3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: After your Type-F fluid switch, have you had any issues?
Yes, I've had issues, not fixed yet.
16.90%
Yes, I've had issues, tranny was fixed by Acura replacment tranny.
8.45%
Yes, I've had issues, tranny was fixed by other than a new tranny. (Please explain in a post.)
4.23%
No issues, runs like a champ.
70.42%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who has had Tranny issues after going to the Type-F tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive had my redline fluid in for thousands of miles...my tranny is fine..i also changed the tranny switches also...oh yea i have almost 124k on the car
Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if I have issues or it's just how the trans works on the TL-S. My Type-S has always shifted from park to reverse or drive slower than I would like and much slower than other cars I have had in the past. Once in a while I get a rough upshift but it seems to be a little better after using redline racing fluid. If I drive the car hard it shifts very well. Firm and crisp. It's in stop and go traffic that is sucks.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackSampson
Not sure if I have issues or it's just how the trans works on the TL-S. My Type-S has always shifted from park to reverse or drive slower than I would like and much slower than other cars I have had in the past. Once in a while I get a rough upshift but it seems to be a little better after using redline racing fluid. If I drive the car hard it shifts very well. Firm and crisp. It's in stop and go traffic that is sucks.
It's pretty much the same thing for everyone that has switched to the Redline Type-F. What you're facing, most of us face.

Read the thread "Optimal amount of ATF", do a search. Adding some D4 fluid might help with the rough shifting.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:25 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worked for me

I agree with brz08tls above. I did the 3x3 with Red LIne F and put in new switches last summer/fall and everything was great until about 1k ago when it started to get cold here in Indy. I was getting some "flairing" as reported by others. As recommended, I did a 4x3 using 2 D4 and 1 Light Weight F. This combination of ATF took care of all issues for me. No flairing, no shuttering! It shifts better than ever. Fast, but smooth. It worked for me, hope it helps you and others.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I just got word that my transmission is being replaced.. 07 tls

good that they replace.. hope it lasts.. at this point i'm not too optimistic about the quality
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by bpowa
Well I just got word that my transmission is being replaced.. 07 tls

good that they replace.. hope it lasts.. at this point i'm not too optimistic about the quality
Did you replace your fluid to Redline D4 or Redline Racing Type F when your transmission went downhill?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Did you replace your fluid to Redline D4 or Redline Racing Type F when your transmission went downhill?

I replaced with 3x3 type f..

I don't think it was the fluids fault.. im sure it just loosened up the crap was was in there.

it was great for the first 3or 4k miles.. then I feel it starting to go.. same issues with 3rd and 4th starting to slip.. disappointing.. I has a jeep prior and the trans was replaced under warranty.. this turned me off and I sold it right after..

So much for jumping acura's reliability bandwagon.

same issue as this guy:
Originally Posted by lilsid112
As some of you know, I had my trans replaced by Acura about a couple months ago. I replaced my switches, filter, and did a 3x3 with Z1 at about 52k. At about 64k I decided to go the type F route and performed a 3x2 with Redline. At about 71k I noticed my trans having a hard shift from 1 to 2. Then from 2 to 3, and 3 to 4 it would slip at regular driving. If I was driving hard it would shift perfect at higher rpms and have no issue with it slipping.

Anyway I took it to Acura and they declared it was the trans on its way out after the tech drove it. Since Im out of warranty I called Acura Client Service and got them to cover most of the cost to Jun. After faxing him all my service records for my drain and fills.

By no means am I trying to bash the type F fluid, it could have very well been my trans coming to the end of its life before I switched.

Last edited by bpowa; 01-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

I replaced with 3x3 type f..

I don't think it was the fluids fault.. im sure it just loosened up the crap was was in there.

it was great for the first 3or 4k miles.. then I feel it starting to go.. same issues with 3rd and 4th starting to slip.. disappointing.. I has a jeep prior and the trans was replaced under warranty.. this turned me off and I sold it right after..

So much for jumping acura's reliability bandwagon.

same issue as this guy:
Interesting.. How many miles was on your TL-S when you changed the fluid? Sorry to hear... I was driving on a 4x3 of Type-F fluid for 8000 miles with no problem.

Recently I drained and filled using 2 quarts D4 and 1 quart of Racing to obtain a correct mixture of 65% Type-F fluid.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Interesting.. How many miles was on your TL-S when you changed the fluid? Sorry to hear... I was driving on a 4x3 of Type-F fluid for 8000 miles with no problem.

Recently I drained and filled using 2 quarts D4 and 1 quart of Racing to obtain a correct mixture of 65% Type-F fluid.
about 65k.. im not sure when its replaced should i dump the new and improved dw1 fluid or type f..

IHC what are your thought man..?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

about 65k.. im not sure when its replaced should i dump the new and improved dw1 fluid or type f..

I would say do a 65% mixture of Redline Racing fluid.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=optimal+atf
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm with the previous poster. For my last drain and fill I did a cocktail of:
1 qt Lightweight Racing
1 qt Racing
1 qt D4

Still running like a champ. I've been on Redline for about 45k miles with no issues, only improved shifting.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced

im just wondering why did they discontinue the z1 fluid. seems they know it may damage the transmission. all these years no one has a definate answer. anyone retired from honda corporate may know.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I wouldn't get too caught up in the perfect mixture.

You have two items to consider.

Viscosity:
Super Shift- 7.1cSt
"ATF" 7.6cSt
Racing- 10cSt
Lightweight Racing- 4cSt
D4- 7cSt
Stock Z1- 7-8cSt
Stock DW-1 6.8cSt
Those are off the top of my head but I believe them to be correct.

Frictional:

Racing and Lightweight Racing- No friction modifiers so they're similar.

D4- Similar to Dex III frictionally. A little less aggressive than Type F but more aggressive than stock. A very "safe" and better than stock fluid. Non controversial.

A great alternative to all of this mixing to get viscosity right if you want Type F is Amsoil "Super Shift". It has close to stock viscosity so there's no mixing necessary if you want all Type F.

If you want a less aggressive mixture you can use super shift with "ATF" or "ATD" which I ran for 40,000 miles.

Here's a link to Amsoil's "forgotten" fluid: http://www.thebestoil.com/AMSOILSynt...ls.aspx?id=991

I had great luck with this. Very good shifts, great cold pump-ability and similar hot viscosity to stock. I believe frictionally it's close to DexIII. No VIIs so that's a good thing.

I guess I could have saved all of this writing but this will help you make an educated decision. Choose the viscosity based on your climate and operating conditions. Choose the most aggressive frictional properties you're comfortable with if you want the least amount of wear. A "safe" mixture would be something like 2 quarts of one of those DexIII equivalents with 1 quart of Type F equivalent. I'll always stick with straight Type F fluid, I've had nothing but great results at nearly 107,000 miles with around 30,000 on Type F but people love to blame the fluid for any failure so it is what it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
bpowa (01-19-2012), MarsTillyS_07 (10-20-2014)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Advanced

thanks ihc. i guess i have to think about the new trans. i may just do a 2x3 of type f. every 1k miles or oil change. i did not think that these fluids get so delicate i worked at shops when i was younger and seems transmissions get very touchy in new cars.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Team Owner

thanks ihc. i guess i have to think about the new trans. i may just do a 2x3 of type f. every 1k miles or oil change. i did not think that these fluids get so delicate i worked at shops when i was younger and seems transmissions get very touchy in new cars.
If you're using a good fluid with less FM like Redline or Amsoil, you can go pretty far between changes. 50k is a safe interval. The reason for frequent changes was the stock fluid oxidized and broke down very quickly.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Mons shaver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm at 28K miles on a base 08TL and have been debating this issue for a while. I even have a post or two about what to do.

I drive mainly stop and go city traffic, rarely going into 3rd gear (sometimes never).

I know IHC and others have recommended to me that the Type F would be better for this type of driving since the tranny heats up more and puts more wear on everything. But I also do not like the thought of feeling harsher shifts all the time.

So I'm leaning towards a Type F blend (like in the optimal blend thread) or going full D4.

Will this be the best balance for my desired outcomes?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by magnod
I'm at 28K miles on a base 08TL and have been debating this issue for a while. I even have a post or two about what to do.

I drive mainly stop and go city traffic, rarely going into 3rd gear (sometimes never).

I know IHC and others have recommended to me that the Type F would be better for this type of driving since the tranny heats up more and puts more wear on everything. But I also do not like the thought of feeling harsher shifts all the time.

So I'm leaning towards a Type F blend (like in the optimal blend thread) or going full D4.

Will this be the best balance for my desired outcomes?
My car has less harsh shifts than stock on Type F. You can't feel them at all but they're quick and snappy.

The switches MUST be done with the fluid or you can get harsh shifts. If you have an '07-'08 I have no experience with those so you're on your own. D4 or a mix of D4 and Type F are fine for those years. And again, if you live in a very cold area, make sure it's close to stock viscosity by mixing with lightweight. The fluid being too thick for ambient conditions can make it shift too harsh on it's own regardless of what type of fluid it is.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by I hate cars
My car has less harsh shifts than stock on Type F. You can't feel them at all but they're quick and snappy.

The switches MUST be done with the fluid or you can get harsh shifts. If you have an '07-'08 I have no experience with those so you're on your own. D4 or a mix of D4 and Type F are fine for those years. And again, if you live in a very cold area, make sure it's close to stock viscosity by mixing with lightweight. The fluid being too thick for ambient conditions can make it shift too harsh on it's own regardless of what type of fluid it is.
I live in Hawaii. So does warm temperature or humidity affect it as well?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by I hate cars

Also, I recall someone (IHC, Swoosh, or some knowledgeable person) saying that with Type F at low speeds the shifting is harsher. Which is pretty much the only speed that my car goes.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I have an 08. The first thing I changed was the pressure switches then did my drain and fill with every oil change I'm on my 2x3 (2 Type F and 1 lightweight) and it shifts smoother than Z1. Just my .
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Well I got my car back for almost a week now.. New transmission with dw1 fluid.. it downshifts from 4th to 3rd a bit hard.. more like grip.. Kind of hard to explain.. maybe due to such a tall 4th gear to a closer ratio 3rd gear.. It does feel sportier and the shifts are great.

anyone feel a slight downshift grab to 3rd gear on a type s. I also had front and side transmission mount replaced under warranty..