Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would this happen???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would this happen???

I had a post couple of weeks ago regarding my water spot problem. The detail shop came back to me and said that the waters spots I have are not caused by Acid Rain. It's probably from a sprinkler that got burned to my paint. I have never been close to any sprinkler so I have no idea where it came from (rain maybe...). Nonetheless, why something like this would happen to a 3 week old car. There are hundreds of cars out there that's getting rained on and kept under the sun. Not all of them are having this same problem.. are they? Anyway, I am wondering if this is something that should be covered by Acura's warranty? What causes this problem? Even if I have this fixed, now I am terrified to leave my car under the sun.

Plese help....
Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pictures would help. If you can post some.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Instructor

A little Meguires red bottle 3 step system will help. Use the swirl mark remover one. I think it is the second step but I could be wrong. Then follow with a little bit of wax. Takes those hard water stains right out. I get some from sap/water whatever but usually 2-3 each washing. They come right off.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

I tried everything on this one. From vinegar to paint remover. There is no etching on the paint. Looking at the water spot itself, it seems like it's under the clear coat. I'll try to post some pictures when I get it back from my dealer tonight. I just don't know why would this happen to a new car? Or does it really matter wether your car is new or not? I guess I was hoping that they have some type of sealants to prevent this from happening on new cars. Anyway, is this something that should be covered by Acura's warranty. My feeling is yes as they have a no paint defect 3 years warranty. I think that this is a paint defect.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:15 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
jonrey, if this is below the clear coat then yes I think it should be covered by warranty. If the stains are there and are covered by clear coat only then I guess. ALl the best in getting it fixed. Did you already talked to dealer about this? What are they saying about fixing it under warranty?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Joganjani, my dealer sent it out to some detailing shop to have it polished/neutralized. They don't want to re-paint it yet as it's a new car. I spoke to the detailing shop and I was told that it's not Acid Rain but rather water marks that got burned in to my paint. He said that he'll try to get it off but maybe not 100%. I'll go check the car tonight and see if it's acceptable. If not, I want my dealer to fix it (paint if necessary). I just wanted to make sure that it is covered by the warranty in case they give me the run around. I checked my warrant book and Acura covers surface corrosion, including paint defect. I just can't accept the fact that a brand new car is so susceptible to this kind of issue.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

Had same problem with my NBP 2001 CL. Parked to close to a hotel underground sprinkler system which came on overnight and then water baked off during the day. Power polishing fixed most of it but when you got it in the right angle of the sun I could still see it after two years. The detail shop surmised that there was maybe fertilizers etc. in the system that marred the clear coat. So now I'm very careful not to park near boulevards and other grassy areas.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

They won't cover it under warranty. I had a Aegean Blue TL-S that spotted unbelievably. My Granite Green MDX didn't. I don't know whether certain Acura/Honda colors are more fragile or if the MDX (which was built in Canada) had different/better paint. Overall, I'd have to say the paint on both Acura's wasn't as durable as cars I had before or after.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a NBP 2002 TLS, and it had the same problem with water spotting. It was very highly polished and waxed, and it was unfortunately outside the garage one day when it rained very lightly, then the sun came out and burned spots into those pretty water beads we all love so much. It ruined the paint on the hood and trunk. I think dark colors like NBP are more likely to spot than light colors. I'm done with black cars!!!!!!!!!
Acura offered to repaint the hood and trunk under warranty, but I declined since the car was only a few months old. As a peace offering, they gave me a Comptech Exhaust system installed to keep me happy. I never did get the spots out, and eventually sold the car and now have an 04 Anthracite. So far, I haven't had any problems with this color, but I haven't had the same conditions occur either.....time will tell. It's just the new paint formulations EPA has dumped on us causing these problems...I've had black cars in the past and never had problems.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Team NightHawk VP

give this a try, use 50-50 mix with water and vinegar. this is what some detail shops do to "neutralize" the paint. it takes the wax off too but it takes the waterspots out, after that, just rewax it.

Cliff
Old 07-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How about clay?

I haven't seen anyone here mention trying a clay bar on the stains.

I've had great success removing water spots, paint overspray, and other assorted grunge from clearcoat finishes with Mothers Gold Clay Bar. Also, Clay Magic is another very good product for this. Easy and very safe to use if you follow the directions.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So we can't park near sprinklers now for the paint. Can't park in the sun or the headliner detaches. Can't park on the tires or they flatspot.

Soooooo everyone installs a side bar mounting garage lift that lifts the car up, turns it, (like the DysLexus LS430 commercial) and stores it upside down to keep the headliner flat.

Ok.. so i'm low on sugar this morning.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

I got my car yesterday and all the water spots are gone (well 98%). The guy told me that they have to wet sand the car to remove it. How can I prevent it from happening again.. he can't really tell. That's probably the last time I will be using my car. Or I will move some place where it never rains and it's never sunny. Anyway, thank you guys for all your inputs. I'll post some pictures.

Oops... by the way. I just noticed 10 water spots at the grooved of the hood. I'm thinking if I should bring it back... it never ends...