3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's still modding their car post 100k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
I'm keeping the TL until it dies so I doubt modding will ever stop.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
In my opinion, mod it if you have the financial stability and excess income to do so. And if you plan on keeping the car for some time to come. If neither of those apply to you, then don't mod it. Personally, my TL will be paid off in September 2012. Depending on how it runs then, I may sell it or keep it through university. Regardless, it's gonna' be with me for another 2.5 years minimum. I get my 105k maintenance + plus new tires this week. Hopefully the car runs like new again (or better), that might convince me to start modding it..lol

*DISCLAIMER - THIS IS LONG *

Seriously, I wonder if it's worth it to mod this car at it's current mileage. I'm sitting at about 105k+ miles. The car creaks, rattles, squeaks, etc. I don't know how the previous owner treated it . I'm going to do the 105k service tomorrow, plus change out an 02 sensor, and get new tires. Thankfully my dad is going to pay for the 105k service and 02 sensor ($800) and I'm grateful for that, but I still have to buy my tires. The way my finances are right now (all I've got is ~$465 to my name ), I don't know if I'll ever get to mod this car the way I want to. I.e. - supercharged, dropped, kitted. Plus, the 5AT makes me nervous as far as how much power it can truly handle.

I make $8.50/hr and I bust my ass for my cash. I always question whether I really want to spend my money on something that is losing it's value by the day. Maybe I'm too conservative, but that stems from me trying to be sensible while still having fun. haha. The way my TL sits right now, I have 26 more payments due till it's paid off ($300/month), September 2012 should be the last pay-date. Fortunately, my dad makes the payments. Combine that with my insurance every 6 months (liability only - $450/6 months) and you'll see that I don't have much money left over to mod my car..yet. :P

Truthfully, I love this car. It exudes such elegance but still has a hint of underlying aggression. There are not a whole lot of cars that I think are hotter looking that the 3G TL. But mines old now; 6 years/105k miles. For me to put $3-4,000 of work into this car at this point to me is absurd according to my common sense and logic. But, will that stop me from modding it in the future? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. It all depends on my financially stability in the future. Hopefully I'll get bumped up to a serving position at the restaurant (which will basically double my pay) and if that happens, I want to help my parents with there monthly bills since they pay for basically everything I own/eat (lol). Maybe I'll take the cell phone bill off there hands, who knows. haha.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
^^ I just want to say that it is impressive that you are able to drive such a nice car at a young age. I bet you make your peers jealous driving an jr. executive car. I drove a Caddy at your age and use to spend all my money modding it, lol! What a waste.

Don't take this the wrong way at all. I don't think it's financially smart for you to mod right now. Make school your priority. The price of mods becomes more justified and accessible as your income increases. It'll be worth the wait. Save up for now, your income will cover just necessities now. Modding requires disposable income. Maybe you could tint or put a spoiler on it, more than that ain't worth it. Some people mod just for bragging rights or street cred; no need to fall into that. You already have bragging rights driving a tasteful car.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
i have 103 and i just recently order a supercharger about a month and a half a ago
ct takes there time building them dame things. anyway do u guys think 103 is to much
to still put a supercharger
Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
All mileage is is just a number. IMO higher mileage doesn't mean a car is older. These cars are such that you can go 300K+ doing only regular preventative maintenance. As long as you can do that, go nuts with modding, if you've got the cash. Whether you have 100K or 150K shouldn't affect your decision as to whether or not slap some wheels on or get tint, etc. It's just a number, and if you don't plan on selling it anytime soon, mileage isn't anything bad. Personally, I get a kick out of seeing a car in immaculate condition, and later learning that it has 200, 300, 400K miles.