3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what should u do if the dealer steals something from your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
what should u do if the dealer steals something from your car?

the car was in for service and i had a nightstick (expandable baton) in my center console (im a cop) stolen by the service department at acura of valley stream. i told the service manager what happened and he was so suprised and said that nothing has ever been taken from a car since he worked there. i really dont care about the baton but it pisses me off that they are going through my car. i dont leave valuables in the car but ive never had anything taken before from them. not even a few dollars i left out purposely to see what would happen once. i told them not to worry about it but the manager said he would investigate. if i want to make a compalint, who do i call?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 PM
aw1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
the car was in for service and i had a nightstick (expandable baton) in my center console (im a cop) stolen by the service department at acura of valley stream. i told the service manager what happened and he was so suprised and said that nothing has ever been taken from a car since he worked there. i really dont care about the baton but it pisses me off that they are going through my car. i dont leave valuables in the car but ive never had anything taken before from them. not even a few dollars i left out purposely to see what would happen once. i told them not to worry about it but the manager said he would investigate. if i want to make a compalint, who do i call?

did you tell the manager you a cop? if so, im pretty sure he (manager) will look into this.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced

this is a new one...a cop asking us what to do....i think you already did what you can do....by telling the service manager....
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
You could call Acura Customer Service and lodge a complaint. Not a lot they can do except take your info and maybe offer a freebie Oil Change.

From there, it'll just go back to the dealer and maybe a district manager.

I say, you pull up tomorrow AM in the squad car - lights flashing, horn/siren blaring - and get the Service Writer and Tech that worked on your car against the wall and scare the shit out of 'em.

Probably won't get your property back, but it'll be fun. PLUS they won't Fek with your stuff anymore and I bet you get REALLY GOOD service from then on.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate to seem like I may be biased here, but did you have the car washed while it was there? There are lots of people that have access to your vehicle when it is in for service, including the "detailors", which are actually just car washers at most dealerships. Seems to me they would be more likely to have taken it. Also, llarger dealers have lot attendants whose only job is to drive cars around the lot for the service writers.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I had a gold necklace stolen. I complained and nothing happened. Happened in Ocala FL at Jenkins Acura.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You could call Acura Customer Service and lodge a complaint. Not a lot they can do except take your info and maybe offer a freebie Oil Change.

From there, it'll just go back to the dealer and maybe a district manager.

I say, you pull up tomorrow AM in the squad car - lights flashing, horn/siren blaring - and get the Service Writer and Tech that worked on your car against the wall and scare the shit out of 'em.

Probably won't get your property back, but it'll be fun. PLUS they won't Fek with your stuff anymore and I bet you get REALLY GOOD service from then on.
Valley stream acura isn't good at all, I have been there once, and that too, due to an unfortunate event, but these idiots don't know how to do anything, in my case, took them 4 hours to mount a directional tire backwards. Also a tech there crashed a leased car while on a test drive after fixing the third gear issue (about 1.5 years ago). I would do what the poster I quoted said, it will get you results.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
18psi

i was thinking along the lines of lodging a complaint. it wont bring the item back which isnt a big deal, im just pissed that people are looking in my car. and yes the car was washed.

acura valley stream totally sucks. they broke my winshield but agreed to fix it. ok fine. then the winshield leaks and they fix that. ok fine. i get the car back and some how they broke my glove box and the trunk release switch and didnt full connect the winshield washer fluid line. wtf i dont get it. can they get thier shit straight already
Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
05 TL

File a police report. Atleast that way he can never say that somethings been stolen out of a car. There is a record... What if someone turns it in... There should be a police report so they know who to give it back to.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i agree u should come to the dealership in ur squad car and scare them like crazy, and then find a different dealership
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Team NBP

+1 lol
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
18psi

nassau county is not my jurisdiction. otherwise i probably would go there in uniform
Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
"(i'm a cop)"

So you are a cop? Will you honestly tell acurazine if you guys really do have quotas in giving speeding tickets just to help acurazine members out?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
go to Rallye acura from now on

acura of VS sucks.... big time
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Aren't dealerships covered by video cameras? So if they wanted to, they could find out who took it out of the car.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXinity
"(i'm a cop)"

So you are a cop? Will you honestly tell acurazine if you guys really do have quotas in giving speeding tickets just to help acurazine members out?
Depends on the State or Town/Province, because some require that the Police of that jurisdiction reach a certain amount of dollars a year on tickets.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i was thinking along the lines of lodging a complaint. it wont bring the item back which isnt a big deal, im just pissed that people are looking in my car. and yes the car was washed.

acura valley stream totally sucks. they broke my winshield but agreed to fix it. ok fine. then the winshield leaks and they fix that. ok fine. i get the car back and some how they broke my glove box and the trunk release switch and didnt full connect the winshield washer fluid line. wtf i dont get it. can they get thier shit straight already

They would have lost my business a long time ago if I went to that dealer.

File a complaint with Acura corporate on the fact that they keep screwing up.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by TSXinity
"(i'm a cop)"

ofcourse we do. particular units have different types. for example, troopers are all about speeding tickets while i have to do all moving violations. quotas are real except they are called performance objectives since technically quotas are illegeal under most police contracts. u are expected to bring in certain amount of tickets etc and if u dont u can get a bad evalution or have requests for certain days off denied
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Racer

Go there in you uniform anyway. it will show them your not messing around, even if it s not you jurisdiction a cop uniform will intimadate
Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dnd2984
I had a gold necklace stolen. I complained and nothing happened. Happened in Ocala FL at Jenkins Acura.
That's funny you say that cause that is my dealer. Damn the wash man!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
first of all...you're a cop! haha take some initiative?
that or contact american honda
Old 06-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
That bites......Perhaps next time your in for service lock all your items in the trunk, disable the trunk button, lock the glove box and give them a valet key. Hope you get your night stick back.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Roll up in there with your gun drawn (two guns drawn for added effect), with a crazy look in your eye! Tell all the service advisors to "freeze" then "get on the ground" and pretend to radio for backup on your shoulder radio thing, all the while mumbling to yourself and scratching your head with your gun.

It works every time, trust me.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you should ask for your nightstick back at some point too.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well since ur a cop id go pistol whip someones face open
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
dats fuked up.... i leave everythin in my car iPod, etc... and acura of manhattan doesnt even touch my track nor anythin else
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea man... that is pretty messed up shiet, to be stealing your nightstick out of all things... Do they know you are a Cop...and I would do what they say, file a police report.. I mean don't all cops have some kind of understanding with each other, if the nassau police heard that this dealership stole something from an officer's personal vehicle.. i figured they be all up on that shiet like white on rice.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
As an officer, politely tell (the manager) to talk to all of his techs (being in uniform doesn't hurt, either). If someone has the baton and say, has it in their vehicle, it's official police property. If caught with the item in their car, they can get in a lot of trouble (I would assume). Hopefully, whoever took it will get a little scared and it'll 'show up' in the garage somewhere.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
They ALWAYS say "we have never had anything stolen here before". I went to a Townfair tire place and they stole the few bucks out of my change tray. I went to the service manager and told them it was stolen. He said "wow, we have never had any complaints before" Then I told him that I had marked about half the bills with my initials, it would be easy to tell who took it. He said "I cant do a strip search of everyone, but if it happens to turn up, I'll let you know". Basically, fuck off, we don't care if we steal shit.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
erdoc48 you are 100% correct...

Also, tell the manager, if the property does not turn out, expect a formal investigation on theft of personal and police property. Screw with their heads a bit. And then who ever give you nightstick back, smack him with it
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Racer

this is the reason I would strap my car with a hidden camera and a portable hdd when visiting the stealership!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
B A N N E D

Wait a minute....you are a cop and you don't know what to do? Come on man. I'm not a cop, but have a pretty good idea what to do or what path to follow.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
B A N N E D

+2. That would be funny as hell!!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

that's very unfortunate. just call customer service and place a complaint. lot attendants and washers steal a ton of things. the few times i go to the dealer i do these things:

1. tell them no wash or vaccuum. one time my service advisor was trying to convince me to wash and vaccuum because it's free. i told her to look out at it. it's spotless. i cleaned it the day before. ha! plus, NBP + dealer car wash = heartache.

2. remove EVERYTHING. this may be a hassle at first, but it keeps whoever works on your car honest. and if they are doing any interior work it eliminates obstacles.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
^^^ Or simply put your stuff in the trunk, disable the trunk, lock the glovebox... boom...Also lock the midrest in the rear.

You can't steal what you can access.

EDIT: Give them ONLY valet key.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Of course you should complain and make your point known that you noticed and you are pissed. The truth is whatever action taken, you have to pretty much accept it's gone for good. Just remember next time to take everything out of the car that ain't bolted down. I for one even take out my SUBWOOFERS because I trust no one. Don't leave anything in there that is of value. The only thing I leave are my CDs and I really don't care if I lose one of those. I wouldn't leave an iPod, sunglasses, camera, computer etc in there, that's just asking for it! Why take a risk? I strip my car down at home before I leave.

My cousin works at a dealership, you should see how they treat customer's cars, lol. They don't care about anything and abuse and play with everything.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
^^^ Or simply put your stuff in the trunk, disable the trunk, lock the glovebox... boom...Also lock the midrest in the rear.

You can't steal what you can access.

EDIT: Give them ONLY valet key.
Remember to lock the ski access hole in the armrest too. Someone with a long arm can simply fish out what they want otherwise.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
NBP REPRESENT

lol i had my coin thing taken and the onyl reason ti was taken was cause it was full...

but they got me a new one...and best part, they filled it the way it was...but the service advisor saw it when i dropped it off cause i showed him a screw that fell off...he dint think i was tryin to pull a fast one on him to get like 5 bucks in change

but i agree with the other guys

i say you go in there with a partner and borrow his night stick, go intimidate them, and you'll never be fucked around with.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I say go in there guns a blazin'...

Or setup a road block just outside their building. It will give a reason to look in their cars...

Or park just outside the dealership and follow a couple of guys home and write them a ticket for broken taillight and then kick it out with popping a rubber glove and say "you're gonna feel some pressure"...
Old 06-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Under the bailment laws, they have to make you whole again. And bailment does apply because they took your car keys. You have them over a barrel.

Quick Reply: what should u do if the dealer steals something from your car?