Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a 2007 Camry SE V6 replaced my beloved 04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why a 2007 Camry SE V6 replaced my beloved 04 TL

I have caught a lot of flack for making a personal move/change in my ride. I have enjoyed and totally supported this site ever since I joined 2 1/2 yeras ago. Some reactions have been very defensive from current owners, some sounded ignorant and some had the healthy attitude of live and let live! This is the forum to express our opinions because we can and live in the Land of the Free! Now I wanted to give a little more insight into making this "incredible backwards decision". I simply was impressed after riding in a friends Camry because the ride was smooth. Then test drove the SE and liked it much better. I assume that most readers have not had the opportunity to take a test drive in the 2007 SE. You really should do so, even just to satisfy yourself and to get a baseline for comparison.I personally would have laughed at the idea of getting a Camry before the 2007 mayor restyling and redo of chasis and suspension since it had this generic, forgettable, senior driver image! I have outgrown -must have hard core, sports car, canyon carving, rubber laying machine image. Maybe because I am getting older, more mature or simply have had the experience-been there-done that. With the SE I found myself going 20 mph faster without realizing it, it was so smooth. Powerful 268 hp has a nice little growl and the auto 6 speed keeps the torque band where its needed. The TL might have a little more stick, pulling .82 vs the .80, more bite on the hard braking but the difference is slight. TL has a nicer, thicker steering wheel and looks sharper with a more hunkered down look. It does look fast standing still, must admit that. SE has less of a blind spot, is more comfortable on the road for me and has better padding and side bosters on its seats. I wanted a stripper to keep the cost down and only ended up with a moon roof. The rest of the TL standard features like Blue tooth, Levinson system etc I never really wanted or needed. Maybe the best thing was to only to pay $2000 plus the TL, plus tax/tag for a very nice package that more than met my needs. You know you made the right choice when you get that warm feeling whenever you lay eyes on your ride. I bet that the SE will gather its share of rewards and best of tested! OK kids, enough rambling- lets enjoy these good things in life and be grateful for every new day we can get behind the wheel!! Happy motoring
Old 11-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only human nature that people on an automotive site get defensive when their bread and butter gets critiqued.

Also, you dont really have free speech here.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperStar
It's only human nature that people on an automotive site get defensive when their bread and butter gets critiqued.

Also, you dont really have free speech here.
haha haha
Old 11-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Why are we talking about a Toyota here????? A totally different class from any Acura, particularly a TL.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acurasofla
Why are we talking about a Toyota here????? A totally different class from any Acura, particularly a TL.
yes agree
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Why did you start another topic?! You already had one going with this.

No one cares why you went. As long as your happy that is fine. We had two of those 07 Camrys and they to me were a POS. But good luck.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Bro,

If you are happy with your decision, I do not understand the logic of repeated justifications for the switch to total strangers. Personally, I think it's not a wise financial decision to trade cars in after a couple of years unless the car is a headache, one can't afford the payments/maintenance, or it's a lease and the term is up
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

TLVR:

We're a month or so away from celebrating 150,000 miles with a beloved 1998 Camry. I own a 2002 TL and, I have to agree that the two cars are not in the same league. In our case, the Camry so far outshines the TL that the light from the Camry won't reach the TL for 100 million years. Our TL has been nothing but problems since day 1, and it wasn't until the TL came along that we really began to appreciate the Camry.

Since you do feel the need to justify your decision to us strangers, I figure I may as well step in and support your decision. You did not make a step backwards. Forget the badge that the car has, and the 07 Camry represents the latest automotive technology. Certainly no Honda owner can give Toyota flak for a few bad transmissions. The Camry is a newer, fresher style with the most up to date technology. The 3rd gen TL is past half-life. Congrats on your purchase and may your Camry provide you with the years and miles of dependable service that our's has.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Instructor

That is why Toyota has become such a monster in the automotive world, by making solid quiet cars. Everyone has different tastes and requirements and it does not seem as though the TL worked for you. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Yea but the new Camry is anything but solid. And Toyota cars have the highest recalls of any other manufacture. Now they stole technology and are getting sued by Soloman. They won't be allowed to sell another Hybrid in the states again until they settle.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
TLVR:

We're a month or so away from celebrating 150,000 miles with a beloved 1998 Camry. I own a 2002 TL and, I have to agree that the two cars are not in the same league. In our case, the Camry so far outshines the TL that the light from the Camry won't reach the TL for 100 million years. Our TL has been nothing but problems since day 1, and it wasn't until the TL came along that we really began to appreciate the Camry.

Since you do feel the need to justify your decision to us strangers, I figure I may as well step in and support your decision. You did not make a step backwards. Forget the badge that the car has, and the 07 Camry represents the latest automotive technology. Certainly no Honda owner can give Toyota flak for a few bad transmissions. The Camry is a newer, fresher style with the most up to date technology. The 3rd gen TL is past half-life. Congrats on your purchase and may your Camry provide you with the years and miles of dependable service that our's has.
Considering you are talking about two different cars than this guy is talking about, I hardly see it as support. This goes even further when it appears for this gen the tables are turned overwhelmingly from before.

Anyway, it is good that you are happy with your purchase. Does this change the fact that I think this is one of the more nonsensical switches someone can do for more than 10 reasons, no...

As far as road holding goes, just because it can pull the similar lat Gs doesn't mean it handles the same.

I'll stand by what I say, going from a bells and whistles Acura to a middle of the line toyota makes no sense to me. I would say the same thing if you had "had a loaded M45, it worked perfectly but you really liked the TL, so you got a base TL." I couldn't care less that you picked a Camry(hehe) over a TL, the apparent lack of logic behind a downgrade like that is what I find confusing.

Sorry

Mike
Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Advanced

You make as much sense as walking backwards down a mountain while attempting to reach the peak. Only way to go is UP UP UP!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:50 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Yea but the new Camry is anything but solid. And Toyota cars have the highest recalls of any other manufacture. Now they stole technology and are getting sued by Soloman. They won't be allowed to sell another Hybrid in the states again until they settle.

And the TL is?? Unless your talking spring rates/suspension, which drivers will always have their own desires/opinions...... But my definition of "solid" is the structure of the car and its components. The massive amount of rattle complaints alone with the TL would suggest that "solid" isn't a word that comes to mind..

Overall, I guess I don't know why TLVR feels he needs to justify or explain his purchase position... On the other hand, why must individuals say anything besides "Take care and good luck with your Toyota".......

Why all the "mine is better than yours" mentality........ It's not like he came back saying the TL sucks and the SE rocks!! He liked his TL but found something that he likes better. That tends to happen in life. I took his thread (albeit posted on an Acura forum :-)) as a short review on the differences of the new SE - and why he liked it - nothing more. Who cares if it's a move backwards, up-down, sideways whatever... The cost of the two vehicles may be different, but everything else including the "badge" is personally subjective.....

AS TLVR stated: "OK kids, enough rambling- lets enjoy these good things in life and be grateful for every new day we can get behind the wheel!!"

It's ALL good!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
We are not doing this. Go start this thread in Car Talk.