What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003 | 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

Please let us know what you suggest I buy.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2003 | 12:28 PM
Instructor

I use Einszett Lederpflege. It is a cleaner/conditioner combo. Seems to work well - no gloss, mild fragrance, etc.
Old 12-26-2003 | 12:45 PM
G35 Freak

I personally prefer Lexol Cleaner and separate conditioner. I have been using it in my cars for a while now and it has a nice leather smell and isn't greasy like others can be. My leather is extrememly soft using this. I may go a little overboard since I do use it once every two months or so. I feel that there can never be enough moisturizers in leather (kind of like when my wife puts on lotion everyday!!!)
Old 12-26-2003 | 01:10 PM
Advanced

I'm not sure how other leather cleaner/conditioner smells but I know that the Zaino Leather cleaner/conditioner smells like leather. If you want to keep that leather smell, go with Zaino.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-26-2003 | 01:35 PM
Racer

All the Bimmer guys use Lexol. I've used it with good results.
Old 12-26-2003 | 02:41 PM
Instructor

or bmw leather cleaner.conditioner

combined product, $15.00 comes with 3 applicaors,wipes . and plastic gloves, to keep your hands clean.
Old 12-26-2003 | 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Lexol is the best stuff
Old 12-26-2003 | 04:05 PM
Banned

Re: What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

Originally posted by acuraddict
Please let us know what you suggest I buy.

Thanks!

Different people have differing opinions, but this is a current poll (listed below) among Corvette owners as to which product they like to use. I think many of them vote for Zaino more because they bought the whole car care kit, and love the polish more than anything. Let's face it, if you lay out 100+ for a product, your not going to go and buy a separate Leather conditioner unless you have money to burn.

I've never tried the Zaino leather care, but I have used both Lexol, and Pinnacle. I personally like the Pinnacle more because of it's leather smell, but Lexol makes a very good product. I use it on one car that has a light tan interior because they make a formula specially made for light leather that will not darken it over time, and use Neatsfoot oil in it instead. The Lexol is also less expensive than the Pinnacle in case that plays into your decision.

Zaino Leather Care (41%, 24 votes)

Lexol Leather Care (24%, 14 votes)

Pinnacle Leather Care (13%, 8 votes)

Leatherique (6%, 4 votes)

Connolly Hide Food (5%, 3 votes)

Zymol Leather Treatment (5%, 3 votes)

Meguiars Leather Care (3%, 2 votes)

Leather Magic (0%, 0 votes)

Mothers Leather Care (0%, 0 votes)

Connoisseur's Leather Protectant (0%, 0 votes)

(58 total votes)

I hope this helps
Old 12-27-2003 | 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

Originally posted by Z Factor
I've never tried the Zaino leather care, but I have used both Lexol, and Pinnacle. I personally like the Pinnacle more because of it's leather smell, but Lexol makes a very good product. I use it on one car that has a light tan interior because they make a formula specially made for light leather that will not darken it over time, and use Neatsfoot oil in it instead. The Lexol is also less expensive than the Pinnacle in case that plays into your decision.

I hope this helps
Thanks so much for all that information Z Factor. I think I'll try to order some Lexol on the internet, unless you have a suggestion as to the best place to buy it?

Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2003 | 10:43 AM
Drifting

You can buy Lexol at Pep Boys if they have one in your area. Of course that's about the only reason I'd ever go into a Pep Boys.

I just bought a bottle each of the cleaner and conditioner. Haven't used it yet, though. Most forums for various cars will recommend Lexol - it's somewhat of a "standard" response to this question.
Old 12-27-2003 | 06:28 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

Thanks so much for all that information Z Factor. I think I'll try to order some Lexol on the internet, unless you have a suggestion as to the best place to buy it?

Thanks again!
Your welcome

I tend to get my car care products from 2 internet sources. For the Pinnacle and Blackfire products (they also carry Lexol) I order from CMA

http://properautocare.com/

http://properautocare.com/pin-340.html

http://properautocare.com/lex1015.html

I also use

http://www.autogeek.net/

As you can see by navigating both of their sites, they carry most products, and have helpful "How To" tips.

You can buy Lexol locally in most places if that is your choice, but this is a good time to order over the interenet as there are plenty of free shipping offers, and of course you don't pay taxes
Old 12-27-2003 | 06:47 PM
Pro

Lexol!
Old 12-27-2003 | 06:47 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

How are you dealing with the fact that the leather is perforated? Won't the cleaner/conditioner go right into the holes or isn't this a concern?
Old 12-27-2003 | 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NBP04TL4ME
How are you dealing with the fact that the leather is perforated? Won't the cleaner/conditioner go right into the holes or isn't this a concern?
Excellent question! What do you guys say about this?
Old 12-27-2003 | 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

Originally posted by Z Factor
You can buy Lexol locally in most places if that is your choice, but this is a good time to order over the interenet as there are plenty of free shipping offers, and of course you don't pay taxes
Great suggestion. I was going to hit Pep Boys (don't know where they are, but I know I've seen them around), but maybe I'll just look for the free shipping offers instead.
Old 12-28-2003 | 08:25 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Anyone? I'd really like to know how you are dealing with this.
Old 12-28-2003 | 09:01 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally posted by NBP04TL4ME
Anyone? I'd really like to know how you are dealing with this.
As long as you apply the cleaner or preservative sparingly, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Hasn't been for me very often. The few times I've got some in a perferation, a properly used q-tip removed it.
Old 12-28-2003 | 02:26 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's the best leather cleaner/protector for our seats?

but maybe I'll just look for the free shipping offers instead.

I guess you didn't use the links I left in my previous post for you since CMA has a free shipping offer going on right now.

http://properautocare.com/

As to the perf question, I apply small amounts to a cloth and start with the solid leather areas, headrests etc., and eventually end with the main perf areas. By that time most of the excess is already gone. If I need to add more, I make sure not to over apply it, and it hasn't been a problem. Just don't directly spray it on (depending on which product you use that might have a pump or trigger sprayer), and don't over apply it to your cloth or pad.
Old 12-28-2003 | 02:42 PM
Advanced

303 Aerospace Protectant
Old 12-28-2003 | 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JAREKsTLS
303 Aerospace Protectant
Not as a leather conditioner

I know it says you can apply it to leather, but it does not have the proper emollients that are specifically PH balanced for leather.

I do recommend it for vinyl, rubber and plastic since it has UV protection, and is not greasy. It is probably the best product on the market for the aforementioned.
Old 12-28-2003 | 09:03 PM
Instructor

I agree with Z. 303 works great on vinyl and plastic, but leave it off the leather. Pinnacle is great stuff, I really like it. I personally know Terry, the guy that owns Classic Motoring Accessaries aka properautocare.com and he's a great guy that really knows his stuff. CMA is the producer of Pinnicle products among others such as Eimann Fabrik which is a variety of cleaning products that work great. Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner diluted 50% with water works great on tires and wheels. Never had a problem with the clear coat finish on wheels with this stuff. Sorry, I'm babbling. No affiliation with CMA, just really like what they sell.
Old 12-28-2003 | 10:11 PM
Racer

What about zymol? I saw the seperate cleaner and conditioner at Target and wanted to buy but wasn't sure. I have Lexol, and while it cleans and softens the leather well, I can't stand the smell of the conditioner, it doesn't smell like leather, in fact I am not even sure what it smells like, but whatever it is, I don't like it.
Old 12-29-2003 | 06:54 AM
Intermediate

The 303 is a great product to be used in between leather cleaning / conditionings. THe premise is the UV protectants in the 303 help maintain the leather from any UV damage, while the Lexol or Zaino keep it conditioned. Alot of convertible owners use the 303 in tandem with a leather conditioner, as their leather seats get alot more UV exposure. So if you use 303, be sure to also use a conditioner, it is not meant to be used alone on leather.
Old 12-29-2003 | 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TLProspect
I have Lexol, and while it cleans and softens the leather well, I can't stand the smell of the conditioner, it doesn't smell like leather, in fact I am not even sure what it smells like, but whatever it is, I don't like it.
This is my only gripe about Lexol as well, it's smell. It is still a great product, but it's residual smell leaves something to be desired. When I've used it on a light tan interior, I leave the windows or doors open as much as possible to help air it out.
Old 12-29-2003 | 10:30 AM
Team SSM Queen

I've been using Lexol on my saddles for years and it really keeps the leather supple, so it gets my vote here too.