3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is buying the 04TL and who has been turned away after testdriving it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Old Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is buying the 04TL and who has been turned away after testdriving it?

Hi, I am considering the 04TL. It is not available yet in Canada until Oct 16. I just want to find out after test driving the car, if people are still convinced or not and the reasons behind.

I am hoping to make a more informed decision.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

I'm buying one

I drove one last Thursday and I am 90% sure I'll get one. I was leaving town and did not have time to do a thorough test drive. My dealer always lets me take the car home over the weekend to get more acquainted with it. Once that happens I'll have a definite yes or no. I am also waiting to see several color combinations.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Advanced

I put down a deposit and was prepared to purchase without even test driving 4 weeks. Saturday I went for a test drive because I am waiting for my mt Anthracite/Camel to arrive.

No that I have been on a test drive I am even more anxious to get the car. I am worse than a kid on Christmas eve waiting on Santa. I almost bought the White/Parchment I test drove. I am forcing myself to wait the next couple of weeks though.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Racer

I drove one on Saturday, it was Silver with Ebony Interior, non-navi auto. If the car had navi and was a 6sp and I could get out of my current lease I would have bought it right there and then. I love everything about the car and think that it looks much better in person than in the pictures.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Puchased on Friday. Very happy with it after four days. I don't miss my 2002 at all. I mean, I had some regret when I traded in for my 2002, but I don't have the same regrets now, as the new car clearly blows the old one away in many ways.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

I've test driven the TL 3 times in the last 4 days that it's been out. I've also recently test driven the bmw 330 sport package premium, 2004 Accord V6 w/ navi. I've previously driven the bmw 530 and 540 in the distant past.

The TL is a great buy for the money. BMW cannot compare to Acura's ergonomics, navigation sys, stereo, and reliability. The Bimmer's excel in sportiness with better road feel. The steering the the bimmers feels like you are solidly planted on the road with large cushiony tires. Suspension is stiffer on the 3 series and just right on the old 5 series. The TL's suspension is softer than the 3 series and feels tight enough in turns. The new 5 series interior tactile feed back from buttons was cheap. The interior didn't feel as elegant as the TL's. I only wish the TL had less power steering effect so that you can feel connected to the road more. The Accord seemed to have just the right steering effect.
TL has notably better acceleration than the Accord. Bimmer's feel like they have more thrust compared to the TL. The TL has a nice exhaust growl, not as menacing as a 330.

Inconclusion, I will happily buy the new TL, knowing that I've tested the others and the TL is a luxury bargain.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Impressed

I drove a white/parchment, no navi, auto on Sunday in Cincy. There was only one guy at the dealership on Sunday so I couldn't drive the one on the lot I really want - the Satin Silver/Quartz/Navi. I hope to drive that exact demo sometime soon.

I'm currently in a 1998 Volvo S70 and I've owned several Hondas in the past. Bottom line is that the 04 TL just blows away my Volvo in everything from acceleration to interior appointments to ride quality. Hard to believe that my S70 was $35K sticker (got it for $31K) 6 years ago - essentially the same price as the 04 TL with Navi.

I really need to wait until after the first of the year to make a move, but I will buy the TL or the G35. I'm currently leaning toward the TL because of my confidence in Honda products, the test drive, the interior, etc. I have driven 5 Series BMWs and my father just bought a 330 BMW Convertible (new). The TL is comparable in ride quality/steering/acceleration to the 525 BMW but not quite up to par to the 330 BMW. Regardless, for the money, this is a phenomenal car.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:20 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Impressed

Originally posted by Wildcat Jon
I drove a white/parchment, no navi, auto on Sunday in Cincy. There was only one guy at the dealership on Sunday so I couldn't drive the one on the lot I really want - the Satin Silver/Quartz/Navi. I hope to drive that exact demo sometime soon.

I'm currently in a 1998 Volvo S70 and I've owned several Hondas in the past. Bottom line is that the 04 TL just blows away my Volvo in everything from acceleration to interior appointments to ride quality. Hard to believe that my S70 was $35K sticker (got it for $31K) 6 years ago - essentially the same price as the 04 TL with Navi.

I really need to wait until after the first of the year to make a move, but I will buy the TL or the G35. I'm currently leaning toward the TL because of my confidence in Honda products, the test drive, the interior, etc. I have driven 5 Series BMWs and my father just bought a 330 BMW Convertible (new). The TL is comparable in ride quality/steering/acceleration to the 525 BMW but not quite up to par to the 330 BMW. Regardless, for the money, this is a phenomenal car.
The TLS was faster to 60 than the 330 auto(especially the 330CI) and close to th manual and would kill a 525, you got me confussed their.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:13 PM
10th Gear

Just got back from spending a couple of hours with the new TL, and I have to say I am somewhat under whelmed. First, the brushed silver emblem on the hood, embossed Acura on the front bumper, and pseudo graphite panel on the trunk look cheap and tacky to me. The brushed silver looks like it will scratch easily and pick up fingerprints. Why couldn't Acura just stick with chrome? As far as the interior, the camel interior is hideous - too many colors between the camel seats, black upper dash, cheap looking fake wood trim and brushed silver. I don't know how anyone can find this attractive. I feel the ebony interior looks the best - at least it's basically only two colors. The hands-free function worked great with my Siemens S56. I could dial by stating the digits in the phone number, or one of 50 personal entries, although it did lack the ability to import these from the phone (as far as I could tell). The integration with the Nav system worked well also. After finding a place either by voice command or through the menus, pressing the call icon or dial voice command completes the call. The quality of the audio during the call was very good. The DVD Audio capability was awesome. I have many DVD-A tiles at home, so I took one with me. I was very impressed.
Performance wise, it was definitely an upgrade from my 99 TL - quick, great handling, quiet and smooth. No real complaints here. The bottom line is, I just didn't walk out of there with that "I have to have it" feeling I was hoping for. Maybe over time it will grow on me, plus I'll have a better chance of saving off of MSRP.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Old Member

Hi msteele, interesting thoughts. I am looking forward to my test drive next week. My hopes have been high, so there is a chance that I might get under whelmed too.

For the phone entries, you are right. I checked the Acura website and there is no automatic transfer of phone numbers.