible and I am going to get hammered for this but since the car is only a week old, could you take it back and say that you just noticed the spot and that you want them to clean it? extremely unethical but that doesnt seem to be a problem for some of the members I have seen here. (i am not call ing you unethical either...)
Old 01-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AMIC
Ever heard of the Darwin awards? 90% of those people were men.

At least one of these "my wife/girlfriend did something to my car" threads comes up every week. Accidents happen to both sexes, some people are more prone to them than others.
No argument here my friend.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Mofo

Divorce her
Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Racer

Red face

Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone. I will look into the Lexol/Zaino and start applying it. I took a look at it again this morning and at least the milky white look is gone but it is still hard and kinda looks like semi melted plastic. I am sure that is because the milk had seeped under the leather into the underlining and crusted itself. For anyone wanting to know, the area affected is about 6" round.

In answering the questions above, she is not blonde. She is actually extremely smart but I would call it book smart. She has a CIS degree and graduated in the top 10% of her class when getting her MBA from a university ranked in the top 25 in the nation. I guess she just has no common sense.
She did not realize the milk spilt until two days later when she confronted me about the white stain. through walking the last two days backwards, she realized she had milk in the car two days ago and the bag leaked but did not put two and two together to think that the leaking bag would have left stuff on the seat.
It also crossed my mind to pass the buck to Acura about the leather but I don't want to do that since karma (sp?) will come back around and I want to set a good example about being responsible for our actions to my young son.

BTW, does the Lexol/Zaino change the appearance of the leather (shiny, etc.) or color?
Old 01-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

If all else fails you could ask your dealer to replace the leather cover. You will have to pay for the materials and labor, but it will match. Here is the parts list from acuraparts247
Old 01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
If all else fails you could ask your dealer to replace the leather cover. You will have to pay for the materials and labor, but it will match. Here is the parts list from acuraparts247
Getting back to the topic at hand, I agree with this suggestion. I know that I am a very anal person and I would notice it and think about it everytime I got in the car. Since the car is very new, I would want it to always look new when I got in. I would spend the money to get it replaced. I also would institute a policy of no food or drinks in the car unless you bought it from the store and it is in it's sealed package. After almost 9 months this policy is still in place for my car. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced

...BTW, does the Lexol/Zaino change the appearance of the leather (shiny, etc.) or color?
Leather is pretty resilient, you should be okay as long as you don't scrub the surface with an abrasive. You should have no problem if you use the product as outlined by the instructions. I use the Lexol products on my NSX interior and I've reconditioned it pretty well over the years, but I've never spilled milk on a seat. Oh well, $hit happens. Btw I didn't intend to offend you or your wife previously, I just couldn't resist the urge.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Racer

Hey DocTL,

No offense taken at all. I think that the comments made on the message boards are pretty humorous. Especially when someone gets their panties in a bunch about what someone else said to them. I take everything said jokingly. I am pretty even tempered unless I feel like I am being wronged or scammed. If that occurs, well, lets just say that everyone that knows me steers clear of me until I am calm again because I become a steamroller. I guess it's that Irish temper in me.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Instructor

zaino works wonders and leaves no greasy stuff on seat my TL has grey leather
it didnot change the color

the wax is great also!!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Instructor

all I can say is try to clean it up as quickly as possible or as another poster said it's going to get rank quick. if it's possible try to get the leather off the cushion. In my old Taurus SHO my wife wen to get groceries and she didn't put the gallon of milk in the net. the gallon of milk busted open and soaked all the insulation in the trun and under the back seat. I did do anything for a couple of weeks and the smell was extremely bad. I ended up disasembling the entire interior on the rear of the car washed evetything and then had to replace all the insulation
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone. I will look into the Lexol/Zaino and start applying it. I took a look at it again this morning and at least the milky white look is gone but it is still hard and kinda looks like semi melted plastic. I am sure that is because the milk had seeped under the leather into the underlining and crusted itself. For anyone wanting to know, the area affected is about 6" round.

In answering the questions above, she is not blonde. She is actually extremely smart but I would call it book smart. She has a CIS degree and graduated in the top 10% of her class when getting her MBA from a university ranked in the top 25 in the nation. I guess she just has no common sense.
She did not realize the milk spilt until two days later when she confronted me about the white stain. through walking the last two days backwards, she realized she had milk in the car two days ago and the bag leaked but did not put two and two together to think that the leaking bag would have left stuff on the seat.
It also crossed my mind to pass the buck to Acura about the leather but I don't want to do that since karma (sp?) will come back around and I want to set a good example about being responsible for our actions to my young son.

BTW, does the Lexol/Zaino change the appearance of the leather (shiny, etc.) or color?

That's rich, SHE confronted YOU about the stain?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

any specific type/brand of cleaner/conditioner I should get?
If you go to the Acura dealer, they should have some leather cleaner/conditioner..Ask them to help you out on how they think it iwll fix the problem. Sorry about your problem I would be pissed too!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Magnaflow Performance

My wife and I agree- no food or drinks (except bottled water) in the cars- period-

Unless you are picking up food in a drive through and then it will stay in the bag- no sodas in the drive through-

And when we have kids- it will be the same thing- no food or drinks in the cars-
Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
My wife and I agree- no food or drinks (except bottled water) in the cars- period-

Unless you are picking up food in a drive through and then it will stay in the bag- no sodas in the drive through-

And when we have kids- it will be the same thing- no food or drinks in the cars-
You say that now. 4 years from now when you got two car seats in the back. The seat will be littered with Cherrios, broken gold fish crackers and baby formula stains.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shodog
You say that now. 4 years from now when you got two car seats in the back. The seat will be littered with Cherrios, broken gold fish crackers and baby formula stains.
and that is why I have more than one car.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Yardie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got 2 car seats in the back of my TL. I put a liner in between the car seats and the leather. I also make sure to clean the inside of the car whenever I take the kids somewhere.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats a good starter list......

My wifes Z71 Sub needs bi-monthly "internal" hose downs just to resemble a vehicle vice a fast food restaurant/day care/cafeteria/craft center etc. etc..

Most women(mothers) look at cars differently.. Thats not a slam just a fact of life. They have allot on their plate most of the time and worrying about a few "messes" in the family truckster/mode of transportation is the least of their worries.

She does completely appreciate the way I clean it up though.

I would probably take vp911 and AMIC's advice.. Given the new car issue - If it doesn't come clean to your satisfaction I would be looking into an OEM seat bottom cover replacement..

Just don't keep reminding her of the issue.. Us men have a way of doing that when it comes to "our" cars... I'm sure she realizes your displeasure and wishes it never happened.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Racer

I read the title of this thread quickly and (mistakenly) thought it said something about MILF and rock hard... Anyway, my bad. I agree with what some other people have said - there's no use in crying over spilled milk. The issue as it stands is a small one (it's only a seat), but could become inflamed if you let the emotions get the better of you. I would pay to have the dealer replace or repair and use the whole incident as a way of drawing you and your wife closer. Women love it when a guy can make light of a situation that once seemed to own them...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Instructor

borrow or rent a steam cleaner, then zaino or lexol it. The steam cleaner is not really that hot but warm mosit heat will be better able to extract the residual milk. I have been married 32 years the basic rule with the wife and kids is no eating in the car. ( well my youngest did barf in one of may cars when she was about 8 mos old now 18 years old that car was never the same yuck) alternatley register and post on autopia.org a real neat car place about detailing and maintaning cars
Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
Exactly what I was gonna suggest. Dont even mess with it. Too new...just replace it.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Magnaflow Performance

The difference is I beleive that I actually married a car lover as well-

Ill never forget the first I found out- when we were dating- I knew she liked her car and I asked her if she would like to wash her car over at my place one Satruday morning-

SO she pulls up and I show her my supplies, and let her know if she has any questions on what some of this stuff does to let me know-

She then tells me its OK, she brought her own stuff- and she opens her truck and there is Lexol, Mothers Aluminum Polish (for her chrome wheels) Meguiars wax, exc exc exc-

She is very anal about cars as well-

If she wasnt anal about her car, I would have never gotten her that nice of a car, and would just let the kids destroy her car-
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Pro

I bet she just said sorry.... and went on like it wasn't a big deal.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell her she's lost all privilidges to the TL, she's on punishment!!! Sorry to hear about that. Anything that goes wrong with your car, especially when it's new hurts. Someone put about a 3" scratch in my baby when she was about 3 weeks old. I was not very happy about it. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for a new wife!!!! who the hell eats in a new car... tell her lose a few pounds or eat before driving... lol
Old 01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Time for a new wife!!!! who the hell eats in a new car... tell her lose a few pounds or eat before driving... lol

It sounds like that's what he is thinking too, I don't know if he was exaggerating but in his first post it sounded like he had real animosity
Old 01-12-2006, 12:00 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Start messing with her nonstop about how you are now questioning if this was REALLY milk or some other substance? She'll never do it again!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Team NightHawk VP

lesson: never make a dead cow drink its own milk
Old 01-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe this will help you feel better

Within 6 months, she curbed the wheels 2 different times, hit a concrete column, and hit the trash can twice. Some people can't focus while driving or parking. I've given up on it, I'm done washing detailing it weekly, because in 5 yrs it will be destroyed no matter how hard I try.

And this is the person that HAD to have a new one (when I tried to talk her into buying 1 less than a year old with 6K miles on it)
Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wilsel
Maybe this will help you feel better

Within 6 months, she curbed the wheels 2 different times, hit a concrete column, and hit the trash can twice. Some people can't focus while driving or parking. I've given up on it, I'm done washing detailing it weekly, because in 5 yrs it will be destroyed no matter how hard I try.

And this is the person that HAD to have a new one (when I tried to talk her into buying 1 less than a year old with 6K miles on it)
Can you tell me where you live so I make sure to stay away from your wife? She sounds like a dangerous driver

Quick Reply: Wife left MILK on seat, leather rock hard!!!!!!