Sponsored by:

Who Here Is Still Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:29 AM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL

*Didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question;
How come I can put my ipod-adapter (tape-deck) in the MDX and turn the ipod to full volume with no problem but in the TL I get massive amounts of distortion once the ipod volume is above 3/4?
anyone? lol
Old 11-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Mine's pretty much stock

I chose the TL for what it is, not for what it might become. My highschool dream car was the Chevy Camaro (back in the late 90's) so to find out that the TL 6MT can do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds really pleased me, but I wonder if that big 5.7L V8 might feel a bit more powerful than the little 3.2

Anyway, I bought my TL used and it had tinted windows. I've added white LED interior lights (1.5W from eBay and love 'em).

I don't see any point in modding the engine/exhaust because I believe it is set right from the factory. Messing with it might change the torque curve in a negative way.

I say if you want a more powerful car, buy a more powerful car.

I did think about making the car's exhaust louder, but I decided against it. I used to be about small block V8's and glass packs, but now with children, I find "kids" with loud exhausts annoying. They wake my babies up. I wish they'd wait until they're on the street before they make all that noise. Thankfully, I now live in a neighborhood where most people don't run aftermarket mufflers....or blast bass.

How are you going to make your headlights brighter? Be aware that if you run HID bulbs in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, you may be glaring other drivers on the road especially when you are going over hills (fog lights). This is another one of my pet peeves...kids putting HID conversion kits into their halogen housings.

As the title says, I.e. - Performance and Aesthetics. I was thinking the other night about the car and I had somewhat of an epiphany in regards to "working" on the TL;

1) The TL is a 4-door luxury-sport sedan, not a sport-luxury sedan. If I wanted performance/handling to be my main priority I could have got an RSX, TSX or AP1/2 (yum) lol.

2) The car really is, from what I can tell thus far, a great car stock and left the way it is minus a few things.

3) It's got all the power necessary for day-to-day driving and then some, and maybe even enough power for the occasional race with some friends.

4) I'm a broke, soon to be college student and I'm making payments on the car so I can't afford to let the mod bug bite me that hard anyway.

Now I guess my main question is, who here has kept there car entirely stock or near stock and why? I ask because, I've gone through some phases in my 2 months of ownership so far. The most current and probable being the "keep it as stock as possible" phase. The only things I could realistically see myself doing to the TL are;

- Shaved Door Lock Mod
- New Sub & Amp Combo (not enough boom in the stock system, what can I say lol I'm a kid )
- Stronger HID's (low beams)
- Stronger Fog Lights (reccomendations here?)
- Debadged Trunk (maybe)
- Mid-Muffler Delete (maybe)
- Tint (maybe)
- Circle Blind-Spot Mirrors like B.Fizzle used to have haha

other than that, I don't know any true "bang for your buck" mods.

*Sorry for the long post guys.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:12 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
anyone? lol
mod your car and add an iSimple kit lol

my ipod comes through crystal clear and I can control my ipod from my steering wheel
Old 11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Type S is still stock except for the Window tint.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was hard for me not to mod my 2nd gen. TL but thats how it is. I had a blown shelby daytona with every mod known to man but when I "grew up", I decided my next car would be stock. But I do look at wheels and radios every month. Do what makes you happy but how long do you plan on keeping the TL? I would hate to see you spend all that money only to get rid of it in the near future. I do have 20% tint though.

Last edited by bret383; 11-25-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: addition