3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it that there seems to be a bunch of stolen TLs lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that there seems to be a bunch of stolen TLs lately?

Been reading here a bunch of stolen TLs?
Wonder if it is a wave or something...

If it is an inside job from the dealer service dept...here is an idea..

When you bring your car in for service and they ask for your address in the computer...put down a PO Box....

I'm getting worried about mine now
Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

I don't know anything about stolen TL's, but I know a guy who knows a guy that can get you a great deal on parts!

Just kidding....
Old 03-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't see it as a wave. Cars get stolen everyday, you just don't hear about it. As more people buy 3G TLs and join Acurazine, you'll read more about vehicles being stolen or involved in accidents. It doesn't mean the car is a target.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced

i only saw 2 posts on stolen tls...you call that a bunch?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

..its because..

We drive the nice machines!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:47 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The TL was the top sedan sold 30-40 thousand right? More sedans our there...more stolen...only makes sense!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Riu
2004 TL

I only saw 2 threads too.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As others have already said, I really don't think there is any reason to be alarmed. Over 100,000 3G TL's have been sold, and you here about 2-5 that have been stolen from members or friends of members of this forum. Think about it, that's less than 5/1000ths of a percent of TL's out there. If you look at the big picture, you'll sleep better at night .
Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yeah, I've only seen the two threads, too. It's certainly not a crime wave.

All I can say is....I'm glad I live someplace where people are more interested in stealing GMs than imports.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Last weekend wasn't so good for Acura,
My supervisor's acura got into an accident, (her fault)
My manager's acura got broken into, along with 30 other cars on his street
My gf's acura got stolen.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:31 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey im the one whos tl was stolen (on my boys account lol). my insurance company told me in my area alone covered by the same insurance company, mine was the 3rd TL stolen in 2 weeks. the last 2 turned up with no engine, no tranny and no interior. i think someone found the way to jack them and its going to happen alot more now. mark my words. mine was taken from my driveway while i was awake on my couch watching tv. no broken glass, no tow truck marks on my paver driveway. too clean to be random. theres more to it. something is up. be very careful guys. and for all you MT people... park in gear not in neutral and lock your sterring wheel. make it as hard as you can for them to take it. good luck guys im onto my next love.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is my post from the Stolen TL thread.

You are a little mistaken. First off there is no such thing as a master key for any car. Also, lets say they do have a T-code or SDD machine ($7k) for the transponder. They still need a pin code that is assigned to every vehicle before you can access the computer. This all takes time. I guess it's possible if someone works for a repo company or dealership to get the pin code to access the computer. The other way to steal the car is to obviously pick it up on a flat bed or dynamic.
However, why would one steal a TL? They really aren't the hot comodity like a civic or integra. So why would you go through all that work for a TL? Cars like this are usually done for insurance purposes. Not saying that's what is happening here. But, in a lot more cases than you may realize cars stolen that have transponder technology are usually done to get rid of a payment they can't really afford or a car they can't seem to get rid of for whatever reason.
Lo-Jack is a good system. Then again if they are professional theives they probably even have a connection at Lo-Jack to disconnect it. Also, they may know where they are installed. I mean they have to be professionals if they are bypassing transponders. Lo-Jack is not full proof though.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Here is my post from the Stolen TL thread.
what does lojack cost?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Instructor

I don't know about you guys but I would not care if my TL was stolen as long as I don't get it back.

I understand all the guys that spend a lot of money and time modding their cars then yes, but me I just have a 06 TL with a Lip spoiler. So if it gets stolen I will just go get another one, no big deal.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Doesn't the TL have a computer chip inside the key that has to pair with the cars computer to turn on the engine? just with this feature, I would think it would be very hard for thiefs to steal our car, but if they really want the car im guessing they would find a way around this.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

Angry

After looking through the forums here I figured this would be the best place to post my loss, and what I've found out.

I just had my Silver 04 TL stolen from San Francisco. I thought it might have been towed because I had to park it on the street this last week rather than in my garage (my son is working on a project right now). But I soon realized that it wasn't towed, and was in fact stolen!

So, I'm talking with the cops, and it turns out stolen TLs are a problem in the Bay Area (and I'm assuming other places as well). The cops told me that the 04 and 05 TLs are a favorite of thieves because they are easy to get into, and they make great getaway cars for using in crimes. Easy to get into? What?

One of the cops said they know for a fact that thieves have been using valet keys to get into cars. But I know I didn't leave my valet key in the car because I checked to see that I had my two master keys, and the valet key in my house.

It turns out that there is a fourth key that comes with your 04/05 TL. It's hidden in the back of the owners manual. It's a plastic emergency valet key. The problem is that the company that manufactured these valet keys for Honda made the key a master valet key in essence. This means that car thieves just need to get into a single 04 or 05 LT, grab the page out of the back of the owners manual, and they have an emergency valet key that will open any of the 04/05 TLs :o

I almost fell over when the cop told me this. I couldn't believe it would be that easy.

So I'm telling this story today to a group of people at the corner store where I shop, when one of the people in the store says they saw my car being stolen! But the woman didn't realize what was going on because the guy who stole my car had a key, opened up the door and took of in my car. She only realized that something was up when the guy that dropped off thief the (they were waiting in the drop-off car "talking" for about 5 minus she said) pealed out following my stolen car down the road.

When I called the cops to tell them what this woman saw they said that it wouldn't help unless she could identify them or had a plate of the drop-off car. He also told be that two other TLs have been stolen in the Bay Area in the last few weeks. It sounds like one of the guys got his car back, the other one didn't.

The cops said the only way you can stop this from happening is to use one of the brake peddle locks, or a hidden cutoff switch like others have suggested. He said they can get through the normal club in about 30 seconds.

I'm just so bummed out! I don't like the new TL design, and even if I did I know that I'm not going to have the money to get a new one even if the insurance company comes through with the full blue book value.

I figured I would post this up here so that other TL owners (in the Bay Area and beyond) would know that their cars are not as safe as they thought.

This really sucks!!!!

Last edited by Nijik; 10-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Dont know of any serious car theft problems here in the Chicago burbs and noticed nothing out of the ordinary about TL's being stolen??!? I dunno
Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by Nijik
After looking through the forums here I figured this would be the best place to post my loss, and what I've found out.

I just had my Silver 04 TL stolen from San Francisco. I thought it might have been towed because I had to park it on the street this last week rather than in my garage (my son is working on a project right now). But I soon realized that it wasn't towed, and was in fact stolen!

So, I'm talking with the cops, and it turns out stolen TLs are a problem in the Bay Area (and I'm assuming other places as well). The cops told me that the 04 and 05 TLs are a favorite of thieves because they are easy to get into, and they make great getaway cars for using in crimes. Easy to get into? What?

One of the cops said they know for a fact that thieves have been using valet keys to get into cars. But I know I didn't leave my valet key in the car because I checked to see that I had my two master keys, and the valet key in my house.

It turns out that there is a fourth key that comes with your 04/05 TL. It's hidden in the back of the owners manual. It's a plastic emergency valet key. The problem is that the company that manufactured these valet keys for Honda made the key a master valet key in essence. This means that car thieves just need to get into a single 04 or 05 LT, grab the page out of the back of the owners manual, and they have an emergency valet key that will open any of the 04/05 TLs :o

I almost fell over when the cop told me this. I couldn't believe it would be that easy.

So I'm telling this story today to a group of people at the corner store where I shop, when one of the people in the store says they saw my car being stolen! But the woman didn't realize what was going on because the guy who stole my car had a key, opened up the door and took of in my car. She only realized that something was up when the guy that dropped off thief the (they were waiting in the drop-off car "talking" for about 5 minus she said) pealed out following my stolen car down the road.

When I called the cops to tell them what this woman saw they said that it wouldn't help unless she could identify them or had a plate of the drop-off car. He also told be that two other TLs have been stolen in the Bay Area in the last few weeks. It sounds like one of the guys got his car back, the other one didn't.

The cops said the only way you can stop this from happening is to use one of the brake peddle locks, or a hidden cutoff switch like others have suggested. He said they can get through the normal club in about 30 seconds.

I'm just so bummed out! I don't like the new TL design, and even if I did I know that I'm not going to have the money to get a new one even if the insurance company comes through with the full blue book value.

I figured I would post this up here so that other TL owners (in the Bay Area and beyond) would know that their cars are not as safe as they thought.

This really sucks!!!!

each car has a transpoder chip unique to that car. there is no universal key. this made me
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If a thief wants it and has the means, they can steal it. You would be amazed at how some cars and what kind of cars are stolen. Some use elaborate methods and some the owners helps them
Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Huh??? There is no such key in the back of my owner's manual. I suggest your info is bogus. The whole idea that one TL owner could unlock any TL is preposterous, no manufacturer would do something like that.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Only things I always see stolen from Tl's are the wheels, emblems, and apparently a lip spoiler from a local member.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

This really sucks!!!!

So lets see one Post, joined in Oct. How valid is this information you provide?!! I call BS
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
So lets see one Post, joined in Oct. How valid is this information you provide?!! I call BS
you call bs??? i know its bs. there is no key in the back of the manual. there is no master key.