3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Remove Glove Box When Cabin Filter Changed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Why Remove Glove Box When Cabin Filter Changed?

Replaced the filter for the first time yesterday, and after examining the panel assembly, my question-

If the rubber upper stops, the door, and the door arm are all fastened to the panel, why remove the glove box assembly, or why does it even need to be dropped when changing the filter. Looks to me that if the 2 upper center pin tabs are removed, the entire assembly then can be pulled from the dash, undo the 2 electrical connections and you're good to go. Although it only took a short time to do the change, I really didn't feel like pulling the panel out again to do this test.

Maybe someone has some insight the next time they charge theirs.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Replaced the filter for the first time yesterday, and after examining the panel assembly, my question-

If the rubber upper stops, the door, and the door arm are all fastened to the panel, why remove the glove box assembly, or why does it even need to be dropped when changing the filter. Looks to me that if the 2 upper center pin tabs are removed, the entire assembly then can be pulled from the dash, undo the 2 electrical connections and you're good to go. Although it only took a short time to do the change, I really didn't feel like pulling the panel out again to do this test.

Maybe someone has some insight the next time they charge theirs.
there are the two screws in the center that lock on to a metal plate which connects to the dash. Also the two screws that attack the glovebox housing screw in to anoither metal frame that conencts to the dash.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
there are the two screws in the center that lock on to a metal plate which connects to the dash. Also the two screws that attack the glovebox housing screw in to anoither metal frame that conencts to the dash.
Thanks for the reply, but as you'll see in the following thread (description) there are no nuts/brackets attaching the panel to the dash. I just went out to the car, removed the upper stops and door arm, pulled the box down and saw no other items that need to be removed, except center push pins, before pulling the panel from the dash. The lower 2 bolts attach the door to the panel, and they need not to be removed.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=remove+glove
Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

i have 2 bolts in the center, i'll take a pic of it. BTW 04 TL
Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

these two screws are attached to the metal bar that runs across
Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

as you can see here, he does not have these
Old 06-09-2007, 10:01 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just completed a cabin filter change on my 04 TL. You do not need to remove the glovebox cover. But, if you leave it attached it is very difficult to realign the panel when re-installing. The glovebox cover is rather heavy making it awkward to steer the lightweight plastic panel into its correct position. Thirty seconds to remove the two glovebox cover hinge screws and a minute or two to reinstall, but it will save some aggravation.

I hope they modded the newer models with a trap door over the filter access. This would eliminate the pulling of the panel altogether. As always check the retainer clips and replace them if missing, collapsed or no longer springy.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

these two screws are attached to the metal bar that runs across
As in the thread, my '04 doesn't have these screws either. It may be slightly easier to remove the box, but just don't like the idea of springing the clips in and out of the sides of the "cardboard" box, nor removing and installing the phillips head screws in and out of the plastic panel.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

You can do this and then you won't have to remove anything at all. Just drop the glovebox and pull the filter out.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mangust
You can do this and then you won't have to remove anything at all. Just drop the glovebox and pull the filter out.
Although no pictures, I'm certain you're speaking of cutting an access hole in the plastic dash panel. As I don't need to drop the glove box, I bet I can remove the 2 plastic tabs w/ center pins, pull the plastic panel off, and undo the 2 electrical connections in the time it will take you to remove the glove box, not counting the time it takes to destroy the plastic panel assembly with a dremel. Reassembly the same quick way, just attach the 2 electrical connections and push the panel back into position.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it just me or is this whole thread a bit confusing? It sure seems to me that year-by-year Acura has made some pretty significant changes to the glovebox area, and I can't tell which would be relevant to my '07 TLS.

I think it would clear things up a lot (for me at least) if everyone posting how-to's in this thread (with pics) would also post the year and model that the pics pertain to.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Although no pictures, I'm certain you're speaking of cutting an access hole in the plastic dash panel. As I don't need to drop the glove box, I bet I can remove the 2 plastic tabs w/ center pins, pull the plastic panel off, and undo the 2 electrical connections in the time it will take you to remove the glove box, not counting the time it takes to destroy the plastic panel assembly with a dremel. Reassembly the same quick way, just attach the 2 electrical connections and push the panel back into position.
NONE of that is faster than what he said, and you can't see it once the glove is back up! No rattles even, so what's the big deal? No one will "wander" behind your glovebox and see the panel is cut. Not an aesthetics issue. I am definitely going to do it! I'm not due for another 13K miles tho. I'm at 7K now.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by darksom1
NONE of that is faster than what he said, and you can't see it once the glove is back up! No rattles even, so what's the big deal? No one will "wander" behind your glovebox and see the panel is cut. Not an aesthetics issue. I am definitely going to do it! I'm not due for another 13K miles tho. I'm at 7K now.
You're entitled to your opinion, but why not just do it the right way, and don't be too sure about the time until you do the job and see for yourself. The only deterrent I can see, is if the panel were to be removed in very cold weather breaking of the clips might be a problem, but of course most would know this and do the job in a garage. You might also find the same when removing the glove box, e.g. stop clips, box arm, and even removing the phillips screws too often.

What if you took the car to the dealership for a replacement, and when you picked the car up, they told you they cut an access hole in the plastic panel thinking it will be faster the next time the filter needs to be changed? Most wouldn't think very highly of that dealership.

I'm done!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

You're entitled to your opinion, but why not just do it the right way, and don't be too sure about the time until you do the job and see for yourself. The only deterrent I can see, is if the panel were to be removed in very cold weather breaking of the clips might be a problem, but of course most would know this and do the job in a garage. You might also find the same when removing the glove box, e.g. stop clips, box arm, and even removing the phillips screws too often.

What if you took the car to the dealership for a replacement, and when you picked the car up, they told you they cut an access hole in the plastic panel thinking it will be faster the next time the filter needs to be changed? Most wouldn't think very highly of that dealership.

I'm done!
I really wasn't saying that to be argumentative, just giving more perspective to the other guy's opinion on why it's faster the other way. For one, a dealer couldn't cut my ride without my sayso, so that really is a non-factor. To me, I guess the only downside is trading it in and revealing that I cut it. A boon to the new customer, but a deficit on my value nonetheless! Oh well...
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
I really wasn't saying that to be argumentative, just giving more perspective to the other guy's opinion on why it's faster the other way. For one, a dealer couldn't cut my ride without my sayso, so that really is a non-factor. To me, I guess the only downside is trading it in and revealing that I cut it. A boon to the new customer, but a deficit on my value nonetheless! Oh well...

I for one understand..
- Performed the "mod" on my 04 "quite" some time ago. I have no worries about future owners either - once they realize the benefit, its completely logical. My glove-box/housing and surrounding trim has never been off - not even for the mod.

Like Turbonut eluded to - to each his own.. But an "access" was the only remedy for me. COMPLETELY should have had one from Acura from the get-go.... Really no reason for them not too other than to facilitate "service" visits etc..
Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, too, cut the access after changing my filter. As I wanted it to look clean for anyone who might discover it in the future, I made careful measurements and cut it very precisely. To look at it, you'd think it was made that way at the factory. Next time I'm up for a change of filters, it won't involve tools and it'll be done in about 90 seconds.

Mine's an 04 and it has the two big screws, too.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Yup, I'm convinced! Access it is FTW!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
5th Gear

How do you remove the panel?

as you can see here, he does not have these

How do you remove the panel. I am afraid that I will break a clip.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM
5th Gear

How do you remove the panel?

How do you remove the panel? I am afraid I will break a plastic clip.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rleibow
How do you remove the panel? I am afraid I will break a plastic clip.
to remove the ones right near the dash, press in the center of them with a small screw driver and it will push in. Then pull the rest of the clip out. For the others that line that panel, just pull. You won't break them, have some confidence buddy!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
5th Gear

Thanks, I will go try now.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
5th Gear

Done! I did notice some stress marks in the plastic near one of the clips. I will worry about that next time.

Thank you for the help.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I think it's easy to change even with removal of the panel.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I also cut my access panel using a Dremel. Easy to do and will save me work down the road.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i broke a clip .. but just uses some sticky ass puddy and put int in place lol
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Mine was cut by the previous owner. PITA to get out (didn't leave enough room).
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
i didnt completley remove it, i just let it hang down and replaced it. easy 5 min process
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

Has anyone cut a hole in the access panel without removing it first? Just wondering if you could do this and never have to remove the panel in the first place. Does anyone see any problems with this?