Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the Big Deal about the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the Big Deal about the TL?

So in about a month or so I'm expecting to buy a TL and I don't mean to be rude or anything but I'm starting to not see what the big deal about the TL is. Yeah OK good luxury features and performance wise it is pretty good but to me it seems like it pales in comparison to many other cars. I guess after looking more deeply into the TL I kind of wonder why so many people love the TL. I didn't know that a V6 Accord was up to par with the performance level of a TL so yeah...my plan for the TL was to work and earn money to boost it's performance little by little...but I'm wondering if that will all be worth it? Aghh sorry I guess I'm ranting I'm just confused is all. I had my heart set on the TL and I've been working hard to get the money and I just totalled my 93 Legend in an accident so meh.

Help. Restore my confidence in the TL...plz...
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

First of all....

You're 17 and in the market for a TL?? Most people spend their whole life to work up to a new TL!!!

Second of all, wrong thing to say in this forum. Fair warning.

However, within the next 12 hours, people will set you straight!!!

It's simply the best vehicle for $35,000 or less. PERIOD!!!!! Performance, luxury, standard features, reliability, quality. And if you're having trouble with comparing it to the Accord, ask anyone and they will tell you how VERY different the two are.

carcar
Old 08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donkeykang
So in about a month or so I'm expecting to buy a TL and I don't mean to be rude or anything but I'm starting to not see what the big deal about the TL is. Yeah OK good luxury features and performance wise it is pretty good but to me it seems like it pales in comparison to many other cars. I guess after looking more deeply into the TL I kind of wonder why so many people love the TL. I didn't know that a V6 Accord was up to par with the performance level of a TL so yeah...my plan for the TL was to work and earn money to boost it's performance little by little...but I'm wondering if that will all be worth it? Aghh sorry I guess I'm ranting I'm just confused is all. I had my heart set on the TL and I've been working hard to get the money and I just totalled my 93 Legend in an accident so meh.

Help. Restore my confidence in the TL...plz...
At 17 I can think of better options than buying a 30 something's type car...
Old 08-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Semper Fi

You got me their.

Oh wait good performance, beautiful interior and exterior, good features, great car to mod because it is not part of the tuner norm at least in my area it isnt. Oh yea who can forget the fun factor when driving the TL.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Instructor

im 16, i dont know why but i like the TL a lot unlike my other friends that want an evo, a sti, a rx8, and a s2000. maybe you should consider those cars at this age? otherwise here are my reason for TL

its different from my friends
navi to show off (if you get it)
the dual climate control (i dont know why but i think thats the coolest thing there)
the blue lights
voice controlled stuff
quietness (i like the sounds of turbo cars but they tend to get annoying after a while)

o yeah i dont have the TL yet but thats what i really want :P, hopefully my school grades will help me get the car .
Old 08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

Big deal about TL?

So ask your mommy to buy you something else.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez, you dont sound like you want a TL. Get something else then. Maybe a STi, Honda Civic, Si, etc.. a car that suits you well The ones who own a TL love the car a lot. Especially me. My first Honda product can the car hasnt giving me and headaches since the 1st day of driving it off the lot.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RTDyer
So ask your mommy to buy you something else.

hahahahahhahahahahhaha, thats a good one, wait....
my mom is buying my car too -_-.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro

Wow, 16 and 17 year olds deciding between a TL, S2000, STi, Evo, etc. Sounds like a tough life. I'm probably a little envious. I worked at that age but could NEVER have afforded cars like these.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Instructor

i think acura products have a wide audience. given the price of the tl, it is obviously targeted at a older crowd then the rsx, tsx, and the old integra, but because of these cars i think a lot of young kids like tls as well. partially due to the acura image and the sleek lines of the tl exterior. my mom is buying my car too....flame away

but honestly, you don't need such a big car at 16, personally i thikn you would be better off w/ a smaller car. and if performance is your main goal there are many other cars that perform better for around the same price range. tho i think the tl has an unbeatable mix of features at a great value, which is prolly the answer you gonna get from people here

good luck in your car search
Old 08-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Racer

well everyone my parents are only putting up half and i still have to cover the insurance. yeh i actually work hard to make my money and i'm in the work of starting up my own business right now so uh yeah...i wouldn't talk. in no way am i trying to downgrade the TL in anyway I just lost path as to the original reason why I started aiming at the goal of the TL. i will be keeping the TL long-term so yeah I'm thinking it would be a good long lasting car to have through graduate level studies...
Old 08-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Why at 17 would you put that kind of money into a car unless you have some rich parents doing it for you. Even then, they should be putting the money in an account that will earn money for you. Your goal at this stage should be to accumulate assets that will throw off money so that at 40 or 50 you don't have to worry about being under the control of someone else. Having a great car is nice, but it is not an investment. I see it all the time. Guys with very expensive cars that they can't afford. I will earn over $300,000 this year and I drive Camrys and Accords. The TL will be my up-grade gift to myself. I spend money on alot of things and I am in no way cheap. I had a Porsche at 21 and a hell of a lot of debt at 30. Take it from someone who been through job elimination. It's nice to have money in the bank, so you don't have to worry about it. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
17 years old looking for tl? two possible reasons
1. your are a white dude with a rich dad.
2. you are asian. knows how to manage money, even getting only 12 bucks an hour on part time, you are still able to buy a tl.

which one are you? i m asian.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Dude, you're 17....drop 24K on an Impreza and use the remaining 11K for college.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Instructor

2 should be changed to you are asian with a rich dad and knows how to manage money, even getting only 12 bucks an hour on part time, you are still able to buy a tl.

most asians who didn't come on a boat are pretty well off and are pretty spoiled by their parents, for example in the form of a nice car...as cars are a status of symbol, especially in asia

asian guys really like tls a lot, at least from my experience...again due to partially to acura image and sleek exterior

haha golf i wish college only costed 11k
Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 PM
2005 WDP TL

If a 17 year old invests 2000 per year into a retirement account for 10 years and then never invests another dime the rest of his life he will have a little over a million dolllars on his 67th birthday. Not bad for a 20,000 dollar investment. I wish I was seventeen. I would drive a piece of crap and do that. Oh wait when I was 17 I did have a crappy van.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Look, I'll accept that this is a legit post. I can see how someone can get revved up on the TL, then come here and see all the bitching and get turned off. You guys who have the car are "sold" (in more ways than one), so a lot of you will fly to the defense of the car. But there's lots of good iron out there today, and it ain't as clear-cut to some of us as it is to you who have plunked down all those sheckles and need to justify it.

The TL's a killer car, no doubt, but so are several other cars in the same general price range. Maybe this guy needs to spend some time with a G35 or WRX or something, and decide whether the TL is for him or not. Doubt is sometimes a healthy thing, so don't beat him up for having it.

Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

it is extremely hard to tell a 17 yr old to not spend 20,000 if he has it, even older "wiser" people who have extra money lying around usually make some kind of an impulse purchase. human nature?

donkeykang is your last name kang? if so there's a lot of great first name combinations

m favorites:
free kang
mexi kang
joe kang
burger kang
king kang
suh kang

all in jest
Old 08-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Advanced

I agree with Mike...the TL is not the only great car out there and to a large extent beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know a lot of people who own everything from Buicks to BMWs who swear by their cars. This guy should check out the TL; however, it's likely that there are other cars out there such as the WRX, Evo, RX-8, etc that may be more appropriate for a 17 year old.

Of course, he's still a lucky bastard to be looking at TL's at that age....I drove an 1985 Dodge Aries when I was 17....try picking up chicks in that!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Go Giants!!

You guys have said it all...I'm not going to say a word, except to say look at my list of cars before I got my TL

• ’64 Willy Jeep CJ-5 (used 100,000 mi) (Brown/Tan) (age 17)
• ’67 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (used 60,000 mi) (White/Black) (age 18)
• ’62 Ford Thunderbird (used 50,000 mi) (Turquoise/Turquoise)(age 18)
• ’71 Chevy Caprice Classic (used 120,000 mi) (Rust/Black) (age 19)
• ’77 Subaru 2dr something or other (used 70,000 mi) (Tan/Tan)(age 20)
• ’79 BMW 733i (used 80,000 miles) (Blue/Black)(age 25)
• ’81 BMW 528e (used 67,000 miles) (Charcoal/Burgundy)(age 26)
• ’89 Ford Taurus SHO (new!) (Red/Grey) (age 28)
• ’91 Chrysler Conquest Turbo (used 1,700 miles)(Silver/Burgundy) (age 30)
• ’93 Jeep Grand Cherokee (new) (Green/Grey) (age 33)
• ’97 Infiniti I30t (new) (Gold/Parchment) (age 36)
• ’04 Acura TL (new) (SSM/Ebony)(age 42)
Old 08-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Man.........I didnt even have a car until my 2nd year in college and it was a beater celica at that, drove that thing to the ground for 7 years. Like one of the previous posters, you should put that 20K or whatever into an investment account and watch your money grow. Compound interest is your friend, when you are young.

If you do that, by the time you are 30 something, you will be laughing at all your buddies, when you have $$$$ and they are worried about being outsourced, losing their jobs, deep in debt, etc...

Always pay yourself first....delayed gratification is worth the wait.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Racer

Get out of this forum.....NOW! lol jay kay. Im also 17 now. I love every pushpin in Estelle (my TL). But people, lets not make this into another "Your such and such an age, thus you cannot drive car X because Im upset that under the circumstances (Wealthy family. hard Working person, Extra $$ on hand, Family vehicle etc) you drive a car that I can only now afford as I am going over the hill and I am only making this post because I envy being able to afford a TL when i was your age" thread...ok? I hate those, lol. thanks! btw TL rocks all!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
If a 17 year old invests 2000 per year into a retirement account for 10 years and then never invests another dime the rest of his life he will have a little over a million dolllars on his 67th birthday. Not bad for a 20,000 dollar investment. I wish I was seventeen. I would drive a piece of crap and do that. Oh wait when I was 17 I did have a crappy van.
lol, bet U could fit more chicks in the van than in the TL though
Old 08-19-2004, 10:50 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Wow, you guys seem to have no problem attacking people younger than you because they're fortunate enough to get nice things from their parents. Chances are, any 17 year old getting a TL (including myself) isn't going to have to worry about paying for college. If they did, they wouldn't be getting an expensive car.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:56 PM