What is the top speed of stock 07-08 tl 5at non type-s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 09:44 PM
Pro

What is the top speed of stock 07-08 tl 5at non type-s?

The title says it all. If you have a model year out of the 07-08 range it is irrelevant or have one with a 6mt again it is irrelevant. I only want to know those with a 07-08 tl 5at non type-s what is its top speed?

D
Old 05-16-2008 | 09:59 PM
Instructor

fast enough
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:02 PM
Instructor

i also wants to know
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HeLLy
fast enough

D
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:44 PM
Instructor

I thought you would have figured it out from the other thread. The AUTO TYPE S most likely shares the same ECU with the RL because of the same 3.5l engine and tranny.

The 07-08 TL does NOT share the tranny nor the engine with the RL.......its the same tranny and the same 3.2l engine,so why would it be any different then the 04-06?

All TL's EXCEPT the AUTO TYPE S ----> Which means 04-08 TL and 07-08 MANUAL TYPE S ---->top speed -->150+. DONE
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:46 PM
Ricer Killer

yea, 150+ for sure. C&D says 152. i have gone past 130 easyy
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:57 PM
Instructor

Great, I made a mistake so I get to quote myself.

Originally Posted by jokerunm
The 07-08 TL does NOT share the tranny nor the engine with the RL.......its the same tranny and the same 3.2l engine,so why would it be any different then the 04-06?
I take the not share the tranny part back. It does, but without the paddle shifters, throttle blimping......not sure why Acura would change it in the first place other then simplicity.....might because its smaller and maybe weighs less. Anyhoo....same engine...same ECU...same governor. 150+ FTW.
Old 05-16-2008 | 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clean>Rice
For an AUTO tranny version?................. Do you have an exact link so I can take a look at it?

jokerunm, don't be so sure..... we don't have the proof yet if the regular TL 5AT '07~'08 models do 150.

Old 05-16-2008 | 11:06 PM
Pro

Great, I made a mistake so I get to quote myself.

I take the not share the tranny part back. It does, but without the paddle shifters, throttle blimping......not sure why Acura would change it in the first place other then simplicity.....might because its smaller and maybe weighs less. Anyhoo....same engine...same ECU...same governor. 150+ FTW.
So wait are you saying that the 04-06 tlp 5at and 07-08tlp 5at have different transmissions or the same now? The manuals are of no concern to me only cars with the 5at.

If it is so then maybe perhaps the 07-08 auto tlp ecu could be used. Also perhaps the paddle shifters are probably wired in very similarly to the autostick. In fact the wiring might already be there to possibly make the base 07-08 tl paddle shift capable.

D
Old 05-16-2008 | 11:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Clean>Rice
Was it an auto and how much past 130? Exact speed would be helpful. Anyways I am going to bed I'll pick this up tomorrow.

D
Old 05-16-2008 | 11:28 PM
Instructor

Doesn't make sense.......I can see Acura borrowing the tranny from the RL because they borrowed the engine.......what I don't get is why they would use the same tranny on the TL. (Other then a press release, I haven't verified if it is the same as the RL tranny)

Ok,well one scenario that would raise question is:

Acura doesn't want the RL borrowed tranny going past 135 and limits all 07-08 AUTO TLs to 135.

More likely scenario is...that acura reused the 04-06 ecu because the 3.2l engine did not change---->no inheritance of an ecu, no inheritance of a governor.

Again.....no manual on the RL, so they have to do some work...new ecu or modify the 3.2. ----> why wouldn't they do that for the auto.....because they woudn't have to because it was already there for the RL....
Old 05-17-2008 | 08:57 AM
Pro

Doesn't make sense.......I can see Acura borrowing the tranny from the RL because they borrowed the engine.......what I don't get is why they would use the same tranny on the TL. (Other then a press release, I haven't verified if it is the same as the RL tranny)

Ok,well one scenario that would raise question is:

Acura doesn't want the RL borrowed tranny going past 135 and limits all 07-08 AUTO TLs to 135.

More likely scenario is...that acura reused the 04-06 ecu because the 3.2l engine did not change---->no inheritance of an ecu, no inheritance of a governor.

Again.....no manual on the RL, so they have to do some work...new ecu or modify the 3.2. ----> why wouldn't they do that for the auto.....because they woudn't have to because it was already there for the RL....
Here are some articles and what not from other sites and sources saying both the 07-08 TL uses a new 5at

http://www.automallusa.net/2007/acura/tl/reviews.html

https://acurazine.com/forums/archive.../t-163915.html

Or you can google (07 tl uses rl transmission) and pull up as many articles about this as you like. From everything I've read the 07-08 tlp has the same transmission as the 07-08 tls sans the paddle shifters.

So as far as I am concerned both the 07-08 tlp and tls have a new 5at. Now I just want to know what is the top speed or the 07-07 tlp cars with 5at.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 09:12 AM
Trucki!!

Would it bother you so much it the top speed was 140? Maybe you got a dud.......I think you should sell your car an find something that you can take out on the highway and really prove you can kill yourself in.

Once again this thread may be appropriate in a Corvette/Mustang/etc forums because those vehicles are meant to be ran. Your pissed that your 4 door sedan won't do 10 more mph. This threads seems like a waste of bandwidth
Old 05-17-2008 | 09:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
Would it bother you so much it the top speed was 140? Maybe you got a dud.......I think you should sell your car an find something that you can take out on the highway and really prove you can kill yourself in.

Once again this thread may be appropriate in a Corvette/Mustang/etc forums because those vehicles are meant to be ran. Your pissed that your 4 door sedan won't do 10 more mph. This threads seems like a waste of bandwidth
Your reply is a waste of bandwidth. Troll much? Anyways if you don't have anything to add why even be in here? You say I got a dud. Well it seems everyone with an 07-08 tls 5at got a dud then. So now I am trying to find out if the 07-08 tlp has the same issue if not it could possibly be used as a solution.

So again why are you in this thread then? To tell me what I should find important or not? Who are you to say? Maybe you should focus less time on me and more on yourself. So again if you have nothing of value to add to this thread just leave man. No one is making you come here and read this. If you don't like it just go away because ultimately I am going to do what I want to do. Next thing you'll be telling me is I am wiping my ass wrong.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by don5504
Next thing you'll be telling me is I am wiping my ass wrong.
Might be true. Based on some of your responses, there may be something stuck up there...sideways!
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by apnorm
Might be true. Based on some of your responses, there may be something stuck up there...sideways!
What can I say? I am tired of replies like his and yours that have nothing to do with the situation at hand. I dont' get why people have nothing better to do than tell others how to conduct their lives. Are either of your from California? Because that would explain some of it.

Its not like I asked a trick question or in a hard to understand manner. So I don't get it. Either contribute or please move along. Speaking of anything other than the topic at hand is basically jacking my thread. I don't do that to others so please don't do that to me.

I didn't ask for peoples moral opinions or anything of the nature. If I wanted that I would go to church or call up my parents or a close friend of mine. I would certainly not ask for it here. So all your moral grandstanding by some of you is falling deaf ears.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:33 AM
Pro

Its funny though everytime I asked why you trolls are here when yall are not contributing anything useful there is never a response. Because we all know its because yall are trying to put yourselves on a moral high ground. I have a surprise for you. You're not any better than anyone else. So get a clue and join the imperfect human race you perfect individuals.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Give it up with ur top speed already. Very few people dare go over triple digits on the freeway, its not safe. Dont encourage them to try dangerous max speed runs.
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Its funny though everytime I asked why you trolls are here when yall are not contributing anything useful there is never a response. Because we all know its because yall are trying to put yourselves on a moral high ground. I have a surprise for you. You're not any better than anyone else. So get a clue and join the imperfect human race you perfect individuals.

D
I was just going to leave it alone so as to not "hijack" your thread but to answer your previous question, no I'm not from CA.

As for why I was on this thread? I'm interested to find out why the new type S auto have a lower max speed.

I know my response contributed zero info to your questions but it was just too easy and I couldn't help it. You seem to get way too riled up in your responses. My apologies for adding to it. Call it a weakness.

This is the way I look at it. Threads will go off topic. It's part of life. Kind of like the Toyota Prius. Can't stand those little f**kers. But I'm not going to get bent out of shape every time I see one.
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by juruki
Give it up with ur top speed already. Very few people dare go over triple digits on the freeway, its not safe. Dont encourage them to try dangerous max speed runs.
I am not encouraging anyone to do anything. I asked a question thats it. But for those who have taken their 07-08 tlp to its limits I would like them to speak up. I am not asking hey go out and drive your car as fast as you can for me. I am asking for those who already have to inform me. Please don't get the 2 confused.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:04 AM
Trucki!!

Thumbs down

I was just going to leave it alone so as to not "hijack" your thread but to answer your previous question, no I'm not from CA.

As for why I was on this thread? I'm interested to find out why the new type S auto have a lower max speed.

I know my response contributed zero info to your questions but it was just too easy and I couldn't help it. You seem to get way too riled up in your responses. My apologies for adding to it. Call it a weakness.

This is the way I look at it. Threads will go off topic. It's part of life. Kind of like the Toyota Prius. Can't stand those little f**kers. But I'm not going to get bent out of shape every time I see one.
Its people like the OP that make it fun to come on these boards. You can tell they are just soo riled up by some little thing that shouldn't make them angry. They stew over it until they get all pissed off then come on here to vent.

And to the OP, I know you will ultimately do what you want to do. I just wish you would do it a lot sooner so there's less of a chance to have a 3rd thread started on this same question.
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:10 AM
Pro

Well thanks for explaining and you do have a point. Honestly I could tell you were just poking fun and thats all well and good but what some of the people in here are doing is just pointless.

For those of you who don't understand let me try and explain one more time. This is not about you or your opinions about what you think is right or wrong for me or anyone else.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:11 AM
Pro

Its people like the OP that make it fun to come on these boards. You can tell they are just soo riled up by some little thing that shouldn't make them angry. They stew over it until they get all pissed off then come on here to vent.

And to the OP, I know you will ultimately do what you want to do. I just wish you would do it a lot sooner so there's less of a chance to have a 3rd thread started on this same question.
If you took the time to read for comprehension then you would realise there are 2 threads about 2 different cars. 07-08 tlp and 07-08 tls are different cars. So.....yea get back to me on that. I love it when people start spewing off at the mouth and have no idea what they are talking about. Is the word "non" in the title of the thread throwing you off?

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 01:13 PM
Banned

First of all, you are wrong....... His top speed is NOT 140. I don't know where the heck that came from. Some people use imaginations too much. Not good.

Second, his car is not dud. You need to back out one step, and read don's thread "Top speed TL Type-S Auto at 133~ 134 mph". Read the whole thing, then you will know more about what is going on.

Originally Posted by don
Your reply is a waste of bandwidth.
Amen.... I totally agree.

Old 05-17-2008 | 01:28 PM
Banned

Read Don's comments(the ones that explains about why he created these 2 threads) in this thread. Read them carefully before jumping into conclusions you n00bies, LOL.

I'm here to support. Although I don't own '07+ TL 5AT I will try to help anything I can.

Old 05-17-2008 | 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
First of all, you are wrong....... His top speed is NOT 140. I don't know where the heck that came from. Some people use imaginations too much. Not good.

Second, his car is not dud. You need to back out one step, and read don's thread "Top speed TL Type-S Auto at 133~ 134 mph". Read the whole thing, then you will know more about what is going on.

Amen.... I totally agree.

Read again. He never said the top speed was 140. He inquired, and I quote: "Would it bother you so much if (my correction) the top speed was 140?".

Some people do use their imaginations too much, but then again, others don't use their reading comprehension skills nearly enough either.
Old 05-17-2008 | 02:18 PM
Full of water...

The title says it all. If you have a model year out of the 07-08 range it is irrelevant or have one with a 6mt again it is irrelevant. I only want to know those with a 07-08 tl 5at non type-s what is its top speed?

D
I wanna join in this sooooo bad...i thrive on angry threads.

Anywho, instead of asking, why dont you go out and drive as fast as you can, and then report back what you find. Cuz if you dont want to drive that fast, why do you care how fast it can really go. And I know how fast my car can go, faster than is safe on any road.

Let us know what you find out....
Old 05-17-2008 | 02:36 PM
Team Owner

I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes....

All runs were on an open freeway in the early morning hours with no other cars...

I've had my auto 06 TL up to 150mph on level ground as indicated by the speedo. At these speeds it could've been off by 10mph.

In response to an older thread about governors I took the car on a 20 mile downgrade to see if it had a governor at 150. I hit 160mph before backing off.

Take it for what it's worth.

In response to to a governor at 130ish on the auto equipped TL-S, what were the factory tires rated at? Usually governors are set to the factory tire rating. For example on my GN, the factory tires were rated at 124mph. The car pulled hard as hell and then shut off at exactly what the tires were rated at.
Old 05-17-2008 | 02:52 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Read again. He never said the top speed was 140. He inquired, and I quote: "Would it bother you so much if (my correction) the top speed was 140?".

Some people do use their imaginations too much, but then again, others don't use their reading comprehension skills nearly enough either.
manual transmission came to help by "doing" the one thing he is accusing me of doing. good defense counselor

Basically this comes down to why would anyone need to go this fast in our cars? I believe it is posted on car and driver what vehicle top speeds are is that not good enough. Threads like this make Acurazine look bad......look how fast I can go in my car. I see to many news stories of people dying trying to figure out how fast their car can go.

Whatever though, I made the point I wanted to make and I'm done. There is no need to banter and bullshit this. You either get that its stupid or you don't.
Old 05-17-2008 | 04:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by blkaspec
I wanna join in this sooooo bad...i thrive on angry threads.

Anywho, instead of asking, why dont you go out and drive as fast as you can, and then report back what you find. Cuz if you dont want to drive that fast, why do you care how fast it can really go. And I know how fast my car can go, faster than is safe on any road.

Let us know what you find out....
Well I have an 07-08 tls 5at not an 07-08 tlp 5at. So driving to the limit in my car would serve no purpose. Anyways you certainly have not read the other thread of this thread because its clearly obvious you have no clue on what the purpose is. Again I love it when people spew off at the mouth and have no idea what they are talking about.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 04:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes....

All runs were on an open freeway in the early morning hours with no other cars...

I've had my auto 06 TL up to 150mph on level ground as indicated by the speedo. At these speeds it could've been off by 10mph.

In response to an older thread about governors I took the car on a 20 mile downgrade to see if it had a governor at 150. I hit 160mph before backing off.

Take it for what it's worth.

In response to to a governor at 130ish on the auto equipped TL-S, what were the factory tires rated at? Usually governors are set to the factory tire rating. For example on my GN, the factory tires were rated at 124mph. The car pulled hard as hell and then shut off at exactly what the tires were rated at.
Thanks for your reply unfortunately your run will not qualify for this thread. That is due to the 07-08 tl 5at and tls 5at both using a new 5at transmission derived from the 3.5 RL. The main purpose to seeing what the top speed of 07-08 tlp 5at cars is to perhaps use their ecu to get past the 134mph speed limiter barrier. So while impressed by your #'s it won't do us much good.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 04:22 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for your reply unfortunately your run will not qualify for this thread. That is due to the 07-08 tl 5at and tls 5at both using a new 5at transmission derived from the 3.5 RL. The main purpose to seeing what the top speed of 07-08 tlp 5at cars is to perhaps use their ecu to get past the 134mph speed limiter barrier. So while impressed by your #'s it won't do us much good.

D
Did the AT and manual type S cars use different tires?
Old 05-17-2008 | 04:30 PM
Pro

manual transmission came to help by "doing" the one thing he is accusing me of doing. good defense counselor

Basically this comes down to why would anyone need to go this fast in our cars? I believe it is posted on car and driver what vehicle top speeds are is that not good enough. Threads like this make Acurazine look bad......look how fast I can go in my car. I see to many news stories of people dying trying to figure out how fast their car can go.

Whatever though, I made the point I wanted to make and I'm done. There is no need to banter and bullshit this. You either get that its stupid or you don't.
Car and driver has never tested a 07-08 tl type-s 5at. They have though tested the 04-06 tlp with 5at and the 07-08 tl type-s with a 6mt. None of those are in question. They have never tested a 07-08 tlp or tls with 5at. And as I have said to others before you are right there is no need. But there is a want.

Is there a need for you to be in this thread? No so why are you here? Is there a need for you to own a TL at all there are much cheaper and slower cars out there? Is there a need? There is never a need. Like there is no need to tint your windows. Its funny though you seem to feel like you should be the one to tell others what they need and do not need. HA I love it because its so retarded.

Do you even know what the whole point to this is? Or are you just running on assumptions? Its obvious what you think this is about.

"look how fast I can go in my car"

You think its about bragging rights when its not. You are being too short sighted.

I realise those who have a different model year tl or one with a manual transmission its easy for you to question why is it important you go that fast when you guys can already go that fast. Sort of like someone with tons of money asking someone else who doesn't why do you need tons of money?

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 04:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Did the AT and manual type S cars use different tires?
They come stock with w rated tires capable of 168 mph.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 06:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Top Speed threads NEVER turn out "nice". It is inevitable that someone will disagree (and say so) with any reason to test the top speed of a vehicle. Especially one capable of speed in excess of 100 - 110 mph.

On the other side of the coin *someone* will always see how fast it'll go. The two sides are like oil and water. And *that* will never change.

However, setting aside the speed and the need (or lack thereof) for it, there is an interesting technical question on the table. If Don had not discovered it, someone else would have.

Accepting the fact that it is inevitable that someone with an 5AT, '07/'08 NON-Type S has gone (or will go) as fast as it'll go, let's hear what they found (preferably without the "you shouldn't do that" comments).

So, who's done it and how fast was it?
Old 05-17-2008 | 07:35 PM
Full of water...

Well I have an 07-08 tls 5at not an 07-08 tlp 5at. So driving to the limit in my car would serve no purpose. Anyways you certainly have not read the other thread of this thread because its clearly obvious you have no clue on what the purpose is. Again I love it when people spew off at the mouth and have no idea what they are talking about.

D
i am on this site every day for many hours each day, so trust me, i read the thread of that thread of this thread of that thread....

why are you getting so defensive and angry? and the only one talking crap about others is you. all "we" are saying is "why does someone need to speed", but we are not making assumptions about you and your knowledge base like you are doing. if you didnt have an anger problem no one would be flaming you. obviously YOU have not been around here long enough to realize that. and for your sake i hope my TL can goes faster than yours, just so i can "brag".

still, i got the response i was looking for. keep them coming

and the reason why i troll, i love that description, is because i want to find out as much as i can about our cars, thats all. but there is no reason to get nasty.

ok, so now i will add to the talk. from what i have heard, all 07+ versions come with the "new" trans, and i would assume they are all rated the same top speed.
Old 05-17-2008 | 09:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by blkaspec
i am on this site every day for many hours each day, so trust me, i read the thread of that thread of this thread of that thread....

why are you getting so defensive and angry? and the only one talking crap about others is you. all "we" are saying is "why does someone need to speed", but we are not making assumptions about you and your knowledge base like you are doing. if you didnt have an anger problem no one would be flaming you. obviously YOU have not been around here long enough to realize that. and for your sake i hope my TL can goes faster than yours, just so i can "brag".

still, i got the response i was looking for. keep them coming

and the reason why i troll, i love that description, is because i want to find out as much as i can about our cars, thats all. but there is no reason to get nasty.

ok, so now i will add to the talk. from what i have heard, all 07+ versions come with the "new" trans, and i would assume they are all rated the same top speed.
So what have you learned?

And now that you are finally on topic your assumption would make sense but we on the forum have heard different. We are simply trying to tally up some #'s to make a definative call on the matter.

We are all pretty convinced that the top speed on the 07-08 tl type-s 5at is limited to 134mph while all other model years or cars with the manual transmission are not. But we don't have a definative answer to if a 07-08 tlp 5at is limited to 134mph or not. Thats what we are trying to figure out.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:42 PM
Ricer Killer

hey, i got an idea...grab your keys, grab a friend, and go on the Toll Road. tell your friend to lead you by about 1-2 minutes. then, with your bluetooth on in your car, maintain contact. THEN, floor it, and see how fast you go. your friend will be watching for cops in front of you. and you can bring a radar detector too. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:30 PM
Pro

Well only problem with that is I don't have a 07-08 tlp 5at. I own a 07-08 tls 5at. That would work I suppose for someone who had one though.

D
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:41 PM
Full of water...

So what have you learned?

D

i hope this wasnt a smart ass question...cuz i thought we got past that in our relationship

anywho, i guess someone needs to take their car in for some work and get an 07+ rental. anyone, anyone...

Quick Reply: What is the top speed of stock 07-08 tl 5at non type-s?