3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where's your favorite set of twisties?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
The Dragon in NC is simply amazing - every now and then they close it off.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route 11 on the Big Island (Hawaii) from the south up the west coast. Smooth road, little traffic, FUN. Too bad I had a rental car.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
The Dragon in NC is simply amazing - every now and then they close it off.
Not to nit pick ... but the Dragon is in TN not NC.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:53 PM
DWP
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xpditor
1) the coastal highway (101) in California that rides the cliff edges on the way north to Monterey.
Not to pick nits ... but it's Highway 1 that runs along the coast past Hearst Castle and Big Sur. Highway 101 runs inland. Your average speed on Highway 1 will be about 25 mph because of all the lumbering RVs, but at least the scenery is glorious.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Monterey County Twisties...

Originally Posted by Xpditor
1) the coastal highway (101) in California that rides the cliff edges on the way north to Monterey.

2) Route 189 from Orem, Utah through the Provo canyon, past Robert Redford's place (Sundance) to Heber, then on to Park City.

Recently paved, usually light traffic (except on weekends), wide lanes, frequent passing zones, threading through mountain vistas, lightly patrolled, past several lakes- and some five mile straightwaways for testing the top end.

3) the road to the top of Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondak Mountains in upstate NY. New pavement, severe chicanes, precipitous drop-offs- not for the faint-of-heart.

XP (who just did #2 several times in the last couple of weeks)

Might be out of place here since i'm a 1st Generation TL in the Monterey County and couldn't help posting here... anyways... if anyone is ever heading 101 North Passing Soledad. Get off on Gloria Road Exit and cross the bridge over the Freeway and you will end up on Alta Street Gonzales. You'll come up to a street on your left called Gonzales River Road. Take the Gonzales River Road Left and cross the train tracks. Keep going strait through River Road and have fun on the mountain side twisting going towards Hwy 68... you will pass a CHP station at the end of river road where it turns into Reservation Road going to Marina and Monterey... Some light traffic... Friday nights go over to Old Stage Road for some "racing" lol... civics and whatnot...

Before Soledad... Another good twisies would be the road to Coalinga from 101... Just get 198 from 101 just passing King City... Dangerous though... no gaurd rails and its a big clif down... Not a lot of cars so have fun... can't go over 65 there...

Click here for a map...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Racer

Hmm twisties - bit short of them around here - all the roads seem to be straight But here's a couple...

I-15 south of St George UT (Virgin River Gorge) - freeway runs through a beautiful canyon. But watch out for Semis, especially if windy or going north (uphill).

Almost all of King's Canyon/Sequoia National Park, CA - stunning scenery. I can highly recommend going in June - roads were VERY quiet.

Beehive Road, Whitley Bay, UK - country lane the local kids used to race along back in my youth. If you hit the right spot at the right speed, you'd get air! Flying Fiats!

Titus Canyon, Death Valley - OK, it's a four-wheel drive road, but there's something cool about weaving through a slot canyon that's only 2ft wider than your truck!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally Posted by lovepo9e
Have made this run twice with the Crew. Dosen't get any better then this.Wentworth Springs Road. The only thing that sucks is there is no good eating stops
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome road!!! on my bike and in my car!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by reloaded
In the bay area..off of 680..in Milpitas..you take Calaveras (sp?) rd. A lot of people i know go there whenever and just race up and down that place..but i must say..it gets damn dangerous at the end..no protection from falling off the cliff...and that certain part of the cliff turns into a very narrow 1 1/2 lane..it ain't all that big. I drove my 2002 tl-s there one night..at like...5 AM..and it took me 1/2 hour to get to the very end...and well..i was a pussy so i didn't try shit haha. Also..it's like a backroad to a totally different area of milpitas. It's like run down houses/shacks/farmland...it's actually quite scary going there at night. One of my friends had stopped there and some guy actually came out with a gun. Luckily my friend still was in his car lol. But also..there are hella cops there now since hella people go there during daytime to race.
Calaveras runs from 680/Sunol to Milpitas. And actually I think there is a road that you can take off of it in Milpitas that takes you into San Jose. Be very careful! Don't go "racing" around there during daylight at ANY time. There are waaay too many cyclists and motorcyclists using that road.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:45 AM
9th Gear

Colorado National Monument

Colorado National Monument (American Flyers) has some fun low speed twisties and hairpins plus you have the added thrill of feeling like you might fly off the edge of of the cliff
Old 09-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Racer

IMHO some of the best and often least travel twisties are found in upstate SC. They say one of the reasons BMW build their plant here is that there was abundant "driver's roads" around here. Highway 64 which runs up in the NC mountains at about 2000 to 4000 feet elevation is nice but is way too crowded. But there are several roads that go from 64 down to Highway 11 in SC that are great. My favorite is 28 from Highlands to Walhalla. The one out of Rosman is good as well.

BTW the navi is great when running in unfamiliar twisties. When you are on a straight section and can glace at the screen, you can easily see what types of turns are coming up ( hard switchbacks, broad sweepers, etc.).
Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spyfish007
Not to nit pick ... but the Dragon is in TN not NC.
Right, I stayed in a motel in NC 'cause I left work late. It was all a blur anyway!