3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the top speed of stock 07-08 tl 5at non type-s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
i hope this wasnt a smart ass question...cuz i thought we got past that in our relationship

anywho, i guess someone needs to take their car in for some work and get an 07+ rental. anyone, anyone...
Thats what you learned? Now I am disappointed.

D
Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 04TL AT and had it upto 132 once. Was still pulling when I shut it down. I would only ever do that again if I was on a closed road. I did it at like 3am on a stretch of highway. I was the only one on it for a while. Still was very stupid.

I really don't understand why it matters that you car can 'only' do 134. If you really wanted a fast car shouldn't you have gotten a stick and something ELSE? Obviously you want to go over 134 at some point. I just hope you don't kill someone else in the process.

If you find out that the base Auto 07/08 or base Manual 07/08 manual can go 140+ are you going to trade yours in on one? Just to say you can go that fast? Or are you going to actually GO that fast.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by jcondon
I have an 04TL AT and had it upto 132 once. Was still pulling when I shut it down. I would only ever do that again if I was on a closed road. I did it at like 3am on a stretch of highway. I was the only one on it for a while. Still was very stupid.

I really don't understand why it matters that you car can 'only' do 134. If you really wanted a fast car shouldn't you have gotten a stick and something ELSE? Obviously you want to go over 134 at some point. I just hope you don't kill someone else in the process.

If you find out that the base Auto 07/08 or base Manual 07/08 manual can go 140+ are you going to trade yours in on one? Just to say you can go that fast? Or are you going to actually GO that fast.
You REALLY haven't read the rest of the thread, have you?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You REALLY haven't read the rest of the thread, have you?
Acutally I have and decided to post anyway. I was trying to get at what the OP is going to do if he finds out the base 07 or 08 TL has a higher top end then his Type-S. He has two threads that ARE about the same thing really.

Top speeds in various TL's. In his other thread he talks about his potential fix this problem with trading in on a G37. On a public forum people can post whatever they want (Within the rules of the forum). However if they post things people think are crazy they might be called on it.

A few posts before mine someone said why not get a loner or rental 07/08 base Auto and find out? If it was really THAT important to the OP he could find out. But, instead we have two threads asking basically the same thing. Obviously there are some people with 07 or 08 base TL's that have run it to the limit and don't want to answer for whatever reason.

I still would love an answer to my questions. Is he going to trade in his TL-S for a a car with more top end just for bragging rights? Or is he going actually hit the top end?

I personally would not trade an 07 or 08 car in simply because it has a lower top end then another car. Expecially if I had no intentions of ever driving it at the top end. Now if I had other issues with the car then maybe. But, just the top end which legally you can not do on any road in the USA?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by don5504
Thats what you learned? Now I am disappointed.

D

i learned that you are still a dick, and ALSO have nothing to add except negative mojo. i was just giving a possible suggestion on how to find out first hand how fast it can go. but since it appears that you already know the most on this site, you probably already thought about that suggestion.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
i learned that you are still a dick, and ALSO have nothing to add except negative mojo.
I have to add my b.s. to this b.s.

You forgot the part where he doesn't seem to like people from California...somebody from California must have schooled him once or twice.

My bad, that was totally un-called for.

If the top speed information is that important to him, the OP should just hire a professional driver to go out and test on a closed course.

By the way, my base 07 tl goes really fast with the wheels off the ground. lol
there, now are you happy?

My response is a total waste of bandwidth....but who cares
Oh, and I can justify what I said cause I am from California
Old 05-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by jcondon
Acutally I have and decided to post anyway. I was trying to get at what the OP is going to do if he finds out the base 07 or 08 TL has a higher top end then his Type-S. He has two threads that ARE about the same thing really.

Top speeds in various TL's. In his other thread he talks about his potential fix this problem with trading in on a G37. On a public forum people can post whatever they want (Within the rules of the forum). However if they post things people think are crazy they might be called on it.

A few posts before mine someone said why not get a loner or rental 07/08 base Auto and find out? If it was really THAT important to the OP he could find out. But, instead we have two threads asking basically the same thing. Obviously there are some people with 07 or 08 base TL's that have run it to the limit and don't want to answer for whatever reason.

I still would love an answer to my questions. Is he going to trade in his TL-S for a a car with more top end just for bragging rights? Or is he going actually hit the top end?

I personally would not trade an 07 or 08 car in simply because it has a lower top end then another car. Expecially if I had no intentions of ever driving it at the top end. Now if I had other issues with the car then maybe. But, just the top end which legally you can not do on any road in the USA?
I'm curious as to the answer to the top speed question. I don't own a type "S" but it still intrigues me and I have no intention of ever doing another top speed run. I don't race the TL and I certainly don't brag about my top end, in fact I never really talk about my car to other people but I'm still curious just because. I think the assumption is that Acura carried over the speed limiter from the RL to the auto type s.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think the assumption is that Acura carried over the speed limiter from the RL to the auto type s.
Yes. Two scenarios

A.) All TL with the RL borrowed tranny have the same limit as the RL at 134.

B. ) Just the TYPE-S AUTO since it borrowed the engine AND the tranny.

This thread is an attempt to prove scenario A. correct.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by scv76
I have to add my b.s. to this b.s.

You forgot the part where he doesn't seem to like people from California...somebody from California must have schooled him once or twice.

My bad, that was totally un-called for.

If the top speed information is that important to him, the OP should just hire a professional driver to go out and test on a closed course.

By the way, my base 07 tl goes really fast with the wheels off the ground. lol
there, now are you happy?

My response is a total waste of bandwidth....but who cares
Oh, and I can justify what I said cause I am from California
Its just to me it seems that people from California have a tendency to like to tell everyone else how to conduct their lives. As if living in or being from California gives anyone the right to do so. Pffft

And its obvious that the entire threads were not read because yall would know I would most likely not get rid of the car unless I could do an even swap with a g35 sedan. And since I found out thats not possible that keeping the car would make the most sound financial decision and that I would simple try to find a solution instead of getting rid of the car.

D
Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To everyone who post "why do you need..., who cares if you can only...blah blah blah, you're missing the point of this thread. It would be interesting to know if/why Acura would put a limiter (or something else) on the tl-s auto and not the tl-s manual nor tl-p manual and maybe tl-p auto.

He's not asking people to go out and try it. He's just asking if someone who has a tl-p auto has maxed out their car and if so, to provide feedback.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Full of water...

I love Don!!!! I wanna give him a big old bear hug, or maybe just a .

Maybe this will help, if only a little....

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/733/releases/3747

5-SPEED SEQUENTIAL SPORTSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Both the TL and TL Type-S receive an all-new 5-speed automatic transmission for 2007. With a 4-shaft design with higher torque capacity, it is more robust than its predecessor, but also more compact. It also features slightly revised ratios, new shift control logic for each model and Grade Logic Control and, on the Type-S, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Mechanically related to the transmission that made its debut in the 2005 RL, the 2007 TL unit has modifications to adapt it to the front-wheel drive TL platform.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

I love myself!!

5-SPEED SEQUENTIAL SPORTSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Both the TL and TL Type-S receive an all-new 5-speed automatic transmission for 2007. With a 4-shaft design with higher torque capacity, it is more robust than its predecessor, but also more compact. It also features slightly revised ratios, new shift control logic for each model and Grade Logic Control and, on the Type-S, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Mechanically related to the transmission that made its debut in the 2005 RL, the 2007 TL unit has modifications to adapt it to the front-wheel drive TL platform.
I knew it already, the one I underlined up above. The '07~'08 TL and TL Type-S Auto has slightly tighter gears (closer gear ratios, by *slight*). It helps a slight bit on the acceleration.

So is it safe to say that NOT ALL, but majority (or big chunck of it) of the '07~'08 TL-p and TL Type-S AUTO are limited to around 133 mph, which would be controlled by ECU? lol.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Its just to me it seems that people from California have a tendency to like to tell everyone else how to conduct their lives. As if living in or being from California gives anyone the right to do so. Pffft

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

I think the CPU (ECU) is telling the components that if the car starts to exceed 133 mph the ECU tells the engine "Hey, stop revving higher. YOu stop biotch". The ECU also tells the engine "Hey, if you are engaged on 5th gear I will still tell you to stop accelerating when you hit 133 mph. You ain't going no higher regardless what gear you are in. Got it?" Hence you don't get the "jerking" when you get past 133 mph because the brake is not applied nor a fuel cut-off like jokerunm has mentioned it earlier.

It's all programmed, guys and gals. Ultimate bottom line ------> ECU

lolz.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission

It's all programmed, guys and gals. Ultimate bottom line ------> ECU
but big D's main question was whether both the 07+ TL and TL-S were governed to 130mph, and, if they had the same transmission
Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

So is it safe to say that NOT ALL, but majority (or big chunck of it) of the '07~'08 TL-p and TL Type-S AUTO are limited to around 133 mph, ....

Why not all? Seems they'd do that parameter one time in the ECU and forget it. IOW - they'd do all or none (seems to me anyhow).

Anyhow, why do you think it is NOT all?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Pro

Its nice to see that most of us are all on the same page now and know what direction to head in. I received my sevice and eletrical manuals for the 07 tlp/tls and so far I can not figure a way to defeat the system without possibly negatively affected something else. Like the speedo might not work. I still need to do some more research in the VSS and transmission input and output shaft speed. But in reality it looks like a computer wiz is going to have to make it work.

D
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Why not all? Seems they'd do that parameter one time in the ECU and forget it. IOW - they'd do all or none (seems to me anyhow).

Anyhow, why do you think it is NOT all?
I was thinking, that even when the RL tranny's were adapted on the '07~'08 TL/TL Type-S AUTO Acura might've used the left over ~'06 electronics (ECU) since the transmissions are quite similar platform between the '04~'06 and '07 Up. Hence a few of us(if they are not lying) TL Type-S Auto getting past 140. Once the left over electronics are gone Acura grabs the electroincs from the RL and use'em. Cost saving on this practice. It's just a thought. What do ya'll thing about that. Good question you brought up, Bearcat.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Pro

I was thinking, that even when the RL tranny's were adapted on the '07~'08 TL/TL Type-S AUTO Acura might've used the left over ~'06 electronics (ECU) since the transmissions are quite similar platform between the '04~'06 and '07 Up. Hence a few of us(if they are not lying) TL Type-S Auto getting past 140. Once the left over electronics are gone Acura grabs the electroincs from the RL and use'em. Cost saving on this practice. It's just a thought. What do ya'll thing about that. Good question you brought up, Bearcat.

That definately sounds possible. If that were the case I would imagine that the earlier vin models would be the ones with the left over 06 ecu's. But we don't have enough people to come up with the #'s to determine that yet.

D
Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Ricer Killer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clean>Rice
hey, i got an idea...grab your keys, grab a friend, and go on the Toll Road. tell your friend to lead you by about 1-2 minutes. then, with your bluetooth on in your car, maintain contact. THEN, floor it, and see how fast you go. your friend will be watching for cops in front of you. and you can bring a radar detector too. PROBLEM SOLVED.

and you can also get a video camera, and record how fast you can go. this method works...this is how we tested out my friend's badass G35...i mean Skyline haha.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Race Director

Type S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7lyvEU4FHo

Base
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7IolViX0Y
Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

Ahhh! Could be I suppose. I can certainly imagine a (any) car manufacturer taking xx hundreds or thousands of stock or pre-ordered parts and using them before changing to the "updated" part.

If correct though, it should be 2007 (relatively) early VIN numbers that go over 135-ish.

I don't think kosstick is lying. But, at 135 mph, the speedo only has to be off by 4 or 5 percent to indicate 140. Seems to be the conventional wisdom that at high speed the speedo is marginally unreliable. So, his indicated speed might have been ~140, but his "real" speed could've been a few percent more or a few percent less.

Hope you're theory is right though; I've got an early build '07.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 AM
Instructor

Until someone shows some proof.......or a reasonable reason...it's all jibber jabber. It's like talking about how big of a fish you caught.....

134 FTW, the rest are just jokers that might have a little too much pride to admit the truth. Hmmm...that video of the type S a few posts above looks familar.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
lil' kid in ya....

I just got a Type S about a month ago....so this speed limiter thing is my first small disappointment.....eventhough I'll never get above 120mph. So has anyone tried the Jet Chips to remove this limiter??? Did some research but I'm not too crazy about sending my ECU to them. Guess I can live without going over 134mph.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JVs_TypeS
I just got a Type S about a month ago....so this speed limiter thing is my first small disappointment.....eventhough I'll never get above 120mph. So has anyone tried the Jet Chips to remove this limiter??? Did some research but I'm not too crazy about sending my ECU to them. Guess I can live without going over 134mph.
What I have learned is that someone with an RL used Apexi RSM but there was never confirmation that it actually did eliminate the 134mph speed limiter. The only other possible option would be the HKS SLD but again from what I have learned no one has ever put one of those on their TL at least no one from here. I also called up HKS and they said it probably would not work. Besides the Apexi has much nicer features and has actually been put on an Acura.

D
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
3.2 VTEC

i've driven an auto version...it was verry hard after 130..i got to about 133 and it wasn't really moving after that.

my 6mt gets to 150mph pretty easy though, which is where the top speed limiter is.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
lil' kid in ya....

What I have learned is that someone with an RL used Apexi RSM but there was never confirmation that it actually did eliminate the 134mph speed limiter. The only other possible option would be the HKS SLD but again from what I have learned no one has ever put one of those on their TL at least no one from here. I also called up HKS and they said it probably would not work. Besides the Apexi has much nicer features and has actually been put on an Acura.

D
Thanks for the useful info don5504!
I figured once the TB Spacer/gasket, IMG , Injen CAI, Jpipe, and the ATLP catback are all installed, I will work on getting the speed limiter ELIMINATED!!!!